PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control -

Fearless
04-05-2018, 04:55 AM
Hi guys

Question without notice

My cruise control is playing games. When I try to activate it, it kills all power to the bike.

Real great when traveling at 100km (60 mph) - not.

Switch block has been cleaned and checked out OK.

Anyone else had this problem before?.

Bike is 2010 RT

Cheers

Frank

Bob Denman
04-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Please define, "kills all power". :dontknow:
Does it engage?
Is it shutting off the engine?
Is the throttle response not as crisp as before?
(That one is normal!)

Snowbelt Spyder
04-05-2018, 08:08 AM
And "activate" too, for that matter. Does the problem happen when you just turn it ON, or when you try to SET it. The Cruise status is indicated in the lower left corner of the center display. What does it indicate when the switch position is changed? Is the motor shutting down, ie turning off, electrical power lost, or is the cruise simply not engaged when you let go of the throttle? You can test it out while only going a little over 15 MPH ..or 25 km/h ...whatever you folks use down there.

Ex-Rocket
04-05-2018, 11:18 AM
You sure your not flipping the kill switch or maybe bumping the kill switch when trying to set the cruise control?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Bob Denman
04-05-2018, 01:11 PM
:shocked: That was sort of what I was thinking also... :dontknow:

ARtraveler
04-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Check to see if your brake lights remain on. Crud in the switch mechanism will prevent the brake switch from cancelling. That of course is one of the things that "cancel" the cruise automatically. :thumbup:

Ex-Rocket
04-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Check to see if you brake lights remain on. Crud in the switch mechanism will prevent the brake switch from cancelling. That of course is one of the things that "cancel" the cruise automatically. :thumbup:

But that shouldn't cause the bike to lose all power and shut off when he's trying to activate the cruse control.

Easy Rider
04-05-2018, 03:13 PM
But that shouldn't cause the bike to lose all power and shut off when he's trying to activate the cruse control.

BUT.....that is why he needs to better define what he means by "lose all power". :thumbup:

canamjhb
04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Bet he is hitting the engine kill switch. The kill switch is red. The cruise control switch is black. The graphic symbols look similar on both switches.

Fearless
04-05-2018, 03:20 PM
When I try to set it - it is like using the kill switch. Shuts the engine off completely.

And no, I did not hit the kill switch. The dealer here is stumped. Even he has not heard of this happening before.

Thanks

Frank
(On holiday/road trip from Queensland to Tasmania)

Bob Denman
04-05-2018, 04:25 PM
:dontknow: There's literally got to be a wired crossed somewhere inside the "loud grip"... :dontknow:
My guess: tell your dealer to swap a known "good" switch-set in, and see what happens.
Good luck! :thumbup:

Snowbelt Spyder
04-05-2018, 06:14 PM
So Frank, I take it that the kill switch does operate normally.

Except for the fact that the cruise function and the run/stop function from the kill switch both reside in the same switch assembly and share the same wiring harness, these two functions don't really share anything in common electrically until they reach the ECM. You could start taking stuff apart and check the wiring harness and plug for any critter damage, pin damage or anything otherwise needing repair. But I'm going to agree with Bob in that replacing the right hand switch assembly is probably the most effective course of action. Not cheap. 300 bucks US new. But, hopefully the dealer will work with you with an assembly to try first - just to be certain - or you could find a salvaged one.

Have a good holiday.