PDA

View Full Version : RT Seat Comfy or No?

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Hey all, just got back from a local dealer that has some 2016 RT-S's for sale. Its been 3 years since I last sat on a Spyder and today I was wearing jeans but I did not think the seat was all that comfy, actually seemed to press into my mid inner thigh in a way that was noticeable. Wondering what your impression of the seat has been of it is one of the items you replaced. May have also been the jeans seam. Loved the bike though. I think the out the door price was about 25,700 which I think I could still chip away at.

They also have a 2017 RT in white which i sort of prefer just as a base model, so here's the next question. How important is the adjustable shock? I weight about 195 and trying to lose some. Is it a deal breaker between the RT and RT-S?

Thanks for the input.

spyderider1
03-08-2018, 06:13 PM
I honestly don't change my setting much. If I hit a rough patch I might bump it up or down but most times it's in my comfort zone. May also make a change if I'm solo or with a passenger. As far as the seat comfort, I'm fine with that. The backrest is a nice add-on, really no issues.

Woodaddict
03-08-2018, 06:14 PM
I CAN REPLY ABOUT THE SEAT. after about 1 1/4 hrs, I get sore and fidgety. for me its not a long distance seat, it looks good, but not feel good. so I got a Russell daylong seat. great! I had them moved me back 1.5", got a back rest too.

Bob Denman
03-08-2018, 06:14 PM
The seats always fit my hiney well-enough for 600-plus mile days in the saddle... :2thumbs:
But I also put some sheepskin over the top of them. I got the skins from Misty Mountain. :bowdown:

Everybody's butt has it's own idea about what is comfortable: yours might like something different... :dontknow:

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 06:21 PM
So much to learn, I never realized I could get “cheek” customized seats that would scoot me up or back. Where does one go to get fitted for all that?

Bob I like the idea of sheepskin as a place to start.

How many miles did you guys put on the bike before you started to decide what you wanted to do with it?

pegasus1300
03-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Check my post in your other thread

Buckeye Bleau
03-08-2018, 06:49 PM
I rode mine for over a year before any changes. After about an hour I was getting VERY uncomfortable, some time really painful in the butt.
I bought a Misty Mountain Shhepskin and it improved a lot, but not enough
I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up a three inch thick section of upholstery foam, carefully cut it for the seat, placed it under the sheepskin and over the seat, now I can Ryde all day long! :yes::yes::yes:

Joe

robhowen
03-08-2018, 07:02 PM
I thought the factory RT seat was OKAY, but my tailbone would get numb. I changed to an Ultimate seat which is much better. From my experience a Russell Day Long is even better. A backrest is a must for me. As to the RT or RTS, I can't advise you. I went with an RTL and I'm so happy I did. I don't often adjust the rear shock, but so pleased when I do.

Rob

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Check my post in your other thread

Sorry Pegasus1300 but I only started one other thread that I can find and I don’t see a reply from you.

i may have searched incorrectly though.

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Let me add, although not a selling point for me, the speakers were not good. To say the least.

Ramrover
03-08-2018, 08:22 PM
One hour was all I could ride without stopping and walking around..... Finally purchased a Ultimate seat, and now I can ride all day without a problem.... Most of my Southern Cruiser friends also have Ultimate seats, because we ride all year around.....

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 08:32 PM
One hour was all I could ride without stopping and walking around..... Finally purchased a Ultimate seat, and now I can ride all day without a problem.... Most of my Southern Cruiser friends also have Ultimate seats, because we ride all year around.....

Thats good to know. I would try the cheaper options first simply because I’m going to get the hairy eyeball from the wife if the first thing I do after buying a 20k+ machine is tell her it needs a new seat. :shocked:

UtahPete
03-08-2018, 08:59 PM
I put the BRP comfort seat on my 2014RT, to give me more leg and arm room, although I'm only 5'10" and 190lbs. That made all the difference for me; I can ride for 3 hours at a time if I need to. Any discomfort comes from full bladder, sore shoulders, never from the saddle.

My wife has a standard RT seat on hers and thinks it's very comfortable. We typically ride 250 miles or more per day.

On other 2-wheelers I had to get a Mustang saddle for long distance comfort and would do so again on the RT but don't feel the need for it. This is a very comfortable bike. I think the Triaxial handlebars are more important than the saddle.

Grandpot
03-08-2018, 09:16 PM
As for the air bag, I find it very useful. When riding alone I set it on medium, when the wife hops on the back I set it all the way up. I'm going to get killed after that comment.

