PDA

View Full Version : Another gun thread

Machinegunner
04-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Deerfield, Ill just band assault style weapons including, any rifle, shotgun, or handgun capable of holding more than ten rounds. Law abiding citizens have until June 13 to turn them in or face a $1000 per day per gun fine. All weapons found will be confiscated and destroyed. So much for the anti gun crowd not coming for your guns.

d.o.spyder-rts
04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
:agree: Thankfully, I don't live there. More clarification will probably be needed. Pretty much all semi-auto weapons have the capability, depending on the magazine, of holding more than 10 rounds. Does this mean all semi-auto weapons are banned or are the magazines restricted to 10 rounds? Seems to be more questions than answers. Dale

ARtraveler
04-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Deerfield, Ill just band assault style weapons including, any rifle, shotgun, or handgun capable of holding more than ten rounds. Law abiding citizens have until June 13 to turn them in or face a $1000 per day per gun fine. All weapons found will be confiscated and destroyed. So much for the anti gun crowd not coming for your guns.

Going to watch this one with interest. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
:gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah: :cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus:

Perhaps the First Amendment could use some "Regulations"; to help prevent it's misuse.
The Founding Fathers knew only of these methods of communication:
Person to person
Public speeches
Newspaper articles
Books
Personal and business correspondence.

Perhaps communication should be limited to just the ones that the Founding Fathers had available... :dontknow:
No more:
Internet
Computers
Television
Cablegrams

MR. H1956
04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Isn't Deerfield part of a suburb of Chicago. The city that has more killings in 3 to 4 months than all of the rest of the country in 1 year. Just asking so don't have a cow.

Lew L
04-06-2018, 12:31 PM
The " law" is being challenged in court as we read about it. Even if the pro 2nd amendment side wins, the banning group will appeal and this will wind up in a higher court and then to a higher court. Where hopefully this ruling will be overturned. A huge % of firearms fit into this category and trying to confiscate them will cause chaos.

Lew L

johnsimion
04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
It's a waste of time. Unenforceable even if it were to be upheld -- which it won't be. Most likely they just did this to get attention and make a test case before the courts. They've already done that, but they won't like the result. Whatever law may be passed (not saying there should be any, okay?) would have to be national in scope to be even remotely enforceable. You can't do this at the state or local level because it's too easy to evade them. It's kind of like "dry counties." They don't keep their residents from drinking, they just make them go outside the county to get their booze and then they bring it back home.

2dogs
04-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Is to elect a pro gun sheriff or chief. Remember, you can't change Washington unless you change things at home first.

jerpinoy
04-06-2018, 12:52 PM
I support the ban of all assault guns and the student children in Florida who are trying to save the lives of innocent people in the future. If children are doing something what are we adults are waiting for??????????

vided
04-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Bob Denman
04-06-2018, 01:08 PM
I support the ban of all assault guns and the student children in Florida who are trying to save the lives of innocent people in the future. If children are doing something what are we adults are waiting for??????????

Define the term, "Assault Weapon". nojoke

Remember: those kids aren't doing anything but creating theatre; for the people hiding their true agenda behind the School Safety issue/

Mcubed45
04-06-2018, 01:09 PM
I do understand the feelings on both sides of this discussion. But I also think that there’s one thing being left out of the discussion. Having an assault rifle in a metro area like Chicago, LA, NY is a different thing from having one in western Kansas or Montana where there is room to use it. I really think that’s the rub. About the only thing you can do with an assault rifle “in town” will get you nothing but grief. The folks in the cities may very well have a point about limiting assault rifle ownership there, where it wouldn’t make sense in open country.

Can we possibly try to find a way to accommodate both sides?

Grandpot
04-06-2018, 01:13 PM
:agree:

Holly
04-06-2018, 01:18 PM

From another thread........

It seems the beloved little Parkland students are not very happy about change anymore. A few weeks ago they were happy to be exploited and bused to Washington protesting demanding change, and now these little "so called" angels got just what they wanted.

You see........ they are now required to carry at school clear backpacks. Now they are crying because their rights are being taking away.
They no longer want change because it now effects them. It's laughable !!!!!!! :thumbup:

2dogs
04-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Are just like the kids of yesterday. Anything to get out of class, however these kids are being supported and used by adults who have hidden agendas. And by the way, somebody please answer Bob's question if you can.

Fatcycledaddy
04-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Definition of assault

: a violent physical or verbal attackb : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces

an assault on the enemy's air base

c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)

an assault on drug trafficking

2law
: a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension (see apprehension (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apprehension) 1) of such harm or contact — compare battery (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/battery) 1b: 1rape (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape#h1) 1

I have yet to see a rifle do any of these things, but I have seen people do them.
I can have an assault baseball bat, car, knife, lead pipe, or any other thing i chose to assault someone with.
The item I am using is not an assault weapon, it is the action I am performing with that item.

This says it all as far as I am concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Nlb_qRoeg

easysuper
04-06-2018, 01:33 PM
I agree with Bob, PLEASE Define Assault Gun.

Holly
04-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Define the term, "Assault Weapon". nojoke

Remember: those kids aren't doing anything but creating theatre; for the people hiding their true agenda behind the School Safety issue/

An Assault Weapon is a scary-looking weapon that does the exact same thing as a less scary-looking weapon, but it looks scarier while doing it.

I hope that clears things up......:thumbup:

2dogs
04-06-2018, 01:44 PM
A meth crazed doper trying to carjack a little old lady's car by using a 12" butcher knife, is using an assault weapon. Now who's responsible here, the 12" knife or the person using it? The knife is nothing more than a kitchen tool.

wyliec
04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
:gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus::gaah: :cus::gaah::cus::gaah::cus:

Perhaps the First Amendment could use some "Regulations"; to help prevent it's misuse.
The Founding Fathers knew only of these methods of communication:
Person to person
Public speeches
Newspaper articles
Books
Personal and business correspondence.

Perhaps communication should be limited to just the ones that the Founding Fathers had available... :dontknow:
No more:
Internet
Computers
Television
Cablegrams

Could you really go without spyderlovers?

Bob Denman
04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
...Having an assault rifle in a metro area like Chicago, LA, NY is a different thing from having one in western Kansas or Montana where there is room to use it.
Can we possibly try to find a way to accommodate both sides?
What about the satisfaction derived from the ownership of a fine collection of noteworthy firearms?

I have many that I would never DREAM of firing:
My Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather William's muzzleloader, that he purchased in 1795.
My Great-Great Uncle Austin's first year production Colt Match Target .22 pistol
My Great-Grandfather William's Winchester 1897 12 gauge Shotgun
My Grampa Bruce's Colt Woodsman Target Model .22 pistol
My Dad's Colt Woodsman Match Target .22 pistol

None of these will ever be shot; the pride that I feel when I pick them, and remember the stories that I've been told about them: makes them priceless to me.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2018, 02:20 PM
I do understand the feelings on both sides of this discussion. But I also think that there’s one thing being left out of the discussion. Having an assault rifle in a metro area like Chicago, LA, NY is a different thing from having one in western Kansas or Montana where there is room to use it. I really think that’s the rub. About the only thing you can do with an assault rifle “in town” will get you nothing but grief. The folks in the cities may very well have a point about limiting assault rifle ownership there, where it wouldn’t make sense in open country.

Can we possibly try to find a way to accommodate both sides? Sooooooooooo if live in L.A., or NYC , or Chicago, and are a hunter or just want to go hunting in Kansas or Montana....... If what you think is the rule ...then those people either CAN'T or will just have to but their guns in Kansas and Montana and leave them there when they return home :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: ......... Now your thoughts aren't left out of this discussion :clap:...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-06-2018, 02:23 PM
If Lamont would just print a handbill: I wouldn't have to! :D

2dogs
04-06-2018, 02:24 PM

He couldn't. With over 88,000 posts his computer has become an appendage. :roflblack: Although he does present some good info and helps others, he also makes sense, most of the time. So, what would we do without him; aaah we'll keep him. :thumbup:

