PDA

View Full Version : Are Car Tires Too Stiff?

bhfromme
03-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Hey sorry if this is redundant but I'm looking at a rear tire for my 08 GS.

Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H

The sizes are right but does anyone know how a tire rated for 1350 lbs will perform on a 700 lb Spyder? Dealer is saying car tires are too stiff for a Spyder and won't hold the road as well as a tire designed specifically for a Spyder. But it's only $83 on Amazon so it seems to be my first choice.

Second choice is the Vee Rubber VTR-350 Arachnid Tire from BikeBandit. These guys claim this tire is designed for Spyders but I've read here people liking Kumho. I'm leaning toward the Kumho. Any advice will be appreciated.

Lew L
03-02-2018, 11:05 PM
I have ( as do many,many others ) an automotive tire on my RT. Get the pressure right and a car tire in SOOOO much better than the POS that CanAm put on the :spyder2:.

Good luck and dont buy that Aricnid tire------ it is no better than the stock tire.

Lew L

Warlock
03-02-2018, 11:12 PM

The sizes are right but does anyone know how a tire rated for 1350 lbs will perform on a 700 lb Spyder? Dealer is saying car tires are too stiff for a Spyder and won't hold the road as well as a tire designed specifically for a Spyder. But it's only $83 on Amazon so it seems to be my first choice.

Second choice is the Vee Rubber VTR-350 Arachnid Tire from BikeBandit. These guys claim this tire is designed for Spyders but I've read here people liking Kumho. I'm leaning toward the Kumho. Any advice will be appreciated.

I have run several different car tires on Spyders. To date the best one to me is the Yokohama S drive 205/55/15. Just a tad narrower but at the same height. Several runs the General Ultimate 215/60/15 which is a good tire also. The tire you have in mind is also a very good tire and I think you would be well pleased with it.
David

canamjhb
03-02-2018, 11:22 PM
CanAm dealers/sales people are not tire experts. Neither am I. Having said that, adjust the tire pressure to correctly accommodate the load you are exposing it to and it is not too stiff.

JS3535
03-03-2018, 12:54 AM

Just installed the Kumho on the rear of my F3S & I toatlly regret it. Total loss of traction even at 15 psi & it does seem to ride a bit stiffer. I will be going back to the kenda on the rear as soon as I smoke this one off. I would rather have to change out the tire every year than have no traction and a crappier ride. I know everyone think they are smarter than the engineers that designed the bike or that BRP has a conspiracy theory on that size tire, but my belief now is that they choose that tire for a reason. With all that being said, I did just change my fronts to federal Formosa’s and I love those things...go figure

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2018, 01:07 AM
Just installed the Kumho on the rear of my F3S & I toatlly regret it. Total loss of traction even at 15 psi & it does seem to ride a bit stiffer. I will be going back to the kenda on the rear as soon as I smoke this one off. I would rather have to change out the tire every year than have no traction and a crappier ride. I know everyone think they are smarter than the engineers that designed the bike or that BRP has a conspiracy theory on that size tire, but my belief now is that they choose that tire for a reason. With all that being said, I did just change my fronts to federal Formosa’s and I love those things...go figure All car tires are not the same ..... but they are all better constructed than the Kenda or it's clone the Arachnid..... I wouldn't give up on the rear tire thing ....consider the General AltimaxRT43 or Michelin Defender " T & H " model or if you have the money the Michelin Premier....... my first rear car tire (in 09 )was the Kumho and I wasn't impressed with the traction either, but then the Altimax was twice the tire that the Kumho was...... good luck ..... Mike :thumbup:

SPYD3R
03-03-2018, 06:55 AM
i had 2 KUMHO's on the back of my RS, and 1 on my F3, and i never had any problems....
yes, the 'car' tires are a bit stiffer, but you'll also triple the mileage you get from them....
Dan P
SPYD3R

ThreeWheels
03-03-2018, 07:42 AM

The Kumho is an excellent tire for the rear. I have one on my Spyder RT. In fact, I had it moved from my 2010 Spyder and put on my 2014 Spyder.
It has about 22,000 miles on it. Still looks good.

Never be sorry about asking a question.
There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid answers.

Having said that, I see you've been a site member since 2011.
Redundant question about tires ?
That's like going on a Hershey's forum and asking if they know anything about chocolate;)......................

Bob Denman
03-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Because it's got stiffer sidewalls: you can run lower pressures.
They ride comfortably, last MUCH longer, and (I think) give better traction.

Dennis in Lodi
03-03-2018, 09:38 AM
God I love a good tire thread to pass time until my riding season starts up north here.

https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/

The second video in this dash shot sound clip was shot with the Pirelli P4 rear tire. Pay close attention to the hole shot as this tire delivers enough traction to float the front end through most of the 1st gear hole shot. You'll see the front tires are off the ground on an RT as the gauges float left and right.

With the stock Kenda there was zero grip and the tire would free spin with little forward movement. Kind of as sideways, barley moving the bike forward on an RT. The Kenda gave the Nanny fits because of the ratio of spin difference between the front and rear. Simply put, the attached video could not have been shot with a stock Kenda!

As for the never ending problem with getting a tire balanced, I found this to be the most cost effective solution. Absolutely precise balancing every time. Put in balancing beads just before you mount the tire. I have used these beads for years with zero issues.

https://www.ebay.com/i/292069946009?chn=ps

Dennis

billybovine
03-03-2018, 10:00 AM
I had a Kuhmo on my ST for about 10,000 miles until I could not stand it any more. The traction on cold grey pavement was bad, but wet pavement was often a butt clenching experience. Tried air pressure as low as 20 psi trying to get get some traction. But at that level it did not feel right setting into a curve. Next tire was a Yokohama S Drive. It was much better. I would consider it again.

Easy Rider
03-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Opinions are like.......well, you know.

I like the tread pattern on that tire.

If you put one on, please let us know if you can be counted in the "love" or "hate" camp. :dontknow:

For those of us who don't do much or any "spirited" riding and who stop when it rains much.......I don't think that a slight difference in traction would be much of a factor.

Bob Denman
03-03-2018, 10:16 AM
True... The differences in available traction only affect the aggressive top 10% of riders.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2018, 10:41 AM
True... The differences in available traction only affect the aggressive top 10% of riders.
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:..... However 100 % of Spyder riders must Stop :yikes:. It's like the trailer pulling thing .... pulling is not the issue Stopping is ........ Mike :thumbup:

asp125
03-03-2018, 11:19 AM
On a related note, what do you all think of putting sticky race rubber on? I see the Kumho Ecsta AST has a UTQG of 400 but there are some like the Toyo Proxes RA1 with a UTQG of 100 and even the Yoko Advan A048 with UTQG of 60! :shocked:

Would a 700lb Spyder and only 100Hp wear out those softer tires before 6000 miles? I think they'd stick like glue :)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=80118&width=225/&ratio=50&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2018, 11:39 AM
On a related note, what do you all think of putting sticky race rubber on? I see the Kumho Ecsta AST has a UTQG of 400 but there are some like the Toyo Proxes RA1 with a UTQG of 100 and even the Yoko Advan A048 with UTQG of 60! :shocked:

Would a 700lb Spyder and only 100Hp wear out those softer tires before 6000 miles? I think they'd stick like glue :)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=80118&width=225/&ratio=50&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17
Using tires that have little or NO traction on wet pavement is not something I would do. If you try them, up your Life insurance first :lecturef_smilie:............Mike :thumbup:

Road-Kill
03-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes they are too stiff and why you will never see any citations from anyone proving they are soft enough for a lighter weight vehicle.
Making matter worse......the Spyder only has 3 vs the 4 tires of a car making traction even worse.
Choose wisely and choose before you slide into that telephone pole.

bhfromme
03-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Well it's too cold to ride so we might as well talk about tires I guess. Of all the 15" car tires out there I see 225/60 and 215/60 but can't find any that are 225/50 15. So unless we change tire size we seem to be limited to the Kenda, Kumho or the Arachnid.

So I did some quick math and here are the size differences:

225 50 15
8.858" wide, 4.429" high
225 60 15
8.858" wide, 5.318" high
215 60 15
8.465" wide, 5.079" high

225/60 has the width I want but is almost an entire inch taller than the stock size. Then if we drop half an inch in width the 215/60 is still more than half an inch taller than the stock 225/50. Still with me?

I don't really want to sacrifice the width just to get a "car" tire so here's the million dollar question. Will the extra height of the 225/60 cause problems with the onboard computer?

Bob Denman
03-03-2018, 01:24 PM
The 215/60 tire actually corrects the speedometer error... nojoke

Mad Mac
03-03-2018, 02:22 PM
I run the Yokohoma S-drive 205/55/15 on our RT. I ride 90% of the time, 2-up and 30% of that, with a 350lb.(loaded) trailer at 24PSI. In my travels I have not experienced any loss of traction, even in my "Oh crap" moments the rear tire has held and never locked-up and put me into a skid situation. I have about 10,000 miles on that tire at the present time and have about 6/32's left from 10/32's from new. I guess if you're hard on the fun grip and rail hard out of corners, then you might experience some loss of traction, but I have not experienced any under "normal" riding and am really satisfied with the performance of a car tire on the rear of my Spyder. Good luck! Mac:doorag:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Yes they are too stiff and why you will never see any citations from anyone proving they are soft enough for a lighter weight vehicle.
Making matter worse......the Spyder only has 3 vs the 4 tires of a car making traction even worse.
Choose wisely and choose before you slide into that telephone pole.
Too funny :roflblack: ...... if you believe this then you might also think if you need an operation ask your Dentist to do it , after all He's a Doctor and will charge way less ........:clap::clap::clap:........ Sorry Road Kill, but I feel obligated to correct tire Hooey whenever I see it ........ :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:............Mike :bbq:

PistonBlown
03-03-2018, 03:38 PM
I get my tyres done by a local tyre guy that a number of the local Spyder riders go to.

When I first went there he asked me about my riding style, did I ride in the rain, how bothered I was about wear, what I didn't like about the way the Kenda performed etc. By the way, he had a very low opinion of the Kenda's fitted on rear of RS's.

After this chat he recommended a couple of tires but said one in particular matched my requirements (Toyo Proxie T1R). After having it a fitted I found he was right, they were perfect for me and stuck with them since.

Same thing happened when I replaced my fronts. According to him this is where the tire walls and weight rating is important because theres very little weight on the front of a Spyder in comparison to a car and you do need a bit of wall flex. Again I followed his advice (Kingstars) and have been very happy with them.

So my advice is chat with your tyre guy about what your after, your concerns etc. because they are the experts even if this is the first time they have done a Spyder.

Road-Kill
03-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Too funny :roflblack: ...... if you believe this then you might also think if you need an operation ask your Dentist to do it , after all He's a Doctor and will charge way less ........:clap::clap::clap:........ Sorry Road Kill, but I feel obligated to correct tire Hooey whenever I see it ........ :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:............Mike :bbq:

I cant even respond to this because it makes no sense. Do drugs much?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2018, 04:16 PM
I get my tyres done by a local tyre guy that a number of the local Spyder riders go to.

When I first went there he asked me about my riding style, did I ride in the rain, how bothered I was about wear, what I didn't like about the way the Kenda performed etc. By the way, he had a very low opinion of the Kenda's fitted on rear of RS's.

After this chat he recommended a couple of tires but said one in particular matched my requirements (Toyo Proxie T1R). After having it a fitted I found he was right, they were perfect for me and stuck with them since.

Same thing happened when I replaced my fronts. According to him this is where the tire walls and weight rating is important because theres very little weight on the front of a Spyder in comparison to a car and you do need a bit of wall flex. Again I followed his advice (Kingstars) and have been very happy with them.