I find the stock seat to be the most comfortable MC seat I ever had. Will not change it.

bcer960
03-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Just my two cents here, and on this issue, I don't believe that anyone's opinion other than your own will count. You know what feels right for you.

For me, My wife and I love our spyder, and have not changed the seat. We have put over 22,000 kms it in 1.5 riding seasons. ( 9 months of riding) Last year on the way back from the Norcal rally we went just over 700miles in one day. got back on it the next morning and finished the journey home.

As for the shock, I leave it on the highest setting, and haven't touched since i found that that was the best setting for me.

Ray

Navydad
03-08-2018, 09:59 PM
I am 6'1" with 33" inseam and I use an Airhawk R with the stock seat and we have pulled several back to back 500 mile days with no problems. My wife uses a sheepskin on her part of the seat. We have the base RT and it has an adjustable shock just like the other models. The difference is that it has a valve under the seat to add or remove air instead of the compressor system. Not really a big deal to adjust, just add air carefully with a small compressor. It takes very little air to make a big change.

blacklightning
03-08-2018, 10:17 PM
I had a 2014 RT, and I found it to be pretty good, but I still could do no more than about an hour at a time. After that I need a couple of minutes break, and then I would be good again. I am 6'-2" and tried a comfort seat for the extra leg room, but it was harder and I switched back. I got a F3T last year, and it is more comfortable for me.
As for the difference between the RT and RTS concerning the adjustment on the shock, the RT suited me just fine. I only changed my setting when my wife would ride with me, which was only occasionally.
Now, about price, you should be able to get a 2016 RTS for a lot less than you stated. If nothing else, check out Imotorsports, they should be able to put you into a RT Limited for around that same price, delivered!

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and navydad thanks for the explanation of how the manual works, I was wondering about that.

Haze
03-08-2018, 10:25 PM
I had a stock seat on my 2013 STS that was uncomfortable after a few hours in the saddle.
I modified my seat with a MCDave gel pad and can now ride all day.
Total cost less than $100. Best investment in comfort I have made.

LeftCoast
03-08-2018, 10:48 PM
I had a 2014 RT, and I found it to be pretty good, but I still could do no more than about an hour at a time. After that I need a couple of minutes break, and then I would be good again. I am 6'-2" and tried a comfort seat for the extra leg room, but it was harder and I switched back. I got a F3T last year, and it is more comfortable for me.
As for the difference between the RT and RTS concerning the adjustment on the shock, the RT suited me just fine. I only changed my setting when my wife would ride with me, which was only occasionally.
Now, about price, you should be able to get a 2016 RTS for a lot less than you stated. If nothing else, check out Imotorsports, they should be able to put you into a RT Limited for around that same price, delivered!

Yeah it doesn’t take much shopping to beat that price. I may not buy from them but they’ll get the service $$ because they are the closest.

OverHillAndDale
03-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I LOATH the stock seat on my RT Limited for a reason I've not heard anyone else complain about. The back of the seat presses against my lower back with a mild pressure that becomes unbearable after a point. It seems to poke outward.

I replaced it with a Ultimate seat which I love, and I use an AirHawk cushion for long trips.

I might try an RDL if this seat ever wears out.

Bob Denman
03-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Just my two cents here, and on this issue, I don't believe that anyone's opinion other than your own will count. You know what feels right for you.
Ray

:agree: The only ass that you need to listen to; is your own! :D
Try taking the Spyder out for a good five or six hour ride... No stopping: just a thorough "butt meets seat" day. If you start feeling uncomfortable: start looking at seating options

blacklightning
03-09-2018, 08:52 AM
I LOATH the stock seat on my RT Limited for a reason I've not heard anyone else complain about. The back of the seat presses against my lower back with a mild pressure that becomes unbearable after a point. It seems to poke outward.
Funny you should mention that. I actually liked the way the back of the seat supported (or as you said, presses against my lower back). It helped me to sit up straight and not slouch like I have a tendency to do.

C. Lee
03-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Seats seem very subjective. Since I have no frame of reference I think an aftermarket seat couldn't be any worse, but I really need to try one before I switch. Like others have said, I can only get 1-2 hours before getting sore and uncomfortable, I hope there's something out there to help. Chris

fjray
03-09-2018, 10:55 AM
I hated the stock seat after a couple hours. Russell is the answer. I'm on my seventh one.

HayRog
03-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Apart from a Honda Nighthawk we rode (seems like a lifetime ago !) the seat on our RT-L is the best stock seat we've had. We have Alaska Leather sheepskin pads for rider and pillion https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads

Multiple back to back 500 mile days - no problem. Can't see us getting aftermarket seats on this bike.

To quote Bob Denman though -----" The only ass that you need to listen to; is your own! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png
Try taking the Spyder out for a good five or six hour ride... No stopping: just a thorough "butt meets seat" day. If you start feeling uncomfortable: start looking at seating options "

pegasus1300
03-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Sorry Pegasus1300 but I only started one other thread that I can find and I don’t see a reply from you.

i may have searched incorrectly though.

My memory must be off. Anyway I rode mine for awhile before I did anything. I determined that while comfortable at first,after a while it became a 2 hour seat. I decided that the budget was not going to allow for a $1000 to $1500 dollar seat. I talked to motorcycledave one of the sponsors here and bought his gel pad kit for my Spyder for $70.00(?) and a power stapler($25) ever been apart an installed that. Dave was very kind to hold my hand(over the phone) while I did the conversion, All went as he said it would,the seat looks great,you can't tell it has ever been apart until you sit on it. It is now an all day seat for day after day. I have been to Sturgis, San Diego MotoComuting, all over UT,ID,MT,Az over 30,000 miles on this conversion and it is well worth the $100 bucks and the Saturday I spent on it. My wife says her seat is fine,not as great as the Goldwing Trike seat but still good,but then she doesn't ride as much as I do either.

See #32

Peter Aawen
03-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Paraphrasing what others have said just a little, the only bum that can tell you how a seat will work for you is yours! So for what it's worth, the stock seat works well for me & my Missus on our 2013 RT Ltd.... altho I did change it from a Tan coloured seat to a Black coloured seat that came off a 2014 or 15 RT Ltd, but it's essentially still the same seat! :thumbup:

Anyhow, real reason for my post - just be aware that the little air bag on these things is not really an adjustable SHOCK - it really only varies the static ride height for a given load, altho by doing that it might support the shock & spring just a little more under a heavier load than it does under a light load.... so you aren't really increasing ryde FIRMNESS with more pressure in the air bag, you are really simply increasing the static ride height the auto air system will attempt to maintain via the air bag!! And by lowering the pressure you will simply drop the height the ACS will attempt to maintain.... There's no real connection between the air bag & the shock/spring performance - except that it doesn't take much weight/load on the suspension to bottom out the shock/spring if the air bag height assist isn't there for any reason (failed valve, compressor, or leak in the bag/air lines somewhere!!)

So you might find it of much more help to change out the stock shock/spring assembly for something better &/or adjustable if it's the ride & handling you want to improve. ;) Adding or lowering air pressure in the air bag won't really do that much at all, and really, any changes along those lines that it might make are going to be pretty much purely incidental to its actual function! :rolleyes:

trikermutha
03-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Some like the stock seat some don't, I was NOT one of those that stayed with the stock seat. The stock seat was ok but was to angled for me.

Fire34
03-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Doesn't everyone or most need to stop for fuel and stretch a bit? Our first road trip was only about 300 miles to our resort and rode another 300 out there. We stopped for fuel twice on the way out, just to stretch etc. We have a 2013 RTL with the stock seat and seemed to fit me well, the wife loves her part of the seat as well. I use her as a back rest on this trip, but have since purchased a seat with a back rest from a friend here.
I do like the idea of the gel pad how was it installed etc. Thanks guys

Dave

bcer960
03-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Doesn't everyone or most need to stop for fuel and stretch a bit? Our first road trip was only about 300 miles to our resort and rode another 300 out there. We stopped for fuel twice on the way out, just to stretch etc. We have a 2013 RTL with the stock seat and seemed to fit me well, the wife loves her part of the seat as well. I use her as a back rest on this trip, but have since purchased a seat with a back rest from a friend here.
I do like the idea of the gel pad how was it installed etc. Thanks guys

Dave
We try to make a stop every 1.5 hours at most. Not a long one, usually to top up gas, and have a stretch.

Motorcycledave
03-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well unless you just have the hots to get a new seat for your motorcycle or Spyder,
there is really no need to buy a new seat if you are trying to get a comfortable seat.
After being in the custom motorcycle seat business, doing many dealers and private
owners seats since 1967 I have found, unless you alter the frame on the bike you
most likely do not need to buy a new seat.
Your stock pan and the foam padding can be reshaped and customized to fit YOU for far
less than buying a seat. I see used seats every day for sale here and all over the internet
when folks remove the stock seat and install a new aftermarket seat
and unfortunately folks think their seat, even though it is new or like new is worth $200
or more. They are referred to as take off's, and if it is stock usually worth about $30 to $50.
Why would you want to take a bath and eat the loss. Some new aftermarket seats can go
$1000 or more then you have this nice near new seat sitting around in your garage collecting
dust. Why not just modify the seat you have to fit YOU. I will be happy to guide you along
with this at NO COST to you give me a call I will be happy to help.
Ride Safe
Dave

LeftCoast
03-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well unless you just have the hots to get a new seat for your motorcycle or Spyder,
there is really no need to buy a new seat if you are trying to get a comfortable seat.
After being in the custom motorcycle seat business, doing many dealers and private
owners seats since 1967 I have found, unless you alter the frame on the bike you
most likely do not need to buy a new seat.
Your stock pan and the foam padding can be reshaped and customized to fit YOU for far
less than buying a seat. I see used seats every day for sale here and all over the internet
when folks remove the stock seat and install a new aftermarket seat
and unfortunately folks think their seat, even though it is new or like new is worth $200
or more. They are referred to as take off's, and if it is stock usually worth about $30 to $50.
Why would you want to take a bath and eat the loss. Some new aftermarket seats can go
$1000 or more then you have this nice near new seat sitting around in your garage collecting
dust. Why not just modify the seat you have to fit YOU. I will be happy to guide you along
with this at NO COST to you give me a call I will be happy to help.
Ride Safe
Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for that info. I don't know if there is a differences between RTL, S and RT seats but for me the problem wasn't the cheeks, not that I was on it long enough to find out, it was mid inner thigh. Not sure if anything can be don about that or not. I'll know more after I get one and get a chance to ride for a bit.

ARtraveler
03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
I have replaced the OEM seats on all five :f_spider:'s owned. For me--they turn to uncomfortable mush after about 50 miles of riding.

My current RT's both have BRP comfort seats. They set the driver back a couple inches and have more substantial padding. Not bad for around $600. There are many other options out there.

harry1025
03-18-2018, 07:25 PM
my stock seat is fine bought a airhawk cushion and installed a backrest have no issues so far that said everyone is different so trial and error may be be the way

DGoebel
03-19-2018, 12:32 PM
I've ridden a little over 20k miles on stock seat with a Classic 14"x14" Bead Rider (https://www.beadrider.com/). Did my first IBA SS1k on July 5th through Iowa with a bead rider and was very comfortable, friend with his budget furry cover took his off as he had that mushy wet but kinda feeling by 500 or so miles. He now rides with a beadrider. We did make them quick release with some S hooks to attach to the seat.

Arion
03-19-2018, 01:55 PM
We just completed a 2100 mile trip from San Antonio, TX, to Tucson and Bisbee, AZ, aboard our pair of RTs and neither of us felt the saddles were fatally uncomfortable. Both or our RTs have driver's backrests and the equivalent of "highway pegs" and that, in our opinion, helps quite a lot. But then your backside may feel differently!

My bride's 2012 RT Limited has the BRP driver's backrest and Seal floorboards while my 2015 RT-S has a Big Bike Parts driver's backrest and Lamonster NBV highway pegs. We traveled at highway speeds and stopped every 120 miles or so (her comfortable fuel range limit) and after a few minutes of standing and stretching we were ready to go again.

It was a great trip by the way with perfect weather and lots of attractions to visit in both Tucson and Bisbee. Neither Spyder skipped a beat and we were able to pack more than enough for two weeks into both machines without the need for a trailer. At our age, we can't imagine better machines for long distance travel. Electronic cruise control, excellent stability in west Texas cross winds, and Sena communicators proved worth their weight in gold. Well, close anyway!

spyderyderjim
03-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Hey Dave,

Thanks for that info. I don't know if there is a differences between RTL, S and RT seats but for me the problem wasn't the cheeks, not that I was on it long enough to find out, it was mid inner thigh. Not sure if anything can be don about that or not. I'll know more after I get one and get a chance to ride for a bit.

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/instructions-for-motorcycle-daves-conformax-gel-foam-seat-kit/

Jim

pegasus1300
03-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Hey Dave,

there is no difference in the seats,they are all the same. I may have missed this from an earlier post but what is happening with the inner thigh? You may just need a sheepskin pad that will cover that area.

LeftCoast
03-19-2018, 07:13 PM
I need to go sit on it again as I don’t remember this with the 2008 I rode. I think where the seat and bike met the edge of the seat seemed to dig into my thigh due to the width of the bike if that makes sense.