PDA

View Full Version : A different trunk

The Breeze
05-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I knew there were some alternatives to the Stock/Givi/Corbin trunks. Thought something a little more angular would interesting look and my wife wanted a better back rest.

If you're willing to invest a little time, the Kewl Metal Laggage rack makes mounting any trunk easy. (Thanks, Matt)

FANG
05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I knew there were some alternatives to the Stock/Givi/Corbin trunks. Thought something a little more angular would interesting look and my wife wanted a better back rest.

If you're willing to invest a little time, the Kewl Metal Laggage rack makes mounting any trunk easy. (Thanks, Matt)

Hey Breeze what brand of top bax is that? I really like that look. do you have a link to the site where it can be purchased? :2thumbs:

The Breeze
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey Breeze what brand of top bax is that? I really like that look. do you have a link to the site where it can be purchased? :2thumbs:

Sure 'nuff
http://www.mutazu.com

I didn't care for the tubular racking for the other trunks I had been seeing.
And the KM luggage not looks better stand alone, it's more adaptable.
Did I mention how strong the darn thing is -

FANG
05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link

SpyderGirl
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Very cool. I like the trunk. How did you mount it?

8LEGS
05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I LIKE! :2thumbs:

The Breeze
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Very cool. I like the trunk. How did you mount it?

The 'short' of it was - after mounting the KM luggage rack, I purchased a small sheet of 16 gauge steel from Lowes. I mounted the plate to the top of the KM rack and then mounted the trunk to and through the plate.
There are 8 bolts holding the trunk. (4) through the plate and to the rack and (4) just to the plate.
I can completely remove the trunk - leaving the rack in place in less than 20 minutes (I installed a plug in for the LED brake light).
And because of KM's design, I can remove their rack (leaving their central mounting piece (Did I mention how strong the darn thing is?) in place and re-installing the stock tail cone) in about the same length of time.

fastfraser
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Sure 'nuff
http://www.mutazu.com

I didn't care for the tubular racking for the other trunks I had been seeing.
And the KM luggage not looks better stand alone, it's more adaptable.
Did I mention how strong the darn thing is -

:2thumbs: Oh man is that sharp looking. I want !!!

What exactly did you order [ie part #s] Did you order a box add the spoiler and back rest and how is it mounted [ ie kewlmetal rack] and did you have trouble wiring it to the spyder. Oh and will it hold a full face helmet .

Thanks in advance for your reply. Fastfraser

Roger
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Looks good and not a bad price either.:2thumbs:

DynamoBT
05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, how did you mount it? I see the Kewlmetal racks on their website. They do look multifunctional. Did you get the oversized plate for it?

Did you bolt the case to the rack?

I like the look too. It solves many problems all at once. I like it!!!

ooops, I see as I was writing, you posted the 'How to"
Thanks

The Breeze
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, how did you mount it? I see the Kewlmetal racks on their website. They do look multifunctional. Did you get the oversized plate for it?

I like the look too. It solves many problems all at once. I like it!!!

ooops, I see as I was writing, you posted the 'How to"
Thanks

KM KD-237 - $300
Mutazu DMY Vivid Black Trunk - $110
Mutazu Wrap around backrest - $70
Mutazu LED Brake light - $35
12" X 18" 16 gauge plate - $17

I'll remove the trunk tonight and take a few more pictures of the plate.

The brake comes with 2 options for wiring - a standard 'on' when 12vdc is applied and a 'center to outside' flash when 12vdc is applied. I opted for the standard on and wired it to the NMN Triple Play (it flashes 3 times with everything else.)

The Breeze
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I'm attaching several pictures from the 'during' process.

SpyderByter
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Looks good!! Thanks 4 the info. I ordered one tonight and hopefully can find a way to mount it to the BRP sport rack.

COOLMACHINE
05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Breeze Baby!!!! Lqqks pretty darn cool. And I almost hate to ask this of you but how about a few pics at different angles. Kind of like a walk-around? Really nice job IMHO. :thumbup: Jerry

The Breeze
05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Looks good!! Thanks 4 the info. I ordered one tonight and hopefully can find a way to mount it to the BRP sport rack.

With enough trips to Home Depot - anything is possible!!
;)

The Breeze
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Breeze Baby!!!! Lqqks pretty darn cool. And I almost hate to ask this of you but how about a few pics at different angles. Kind of like a walk-around? Really nice job IMHO. :thumbup: Jerry

Okey Dokey

BTW
After a couple of rides, my wife decided that she did not care for her new 'reclined' posture. So, I removed the lower cushion and moved the trunk/back rest forward.

Roaddog2
05-28-2009, 05:56 AM
With enough trips to Home Depot - anything is possible!!
;):agree:Looks great :spyder:

COOLMACHINE
05-28-2009, 10:41 AM
THANKS FOR THE PICS BREEZE. JERRY

SSPSpyder
05-28-2009, 12:20 PM
FYI:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Cool-Gear__W0QQ_armrsZ1