2Paw
04-06-2018, 02:24 PM
c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)

an assault on drug trafficking

By this definition an effort to ban guns could be considered an assault.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Just something to consider ..... If you haven't seen " RED DAWN " ( there are two versions - the orig. w/Patrick Swazey is the better one ) ...... Yes it's a Hollywood version of life, but if you think it couldn't happen then maybe you should expand your mind ....... not putting anyone down on this topic, but ALL possibilities should be considered ...... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
04-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Sooooooooooo if live in L.A., or NYC , or Chicago, and are a hunter or just want to go hunting in Kansas or Montana....... If what you think is the rule ...then those people either CAN'T or will just have to but their guns in Kansas and Montana and leave them there when they return home :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: ......... Now your thoughts aren't left out of this discussion :clap:...... Mike :thumbup:

There maybe a state or two that takes in more $$$ from out of state applications than they get from resident applications, or they use to. I know Idaho use to be in the millions.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-06-2018, 02:47 PM
An Assault Weapon is a scary-looking weapon that does the exact same thing as a less scary-looking weapon, but it looks scarier while doing it.

I hope that clears things up......:thumbup:

OH, so sort of the equivalent of a tarantula compared to a black widow.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-06-2018, 02:50 PM
A meth crazed doper trying to carjack a little old lady's car by using a 12" butcher knife, is using an assault weapon. Now who's responsible here, the 12" knife or the person using it? The knife is nothing more than a kitchen tool.

i think a kitchen knife has a purpose besides killing, a gun has truly only 1 purpose ..... killing people. if you want
to use a gun for a recreational activity you have 1 between your legs for that.
i don't know about you old goats on here but mine might be confused with an assault rifle. :roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-06-2018, 02:51 PM
What about the satisfaction derived from the ownership of a fine collection of noteworthy firearms?

I have many that I would never DREAM of firing:
My Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather William's muzzleloader, that he purchased in 1795.
My Great-Great Uncle Austin's first year production Colt Match Target .22 pistol
My Great-Grandfather William's Winchester 1897 12 gauge Shotgun
My Grampa Bruce's Colt Woodsman Target Model .22 pistol
My Dad's Colt Woodsman Match Target .22 pistol

None of these will ever be shot; the pride that I feel when I pick them, and remember the stories that I've been told about them: makes them priceless to me.

did you pull the firing pin?

MR. H1956
04-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Just something to consider ..... If you haven't seen " RED DAWN " ( there are two versions - the orig. w/Patrick Swazey is the better one ) ...... Yes it's a Hollywood version of life, but if you think it couldn't happen then maybe you should expand your mind ....... not putting anyone down on this topic, but ALL possibilities should be considered ...... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:
Why didn't Japan attack the is mainland instead of Hawaii. They figured to many crazy Americans had to many guns to fight back with. I know I'll catch the devil for that comment but its to late its out there.

MR. H1956
04-06-2018, 02:54 PM
OH, so sort of the equivalent of a tarantula compared to a black widow.
I kinda like spyders. Hint hint.

Grandpot
04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Why didn't Japan attack the is mainland instead of Hawaii. They figured to many crazy Americans had to many guns to fight back with. I know I'll catch the devil for that comment but its to late its out there.

Your comment is actually fact. Ten years after WWII, there was a meeting between Japanese and U.S. Admirals. That comment was from that meeting.

Lew L
04-06-2018, 03:23 PM

I made the mistake of using a quote like this and was trashed be a person who is now on my ignore list. I did research is though and did have a hard time finding any quote by a Japanese military officer. But what military ( at that time ) would attack a country that:

1. Was a huge ocean away ( think supply lines)

2. Had great natural resources and manufacturing capabilities.

3. Had many,many armed citizens/hunters ( think 2nd Amendment.)

4.Had allies ( Canada, UK, French underground, Australia, New Zealand,even Russia.)

But ----- A very high ranking Japanese officer ( Yamamoto ) did say that he feared that Japan had awakened a sleeping giant. Yamamoto was shot down later in the war by P-38 fighters.

So let the flaming begin,

Lew L

PS: Well Russia came around later in the European theater after Germany stupidly attacked them.

Lew L
04-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Your comment is actually fact. Ten years after WWII, there was a meeting between Japanese and U.S. Admirals. That comment was from that meeting.

After getting reamed a new one by a member on this site ( who is now on my ignore list.) --- I would really love to know your source for that comment.

