PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Security

AlfredENewman
04-02-2018, 09:02 AM
We are planning our first trip with a trailer. Those of you that travel with a trailer, how do you secure it when it is not attached to your Spyder? Thanks.

jaherbst
04-02-2018, 09:16 AM
We are planning our first trip with a trailer. Those of you that travel with a trailer, how do you secure it when it is not attached to your Spyder? Thanks.

Krytonite Cable through the wheel spokes and around something permanent at the parking area. You will need a cable of at least 3/8 diameter and 15' long. Also a coupler

lock for more reassurance.

Jack

Chupaca
04-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Mostly see them tethered to the parking lot lamp posts, several Locked together, wheel locks of many types/with hitch locks. :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-02-2018, 09:43 AM
haven't used it yet but i bought a boot for the wheel & a hitch lock cover to stop someone from attaching their
hitch to it, together they only cost a little over $100.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Or maybe ......the Ball coupler is held on with TWO bolts ....remove those and the coupler ....... 99.999% of trailer thieves don't carry them when they go on stealing missions ...... so if yours isn't there they will go and find someone else's trailer to steal ............ Mike :thumbup:

Hisst
04-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Or maybe ......the Ball coupler is held on with TWO bolts ....remove those and the coupler ....... 99.999% of trailer thieves don't carry them when they go on stealing missions ...... so if you isn't there they will go and find someone else's trailer to steal ............ Mike :thumbup:
Insure it an forget it hisst

Saluda
04-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Insure it an forget it hisst

With insurance companies today plus deductable, that's not as easy as you think.

oldguyinTX
04-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Krytonite Cable through the wheel spokes and around something permanent at the parking area. You will need a cable of at least 3/8 diameter and 15' long. Also a coupler

lock for more reassurance.

Jack

:agree: That's exactly what I do. Never had a problem. I also put a Kryptonite cable through the rear rim of the Spyder, and when possible, anchor it to a light pole, etc.

MR. H1956
04-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Yes krytonite cable works wonders. Light poles are good to tie off also. Just make sure you have a lock that closes up title on the cable ends so it can't be cut with bolt cutters. Then put a pin tung lock on the trailer.

pauly1
04-02-2018, 11:52 PM
+1 on the cable and lock on the hitch. With portable, battery powered grinders, there is nothing guaranteed. Some trailers have a conventional two bolt coupler; my Bushtec does not. But it does have a pin hitch/heim joint which aren't as common and therefore a deterent.

Wayne

MR. H1956
04-03-2018, 07:27 AM
+1 on the cable and lock on the hitch. With portable, battery powered grinders, there is nothing guaranteed. Some trailers have a conventional two bolt coupler; my Bushtec does not. But it does have a pin hitch/heim joint which aren't as common and therefore a deterent.

Wayne
A friend of ours had a bushtec with a pin hitch. Someone just loaded it up in back of a pickup and drove off. But it was setting outside his garage while he out back in his shed in the back yard. He had insurance on it thank God. So it didn't cost him much to replace it. More of a hassle than anything. Thiefs don't care. Their just want to steal something.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2018, 08:43 AM
i will be getting a battery operated jumping spider to put on my trailer so when someone comes near...:yikes:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2018, 08:58 AM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wCcAAOSwKQ9aBvA7/s-l64.jpg

bmwlarry
04-03-2018, 09:42 AM
I use a cable as above but try to keep it locked to my bike with a hitch lock. I suppose, though a real thief would simply remove the ball, Ha HA