So my advice is chat with your tyre guy about what your after, your concerns etc. because they are the experts even if this is the first time they have done a Spyder.
:agree::agree::agree::agree: .... and :agree: that the " T1r " is the stickiest tire I have ever used ( and have said so many times here ) ..... But as to the tyre Guy's expertise, just because He sells them, doesn't give Him Expert status ..... and His opinion after working with His FIRST Spyder is even more suspect........ Here's an Absolute Fact ..... tire flex has more to do with tire PSI ....than wall strength ........ and If you think this might be Hooey PM Peter Aawen .....Now, He REALLY is an Expert ....... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
03-03-2018, 05:28 PM
I cant even respond to this because it makes no sense. Do drugs much?

Gee Roadkill, you say that if someone puts these car tyres on, they will slide into a telegraph pole, and then you reckon BLUEKNIGHT is on drugs ??? :shocked::shocked:

Pete

Bob Denman
03-03-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm getting more than a bit concerned :shocked::

If you don't agree with what someone has said: why is there a need to insult them personally?
If you want an honest debate that is based upon facts, perceptions, and experience: that's fine! :thumbup:
But the snarkiness in here is just not cool... nojoke

Mad Mac
03-03-2018, 06:45 PM

If you don't agree with what someone has said: why is there a need to insult them personally?
If you want an honest debate that is based upon facts, perceptions, and experience: that's fine! :thumbup:

I think it's all a carry-over from the "OFF-TOPIC" thread. We all haven't calmed down enough yet. Maybe we need to shut the SL site down for a couple of days, so every one can take a step back and regroup and hopefully not "reload" for more arguing. Just say'n. Macnojoke

Bob Denman
03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
:shocked: Shut it down... :shocked:

:yikes: I can't breathe!!! :yikes:

RinconRyder
03-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Because it's got stiffer sidewalls: you can run lower pressures.

Yup. Just keep taking a pound out until you no longer need the Preparation H. :ohyea:

UtahPete
03-03-2018, 09:19 PM
What do you want the answer to be? We have enough differing opinions here to please anyone.

Bob Denman
03-04-2018, 09:02 AM
:agree: If you're not seeing the answer that you want: tell us!

We'll happily lie to you! :D

Road-Kill
03-04-2018, 09:14 AM
all I have ever asked is citations and all I have ever received is childish ridicule.
if you are going to argue a point then provide validation of your opinion.
you cant because your opinion is based on feelings and not science.
my opinion is based on researchable science (tire manufacturers) and my long lasting and approved Kenda tires.

ok children.................go back to beating me up.nojoke

jaherbst
03-04-2018, 09:30 AM
all I have ever asked is citations and all I have ever received is childish ridicule.
if you are going to argue a point then provide validation of your opinion.
you cant because your opinion is based on feelings and not science.
my opinion is based on researchable science (tire manufacturers) and my long lasting and approved Kenda tires.

ok children.................go back to beating me up.nojoke

Got to agree with "Roadkill" here. Two Spyders and always "Kenda". They have served me well.

Never saw so many grown men with so many different opinions about a very simple subject obsessively

disagreeing with never a conclusion.

​Jack

JIM W
03-04-2018, 09:32 AM

:agree:

Bob Denman
03-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Hi Jack... :D
If you like your Kendas: I'm happy that you're happy! :clap: :2thumbs:

Nobody has ever said that this was an "either-or" choice. folks can "dabble on the dark side", and see if they like it.
If not: have your dealer keep slapping the Kendas into place.

Either way: nobody gets hurt! :yes:

hillrad
03-04-2018, 10:34 AM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-4XS-215-60R15-94H-Tires/751866633

Have these all the way around and after several thousand miles, have no issues and/or complaints. They are far from "stiff" and seem very close to the attributes of a Kenda but should last 4 x's as long. For 2 up, 19 PSI fronts - 24 PSI rear. Bear in mind, 99% of all the overpriced tires are also alien.

