PDA

View Full Version : shifting

Zip
03-07-2018, 02:39 PM
I have a 2010 RTSM5. It shifts 1 through 5 when ryding with no prob. goes into reverse no prob. If I am sitting still put it in gear and come off the clutch with my foot on the brake it stalls. Now the issue at hand with the bike running if I am sitting still and try to shift into neutral from 1st or 2nd or out of reverse it wont go unless I rev it up a little. If i shut it down it will pop right into "N". The dealer says I need a new clutch which makes no sense to me. What do you all think?

Thanks Jeff

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Intermittent stalling when putting the bike into gear is actually pretty normal.
Sometimes: the clutch plates stick together a little bit.
That'll sometimes stall the bike when you grab a gear...
It won't hurt anything; perhaps a change to a different brand of oil will help?:dontknow:

Chupaca
03-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Start with the oil, what kind are you using and when did you last change it. If the oil smells like a burnt cork or when you are ryding and give it gas and the engine rev's but you don't power up at the same rate your clutch is going. The other issue more common is the clutch master cylinder is low on fluid or just to dirty and has moisture. Quick check, pop the top and have a look. Top it off with DOT4 brake fluid....:thumbup:

SteveLaoyster
03-07-2018, 02:53 PM
It won't hurt anything; perhaps a change to a different brand of oil will help?:dontknow:

And that brings up the question of what brand and weight oil are you using? I'm assuming you are following the maintenance schedule.

Don'tPanic
03-07-2018, 02:54 PM
it sounds like your clutch doesn't fully disengage. When on flat surface with your clutch pulled in and in 1st gear release your brake. If your byke moves, then the clutch is slipping. A cable adjustment or topping off hydraulic fluid should do the trick

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
And that brings up the question of what brand and weight oil are you using? I'm assuming you are following the maintenance schedule.
I've always used BRP'S semi-synthetic blend...

...and both of my RTs would occasionally hang up! :opps:

Zip
03-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Intermittent stalling when putting the bike into gear is actually pretty normal.
Sometimes: the clutch plates stick together a little bit.
That'll sometimes stall the bike when you grab a gear...

The issue is it not wanting to go back into "N" without rev it a little while stopped. If it was a car I would thing syncro issue.

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 03:12 PM
A bent shift fork? :dontknow:

Is this an "every-time thing"; or only once in a while?

Zip
03-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Start with the oil, what kind are you using and when did you last change it. If the oil smells like a burnt cork or when you are ryding and give it gas and the engine rev's but you don't power up at the same rate your clutch is going. The other issue more common is the clutch master cylinder is low on fluid or just to dirty and has moisture. Quick check, pop the top and have a look. Top it off with DOT4 brake fluid....:thumbup:

Clutch MC is good. I have to look at the bottle when I get home but I know it is JASO MA2. When I give it gas it go's no issue.

Zip
03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Do you mean dropping from first; into neutral?

Or coming up from reverse; into neutral?

Both while standing still only. From 1st I can run all the other gears with no prob. Someone I work with said it may be the "N" detent.

Zip
03-07-2018, 03:19 PM
it sounds like your clutch doesn't fully disengage. When on flat surface with your clutch pulled in and in 1st gear release your brake. If your byke moves, then the clutch is slipping. A cable adjustment or topping off hydraulic fluid should do the trick

Nope sits still even it i give it gas. It is a hydraulic clutch no cable. fluid is full.

Lew L
03-07-2018, 04:17 PM
My last three bikes had hydraulic clutches and when first shifting into gear after a cold start they were noisy. I started to work the clutch lever 8 or 10 times before engaging the gear box. They eased in to gear much easier. Cheap fix.

Lew L