PDA

View Full Version : BRP Connect issues

GRUNT
03-18-2018, 06:19 PM
I traded my 2017 F3-S for a 2018 FS Limited 3 weeks ago and for the most part have been enjoying it but I’m having issues with BRP Connect. Almost half the time when I start it up the radio won’t work nor will my blue tooth connect where I can play Pandora. The message that pops up says something about an audio delay and to basically give it a few minutes but that never works, I usually just shut my Spyder off and try again with that working about half of the time. I also went through the process of buying what’s required to run Genius Maps but when trying to use it along with having the radio on it freezes up. Does me no good to contact dealer because 3 weeks ago when I purchased nobody there new nothing about the new dash/BRP Connect. They had a bunch arrive 3 days prior and mine was built first based on me making a deal prior. Salesman said they haven’t went through any training yet on the new ones so I have to figure on my own. Any help or secrets please pass on, I’m not the best at technology so maybe I’m doing something wrong. Silly as it might sound I made the trade because of the ability to have music and GPS along with more room. Thanks...

ARtraveler
03-18-2018, 06:36 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new ryde.

Unfortunately, it may take some time before everyone gets aboard with the new technology. :thumbup:

Flamewinger
03-19-2018, 12:55 AM
The only music I have available from the phone (iPhone X) is the music I have loaded with a radio I have to get started before I plug it into the bike. The only problem I found is I have to mute the Genius Maps so the music will keep playing. If I see the icons (Misic, Maps, Weather) I can hear music and maps directions but when I view the maps and it give me a direction the music stops and I cant start it without shutting the bike off. I have mounted the phone on the dash of the RT so I can fiddle with it when starting and when getting gas as I've found BRP Connect has to be visible when turning the bike on or it won't load. When you turn the bike off with the Maps showing the phone will open and you'll see the maps and you need BRP Connect showing for it to load.

Hoping the software update will fix problems as well as hoping for Rever, FOBO and SiriusXM. You can get a $90 cash card from BRP to cover the cost of the Maps. You should get an email or check other posts for $90 Cash Card.

Joel The Biker
03-19-2018, 02:35 AM
You have to pay to use the gps?

Lamonster
03-19-2018, 07:01 AM
I traded my 2017 F3-S for a 2018 FS Limited 3 weeks ago and for the most part have been enjoying it but I’m having issues with BRP Connect. Almost half the time when I start it up the radio won’t work nor will my blue tooth connect where I can play Pandora. The message that pops up says something about an audio delay and to basically give it a few minutes but that never works, I usually just shut my Spyder off and try again with that working about half of the time. I also went through the process of buying what’s required to run Genius Maps but when trying to use it along with having the radio on it freezes up. Does me no good to contact dealer because 3 weeks ago when I purchased nobody there new nothing about the new dash/BRP Connect. They had a bunch arrive 3 days prior and mine was built first based on me making a deal prior. Salesman said they haven’t went through any training yet on the new ones so I have to figure on my own. Any help or secrets please pass on, I’m not the best at technology so maybe I’m doing something wrong. Silly as it might sound I made the trade because of the ability to have music and GPS along with more room. Thanks...

I don't have an answer for you as we're still waiting on our 2018 but I would message BRPcare and see if they can help.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?12914-BRPcare

Doc - Riverside
03-19-2018, 08:02 AM
I don't have an answer for you as we're still waiting on our 2018 but I would message BRPcare and see if they can help.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?12914-BRPcare

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to send a message to BRPcare via the link you provided.

jaherbst
03-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Ain't new technology grand. Hope someone here can help you.

Jack

Lamonster
03-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Unless I'm missing something there is no way to send a message to BRPcare via the link you provided.

Guess you're right. As admin I see it but it looks like they have it turned off for others. They keep changing the customer support links too. This link might help. https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/customer-service.html

loisk
03-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Try an email to brp.care@brp.com

ARtraveler
03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Try an email to brp.care@brp.com

This is the link that has worked in the past. :yes:

canamjhb
03-19-2018, 03:57 PM
I'll bet BRP Cares will just refer you to your dealer. And your dealer has already admitted that they don't know what they're doing. :banghead: Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Flamewinger
03-19-2018, 06:35 PM
I'll bet BRP Cares will just refer you to your dealer. And you dealer has already admitted that they don't know what they're doing. :banghead: Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

I've been sending messages to BRP Cares about the software and radio and Yes all I get is talk to your dealer. It's gets escalated to show they read the message but then they pass the buck to the dealer. :sour:

ryan
02-04-2019, 07:55 PM
I am having the same issue with my 2018 FS Limited.
Within an hour of driving her off the showroom floor my radio went out and I was staring at an error message about it trying to load. I took my bike right back to the dealership and they kept it for about 2 weeks and "changed" some parts out but were not able to resolve the issue. I rode my bike for the rest of the season without using the radio, I have a Bluetooth helmet, frustrated the entire time.
My bike has been at the dealership now for about 3 months, over winter and when I spoke to them last week they still have not fixed the radio issue.
I love my brand new bike and I expect to be able to use all the features so right now I'm a bit bitter with BRP and their support to the dealership and me as a customer.

jdmartin
02-04-2019, 09:11 PM
I bought a 2018 RT limited in Dec. I am retired with time to try and figure out some of the issues and then something new crops up. I have decided to buy a Lamonster Ram mount with USB and power use my phone and Bluetooth it to my helmet and be done with the whole mess. Needless to say I am disappointed .

