PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

al0vely
03-06-2018, 07:10 AM
I recently purchased a 2014 RTS and it has a gizmo in the center of the handle bars. I plan to remove it if I can't find a good use for it.

Does anyone know what this is? The original owner is deceased and his wife doesn't know much about anything.

Tomline
03-06-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm fairly new to the Spyder World but I believe it is used to hold a GPS or another type of navigation device or even a cell phone. As I recall they're quite costly as is $100 or more.Once you find out what the brand namee is, it might be worth while to sell here on this site.

PW2013STL
03-06-2018, 08:06 AM
It is a mount for a GPS. This is where the factory mounts the GPS that comes with the limited.

KosherKid
03-06-2018, 08:06 AM
As stated, it is a mount for an accessory of your choosing. It is similar to a RAMmount. Before you remove it, you might need shorter bolts. I think that thing has spacers and the bolts might be too long without them.

Dave

al0vely
03-06-2018, 08:14 AM
OK thanks for the reply - after doing a google search I found the brand name of Techmount. I need to find some type of adapter for maybe a cell phone to make this thing useful. It seems like the Techmount accessories are expensive - and I prefer the Ram Mount stuff.

Anyone here using this type of mount for a phone? If so what type of phone mount do you use?

2dogs
03-06-2018, 08:52 AM
I have the TechGripper, and believe me whatever you put in it, you're not going to lose. I didn't care too much for it at first because it takes two hands to operate the thing. After I became used to it I'm glad I made the purchase. On amazon the techgripper is $35 but look around you may find one for less. You won't be sorry.

missouriboy
03-06-2018, 09:19 AM
I'd say keep it and mount your fishing pole there when you're trolling for Interstate Alligators. :clap:

Chupaca
03-06-2018, 10:37 AM
You can easily remove it if you don't use it and sell it here or elsewhere. You do need the shorter bolts when you do.. at least on most mounts on the bar mount...:thumbup:

sylvester
03-06-2018, 11:05 AM
go to wally world get a roll of 2 inch velcro clean surface with alcohol mount hard side to plate and use the other side on your phone or gps whatever you want to use. Cheap efficient and you can use the rest of the roll for a lot of fixes had a roll for 2 years and use it all the time

AeroPilot
03-06-2018, 11:12 AM
It looks like the Tech mount has a 1/4" standard thread in the center that you could put a RAM ball on and go RAM if you have a preference. Your choice, several options.:popcorn: