PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender On & Green but not charged

nealperkins
03-16-2018, 09:11 AM
I decided to go out for the season's first ride, the battery tender was showing GREEN but, there was an insufficient charge to turn the engine over. Weird. That's never happened on any bike. Has this ever happened to you? If so, what was the cause? BTW, the battery connections seem tight.
Thanks!

Little Blue
03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Did you check the battery voltage for 12.8 volts? :coffee: I guessing that you did all the look and wiggle tests. :f_spider: Maybe in need of a NEW Battery. I would have the Battery LOAD Tested FIRST.:thumbup:

Chupaca
03-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Need to check the output on the battery tender. Then need to load check the battery after a full charge. Sometimes there is a surface charge indicating that all is well till you put a load on it. Lights will come on and all fine till you hit the starter button. That, of course, is if it is the battery. Otherwise you would have to check other parts...:dontknow:

wyliec
03-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Yes this happened to me, and as it turns out it was the charger/tender, which showed a green light. As a result the battery was not able to start the spyder. I then took the battery to my dealer, and they placed the battery on their charger all night long. The next day they said the battery was at 12.9 volts, and good enough to start the spyder. Long story short, it wasn't good enough to start the spyder; like Chupaca said, it was probably only a surface charge. In my case, I replaced both the Odyssey battery, and charger; the battery was free, and the charger discounted even though I was a year or two past warranty on the battery, and many years past warranty on the charger.

nealperkins
That makes sense. I'll check that out. After a two hour ride the battery said it was 85% charged. Does that sound about right?

GearHd
I find with a Battery Tender, if the battery is beyond the ability to take a charge the BT defaults to the green light.

Little Blue
03-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Not sure how you are doing your testing. A test to see if the 'Tender' is putting out a charge, would be Check the battery voltage while the Tender is saying/showing it is charging. The Voltage should be 13 to 15 volts.:thumbup: Need a good Volt meter to check this Voltage. :spyder:

wyliec
03-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Not sure how you are doing your testing. A test to see if the 'Tender' is putting out a charge, would be Check the battery voltage while the Tender is saying/showing it is charging. The Voltage should be 13 to 15 volts.:thumbup: Need a good Volt meter to check this Voltage. :spyder:

That is the way it was done, at the place that actually sold Odyssey batteries and chargers. In my case it is the Odyssey charger that I use.

PaladinLV
03-16-2018, 10:13 AM
A dead cell will show that indication!

AJ

I decided to go out for the season's first ride, the battery tender was showing GREEN but, there was an insufficient charge to turn the engine over. Weird. That's never happened on any bike. Has this ever happened to you? If so, what was the cause? BTW, the battery connections seem tight.
Thanks!

Tazzel
03-16-2018, 10:14 AM
This just happened to me with my 2017 F3T. Battery would indicate a full charge but not be charged. Checked all the connections, all seemed fine. Took it into dealer and it was determined that it was a bad battery. Replaced under warranty.

Easy Rider
03-16-2018, 11:40 AM
That makes sense. I'll check that out. After a two hour ride the battery said it was 85% charged. Does that sound about right?

No.

Where did you find that talking battery ?? ;)

Let it sit for a few hours and see what happens.
Likely that battery is past it's useful life.

Cruzr Joe
03-16-2018, 03:04 PM

After a one hour ride your battery should be at 100% easily. battery may be weak

Cruzr Joe