PDA

View Full Version : Day light savings

Machinegunner
03-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Good warm riding weather will be upon us very soon now that the sun going to be out for an extra hour every day.

mowin
03-11-2018, 03:44 PM
:roflblack: :roflblack:...

I wish we got a extra hr of sunlight.

Chupaca
03-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Not for me....old fashion go by the sun. It will still be out the same amount of time...:roflblack: Like the wise old indian said..."only the white man can think if he cuts off the top part of a blanket and adds it to the bottom he will have a longer blanket...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-11-2018, 06:16 PM
:shocked: Someone stole an hour of my sleep...:gaah:

PW2013STL
03-11-2018, 08:00 PM
:shocked: Someone stole an hour of my sleep...:gaah:

Bob,

You will make it up by going to bed an hour earlier (assuming you go to bed at the same hour as yesterday).

ARtraveler
03-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Its really great in Alaska. It never gets totally dark all June/July. I can ride in the daylight at 2:00 AM. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

PW2013STL
03-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Its really great in Alaska. It never gets totally dark all June/July. I can ride in the daylight at 2:00 AM. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Been there and done that! I even have the t-shirt :yes:

canamjhb
03-11-2018, 10:04 PM
We don't do daylight saving here in Arizona. The sun comes up. The sun goes down. We ride in-between.

Peter Aawen
03-12-2018, 05:05 AM
Same here canamjhb, altho I must admit I often choose NOT to stop ryding when the sun goes down!! :ohyea:

But just for interests sake, I gotta ask, why do so many people (not 'exclusively', but certainly 'particularly' in the USA) say (& write) 'daylight savings?? :dontknow:

Isn't it just the saving or making better use of what daylight we get (ie, the economising of daylight) rather than collecting savings (ie, money in the bank)?? So it should be 'daylight saving', no plural.... unlike what you do when you collect all your money in the bank (ie, add to your savings) As per the link below:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/popular-links/daylight-saving-time-dst

And if anything hasta be plural, shouldn't it be the days that we are economising daylight over, ie this or any 'days' light saving'? And now that I've thrown that little chestnut out there..... :p :cheers:

vided
03-12-2018, 05:37 AM

blacklightning
03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
:clap:This is a great quote. But I have to admit I like it better when the clock says 7 or 8 in the evening and it is still light outside.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-12-2018, 08:09 AM

canamjhb
03-12-2018, 11:09 AM

And the only place in Arizona that does DST is the Navajo Indian Reservation....! Go figure. :hun:

Peter, thanks for pointing out my colloquial grammar. :opps: Post edited for "S" :D

Cavman
03-12-2018, 12:16 PM
I’ve always wondered that if it’s so great, why not have it year round? No loss of sleep, not having to mess with clock/watch settings, etc.

RinconRyder
03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
And the only place in Arizona that does DST is the Navajo Indian Reservation....!

There is an excellent reason for this.

First, consider that the Navajo reservation covers a large swath of territory in both northeastern Arizona and northwestern New Mexico. If the reservation, east and west, observed DST it would split the reservation into two different time zones. So they choose to observe Mountain Time year round which means they go to DST with the rest of the USA.

Peter Aawen
03-12-2018, 07:03 PM
...... Peter, thanks for pointing out my colloquial grammar. :opps: Post edited for "S" :D

I really wasn't singling anyone out (just look at the thread title :sour: ) but I do wonder why?? :dontknow: There are quite a few here in Aus who do the same; & sometimes it seems there might be a regional (or country/place of origin?) based language usage bias, but further delving into the where & who suggests that there's just as much of a variation in what is in common usage pretty much all over, despite the 'official term' & generally accepted 'correct grammatical usage' being 'daylight saving'? I guess it's just one of those things about the way spoken 'english' is developing & changing over time?! :rolleyes:

But don't get me started on the way more'n more people are using 'then' in circumstances when they really should be using 'than'!! :gaah::chill: ;)

But I still don't like the way my seat covers fade sooo much more while we are using DST than during the rest of the year! And imagine how those poor overworked & exhausted cows must suffer thru DST every year just so us humans can enjoy longer afternoons!! :shocked: :rolleyes:

Yazz
03-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Who's behind the curtain of daylight saving? Golf balls...

https://qz.com/1120488/daylight-saving-time-as-americans-know-it-was-instituted-by-corporate-lobbies-not-farmers/

RinconRyder
03-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Same here canamjhb, altho I must admit I often choose NOT to stop ryding when the sun goes down!! :ohyea:

But just for interests sake, I gotta ask, why do so many people (not 'exclusively', but certainly 'particularly' in the USA) say (& write) 'daylight savings?? :dontknow:

Isn't it just the saving or making better use of what daylight we get (ie, the economising of daylight) rather than collecting savings (ie, money in the bank)?? So it should be 'daylight saving', no plural.... unlike what you do when you collect all your money in the bank (ie, add to your savings) As per the link below:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/popular-links/daylight-saving-time-dst

And if anything hasta be plural, shouldn't it be the days that we are economising daylight over, ie this or any 'days' light saving'? And now that I've thrown that little chestnut out there..... :p :cheers:

It should have been called "daylight shifting" because that is what it does. Unfortunately, the term was coined during WWI and in the patriotic haste to get it passed it was misnamed. A common American problem.