Flamewinger
02-04-2019, 09:59 PM
I bought a 2018 RT limited in Dec. I am retired with time to try and figure out some of the issues and then something new crops up. I have decided to buy a Lamonster Ram mount with USB and power use my phone and Bluetooth it to my helmet and be done with the whole mess. Needless to say I am disappointed .

You might try getting the 2019 owners manual and reading the instructions that are missing from the 2018 manual. One you figure it out it's great.

IgoFar2
02-04-2019, 10:51 PM
You might try getting the 2019 owners manual and reading the instructions that are missing from the 2018 manual. One you figure it out it's great.
Here's that Owners Manual link: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&s1=a785fdc9-7d76-4db4-b85f-d4ec7b56c8dd

Flamewinger
02-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Here's that Owners Manual link: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&s1=a785fdc9-7d76-4db4-b85f-d4ec7b56c8dd

This link doesn't work as you still have to select Roadster then 2019 then RTL etc. Thats why I just post the basic link.

jlc41
02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Flamewinger, you still can get to infoe by selecting the sequences you state, Works for me.

meerkat
02-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Did you get all the up dates ? I think there have been about five .

_..stiffler..
02-06-2019, 08:02 PM
are you trying to use pandora on the spyder? has it worked?

from what I have seen only apple music works with BRP connect or radio.

I have the same machine and I can get mine to work all the time with apple music. (downloaded music as well for offline) hope that helps.

as for genius maps I also use that and both apple music and maps work and I listen through my Sena.

not sure if this is what you were asking about

any questions let me know

Stiff

jdmartin
02-06-2019, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all your input and help I will try them all. I'm to stubborn to give up.

TheJuiceMan
04-14-2019, 09:59 AM
I'm going to take a hard line on this issue, so I apologize in advance if my "rant" seems a bit harsh, but I think this needs to be said. First, just to be clear, I absolutely love my Sypder, but BRP Connect is terrible and is such a let down for those of us who actually made Can-am purchase/upgrade decisions based on the promise of what this "improved technology" had to offer. I'm a techie, so the prospect of BRP Connect (upgraded dash, apps, etc) was a really big deal for me, so much so that I traded in my 2016 RT-Limited SE6 for a 2018 F3 Limited primarily for the BRP Connect upgrade--I wanted this new dash. I have personally experienced most if not all of the BRP Connect problems highlighted on this thread and I'm extremely tech savvy. As loyal and committed customers (hell, I even see Lamonster commenting on this thread) I don't think we should let BRP off the hook by simply chalking up the problems GRUNT, ryan, jdmartin and others (including myself) are experiencing as a misunderstanding of the software that can be resolved by some customer care rep at BRP Cares or your local dealer. I understand the software and it's horrible, plain and simple. Customer service can't fix this, but BRP can. What's more, the fact that most if not all of the navigation apps you are forced to use through BRP Connect continue to milk you by charging fees for map upgrades, downloads, etc., when the best "FREE" map/navigation software in existence today (Apple maps, Google maps, WAZE, and others) is literally sitting on EVERY SYPDER OWNER's cell phone locked in their frunks or dash compartment unable to be effectively accessed by this "improved technology" is perhaps the biggest slap in the face. If BRP truly cares about its customers, it needs to fix this by incorporating something akin to Apple CarPlay and the Samsung equivalent into its firmware upgrade for BRP Connect and end our pain and frustration with these off-brand, dysfunctional, cash-leeching apps. I've personally told Can Am this during a recent telephone survey/feedback session...I hope they're listening. Just my 02. cents...thanks for allowing me to provide it. I'll get off my soapbox now.

QuadRAGIN
04-14-2019, 10:16 AM
Lemon Law it!

QuadRAGIN
04-14-2019, 10:19 AM
are you trying to use pandora on the spyder? has it worked?

from what I have seen only apple music works with BRP connect or radio.

I have the same machine and I can get mine to work all the time with apple music. (downloaded music as well for offline) hope that helps.

as for genius maps I also use that and both apple music and maps work and I listen through my Sena.

not sure if this is what you were asking about

any questions let me know

Stiff

I just use Bluetooth for spotify, which is a JOKE BRP Connect should just use Apple Car Play and Android Auto

TheCajun1957
04-14-2019, 05:02 PM
I agree with the Apple Car Play. This system could be so awesome.

Spyder_Cowgirl
04-14-2019, 06:41 PM
First, I do not want to minimize any of the problems people are having with BRP Connect … as I have faced some of them myself. And, like TheJuiceMan, I am extremely tech savvy (more than 30 years in software library design and support will do that to you). However, for those whos posts are recent on this thread …. please check your dash SW version …. SOME of the issues detailed here are supposed to be fixed (I believe the latest version is 20.xx.xx and prior was something like 19.3.x). Note that I have not yet had my dash updated, but do plan on it at the first service -- putting miles on the RT while trying to get a CB issue resolved; so it may be a few weeks. Additionally, I tried the "free trial" version of Genius Maps and didn't like it. About that time, BRP added Sygic and there was a "Sygic Sale" in their own store, so I got a discount on the upgrade that gives lifetime support (nearly half off, if I recall). Sygic is not perfect, but it does work and it is more "Garmin like" than Genius Maps. The main issue I am waiting to get resolved is "no music" in the BT headset (my J&M CB will be paired as a headset and I would like to hear both it an music in the headset). According to the description of the SW update, the "no music" issue is resolved with the 20.xx.xx dash update.

