PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Can Am Spyder Brake Question

locomotion40
03-07-2018, 05:15 PM
I bought my Spyder 5 speed manual used about 10 months ago. From day one the brake pedal always felt like it had too much travel. Local dealer said they needed to be bled. Had it done but did not notice much of a change so learned to live with it. Two weeks ago had oil changed and at checkout mechanic mentions that brakes felt spongy and needed to be bled. I told him they were done a few months ago (verified by their computer records) his reply was OH! OK!
Now I am wondering if this is normal? Is there a way to adjust the travel? Any input would be appreciated.
This is my first time using a forum so bear with me please.

quasi
03-07-2018, 06:24 PM
I'll prob get flamed for this, but it may be the master cylinder is leaking internally. bad o rings/seals?

Chupaca
03-07-2018, 06:33 PM
You mention they were that way from the time you got it. Not knowing the travel hard to say but if they bled the brakes with no change and the next tech says they need to be bled but agrees if it was done they must be ok...I'd find another shop and have it checked out. :dontknow: may need to be fully flushed .

locomotion40
03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
You mention they were that way from the time you got it. Not knowing the travel hard to say but if they bled the brakes with no change and the next tech says they need to be bled but agrees if it was done they must be ok...I'd find another shop and have it checked out. :dontknow: may need to be fully flushed .
I just measured break travel 2 1/2 inches at the front tip. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Bob Denman
03-08-2018, 10:58 AM
The first generation bikes always seemed to feel as if the brakes were a bit "spongy". :banghead:
Try giving them a quick second pump, and see if that makes them feel any better.
(There's no doubt: The Brembos were a much-needed update! :bowdown:)

Snowbelt Spyder
03-08-2018, 11:59 AM
I just measured break travel 2 1/2 inches at the front tip. Does anyone know if this is normal?

See what you made me do? It's cold out there.

Ok, so pushing down with one hand - hard - and holding the tape measure with the other, I have about 2 inches at the front tip. Under hard braking with my foot, it might go another 1/2 inch. I'm due for another flush this spring, but that's been about the usual from the time it came out of the crate.

Here's the thing. We have two electrical switches that are operated by brake pedal travel. The second switch - the Low Pressure Switch - will set a code and a brake failure message if your pedal travels too far without there being adequate system pressure. That's the switch that always bites everybody when they bleed their brakes with the key on. That's also why you don't want to mess around with the linkage trying to change pedal travel. It will throw off the calibration of that switch.

So, since you don't have any codes or brake failure, the good news is that you are operating within the safe boundaries of your system. And unless you have a floorboard or something that might restrict your full pedal travel, you're able to press as hard as you want. There are many ways to mess up a brake bleed and flush procedures and inadvertently leave an air bubble in the system. You could have it done again by a different dealer if you want to pursue it further. BajaRon sells EBC pads that work on our early generation brakes. I haven't tried them yet, but some might have information whether they improve things any.

finless
03-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Same with my 2011 even after having a dealer flush and bleed.
Back then the brakes were a common complaint with this exact thing. Spongy and a "pump" of the peddle hardens up the peddle a little. But trust I have had to stop HARD and they work.
The new models with Brembo's solved all this.

Bob

Dib52
03-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Same feel on ours(2011)from day one, learned to live with it. My driving habits have evolved over time and the quick second pump really hardens the pedal. If I ever upgrade I’ll probably throw the mrs. off the back.

Mikey
03-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Back then the brakes were a common complaint with this exact thing. Spongy and a "pump" of the peddle hardens up the peddle a little. But trust I have had to stop HARD and they work.

BobCan a person change the caliper over to a brembo, or do you run into a carrier,rotor problems if you do? It probably will not bolt up to our style carrier.

Bob Denman
03-08-2018, 01:11 PM
nojoke There's a whole lot more parts that need to be changed:
15" front wheels & tires
The Master Cylinders & reservoirs
Then you get into the calipers and their mounts

oldgoat
03-08-2018, 04:45 PM
My '08 GS has 1 3/4" of movement. Despite that being less than the OP's, it has always felt a bit "spongy" to me.

Have had to make 2 panic stops in the 6 yrs I have had it & the brakes work just fine & are reassuring.

I now just accept it as it is. Bleeding made no difference.

BajaRon
03-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of travel to me. Organic brake pads can add to the peddle soft feeling. The EBC simi-sintered pads help this as they are a harder and more aggressive material. But it sounds like you may need to look at the master cylinder. The lion's share of wear on the M/C is at the top of the peddle stroke. Sometimes the cup/cylinder can get worn or scored at the beginning of travel giving you a bit of a 'Dead Zone'.

Then as the piston travels further into the cylinder it starts to make pressure late in the stroke. Even 1/8" of stoke lost in the M/C can mean quite a bit of throw at the peddle. I assume all of the linkage has been inspected for slop.

locomotion40
03-12-2018, 10:05 AM
The first generation bikes always seemed to feel as if the brakes were a bit "spongy". :banghead:
Try giving them a quick second pump, and see if that makes them feel any better.
(There's no doubt: The Brembos were a much-needed update! :bowdown:)
THANK YOU THE SECOND PUMP HELPS THE FEEL FOR SURE

locomotion40
03-12-2018, 10:07 AM
My '08 GS has 1 3/4" of movement. Despite that being less than the OP's, it has always felt a bit "spongy" to me.

Have had to make 2 panic stops in the 6 yrs I have had it & the brakes work just fine & are reassuring.

I now just accept it as it is. Bleeding made no difference.
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED, I FEEL A LOT BETTER NOW KNOWING ITS PRETTY MUCH NORMAL

locomotion40
03-12-2018, 10:09 AM

Bob
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED, I FEEL A LOT BETTER NOW KNOWING ITS PRETTY MUCH NORMAL