Thanks in advance,

Lew L

2Paw
04-06-2018, 03:32 PM
i think a kitchen knife has a purpose besides killing, a gun has truly only 1 purpose ..... killing people. if you want
to use a gun for a recreational activity you have 1 between your legs for that.
i don't know about you old goats on here but mine might be confused with an assault rifle. :roflblack:

Why do I suddenly feel like I have been assaulted right along with 2dogs.

When you say guns only have one purpose, are you saying that thing you have between your legs also only has one purpose, .....raping women.

I am sick and tired of hearing about this and yes I know I could ignore it but it comes up too often to ignore.

I use my guns for target shooting and home defense ONLY. I had a weapon once that was used for killing other people but it was only on loan from my Uncle Sam and he took it back when I was through/sick of using it.

This thread started out on a civilized informative note, I wish it could have stayed that way.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Why do I suddenly feel like I have been assaulted right along with 2dogs.

When you say guns only have one purpose, are you saying that thing you have between your legs also only has one purpose, .....raping women.

I am sick and tired of hearing about this and yes I know I could ignore it but it comes up too often to ignore.

I use my guns for target shooting and home defense ONLY. I had a weapon once that was used for killing other people but it was only on loan from my Uncle Sam and he took it back when I was through/sick of using it.

This thread started out on a civilized informative note, I wish it could have stayed that way.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!??
the one between my legs i also use for peeing, i have to believe you are a woman & don't have one so you
would not know that. are you a rape victim? did they ever catch the guy?
how often have you used your gun for home defense?

ARtraveler
04-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Japan attacked and occupied Attu and Kiska Islands in the Aleutians in AK. They also did an air attack on Dutch Harbor (the Deadliest Catch base of operations now).

2dogs
04-06-2018, 04:12 PM
After getting reamed a new one by a member on this site ( who is now on my ignore list.) --- I would really love to know your source for that comment.

Thanks in advance,

Lew L

The comment itself may not be factual however the implication is.

MEP
04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
This article represents a pretty fair explanation of the issues on the table vis-a-vis the lawsuit just filed...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-assault-weapon-ban-lawsuit-tl-0412-story.html

It likely won't end with the 19th Judicial Circuit, the venue in which the lawsuit was filed.

ruralgirl
04-06-2018, 04:48 PM
The concept of limiting to ten rounds is laughable. I prefer the tube magazines on my two rifles (which would be banned by this insane law), but my pistol and my husband's rifle use ten-round magazines and came with extra magazines, more of which can be purchased at any time. So circumventing a stupid law like this is as simple as walking around with additional, loaded magazines. Or will they limit people to one magazine per firearm? If so, how will they attempt to enforce that? Lotsa luck with any of this garbage.

Navydad
04-06-2018, 04:51 PM
How many folks on this site have seen someone they know or love have to deal with a mental illness? How many folks here have been touched one way or another by a traffic fatality or know someone dealing with an dependency issue? I bet it is a lot more folks than have been affected by gun violence. Where are the posts full of outrage over those issues. Issues that take far more lives than firearms. it's amazes me that folks are willing to dictate what I, as a responsible firearms owner, should be allowed to posses and then they will get behind the wheel of a two ton missile and go down the road with their face buried in a :cus: phone. Politicians and armchair experts need to fix the mental health problem in this country along with the other needless tragedies that get ignored on a daily basis and then and only then will I be interested in any of their opinions. I am not saying that their opinions need to be silenced, I'm just saying I don't want to hear it. Once again the plan is to skirt the real issues and follow the rest of the sheeple down the easy path.

Machinegunner
04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Has anyone noticed that no one is talking about the insane individual that actually did the killing??? The original marchers wanted school safety, but now all they talk about is taking lawfully owned firearms away from law abiding citizens and abolishing the 2nd amendment. As if that will stop any criminal activity.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-06-2018, 05:14 PM
perhaps we should enforce the laws that we have and harsher punishments on them might stop some from
having ILLEGAL guns.

Bob Denman
04-06-2018, 05:17 PM
did you pull the firing pin?
Why would I? :dontknow:
Just because I choose to never shoot them; doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate that capability...

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Has anyone noticed that no one is talking about the insane individual that actually did the killing??? The original marchers wanted school safety, but now all they talk about is taking lawfully owned firearms away from law abiding citizens and abolishing the 2nd amendment. As if that will stop any criminal activity.
:agree: ........Only FOX news discusses this very important point :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: .......it's sad but true ..... Mike :thumbup:

Mad Mac
04-06-2018, 06:16 PM
How many folks on this site have seen someone they know or love have to deal with a mental illness? How many folks here have been touched one way or another by a traffic fatality or know someone dealing with an dependency issue? I bet it is a lot more folks than have been affected by gun violence. Where are the posts full of outrage over those issues. Issues that take far more lives than firearms. it's amazes me that folks are willing to dictate what I, as a responsible firearms owner, should be allowed to posses and then they will get behind the wheel of a two ton missile and go down the road with their face buried in a :cus: phone. Politicians and armchair experts need to fix the mental health problem in this country along with the other needless tragedies that get ignored on a daily basis and then and only then will I be interested in any of their opinions. I am not saying that their opinions need to be silenced, I'm just saying I don't want to hear it. Once again the plan is to skirt the real issues and follow the rest of the sheeple down the easy path.
:agree: Guns are already out there in the millions, whether they are semi-autos, revolvers, shotguns, bolt-actions, etc. and in the wrong hands, can be used in a variety of violent manners against humanity. Heck, a drug crazed, hyped-up, worthless form of a human being, can get into a classroom/school full of kids and beat them all bloody (since this is what started all of this to begin with), if the school does not have security measures in place to help prevent it. Whether it's a gun, ball-bat, knife, what-ever, it's just the times we live in now, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.The only thing this law does is screw the legal and responsible owners of such firearms. Once it starts, the slope just gets a heck of a lot slipperier from here on out. I'm tired of the whole damn thing also. I am a responsible firearm owner, and I have paid good money and taxes for what I own and it gives me pleasure to send some lead down range or drop a couple of yotes when I want to hit the fields. It's relaxing to me, and oh yeh, I lock them in a safe when I'm done using them! I think I just need the weather to warm up so I can get out on my Spyder ( paid a lot of money and taxes for that too) before the long arm of the Gov. figures out how to make me turn that in because it can haul too much cargo ( or I can haul too many 30-40 round magazines??) and if I get stupid with it, I can kill someone. Enjoy them while you still have them folks! Mac:yikes:

loisk
04-06-2018, 06:32 PM
This article represents a pretty fair explanation of the issues on the table vis-a-vis the lawsuit just filed...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-assault-weapon-ban-lawsuit-tl-0412-story.html

A very interesting read, thank you for posting this link.

vided
04-06-2018, 07:28 PM

MR. H1956
04-07-2018, 07:21 AM
The concept of limiting to ten rounds is laughable. I prefer the tube magazines on my two rifles (which would be banned by this insane law), but my pistol and my husband's rifle use ten-round magazines and came with extra magazines, more of which can be purchased at any time. So circumventing a stupid law like this is as simple as walking around with additional, loaded magazines. Or will they limit people to one magazine per firearm? If so, how will they attempt to enforce that? Lotsa luck with any of this garbage.
You have that right ruralgirl. What are these idots going to do next start going house to house. Draging people out and strip searching them and destroying their homes looking for legally owned weapons with to many bullets in them. I wouldn't put it past them. Like I've said before. Go get the criminals and bust up these gangs they've let run loose all these years. But no that's to simple. They had rather punish eveyone for the evil ways of a few.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-07-2018, 07:31 AM

i don't understand why, if you are trying to hit someone and don't think 10 rounds is enough then people should
worry what you do hit.
i am not joking about this.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-07-2018, 07:41 AM
You have that right ruralgirl. What are these idots going to do next start going house to house. Draging people out and strip searching them and destroying their homes looking for legally owned weapons with to many bullets in them. I wouldn't put it past them. Like I've said before. Go get the criminals and bust up these gangs they've let run loose all these years. But no that's to simple. They had rather punish eveyone for the evil ways of a few.

ok, let me put it this way: the speed limit on northern state pkwy. is 50mph but i am able to safely react at speeds of
65-70mph, why do i get a ticket at 63mph? i am being punished because dmv gives licenses out to those that are
incapable of driving at those speeds and speeds much less, this is the way all our laws work. Yes we should target
those who should never be allowed to drive, target those who should not be allowed to carry any type of weapon and
severely punish those who break the law that are considered a danger to the general public.