Finally, I agree that BRP missed the mark by going with proprietary BRP Connect instead of somewhat proven tech like Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Though, truth be told, I have heard that Honda has had some issues with their new digital dash as well (it uses Apple Car Play and Android Auto).

Good luck to us all. Love the F3 … don't have enough time with the new dash to say if I like it or not.

All the best …. Ann

McClendons
04-14-2019, 07:03 PM
I am starting to believe that a class action suit is needed. After all, they are now on version 20.X and not everything works! I am switching over to just phone and headset on a $30K bike.......not good.

I am on 13.2, why, because the dealer could not do the 20.8 when it first came out. I now expect to have to [ay for an update becauseCan Am dies not consider a working system needed on an RT. I think Can Am is getting too much leeway, just as Honda is with the Golding 2018 Nav that does not work (I had one).

A simple solution for BRP would be a retrofit to at least a 2017 stable version of audio. A much better would be to engage Bosch to fix their issues. The best, android auto and Apple CarPlay (Not just apple as Honda did, as many use Android).

Probably seem bitter, mainly because I nearly bought a 2017 in a preferred color. but wanted the great new dash that does not work. I never talk about suing, but Can Am ripped us off with BRP Connect period/ Heck, even if it worked, the USB connections are in ovens that punish our phones......

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-14-2019, 08:33 PM
A much better would be to engage Bosch to fix their issues.
Pardon me for laughing. I guess you don't know but BRP Connect is a version of mySPIN, which is Bosch's smartphone connectivity system for vehicles. So, Bosch HAS been engaged from the very outset.

From this page: https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal/de/en/the-bosch-innovations-on-show-at-the-eicma-2017-132495.html

mySPIN – smartphone integration solution:

mySPIN enables riders to transfer the content of their smartphones to their motorcycle, scooter, or powersport vehicle. In 2017, mySPIN went into production for the first time in BRP’s on-road Can-Am Spyder trike. mySPIN will be featured in more and more popular powersport vehicles. The reasons for selecting mySPIN are the way it allows the expertise of key third-party apps to be leveraged, its simplicity of use, and its capacity to minimize distractions compared with the other solutions in the market (smartphone cradles, touchscreens).

And on this page: https://www.sygic.com/car-connected-navigation/brp

Sygic Car Navigation for motorcycles is specially optimized to work with head-units with Bosch mySPIN connectivity option. This connectivity allows you to connect your smartphone and project navigation directly onto the head unit screen. Once the smartphone is connected via USB cable to your motorcycle you can conveniently control it through rotary knob or joystick on handlebars.

And on this page: https://www.infoware.de/en/automotive/connected-car/best-smartphone-connectivity-in-the-car/

mySPIN

The major advantage of the mySPIN technology from Bosch is that it connects both iOS and Android apps to the car! The application is mirrored on the screen in the vehicle in a way that makes sense to the driver. The app can use the car’s GPS and speakers.

What I'm having a hard time finding are what cars use mySPIN. The only ones I came across are Jaguar and Land Rover. BMW motorcycles also use mySPIN. There isn't a lot of recent information on the web about mySPIN, or any of the other systems. I suspect all car companies are now committed to one system or another and everyone is holding all their info close to chest because of extreme competitiveness.

For those of you who use Cardo BT systems this is interesting. I don't know if BRPConnect has it available yet. https://www.cardosystems.com/press-release/cardo-systems-now-compatible-with-bosch-softtec-myspin-for-two-wheelers/.

FalconAF
04-15-2019, 04:15 AM
For those of you who use Cardo BT systems this is interesting. I don't know if BRPConnect has it available yet. https://www.cardosystems.com/press-release/cardo-systems-now-compatible-with-bosch-softtec-myspin-for-two-wheelers/.

I've got the Cardo Freecom4+ on my Shoei. There was an update for it which I installed, and I redownloaded/reinstalled both the iPhone Cardo Connect and BRP apps for my iPhone. The BRP app doesn't show Cardo Connect as being an available app yet, so there is no way for me to get it to add into the BRP app on my iPhone then get it to show up on the Spyder dash.

McClendons
04-15-2019, 06:30 AM
I know who makes it and should be held accountable.....reason I stated "Bosch to fix THEIR...". All I am stating, BRP is dropping the ball not holding them accountable......and they clearly have not be held accountable, nor has BRP stepped up.

Pallidus Aranea
04-15-2019, 07:38 AM
I have been setting on the sidelines watching this brew so to speak. I am a 2018 RTL owner that also does not understand BRP's half-baked integration of the Bosch mySpin system. I do not understand the partnership of Bosch, BRP and the selected software that is approved in this case. Personally, I think that BRP did not want to get into paying rights management fees with Apple for CarPlay. BRP Connect is absolute crap. BRP is primarily accountable for selecting and sticking with Bosch. Bosch is just hocking software that has been 'customized' by BRP. There could be an underlying iOS issue preventing CarPlay or Android from being used but that would also mean BRP went ... really, really, really far to save $1 per unit.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Pallidus, if you thing there's a minor revolt out there in Spyder land now just think how much more fierce it would be if BRP went with CarPlay. It would be iOS users only, which would be what, 30 or 40% of Spyder owners. I don't know what the situation is now but when the 2018 Goldwing came first came out if you wanted connectivity you had to switch to iPhone if you didn't already have one. And from what I read that system has not been trouble free either.

The real problem, IMO, is that the relentless push for bells and whistles and all sorts of fancy uses for software, and trying to stay ahead of competitors, and the subsequent short life of every iteration, has caused developers to not pay sufficient attention to s/w quality to the degree needed. I've been saying for years people weren't going to get serious about the issue until an airliner dropped out the sky because of a software problem.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-15-2019, 08:54 AM
..reason I stated "Bosch to fix THEIR...".
Fair enough. Since the focus of the conversation was BRP I just automatically connected "their" to BRP.

canamjhb
04-15-2019, 11:28 AM
One of my riding buddies was ready to "upgrade" his 2015 RTL for a new RTL. The problems, confusion, and lack of user-friendliness of the BRP Connect system dissuaded from making the purchase. He is keeping his 2015. Sale lost.....! BRP, are you listening.....? Jim

FalconAF
04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Truth be told, I'm not all that upset about the whole issue to be honest. I never bought my 2018 RTL because it had a dashboard I could connect a cell phone or GPS to. I never used a GPS on my previous 2-wheel Honda for the 5 years and 85K miles I rode it. I had a Bluetooth helmet and my iPhone and could listen to music, make/receive phone calls while riding, and get voice directions from Google Maps if I wanted them. But I never used a GPS "look at a map" thing while riding 'cos I wasn't going to do that while on the bike. And it might be just me, but when the day comes I can't look at a map between gas stops and remember where I need to go for 200 miles or less without getting so lost I might get killed, it's time for me to quit riding all together (how the heck did we EVER get anywhere before GPS?). I've lost track of how many times I was following someone who was using their GPS to guide us, and we would get the infamous "In 800 feet make a U-turn then...". If I had a real navigator sitting on my pax seat who kept doing that, I'd throw them off the bike and make them walk. Significant other, friend, or not. :roflblack:

I now have the same iPhone, and my Cardo Freecom4+ on my helmet does all of the above, plus has it's own FM radio receiver, and has voice control for all of it. I never have to look at any map or even take my hands off the handlebars while riding with it. My iPhone gets plugged into the rear top case bluetoothed to my helmet and I never touch it while I'm riding the Spyder.

As for BRP losing sales, I can relate to that. The main and ONLY reason I never bought a Gold Wing was because Honda held all their owners hostage with the "Tier" system of accessories for one. I wanted ABS on any bike I ride. To get it on a Wing I HAD to "buy" lower-tiered XM Radio and GPS first, for an additional few thousand dollars. I didn't want either of those. I wanted the ABS SAFETY item, which was the LAST tier of a Gold Wing. So Honda wouldn't let me buy a SAFETY item without forcing me to buy a subscription radio service and a subscription GPS service first. So I never spent ANY money on a Wing. BRP might be losing sales to older Spyder owners who won't trade up, and even first time Spyder wannabes because of the BRP Connect problem too. BRP's loss if so.

Wahrsuul
04-15-2019, 12:18 PM
From reading all these issues, I'm leery of looking at an '18+ model. The cost is a bit more than I wanted, but '18s can be had for a decent price. But I'd rather not deal with a bunch of known issues up front. I have to agree with Falcon AF (fellow USAF or not) I'm not likely to pair my phone (Fandroid here) to the bike, nor am I apt to use GPS while riding. getting lost is half the fun. Still, if they haven't gotten it right by now, what else is going on? Also, I'm not impressed by my local dealer, so updates would be an issue.

McClendons
04-15-2019, 01:13 PM
As for BRP losing sales, I can relate to that. The main and ONLY reason I never bought a Gold Wing was because Honda held all their owners hostage with the "Tier" system of accessories for one. I wanted ABS on any bike I ride. To get it on a Wing I HAD to "buy" lower-tiered XM Radio and GPS first, for an additional few thousand dollars. I didn't want either of those. I wanted the ABS SAFETY item, which was the LAST tier of a Gold Wing. So Honda wouldn't let me buy a SAFETY item without forcing me to buy a subscription radio service and a subscription GPS service first. So I never spent ANY money on a Wing. BRP might be losing sales to older Spyder owners who won't trade up, and even first time Spyder wannabes because of the BRP Connect problem too. BRP's loss if so.

The above hits on exactly why I am upset with BRP. We all paid good money for the BRP Connect Dash and it simply does not work. If BRP would refund $1K for an inferior dash (know will never happen), I would be less bothered. As is though, I would really like to get what I paid for. Overall, the Spyder is a great product, but just as Honda has done with the Goldwing, they charge you for electronics that don't work (The Nav system specifically, which I can say 1st hand is worse than my 1st Ten Garmin years back).

I installed a Garmin Nav on my Spyder last week, actually a BMW Navigator V from a previous bike. And like others, will stream from my phone to get music. But would be very nice if the purchased product worked instead! Really hoping that BRP shows some customer care and at least tries to fix major issues.

billybovine
04-15-2019, 01:57 PM
From reading all these issues, I'm leery of looking at an '18+ model. The cost is a bit more than I wanted, but '18s can be had for a decent price. But I'd rather not deal with a bunch of known issues up front. I have to agree with Falcon AF (fellow USAF or not) I'm not likely to pair my phone (Fandroid here) to the bike, nor am I apt to use GPS while riding. getting lost is half the fun. Still, if they haven't gotten it right by now, what else is going on? Also, I'm not impressed by my local dealer, so updates would be an issue.

Don't let the new dash deter you from buying a 2018 or 19. The issues have to do with the latest and greatest features that the older dash was not able to anyways. The newer dash is superior to the older style in a lot of ways. The display is clearer with a lot more info displayed or available. A lot easier to navigate then the old dash. All this without ever connecting a smartphone or helmet headset.

