PDA

View Full Version : An Adventure Bike Conversion

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 11:37 AM

I came across this little beauty on a Motorhome forum. This guy has lifted his Toyhauler, and takes his toys to all sorts of neat places! :thumbup:

Mad Mac
03-27-2018, 01:19 PM
I just found a way to get back into the off-road world! Got to be narrower than a side-by-side, so it should be legal for the trail systems? Thanks Bob! Mac:riding:

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 01:28 PM
:D I'm thinking that an older GS SM-5 bike would be ideal... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Have to agree with the above. With those big tires, you have the height issues solved. :yes::yes:

Chupaca
03-27-2018, 02:39 PM
I would convert to chain drive if not already done :clap:do wonder how they dealt with the nanny.....:dontknow:

ofdave
03-27-2018, 02:53 PM
great idea!
still will be problems on rutted roads but flat gravel and such would be a bunch of fun for sure

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 02:57 PM
I would convert to chain drive if not already done :clap:do wonder how they dealt with the nanny.....:dontknow:
As long as the tire diameters are consistent: they should be okay for the basic stuff... :dontknow:

Mad Mac
03-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Chain drive would be a great idea. But would you use Off-road motorcycle "knobbies" or would you use Off-road SUV "all-terrain/mud lug" type tires like that individual did? And could we keep it stabile enough to handle the types of terrain/roads we would be operating it on? Or could we have a discussion on the topic?? Mac:roflblack::roflblack:

Rob Rodriguez
03-27-2018, 04:30 PM
This is almost to extreme for a Spyder as its venturing into ATV territory and I'm sure a "real" 4WD ATV would perform much better off road than a single rear wheel drive Spyder.

That said, I could definitely see an "adventure bike" or "Dual Sport" bike version of the Spyder. Built by BRP to complete with bikes like
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/f800gsadventure.html
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/adventure-touring/models/super-tenere-es
https://www.ktm.com/travel/1090-adventure-r/

Beefier suspension, better shocks/spring, properly calibrated electronics, proper tires, some protection plates. I don't think its a far fetched idea at all.

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Chain drive would be a great idea. But would you use Off-road motorcycle "knobbies" or would you use Off-road SUV "all-terrain/mud lug" type tires like that individual did? And could we keep it stabile enough to handle the types of terrain/roads we would be operating it on? Or could we have a discussion on the topic?? Mac:roflblack::roflblack:

I think that this one is from Austria...

PistonBlown
03-27-2018, 05:24 PM
I want one...

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 06:01 PM
:D Do you think that BRP has their eye on this thread? :dontknow:

(Hint Hint: the birth of a new niche market! :clap:)

Mad Mac
03-27-2018, 06:30 PM
:D Do you think that BRP has their eye on this thread? :dontknow:

(Hint Hint: the birth of a new niche market! :clap:)

I just figured if I can't recoup my investment money, I could re-purpose our :spyder2: to handle a beach down in Mexico somewhere! At least I could turn the frunk into a cooler for the beer, and the side bags could be used for the fish taco's!! Mac:roflblack: