PDA

View Full Version : AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM?

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Everyday I have customers & 1 of my drivers that when i ask a question they say yes when they mean no and
no when they mean yes. I just don't understand how this happens, I speak english and I don't speak fast when I
ask questions. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

nhoj
04-03-2018, 09:28 AM
...when i ask a question they say yes when they mean no and no when they mean yes.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM?

No

DGoebel
04-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Yes er... no really

Chupaca
04-03-2018, 09:42 AM
It's all in the wording and accented words...:banghead: and then again it may just be who your dealing with....

UtahPete
04-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Everyday I have customers & 1 of my drivers that when i ask a question they say yes when they mean no and no when they mean yes. I just don't understand how this happens, I speak english and I don't speak fast when I ask questions. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
That's very common. It took me awhile after I left the military to understand that. The reasons are varied.

Some of it is cultural (considered impolite to speak directly), some of it is relational (employees will want to try to please their boss), some of it is individual (some folks will avoid conflict at any cost). It is rarely a deliberate attempt to deceive, which makes it even more difficult to deal with I think.

And then there are those that have learned not to be the bearer of bad tidings .... how do you react to a response you don't like?

Bob Denman
04-03-2018, 10:34 AM
:opps: Ummmmmm....

I think so; but maybe not... :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
04-03-2018, 10:49 AM
I am not sure ..... Maybe .... maybe not..... I don't know.

Anonymous

vided
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
I can give you a definite maybe :yikes::yikes:

wyliec
04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Are they illegals?:joke: Oh, I forgot; that may not be P.C.

wyliec
04-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Everyday I have customers & 1 of my drivers that when i ask a question they say yes when they mean no and
no when they mean yes. I just don't understand how this happens, I speak english and I don't speak fast when I

Give us an example. You probably use a lot of nots (or contractions).

Holly
04-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I could tell you why, but the thread might mysteriously disappear.......... :roflblack:

ARtraveler
04-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Try it with a room full of college students. It works great with directions on how to complete tests, and things to watch for in exams. About 1/3 do it wrong. :yikes: And yes, I articulate properly.

BajaRon
04-03-2018, 12:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrO70AXW68

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2018, 01:23 PM
That's very common. It took me awhile after I left the military to understand that. The reasons are varied.

Some of it is cultural (considered impolite to speak directly), some of it is relational (employees will want to try to please their boss), some of it is individual (some folks will avoid conflict at any cost). It is rarely a deliberate attempt to deceive, which makes it even more difficult to deal with I think.

And then there are those that have learned not to be the bearer of bad tidings .... how do you react to a response you don't like?

I don't think it is really deliberate i just think it is really really stupid.

DGoebel
04-03-2018, 01:27 PM
It definitely NOT deliberate :clap::clap::yes::yes: THAT would imply that they THOUGHT about the question before answering.....

MR. H1956
04-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Just don't ask the question. Tell them the answers that you want to hear and be done with it. Just saying.

MR. H1956
04-03-2018, 02:13 PM
I could tell you why, but the thread might mysteriously disappear.......... :roflblack:
Amazing how that happens.must be those dreaded thread gremlins again. Who knew they come off the highways durning the winter time.:dontknow: :gaah:

SteveLaoyster
04-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Archie and Edith Bunker on the definition of "Probably". Sorry couldn't find the video.

"Judging Books by Covers"

Archie: Did you bring these things (cashews) into the house?

Edith: Probably.

Archie: What do you mean "probably?"

Edith: I mean, probably I did.

Archie: But "probably you did" could also mean "probably you didn't." That's the way it is with a word like "probably"... right?(Pause)

Edith: Probably.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Are they illegals?:joke: Oh, I forgot; that may not be P.C.

no just stupid

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Kind of like when the college professor was discussing English grammar. He told the students that just like in math a negative combined with a positive is always negative, and two negatives results in a positive. But in no case do two positives together result in a negative. From the back of the class comes a response, "Yeah, right!" :roflblack:

sandeejs
04-03-2018, 04:34 PM
I have noticed in a club that I belong to, we give instructions.

"Fill out your ballots for the 1st group and place them in the ballot bag for the first group."
One third of the group brings up a ballot. Asks "Where should I put this?"
I ask "What is it?"
Answer: "1st group ballot"
Me: "Put it in the ballot bag for the 1st group."
The bag is labelled. The ballot is labelled. The membership is largely tilted toward advanced university degrees! I am one of the less educated, with only a masters degree.

Sometimes I think that reading, and listening are skills people thought would only be needed at school, not in real life.
Eh, what can you do?

~Sandee~