NOTE: Filter out annoying know-it-all asshats with the websites handy dandy "ignore" feature (for your own sanity).

Easy Rider
03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Too funny :roflblack: ......

Yesterday you were preaching that most replacement "car tires" had too little traction to be safe on a Spyder.
Today, you seem to be saying exactly the opposite.
Make up your mind.

It might help if you stop trying to make your posts look "cute".

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Yesterday you were preaching that most replacement "car tires" had too little traction to be safe on a Spyder.
Today, you seem to be saying exactly the opposite.
Make up your mind.

It might help if you stop trying to make your posts look "cute". The problem with your above statement is ....it's taken totally out of context ...... I took the trouble to go back and look at everything I had posted ..... what I found was " asp125 " was thinking of putting street " LEGAL " - RACE DAY tires on His Spyder , for daily use ( not racing use ) ..... RACE DAY tires have almost NO TREADs and therefore have little if any traction if the road was even DAMP let alone WET ...............and I don't TRY to make my posts look " CUTE " ..... I do capitalize for emphasis and I like emoticons ...... If you don't like them contact Lamont and DEMAND they be removed...... annnnnnnnnnd have a great day ....... Mike :thumbup: .............PS it was " Road Kill " that made the statement " car tires " are too stiff to be used on a Spyder

Easy Rider
03-05-2018, 05:05 PM
.. I you don't like them contact Lamont and DEMAND they be removed......

Nope. I don't play games like that.

I favor rational, adult conversations.

But apparently some don't understand what that IS.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-05-2018, 06:37 PM
You obviously read my post ....because you took a piece and Quoted it in your post ...... But No apology .... but that wasn't a surprise ........ Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
03-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Why the hell does these tire threads always go south :dontknow:

Anyways- stiffer wall= more zipping thru traffic :shocked: Stiffer ride but makes the steering more responsive.

Well carry on.

jcthorne
03-05-2018, 07:21 PM
My biggest complaint with Kenda tires is the three small words moulded on the side of them...and the lack of quality control and construction that does with them.

I do not use tires that say

MADE IN CHINA

on them on any vehicle we own. For very good and oft proven reasons. Just watch the NHTSA recall site for great reasons why....

asp125
03-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Lots of anecdotal opinions on tires here. But does anyone have treadwear ratings (UTQG or other?) on Kenda and Arachnids that one can compare against car tires? It seems "motorcycle" tires are not required by DOT to list tread wear. Kind of makes it hard to compare apples to apples. Yeah I know, most Spyder riders are more concerned with ride quality and long life over stickiness and cornering grip; maybe I'm in the minority.

BTW, these are the kind of tires I'm used to.
https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sportmax-roadsmart-ii.png

canamjhb
03-05-2018, 09:55 PM
I'm trying to reasonably be objective about all this tire issue. The manufacturer cannot specify a particular tire brand according to law. Yet, the spyder comes with only one brand of tire. But replacements that meet or exceed the OEM specs are acceptable, by law. If we are to believe that BRP requires MOTORCYCLE tires then what other motorcycle tire brand is compatible with our wheel rims. One. Do our wheel specifications meet the standards established for motorcycle wheels? No. Do our wheels meet the required specifications for a car wheel? Yes. There are now a few 3 wheeled type vehicles that are common on the highway. The Spyder, Slingshot, and Honda trikes. Can you imagine all those thousands of vehicles running ONLY motorcycle tires on all wheels? Ridiculous. Believe what you want. Put motorcycle tires on your 3 wheeler. Can't imagine a pair of E3s on the front of a Spyder.....