Now if you wish to BT pair a phone and helmet headset to the dash. With the 2018-19 you can and it works extremely well. With the exception of FM and AUX audio source could not be sent to the helmet headset. That has now been corrected with the latest update of the dash software. With 2017 and older dash. You sort of maybe can connect by BT with very expensive accessory addons that did not work very well. With less functionality. Been there done that.

The problem comes when you want to use the BRP Connect features. That means you have to have a smartphone, iphone or android. Connected using the usb cable. That are located in not ideal locations. The compatible apps are limited. They may not work as expected. The compatible apps may require a one time fee(s) to use. The early software levels of the dash had a lot of bugs tied to the Connect features, but have been mostly corrected.

Now if you must have an integrated CB system from BRP. Then the newer dash is not for you. But for most users it will work just fine. But BRP Connect is a bit of a disappointment based on the marketing hype.

I don't use BRP Connect. I do pair my phone and helmet headset to the dash. That works very well. I have my phone mounted to the handle bars. That way I can use any app I want. On a bigger screen.

FalconAF
04-15-2019, 06:03 PM
:agree:

It's not the same as what I described about the Gold Wing. As billybovine said, there is NOTHING wrong with the new digital dash itself. It works fine for all the displays it is designed to show. It's the BRP Connect "app" that needs to be slaughtered and rebuilt so it will work correctly WITH the dash. But even if they don't ever fix that, my philosophy is my motorcycle is not an iPhone so if "apps" won't run correctly on it, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. The dash works fine for everything else it is designed to do and display.

QuadRAGIN
04-20-2019, 11:42 PM
The dealer service writer tells me that that my Dash has the latest firmware... I show him I have 13.20 then I have to explain it to him that the latest version is 20.8, he asks the tech comes back and says the tech plugged in and it did not take an update so what should we do.
I have to tell him to call BRP and ask them how to get 20.8 on their computer.. so they are gonna call on Monday
If I could do it I wouldnt need the dealer... and they tried to charge me for an alignment when Ive only had it 3 weeks and it always puled to the right. I like you should check that **** before giving to the customer.
1 Free Laser Alignment later and she rides like a whole new monster. No more bobbing back and forth in the lane very stable now.

BRPcare
04-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Hello,

If you are experiencing concerns with your BRP connect, we invite you to email us at brp.care@brp.com or call us at 1-888-272-9222. We would be happy to look into it and see what we can do to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare

Tenic
04-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Hello,

If you are experiencing concerns with your BRP connect, we invite you to email us at brp.care@brp.com or call us at 1-888-272-9222. We would be happy to look into it and see what we can do to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare

Thanks you Vanessa. It's reassuring to know that BRP is listening and inviting customers to contact you directly with these BRP Connect concerns. I'm hoping for an update to make it more user friendly.

RC

Flamewinger
04-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Hello,

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare

Every time I tried emailing/calling BRPcare I got told to talk to my dealer. BRPcare does not answer tech questions and, so far, doesn't listen to what I'm asking for. They keep telling me to get answers from my dealer. BRPcare is a waste of time as all they do is work with the dealer to answer customers questions. More answers are found here on spyderlovers.

stmike 1800
04-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Every time I tried emailing/calling BRPcare I got told to talk to my dealer. BRPcare does not answer tech questions and, so far, doesn't listen to what I'm asking for. They keep telling me to get answers from my dealer. BRPcare is a waste of time as all they do is work with the dealer to answer customers questions. More answers are found here on spyderlovers.

If you call enough times it gets bumped up the food chain.

Flamewinger
04-23-2019, 09:28 AM
I’ve had my ‘18 for over a year and paid for the GPS apps and no extra fees for any upgrades or map downloads. Since the latest dash update (20.8) it’s great. I’ve learned how to use it and I’ve even removed the phone from on top of the dash. It doesn’t get hot in the frunk and will be out of the weather. BRO Connect is not the best but then neither is Apple Car play.
Any communication with BRPcare is a waste of time as they don’t have the answers, they just tell you to talk to your dealer. Which is what I’ve already tried with no solution.

Two things that I’m angry about is no AM radio or CB.

h0gr1der
04-23-2019, 10:40 AM
You know what's a darn shame? I just bought a 2018 RTL, and specifically asked them to update the software before I took delivery. Checked today, it is still at 010.05. Another 100 mile trip to the dealer.

You know what else is a sad story. Many of my software driven technical devices are set up so you can download firmware updates from the manufacturers website to a clean formatted thumb drive or SD card, follow the directions about insertion and power up, and easily update the device. I haven't read about that option with the Can Am brand.

FalconAF
04-23-2019, 01:09 PM
You know what else is a sad story. Many of my software driven technical devices are set up so you can download firmware updates from the manufacturers website to a clean formatted thumb drive or SD card, follow the directions about insertion and power up, and easily update the device. I haven't read about that option with the Can Am brand.

It might be sad, but it's realistic if you understand some of the reasons it isn't done that way for many "devices" like cars too. Once you give the end-user the ability to access the programming of the "device", all kinds of fun (and illegal) things can start happening. Like rolling back the digital odometer display on the vehicle prior to reselling it to someone. Not everyone would know how to do that, but someone with say 26 years of professional IT experience who also worked Computer Security (*cough* *cough*) could easily find a resourceful 13-year old on the Internet who could "hack" or "crack" the "device" for you. Just ask the DoD the ages of some of the teenagers who "hacked" into classified networks "for the fun of it".

Giving the "owner" the ability to update firmware and software on their home computer or smartphone or GPS device is one thing. Doing it for an entire vehicle that uses a computer based technology for darn near everything on the vehicle is totally different, with associated consequences that may not be good for the owner themselves (re: safety items controlled by the vehicle itself) or things like tampering with recorded data the vehicle keeps (odometer records, etc).

jwulf74
04-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Heck, I would be happy if they just made it so the ipod would plug in and work like on our 2011 RT's or better yet just make it so I can plug in a thumb drive...

billybovine
04-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Heck, I would be happy if they just made it so the ipod would plug in and work like on our 2011 RT's or better yet just make it so I can plug in a thumb drive...

Well what you say is true. There is another way. Your goal is to have your own tunes on your Spyder. Just load all of your tunes on your phone. BT pair your phone with the dash. Tell your phone to start playing your tunes. Done. Don't have to plug anything in if you don't want to. The song title and artist are displayed on the dash. Skip to the next track or replay from the handlebar controls.

So really losing the ability to plug in a ipod or usb thumb drive is just not a problem.

stevekraft
04-27-2019, 01:56 PM
BRP connect is worst app ever! have tried any number of times without success. Dealer is as lost as I am.
have just decided to forget it and use helmet bluetooth with ani touch for music.
BTW, maps cost about $50. Told by dealer BRP would reimburse, but that turned out to be for RT purchases; I got an F3T.

KenInMN
04-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Hello,

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare

Thanks for taking the time to read thru this thread and responding Vanessa. But......

I was simply told to Contact my Dealer. I did. I also contacted other dealers. Not one of them knew anything at all about how the BRP Connect system worked. None of them knew it would cost me an additional $100 to actually use the mapping system.

Whizwaz
04-28-2019, 07:06 AM
I am an early adopter of software, so I am used to bugs and quirky operation.
The BRP software is okay, but could be improved. What I would like to see:
I can stream (Bluetooth) Pandora, Slacker, Amazon music just fine. Once I connect to the USB it defaults to BRP connect and disables Bluetooth from the phone. I just want to charge the phone, yet use Bluetooth to continue to stream music.
We need more app access. The aforementioned music apps, and possibly Google Maps and Waze. I have kids on our data plan, so I am paying for plenty of data to support these apps. :)
Saturday, REVER signed me out on ride (?!), and BRP Connect just locked up and I couldn’t select any of the apps. In a group ride, you can’t just stop to fiddle with your phone connection. I had one staticky FM station I could listen to, and it wasn’t a music station.
The best option would be to switch to Car Play. I haven’t used the Android system, but Apply Car Play in our Hyundai integrates wonderfully with the phone, and the apps would work even better with the joystick in most cases.
Just my thoughts.

McClendons
04-28-2019, 08:06 AM
I can stream (Bluetooth) Pandora, Slacker, Amazon music just fine. Once I connect to the USB it defaults to BRP connect and disables Bluetooth from the phone. I just want to charge the phone, yet use Bluetooth to continue to stream music.

As a workaround to the default to BRP Connect, you could get a USB charge only cable. Since those cables do not transfer data, the bike should not throw the phone into BRP Connect. If you can't find a charge only cable, they used to be common but I've not seen allot lately, you could try an adapter like https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Charge-Only-Adapter-Android/dp/B00FA9GXKM/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=234300520020&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012126&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4701127687327909858&hvtargid=aud-648454669636%3Akwd-38671611989&keywords=usb+charge+only+adapter&qid=1556456632&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Wahrsuul
04-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Going to Car Play would be fine, if you're one of the apple faithful. But it alienates everyone else, and I'm not about to do the iphone thing again just to have music on my ride.

ChicagoSpyder
05-14-2019, 04:33 AM
I'm going to take a hard line on this issue, so I apologize in advance if my "rant" seems a bit harsh, but I think this needs to be said. First, just to be clear, I absolutely love my Sypder, but BRP Connect is terrible and is such a let down for those of us who actually made Can-am purchase/upgrade decisions based on the promise of what this "improved technology" had to offer. I'm a techie, so the prospect of BRP Connect (upgraded dash, apps, etc) was a really big deal for me, so much so that I traded in my 2016 RT-Limited SE6 for a 2018 F3 Limited primarily for the BRP Connect upgrade--I wanted this new dash. I have personally experienced most if not all of the BRP Connect problems highlighted on this thread and I'm extremely tech savvy. As loyal and committed customers (hell, I even see Lamonster commenting on this thread) I don't think we should let BRP off the hook by simply chalking up the problems GRUNT, ryan, jdmartin and others (including myself) are experiencing as a misunderstanding of the software that can be resolved by some customer care rep at BRP Cares or your local dealer. I understand the software and it's horrible, plain and simple. Customer service can't fix this, but BRP can. What's more, the fact that most if not all of the navigation apps you are forced to use through BRP Connect continue to milk you by charging fees for map upgrades, downloads, etc., when the best "FREE" map/navigation software in existence today (Apple maps, Google maps, WAZE, and others) is literally sitting on EVERY SYPDER OWNER's cell phone locked in their frunks or dash compartment unable to be effectively accessed by this "improved technology" is perhaps the biggest slap in the face. If BRP truly cares about its customers, it needs to fix this by incorporating something akin to Apple CarPlay and the Samsung equivalent into its firmware upgrade for BRP Connect and end our pain and frustration with these off-brand, dysfunctional, cash-leeching apps. I've personally told Can Am this during a recent telephone survey/feedback session...I hope they're listening. Just my 02. cents...thanks for allowing me to provide it. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Great post!

Hello,

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare
Hello Vanessa, the real fix is for BRP to do an update that will allow the unit the unit to function with Apple Car Play and Android Auto, anything less is a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Big F
05-15-2019, 07:28 AM
the best I can say is good luck on the BRP Connect. I have a 2018 RTL with the same set up. It simply is NOT user friendly. a fellow Spyder rider buddy of mine went through mine recently and found most everything working. but he is a retired computer tech and understands everything. I'm just technically challenged and it is very frustrating. I"m now trying to find a mount to put my Garmin on my Spyder as I don't have the patience with the smart phone relay to BRP connect, etc. ;
BIG F

RandyB
06-06-2020, 07:50 PM
Well said TheJuiceMan, I totally agree. I have a new 2019 RT Limited and even with the trials of genius maps or playing music through BRP connect I cannot even hear it coming out of the speakers and I cannot figure out how to adjust the volume. If you move the joy stick up or down it just changes the track in music and in maps just moves the choices that you can select. NO volume adjustment.

I contacted BRP care on this and all they told me was contract my dealer, and my dealer like most are after two+ years now clueless on how to use BRP connect. Very bad software. Please give us apple play and android play.

kissfan
06-07-2020, 11:47 PM
Well said TheJuiceMan, I totally agree. I have a new 2019 RT Limited and even with the trials of genius maps or playing music through BRP connect I cannot even hear it coming out of the speakers and I cannot figure out how to adjust the volume. If you move the joy stick up or down it just changes the track in music and in maps just moves the choices that you can select. NO volume adjustment.

I contacted BRP care on this and all they told me was contract my dealer, and my dealer like most are after two+ years now clueless on how to use BRP connect. Very bad software. Please give us apple play and android play.

To hear the instructions in Genius Maps you have to watch the display while riding. When you see the word "Announcement" then THAT is when you up the volume. It will adjust the Genius Maps volume and not the music volume.

That is the trick.

Flamewinger
06-08-2020, 12:25 AM
I am an early adopter of software, so I am used to bugs and quirky operation.
The BRP software is okay, but could be improved. What I would like to see:
We need more app access. The aforementioned music apps, and possibly Google Maps and Waze. I have kids on our data plan, so I am paying for plenty of data to support these apps. :)
Saturday, REVER signed me out on ride (?!), and BRP Connect just locked up and I couldn’t select any of the apps. In a group ride, you can’t just stop to fiddle with your phone connection. I had one staticky FM station I could listen to, and it wasn’t a music station.
The best option would be to switch to Car Play. I haven’t used the Android system, but Apply Car Play in our Hyundai integrates wonderfully with the phone, and the apps would work even better with the joystick in most cases.
Just my thoughts.

I figured out to get SiriusXM as well as use BRP C. Haven't been able to try it out much but an hour ride and no problems.

https://youtu.be/sYKK5Hdj1Qk

rock n roll
07-03-2021, 05:05 PM
I purchased a 2011 spyder rt in 2011--- Then I purchased a 2015spyder rt in 2015 , the 2015 came with a GPS unit on it , as far as the music goes I listen to my ipod with my itunes library ,which was easy and worked great. the only thing was only 5TH generation ipod was the only one that worked. ,BUT IT WAS GREAT. The wife & I were going down HWY 270 from riding up to Grafton Il and back when this car pulled in front of me changing lanes and I saw this big piece of square metal in center of road 1 second before I went over it , it hit back tire Blowed it out bent rim ,rotor ,caliper. and a bunch other things ,around $3 thousand dollars worth. One month later got it out of shop and went and traded it in for 2021 Spyder RT Limited.I really do like the bike but why did they change something that was working fine.This BRP Connect app doesnt work . have to download it , then if you want a gps app that dont work great, your music, only the music on your phone , I had 2215 songs on my ipod I LOVE MUSIC , I have a ipod touch which is BLUETOOTH ,but that wont pair up with BRP Connect. So I am going to purchase a GPS unit like was on my 2015 RT, and I use 2 ipods 1 on jack to listen to and 1 on usb port to keep 1 charged all the time. And YOU ARE RIGHT NO DEALERS KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BRP CONNECT THEY TELL ME TO GO ON YOUTUBE AND WATCH VIDEO ON BRP CONNECT. I GIVE UP THIS IS MY LAST SPYDER, I HOPE THEY CHANGE SOMETHING IN NEAR FURTURE

Peteoz
07-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Yeah, rock n roll. I gave BRP Connect a fair trial, and my background is in IT.
It appears you can only guarantee an ongoing connection during a full moon, while standing on your head. Seriously though, I read everything possible about it, and even asked questions on the specialist FB page for it, and still get constant drop outs. I now plug my iPhone into the glove box power, where it syncs automatically to my headset, and my Zumo XT syncs automatically to my headset at power on, regardless of sequencing, and get all the functionality of BRP Connect, (music, phone, full GPS features, FOBO) but on a much larger screen, run via Siri. Hopefully they will develop BRP Connect further, but it still needs work in my opinion.

Pete

DanDanTMM
07-05-2021, 10:20 PM
@peteoz I am an IT nerd myself and also have a Zumo XT on my 2021 RTL. I have my iPhone plugged into the USB port in the glove box and my Scala G9 headset paired to BRPC. I am using the bluetooth adapter that Lamonster sells to connect the Zumo XT to BRPC via the aux plug. I don't have my Scala G9 paired to the Zumo XT in order to get all audio to my headset through BRPC so the volume controls on the bars control volume. I have my phone paired to the Zumo XT as well for weather and traffic and I output my music audio from Spotify to the Zumo so the GPS can mute the music for navigation instructions.

From your description it sounds like you have your headset paired to BRPC and the Zumo XT. How does that work for navigation and music at the same time if the music is coming from BRPC?

My biggest struggle is getting everything set just right so it all works together and I can hear both music and the GPS. It is especially frustrating when you have it all working great and you stop for gas and turn off the bike and then something doesn't work right and you have to troubleshoot what is wrong. I have sat at the pump for 5 minutes after starting everything back up trying to get my music audio back through BRPC.

pidjones
07-06-2021, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't mind BRPC problems, if I could just turn it fully OFF and not have it bugging me to connect when I want to change sources.

Airjohn
07-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Hello Grunt,

I am an owner of a 2018 F3 Limited with BRP Connect. Also, I have a background in electronics and had a job for many years testing and integrating modern electronics in commercial aircraft. Basically, the BRP Connect has not been tested enough and has many unknowns and issues connecting with a wide variety of gadgets. I chose to merely bypass the BRP Connect entirely and use what is commonly available already and proven. The only thing I do use on the BRP Connect is the USB connector to keep my cell phone charging along the way, works great.

It's real simple, get a Blu-tooth helmet whether built in or after market add on (I chose the Cardo Blacktalk aftermarket) and use it to connect to your cell phone. Very easy and it will after initial pairing, automatically reconnect to the cell phone when you turn it on in your helmet. Also, most modern cell phones can pair to TWO different Blu-tooth devices at once. With that said, I added a Garmin Zumo GPS and let it pair to my cell phone. With the Garmin APP installed on the cell phone I got turn by turn updates through the cell phone audio from the APP to my Blu-tooth helmet. DONE, no BRP Connect whatsoever, and all lived happily ever after.

Just wanted to pass this along as to what worked for me. Maybe in the future when BRP Connect gets upgraded and more definitive instructions appear in a manual, we might consider a change. Anyway, motor on for now with tunes, Sirius Radio, and whatever else you want from your cell phone will be available when riding directly to the helmet via Blu-tooth. Also, if you just want to hear some music or your playlist, download an aftermarket APP to your phone that is stand alone and doesn't use the Internet, and you can hear music without using valuable "Data Time Usage" from your phone provider.

Just some observations from an "Old School" guy that uses what is known to work. Best of luck on getting to where you want. ;)

Regards,
Airjohn

RideOn
07-06-2021, 02:15 PM
@peteoz I am an IT nerd myself and also have a Zumo XT on my 2021 RTL. I have my iPhone plugged into the USB port in the glove box and my Scala G9 headset paired to BRPC. I am using the bluetooth adapter that Lamonster sells to connect the Zumo XT to BRPC via the aux plug. I don't have my Scala G9 paired to the Zumo XT in order to get all audio to my headset through BRPC so the volume controls on the bars control volume. I have my phone paired to the Zumo XT as well for weather and traffic and I output my music audio from Spotify to the Zumo so the GPS can mute the music for navigation instructions.

From your description it sounds like you have your headset paired to BRPC and the Zumo XT. How does that work for navigation and music at the same time if the music is coming from BRPC?

My biggest struggle is getting everything set just right so it all works together and I can hear both music and the GPS. It is especially frustrating when you have it all working great and you stop for gas and turn off the bike and then something doesn't work right and you have to troubleshoot what is wrong. I have sat at the pump for 5 minutes after starting everything back up trying to get my music audio back through BRPC.

I've found that when you shut the Spyder down, the phone will also lock its screen. The only cure I know is to start the Spyder, let the Connect system get started, unplug the phone, unlock the screen, then plug it back into the USB connector while unlocked - assuming that's how you're using it. PITA but I can't find an alternative.

Bob

bigbadbrucie
07-06-2021, 03:01 PM
With all of the problems reported on here about BRPConnect, any thoughts that I’ve had about considering a new RT have all disappeared. I’m very happy with my ‘14 RTS. It runs good, gives me great wind therapy, annnnnd best of all.........
NO AGGRAVATION!

Peteoz
07-06-2021, 03:22 PM

Hi Dan,
No, I am not using BRPC at all. I am using my XT as the “hub”, and my iPhone is BT to it, and my Uclear is BT to it.
To be fair to BRPC, I bought a new Apple cable yesterday, just in case, and it performed much better than my old one (which was also an Apple cable, but very old). Everything worked, but like others, it would drop out randomly when I moved to FOBO or somewhere else. The XT connects every time and does not drop out, so it will remain my go to for the moment. BRPC certainly has great potential, but I would definitely class it’s current readiness as “in Beta test”……it is certainly not ready to be classed as “live”.

Pete

Flamewinger
07-06-2021, 08:10 PM
Great post!

Hello Vanessa, the real fix is for BRP to do an update that will allow the unit the unit to function with Apple Car Play and Android Auto, anything less is a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Apple Car Play and Android Auto require a larger screen. I just read where a Zumo user is having problems with their GPS unit. Learn how to work it and it works great.

VStarRider
07-07-2021, 07:21 PM
2018 is the first year with BRPC, correct? That leaves 2017 as the newest model one can get without BRPC...and no Bluetooth.

Looks like others have had good results using only Bluetooth to stream music, and not connecting at all to BRPC.

Looks like the 2018+ have a better speaker setup also.

I would like the better speakers, and as long as BT connects fine to my phone, I can live with that and charge through a 12V receptacle...and steer clear of the cable that connects to BRPC.