PDA

View Full Version : Ruminating about age and wisdom

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-27-2018, 06:42 PM
As you all know Facebook is in the hot seat for letting billions of bits of personal data escape its confines. Do you know why that was allowed to happen, IMO? Maturity and wisdom. Zuckerberg is only 33 years old, 34 in May, so that means he was in his 20's when the Facebook data control systems were put in place. A 20 something year old still has a lot to learn about life, one of them being what you do with what you know about others.

My older brother, a retired veterinarian, recounted one time about being in a meeting with other business men. He made some sort of comment about business and life and one of the other guys looked at him and said, "You're not 35 yet, are you?" Yep, the big Z would have been smart to have had an experienced CEO run FB for him while he still had some growing up to do!

wyliec
03-27-2018, 07:34 PM
As you all know Facebook is in the hot seat for letting billions of bits of personal data escape its confines. Do you know why that was allowed to happen, IMO? Maturity and wisdom. Zuckerberg is only 33 years old, 34 in May, so that means he was in his 20's when the Facebook data control systems were put in place. A 20 something year old still has a lot to learn about life, one of them being what you do with what you know about others.

My older brother, a retired veterinarian, recounted one time about being in a meeting with other business men. He made some sort of comment about business and life and one of the other guys looked at him and said, "You're not 35 yet, are you?" Yep, the big Z would have been smart to have had an experienced CEO run FB for him while he still had some growing up to do!

The story I heard this morning was that those members on facebook allowed other apps to gather the info. Those members can go to those apps, and turn off any information gathering. This is how it was done:

"Facebook offers a number of technology tools for software developers, and one of the most popular is Facebook Login, which lets people simply log in to a website or app using their Facebook account instead of creating new credentials. People use it because it’s easy — usually one or two taps — and eliminates the need for people to remember a bunch of unique username and password combinations."

"Back in 2015, though, Facebook also allowed developers to collect some information on the friend networks of people who used Facebook Login. That means that while a single user may have agreed to hand over their data, developers could also access some data about their friends. This was not a secret — Facebook says it was documented in their terms of service — but it has since been updated (https://techcrunch.com/2015/04/28/facebook-api-shut-down/) so that this is no longer possible, at least not at the same level of detail."

This is just an excerpt, and I'm sure you read the whole article. So, I'd say it was a 50/50 split as to who was at fault. You make it sound like all CEO's are familiar with apps. and how they work, and this wouldn't have happened with someone older; do you have an age cut-off as to when someone becomes more knowledgeable based on age alone. Experience does not always come with age. You need to fail to learn.

Saluda
03-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Hate Facebook.

With age comes wisdom. (Not my saying)

wyliec
03-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Hate Facebook.

"Success comes from experience. Experience comes from failures. Failures come from trying"
This isn't my saying either.

LeftCoast
03-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Hate Facebook.

Completly agree with you. 30 something’s and younger, and I have 2 of them, just have no idea of the ramifications of making your entire life public. I have warned my kids and so far they’ve taken heed for the most part.

I couldn’t care less what someone had for dinner or what their cat did. I check my account once a year to say thank you to those who wished me a happy birthday and that’s it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2018, 11:45 PM
OR, .............. He knew EXACTLY what He was doing ....... selling your personal info throughout the WORLD has made Him a Billionaire :yikes:................ just another .02 ........... Mike :bbq:

Bob Denman
03-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Good judgement comes from experience...
Which often comes from Bad Judgement... :dontknow:

MR. H1956
03-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Long live those that have been there and done that. And have the scares to prove it. Live long and prosper my friends. Enjoy the journey for life is short. Happy Trails

oldgoat
03-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Completly agree with you. 30 something’s and younger, and I have 2 of them, just have no idea of the ramifications of making your entire life public. I have warned my kids and so far they’ve taken heed for the most part.

I couldn’t care less what someone had for dinner or what their cat did. I check my account once a year to say thank you to those who wished me a happy birthday and that’s it.

Glad to see someone get it right & not use "I could care less" :clap:

LeftCoast
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM

LOL, that may be the extent of things I do right today so I’ll take it!

MR. H1956
03-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Amen to that my friend. My wife has a face book page. I never really wanted one. But shes happy with it so all is well. I'd rather be out in the garage tinkering with something and listening to some 70' tunes or watching the history channel on the old tv. At least till I fall asleep on the couch.

billybovine
03-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Interesting video for Facebook users about data security. https://youtu.be/nqkVjhCr79o

wyliec
03-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Interesting video for Facebook users about data security. https://youtu.be/nqkVjhCr79o

That information is excellent, and that's why I said in my post above that not all blame (maybe not any) is on the creator of Facebook.

Spyderlovers is also social media, and there are members that have given information about themselves in My Profile, and Spyders to the Rescue, and maybe other places on here.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
i would only put my business on facebook or the internet, not my personal life. i don't have a facebook acct.

ARtraveler
03-28-2018, 02:24 PM
Still not a facebook user. :yes::yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-28-2018, 02:39 PM
That information is excellent, and that's why I said in my post above that not all blame (maybe not any) is on the creator of Facebook.

Spyderlovers is also social media, and there are members that have given information about themselves in My Profile, and Spyders to the Rescue, and maybe other places on here.
I agree we probably shouldn't lay a lot of blame on the creator of Facebook. But the CEO who runs the Facebook corporation is responsible for what it has become, and what it has been for a few years. Just because they are the same person is immaterial. You can't tell me the CEO has been oblivious to how they make money, and what it is has taken to get there. Policies come from the top. It's those policies that spawn the actions to comply with them. The CEO may not be aware of all the ins and outs and details of the ground level operations, but he sure as h*** knows what his policies are that drive those ground level actions.

Yes, the users share responsibility for what they share about themselves, but the company has responsibility to make a clear effort that users do in fact know how widespread that information will shared. Ethical concerns come into play when the company deliberately exploits the laziness and carelessness of users. The key word is exploit.

billybovine
03-28-2018, 04:03 PM
When a service is free. You are the product. That can be OK or maybe not depending on the person's expectations. I know that when I signed up with facebook. I knew that the service was free and would be expected to be fed advertising. Using my data to tailor the advertising to what I may be interested in, rather than throw everything at me and see what sticks. That is OK with me too. But allowing my data to leave their control to a third party is a problem.

johnsimion
03-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Anyone who thinks wisdom comes with age apparently doesn't pay any attention to politics or the 2016 election. Everyone in elected office in Washington, DC, is OLD, but if there is a single one who displays any kind of "wisdom" at all, please let me know who it is. And this post is completely NONPARTISAN.

wyliec
03-28-2018, 06:22 PM
When a service is free. You are the product. That can be OK or maybe not depending on the person's expectations. I know that when I signed up with facebook. I knew that the service was free and would be expected to be fed advertising. Using my data to tailor the advertising to what I may be interested in, rather than throw everything at me and see what sticks. That is OK with me too. But allowing my data to leave their control to a third party is a problem.

The apps that members sign up for are separate entities from facebook. It's the members responsibility to tailor the app to their needs, including what info they (the member) want to share. IMHO, it's not facebook allowing a third party to view your data, it's you the member.

wyliec
03-28-2018, 06:26 PM
I agree we probably shouldn't lay a lot of blame on the creator of Facebook. But the CEO who runs the Facebook corporation is responsible for what it has become, and what it has been for a few years. Just because they are the same person is immaterial. You can't tell me the CEO has been oblivious to how they make money, and what it is has taken to get there. Policies come from the top. It's those policies that spawn the actions to comply with them. The CEO may not be aware of all the ins and outs and details of the ground level operations, but he sure as h*** knows what his policies are that drive those ground level actions.

Yes, the users share responsibility for what they share about themselves, but the company has responsibility to make a clear effort that users do in fact know how widespread that information will shared. Ethical concerns come into play when the company deliberately exploits the laziness and carelessness of users. The key word is exploit.

I'm guessing facebook makes money from advertising, which includes the third party apps. Like I said in my previous post, you the member are controlling your info that you share. Maybe you can provide a link to the article that you read that states that the apps involved are the actual property of facebook. As far as I know, the apps are third party apps.

d.o.spyder-rts
03-28-2018, 10:59 PM

Neither am I, just another reason why I don't have any social media accounts. Dale

RinconRyder
03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Facebook is just a tool. Like the telephone you can blab all sorts of personal information all around town so that everyone else knows your business......or not.

I have found FB to be a useful way to find and communicate with people I ordinarily would have problems finding.....like my old military buddies and others who served aboard my ship. Childhood friends. Even extended family members. And just interesting other people - some of whom own Spyders and others who don't.

The only thing FB knows about me is my name, home town, former military station and disdain of our present president. You could find out just as much by going to WhitePages.com or any one of a hundred other sites.

And FB doesn't cost me a dime to use it. Try getting that much functionality from any other social site. Do I really care that every once in a while I get a flyer from the NRA nazis due to a post on FB? Not really. It just goes in the trash along with all the other junk. And it also proves that people who use FB data either don't know how to use it or it is inaccurate.

If you've made a lifetime career of robbing banks you probably don't want to join the "Former Folsom Prison Inmates" group. Otherwise, you are just paranoid.

Rogue Hawk
03-29-2018, 03:32 PM
"Success comes from experience. Experience comes from failures. Failures come from trying"

This isn't my saying either.

Don't confuse people with logic

...not sure who said that first:yes:

Facebook is just a tool.

Much like it's creator.

RapidSpyder
03-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Me neither, have the wife for that...