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-05-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm trying to reasonably be objective about all this tire issue. The manufacturer cannot specify a particular tire brand according to law. Yet, the spyder comes with only one brand of tire. But replacements that meet or exceed the OEM specs are acceptable, by law. If we are to believe that BRP requires MOTORCYCLE tires then what other motorcycle tire brand is compatible with our wheel rims. One. Do our wheel specifications meet the standards established for motorcycle wheels? No. Do our wheels meet the required specifications for a car wheel? Yes. There are now a few 3 wheeled type vehicles that are common on the highway. The Spyder, Slingshot, and Honda trikes. Can you imagine all those thousands of vehicles running ONLY motorcycle tires on all wheels? Ridiculous. Believe what you want. Put motorcycle tires on your 3 wheeler. Can't imagine a pair of E3s on the front of a Spyder..... You have me very confused ...... Above you state " Put motorcycle tires on your 3 wheeler " .... But in your list of Mods you have on YOUR Spyder .... You have car/auto tires on YOUR Spyder ......not Motorcycle tires ...........Please help me out on this ........ Mike :thumbup:

missouriboy
03-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Put motorcycle tires on your 3 wheeler.That sentence confused me too, given the context of the rest of the post. If it had been punctuated with a question mark, it would agree with that context. :dontknow:

I was gonna click "Like" until that sentence threw me, because I agree with "Car tires on car wheels."

jcthorne
03-06-2018, 09:43 AM
There are now a few 3 wheeled type vehicles that are common on the highway. The Spyder, Slingshot, and Honda trikes.

Honda does not make or sell a Trike in the US.

The rest of your post I mostly agree with.

Easy Rider
03-06-2018, 02:40 PM
You obviously read my post ....because you took a piece and Quoted it in your post ...... But No apology .... but that wasn't a surprise ........ Mike :thumbup:

Apology......for what ??

How about this: You are a total ass.

Bob Denman
03-06-2018, 02:50 PM
nojoke Uncalled for... :lecturef_smilie:

trikermutha
03-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Well that was really not cool at ALL :lecturef_smilie:.

Easy Rider
03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Well that was really not cool at ALL :lecturef_smilie:.

Neither is his constant and unrelenting slinging of insults at anybody and everybody who doesn't agree with him 100%.

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 09:41 AM
So that makes your insults okay? :dontknow:

mavrik
03-07-2018, 09:57 AM
guys and gals...I always look for information on tires and such, like everyone else, because these questioned upgrades for some come up yearly and others every couple years. Now I appreciate people giving their opinions on tires they have tried but why does it always have to go to insults or a tit-for-tat situation? You all have great information and knowledge that you can help others with but egos or i'm right and your wrong attitudes come into play. May I suggest just ignoring negative comments or simply saying I disagree and why, then just leave it at that. Instead we go off topic to make it a pissing match. If someone wants to constantly be negative just ignore, everyone does see this and if ignored usually it won't continue... as being a parent good or bad attention is still attention, so we try to curb or refocus it.

jaherbst
03-07-2018, 10:07 AM
I want you boys and girls to go to your room and don't come out till you have the right answer to tires.

There is a handful on here that argue their point to the end regardless if they are right or wrong. Some

are approaching this from a mileage platform, some from a handling platform and some from a Safety

platform.

Me, I use what the factory recommends and have been quite happy. They are readily available at most

franchised dealerships and in my opinion they are the most safe but not the highest mileage. Most on here

are here just to argue there stubborn point of view and are relentless in their views. To the newer folks

here, you are being baited into a useless argument that has a moving target depending on different

viewpoints and strong and stubborn opinions. We all know who they are.

Make up your own mind about tires. To ask this old worn out question about tires on here always leads

down the same Rabbit Hole with the same worn out strong opinions.

Uncle Jack

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 10:09 AM
:shocked: Do I dare mention that some of the decent alternatives are not much more than half the price of the OEMs?

:yikes: Uh-oh...

mavrik
03-07-2018, 11:31 AM
damn Uncle Jack those are some big letters!

Oh damn Bob, little more gas on the fire....lets all just have fun and be helpful

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 11:38 AM
:D I was just giving Jack a little nudge: he's good at them! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Neither is his constant and unrelenting slinging of insults at anybody and everybody who doesn't agree with him 100%. Really - then please provide examples to verify your claim........ otherwise please stop ......Thank you .... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
:shocked: Mike... give him a breather.

Thanks! :thumbup: