PDA

View Full Version : Gold Plugs - are the torque specs the same as OEM?

Rookiespyder
03-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Hello,is the Tork specs the same with the Gold Plugs as it is with the OEM. Thanks.

Chupaca
03-27-2018, 09:08 PM
Gold plugs are hex head . No need for Torx or Allen wrenches...:thumbup:

Rookiespyder
03-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Gold plugs are hex head . No need for Torx or Allen wrenches...:thumbup:

I mean for tightening them 15 ft pounds or etc

Flamewinger
03-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Never thought the different drive type would affect the torque specs.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Never thought the different drive type would affect the torque specs. I'm 99.999% sure it doesn't ..... different bolt sizes may have different Torque specs, the head type rarely makes the difference...the GRADE of the metal does ... Of course the Torque specs for a slotted head is normally less than say a phillips style , and definitely different from an internal or external Hex ....... For Oil plugs I don't even torque them, if there is a leak I will tighten it a Hair more ..... make sure the contact area is absolutely clean, debris can get under that washer and ruin the seal ............... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-28-2018, 06:51 AM
The torque spec. remains the same.
You have to remember that you're still putting it into the same aluminum block as before. :thumbup:

Navydad
03-28-2018, 10:09 AM
:agree: Exactly.

AY4B
03-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Another thing to consider is the Gold plugs use different crush washers and you need to change them every time and order them from Gold plug.

Ex-Rocket
03-28-2018, 02:13 PM
Another thing to consider is the Gold plugs use different crush washers and you need to change them every time and order them from Gold plug.

Any auto parts store like Auto Zone will have the crush washers

jcthorne
03-28-2018, 02:58 PM

If you order your oil change kits from BajaRon, he includes the crush washers and new o-rings for the plugs and filters. So does BRP but who would order those?

That said, we still will not install the gold plug on the engine side because of the o-ring groove above the threads, the drilled hole for the magnet is too close and creates a weak spot in the plug. A bit too tight and its not the threads that give, the plug shears off leaving the threaded portion up inside the engine. Its a very expensive tear down to retrieve. Several have snapped off. We stick with the OEM plug for the engine side and if you use the right tool to remove, its not a problem.

cptjam
03-28-2018, 11:30 PM
So do the Dimple plugs do the same? Have you contacted Gold plug? We have put in plenty and not had a failure.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2018, 11:36 PM
So do the Dimple plugs do the same? Have you contacted Gold plug? We have put in plenty and not had a failure. There was a lot of chatter about the Dimple Brand plugs having the breakage issues ..... not the Gold version tho ....... Pics of the broken Dimple was posted, and you could see how thin thread area was from the larger hole needed for their magnet vs. the smaller Gold magnet...... I have a Gold plug ( the engine Torx one ) .....that magnet was very, very magnetic ..... I'm sure it will do the job ....... Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
03-29-2018, 07:20 AM
So do the Dimple plugs do the same? Have you contacted Gold plug? We have put in plenty and not had a failure.

They both have the same design defect. There were many of the Dimple plugs that failed. They both need to get rid of the magnet in the engine side plug.

Both Gold and Dimple maintain that any failures are the fault of the owner over tightening. IE head in the sand routine. Will not install or reinstall them, just far too much liability. When one comes in the shop, will attempt to remove after advising owner of problem with plug and replace with new OEM plug.

Sarge707
03-29-2018, 08:41 PM
With my 2015 F3 I use the Plugs that came with the bike and Just Tighten them as per the manual. No need to jump threw hoops and spend extra $$$ on Other plugs.nojoke

sKiZo
03-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Are the stock plugs magnetic? You might be surprised how much metal one can pick up on some machines, especially during break in.

Wmoater
03-03-2021, 09:10 PM
Yes stock Oem are magnetic. The head is the main difference. Gold and dimple are a bit harder I believe.

tibadoe
03-04-2021, 07:31 AM
So how do the Show Chrome engine & transmission drain plugs from Lamonster Garage compare to Gold Plugs? Do they "break" like I'm hearing the Gold Plugs do? Or is the magnetic thinner making the thread wall thicker?

jcthorne
03-05-2021, 08:58 AM
The OEM transmission plug has a magnet. The engine plug does not, solid steel.

Sbdraz
03-14-2021, 06:59 PM
So how do the Show Chrome engine & transmission drain plugs from Lamonster Garage compare to Gold Plugs? Do they "break" like I'm hearing the Gold Plugs do? Or is the magnetic thinner making the thread wall thicker?

Following on to Joe’s question......are the washers that come with the Show Chrome plugs from Lamonster special or when a new oil change kit comes with new washers are they OK to use with the Show Chrome plugs?

pegasus1300
03-14-2021, 08:49 PM
I use the ShowChrome plugs for 5 years now and no problem. I also don't feel like I have to tighten them to the nth degree. 15lbs is not that much. I have always used the standard BajaRon washers with no oil leaks. BTW I know this is a losing battle here but the original washers are not crush washers but simple copper washers,as are the replacement washers Ron sends.

BertRemington
03-14-2021, 09:36 PM
Per this post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?138534-D-I-Y-oil-change-o-ring-kit&p=1563200&viewfull=1#post1563200 I installed the GoldPlugs at stock torque settings using a 1/4" digital torque wrench but will use 15Nm next change.

jcthorne
03-15-2021, 04:47 PM
I use the ShowChrome plugs for 5 years now and no problem. I also don't feel like I have to tighten them to the nth degree. 15lbs is not that much. I have always used the standard BajaRon washers with no oil leaks. BTW I know this is a losing battle here but the original washers are not crush washers but simple copper washers,as are the replacement washers Ron sends.

The plugs for the 998 don't have the design defect as they do not have the 2 o-rings mid plug. The show chrome plugs for the 998 are fine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-15-2021, 06:32 PM

:agree: .... IMHO threaded parts that NEED high torque - you should use a proper torque wrench .... for LOW torque I use a socket and ratchet and after it's hand tight I give the handle a decent TAP and leave it ..... If this is an OIL plug I will put a piece of clean paper under that area and see if it leaks ( usually not ). if it does I will tap it a little harder ...... this method has worked successfully for over 60 years and I have never stripped any threads .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Jane1330
07-21-2022, 12:05 PM
Apparently Gold Plug has folded, the phone is disconnected and e-mails etc... go unanswered. Placed an order and funds were paid...crickets