PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sold their Spyder and regretted it

harrypottar
03-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Hi,

I know it’s an odd question to ask, because if you sold your Spyder you may not be visiting here anymore. However, you may have sold regretted and purchased another.

I’m in two minds about it, I own my Spyder, so no payments, looking for something different, wife misses two wheels, says she get board on the back of the Spyder.

Think about Indian Chieftain Limited with the Big Bore stage 3 upgrade.

i know ultimately I have to make the call, just looking for opinions.

harry

bmwlarry
03-26-2018, 08:54 AM
You may not get a response here for that! If an individual has sold their spyder, they were either ready to move on or had health issue requiring it. They probably would not be frequenting this forum.

Pirate looks at --
03-26-2018, 09:09 AM
I would suggest that you just buy another Spyder for your wife, she will no longer be board on the back of yours!:thumbup:

Chupaca
03-26-2018, 09:55 AM
There are those that have sold and come back others just added a two wheeler to the stable (if possible) some kept both and finally sold the two wheeler from lack of use. We have many non owners here some of those are previous owners. I would imagine those that had to sell regret it the most. Depends on how well one adjusted to the spyder and loves it. Tough choice... good luck and either way stick around..:thumbup:

fjray
03-26-2018, 09:57 AM
The main thing I miss is the sissy shift transmission. My wife never got comfortable even with the RDL and arm rests. We both prefer the ride and handling on the Wing. The spider is a good machine but not the nirvana some here profess. YMMV.

sealfloorboards
03-26-2018, 11:24 AM
In my humble opinion, the only reason to see a Spyder is to get a beer or diff. model. I can't imagine life w/o my Spyder ...or at least don't want to.

RinconRyder
03-26-2018, 11:55 AM
The main thing I miss is the sissy shift transmission. My wife never got comfortable even with the RDL and arm rests. We both prefer the ride and handling on the Wing. The spider is a good machine but not the nirvana some here profess. YMMV.

I would personally like to go back to a two-wheeler but bought the Spyder for the wifey so she could do something besides just sit and watch the back of my helmet. She has become very lukewarm about riding it though so it is up for sale. If I went back to two wheels it would be a sport tourer. I have had two Wings and they are very nice for making miles but I still like to whip it a little bit.

2dogs
03-26-2018, 12:07 PM
When Honda and Yamaha come out with their reverse tikes, I believe you're going to see a mass migration and few if any BRP owners will have regrets. BRP is not spyder customer friendly and their dealer network is sorely lacking. Once that sort of reputation gets started it's near impossible to stop. Those two issues I believe will be the spyder's undoing. BRP's main focus is on their 4X4 side by sides. I've had more than just a couple of BRP dealers in the west tell me the same thing.

Blue Star
03-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I know it’s an odd question to ask, because if you sold your Spyder you may not be visiting here anymore. However, you may have sold regretted and purchased another.

I’m in two minds about it, I own my Spyder, so no payments, looking for something different, wife misses two wheels, says she get board on the back of the Spyder.

harry

I started with a RS, and then got a RT. I sold the RT because I needed the extra cash to put my daughter thru school. Hardest three years until I got my F3T. Only experience on a two wheeler was six months until wife made me sell it after the accident, but she will ryde with me on the Spyder.

DGoebel
03-26-2018, 12:12 PM
There are those that have sold and come back others just added a two wheeler to the stable (if possible) some kept both and finally sold the two wheeler from lack of use. We have many non owners here some of those are previous owners. I would imagine those that had to sell regret it the most. Depends on how well one adjusted to the spyder and loves it. Tough choice... good luck and either way stick around..:thumbup:

I've been a member of many forums since the dial-up days, and one of the surprises has been the number of non-Spyder owners or riders who are regular contributors to this forum. They may have moved on or back to 2 wheels, or had health reasons for no longer having a Spyder, but many are checking in and sharing from their experience with Spyders. It all adds to the body of knowledge, and possibly partially answers this threads original question in a way. If they didn't have a twinge of regret they wouldn't still be here would they?

Bob Denman
03-26-2018, 12:17 PM
I've traded two of my Spyders in...

As much as I've loved the newer bikes: I've ALWAYS missed the old ones also! :shocked:

crazycanuck
03-26-2018, 12:38 PM
I sold my 09 RS a few weeks ago, I am ok with it :yes:

blacklightning
03-26-2018, 01:18 PM
I tend to go back and forward a lot. My introduction to the spyder world was on a RT. Then I missed 2 wheels and decided to add another bike, this one.159231
After about 6 months, I decided I wanted another, sportier spyder, so I sold the M109 and picked up a 2012 RSS159232
Having a spyder for touring, and a lighter, quicker spyder for the long haul was nice, but I decided to switch things up and get one spyder that would fit both bills, therefore, I bought a 2016 F3T159233
After another 6 months, and attending the M109 meet last June, I got the itch for another M109. So I picked up this 2013 in November159234
Now I have the spyder that I want, and the 2 wheeler that I wanted. But who knows what tomorrow will hold;). I still have a thing for the RSS, and I rode with a lady 2 weeks ago with a turbo on one. I was impressed to say the least.
In other words, stay tuned:shocked:.

ARtraveler
03-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Have had at least one Spyder in the stable since 2008. No "no spyder" situation yet.

I started with a two wheeler and added a :ani29:. Traded the two wheeler to purchase a new 2009 SE for the spouse. When we parted company, she took the 2009 and I purchased another two wheeler.

Hip issues came up and I traded the two wheeler to get a new 2011 Spyder for Linda.

I re-added a two wheeler last summer. Now I have two Spyders and a two wheeler.

I have mostly had two in the stable since 2008. Linda will not ride anything but the Spyder. We plan on having all three shipped to AR eventually.

The information about "other" trikes by either Yamaha or Honda is pretty much spot on--IMO. I for one am hanging tight on my 2014 and 2011. No incentive to "move up" at the moment. I would definitely go have a look at any new offerings.

That plus $30K price tag is a deterrent IMO for future Spyders.

Rogue Hawk
03-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Well, yes and no. I had an F3. It was a lemon that cost 10K to fix. So I dumped it.

quasi
03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
159235Haven't sold the Spyder, but I sure do miss the Harley Road King Classic in(Pacific Blue Pearl) I had.

DGoebel
03-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Well, yes and no. I had an F3. It was a lemon that cost 10K to fix. So I dumped it.
RH, Have you replaced that lemon F3? Are you still on SL because you plan too?

AY4B
03-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Probably a better question is anyone here missing their 2 wheeler? I loved my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and only traded it in because My wife hurt her shoulder and I thought the Spyder riding 2 up was the answer. Well Riding 2 up did not work out and I had my questions at first but now do not miss the Bike at all. My wife still rides a Harley and just got a Road King we can both ride. I take it out every now and then but still prefer the F3.

bhfromme
03-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Never owned a street bike. My brothers have had Harleys for forty plus years but I honestly never trusted myself on two wheels after some bad spills on trail bikes as a kid.

Enter Can-am Spyder. Bought an 11 RT and it totally changed my life. Ran into some financial trouble and sold it in 2014. Less than eighteen miserable months later I found a low mileage 08 GS in mint condition and just had to have it. And no offense to all you RT guys but I find the GS even more of a blast than the RT. 300 lbs lighter. Quicker. Better cornering. Can't imagine life without it.

So yes. I've sold a Spyder and become Spyderless. But hopefully never again. Love my GS. Absolutely love it.

stevencovert
03-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Never owned a street bike. My brothers have had Harleys for forty plus years but I honestly never trusted myself on two wheels after some bad spills on trail bikes as a kid.

Enter Can-am Spyder. Bought an 11 RT and it totally changed my life. Ran into some financial trouble and sold it in 2014. Less than eighteen miserable months later I found a low mileage 08 GS in mint condition and just had to have it. And no offense to all you RT guys but I find the GS even more of a blast than the RT. 300 lbs lighter. Quicker. Better cornering. Can't imagine life without it.

So yes. I've sold a Spyder and become Spyderless. But hopefully never again. Love my GS. Absolutely love it.

Started with a 2013 ST-S, really liked the zippiness. Traded it in for a 2016 RT-S (nice comfy Cadillac feel). Wife got her license, so picked up a 2008 GS that needed cosmetic work. Put on a used HMF exhaust from EBay (she likes her VROOM!), Seal Floorboards (she hates pegs), and she is a happy camper. I find myself driving her bike more often than the RTS just like you said - The GS/RSS are a blast! Too easy to do burnouts, really hugs the road, and the VTwin sounds awesome with the HMF muffler!

We started with the big tour bikes like most everyone else, then a couple back surgeries later I didn't feel safe when stopped. Three wheels fixed that quick. EVeryone appreciates the big tour bikes, but I met a lot of people asking about the Spyder. It definitely is conversation starter!

oldguyinTX
03-26-2018, 08:04 PM
In the process of trying to sell mine and I regret it already.

JP58
03-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Probably a better question is anyone here missing their 2 wheeler? I loved my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and only traded it in because My wife hurt her shoulder and I thought the Spyder riding 2 up was the answer. Well Riding 2 up did not work out and I had my questions at first but now do not miss the Bike at all. My wife still rides a Harley and just got a Road King we can both ride. I take it out every now and then but still prefer the F3.

Yes. I miss my Indian Chieftain a lot. But I injured a rotator cuff and knees not so good so had to go 3 wheels. If someone comes out with a factory leaning reverse trike thats comfortable for two up i will be buying it. I do like my RTS though.

WilderThomas
03-27-2018, 12:59 AM
l

n

As much as I've loved the newer bikes: I've ALWAYS missed the old ones also! :shocked:

WilderThomas
03-27-2018, 01:06 AM
n

I've enclosed a jpeg here of an older bike. I've had two of these, and as unsophisticated as they were, I'd surely take another one. They vibrated parts off, leaked oil, and easily overran the light from the headlight at night. Unlike the bikes today which can come with HID, LCD, or LED bulbs and lights.

youngers
03-27-2018, 03:32 AM
:yikes: bought the 2012 after the cousin took her out on rides while on my 2 wheels would follow , 159252 got the super itch for a bigger 2 wheeler , for getting out of the way of traffic , and keeping up with the same traffic ... 159251 now I did go through 4 months of " oh hell , what did I do :opps: " but getting more comfortable now , sold the little cycle , now all we need is sunshine too help that itch ! :D

ThreeWheels
03-27-2018, 04:41 AM
I agree with what others have said.
Imagine a factory reverse trike from Honda.
Their reliability and dealer network..........I'm there.

burg650
03-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Yes I regret it everyday, but for me I did as I was moving to South Asia and it would have cost me double what the price was new to get it where I am now. To buy a F3 or a RT here it would cost about $70,000 & $95,000.

donner1954
03-27-2018, 08:38 AM
I sold my RT 2 years ago, but had to because my right hip was killing me. I only had it 2 months. Last spring I bought a Honda 750 Shadow, hated it. In September, after taking a 2017 F3-T for a ride with no hip pain, I bought it. Now I am happy.

ARtraveler
03-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Since I started riding bikes in the 60's I have always loved the two wheelers. Have had around fifty assorted over the years. From 80cc one lunger to 2000cc Vulcan twin.

Had to try the :ani29: when I saw it in the MC mag in Oct 2007. I think it was Cycle magazine--but not sure.

Have had :spyder2:'s continually since 2008. Have bought five of them over the years. Still have two in the stable (2011 and 2014--both RT's).

As mentioned earlier, I have been in and out with two wheelers since 2008. When I was out, I missed them. Broke down in 2017 and re-purchased another Vulcan 900LT.

Now, I am a happy camper. Have the best of both worlds. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
03-27-2018, 01:42 PM
I sold my RT 2 years ago, but had to because my right hip was killing me. I only had it 2 months. Last spring I bought a Honda 750 Shadow, hated it. In September, after taking a 2017 F3-T for a ride with no hip pain, I bought it. Now I am happy.
:clap::congrats: :2thumbs:

MR. H1956
03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Rode 2 wheels for 45 yrs. Everything from mopeds to 1800 goldwing. Even raced super bikes. Had to get on 3 wheels from to many years of burning the candles at both ends. I never really cared for goldwing trikes. Don't like the way they handle or ride. Wanted a spyder ever since they come out and finally got one in 2011 and just love it wouldn't have nothing else. If I did have to sell the spyder I'd just stop riding all together

Rogue Hawk
03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
RH, Have you replaced that lemon F3? Are you still on SL because you plan too?

I bought a Ninja 650. Put 20K trouble free miles on it. I just replaced it with a new Ninja 1000.

Bob Denman
03-29-2018, 10:33 AM
:nopic: of the Ninja 1K? :thumbup:

Big F
03-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Hi,

harry

look at your birth certificate?? that makes the decision easy.
BIG F

Rogue Hawk
03-29-2018, 03:27 PM
:nopic: of the Ninja 1K? :thumbup:

Yes, I will make a thread for it. It's still at the dealership getting accessories installed.

limited14
03-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Thinking about selling my 14 limited. To many discracted drivers out there. I had the more close calls last year than in the 40+ years ive been riding. I may miss riding, but bought a camper to travel in. The wife will ride in it!

Bob Denman
03-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Yes, I will make a thread for it. It's still at the dealership getting accessories installed.
:D Kewl... :yes: