PDA

View Full Version : Lightning, rain etc.

effgjamis
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
On the 25th I got hit with a bit of mother natures spark.
Killed my internet, dead-dead, spent 3-4 hours troubleshooting and finally replaced my Router, and Switch and I am now up and running again....

NancysToy
05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
On the 25th I got hit with a bit of mother natures spark.
Killed my internet, dead-dead, spent 3-4 hours troubleshooting and finally replaced my Router, and Switch and I am now up and running again....
I'm glad you're back amongst us! I know that drill...power outage killed my router and range extender a few weeks back. That was through the protector, too. I got the router to live again after a few hours, but the extender was dead meat. Just got the warranty replacement via the Brown Truck.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

effgjamis
05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Mine, router and switch is way out of waranty.. Had long time,,grrr... Not sure I can use a cat 5 protector.. most do not clamp fast enough.

NancysToy
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure anything would clamp fast enough, there in the lightening capital of the world. :D A close hit can fry even the most carefully protected devices. Worst part of this whole ordeal is that even if the equipment survives, it can take hours to troubleshoot and reconfigure everything. Be sure and register that new equipment, it just saved me the cost of a new range expander. I didn't even know it was still under warranty until I pulled it up on the Internet (via a straight cable connection...fortunately my cable modem survived all this).
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

babyanlee
05-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Welcome Back :2thumbs: :yes::yes::yes: :spyder:

effgjamis
05-27-2009, 03:05 AM
thank you babyanlee...

Scotty. you are most correct. However, it is strange that the cable modem survivied, as all the cat 5 cable is inter-connected, while the power is protected via UPS.
I guess the surge travels to the least resistance.

2spyders
05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
We had lightning strike a light pole in our backyard a couple of years ago - it fried the light on the pole, underground sprinkler wiring and controller, motherboard on the tivo, a light switch in the hall, and one outlet in the bathroom. :dontknow: