PDA

View Full Version : License plate mount

bjt
05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
While researching the legality of license plate mounts, I came across this little gem from a lawyer in Florida. http://www.prlog.org/10203697-vertical-license-plate-laws-on-motorcycles.html
I've spoken with Magic Man about this as I have removed my rear fender and I'm trying out different plate mounts and wanted his advice on the plate relocation and one of his lighted license plate frames. I just wonder what any of you Florida riders know about this (like how true it is) as I foresee traveling to Florida on my Spyder in the future.

The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located and mounted horizontally. The plate must be rigidly mounted and clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle.

According to that section, the stock Spyder license plate location is in violation of their new law. :gaah:

dryheat
05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
$1150 for a 1st violation, $2500 for 2nd?!?!?!? Looks like Florida doesn't want any more visitors (or residents) on 2 (or 3) wheels!:dontknow:

dave01
05-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Florida is real strict on tags because of the sportbikes tucking thiers way up under the seat by the rear shock. I have been nailed a few times for improper mounts and this was what I was told:
Tag must be located near the centerline of the vehicle, horizontally mounted, not bent in any way, properly lighted so it can be viewed from 50 feet away, no colored lights on the tag, white only and can not be easily removed by the rider while he/she is on the vehicle ( no magnetic mounts)

Hope this helps...Dave

bone crusher
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
If you have out of state tags, I'm not sure how aggressive they'll be with you either way...state laws are just that...if it's legal where you live, you should be fine...

If you are out of state and just visiting, it wouldn't make much sense to issue you a ticket...

ataDude
05-25-2009, 11:42 AM
...If you are out of state and just visiting, it wouldn't make much sense to issue you a ticket...

Sense = money.