PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

davehirst
03-02-2018, 04:07 PM
I have had Rider insurance for several years now, and the premiums continue to rise. Got an internet quote from Markel, for 100.00 less per year with better coverage. Anyone have any history with Markel?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2018, 04:27 PM
I have had Rider insurance for several years now, and the premiums continue to rise. Got an internet quote from Markel, for 100.00 less per year with better coverage. Anyone have any history with Markel?..... Not Markel , but I have a very low rate with Dairyland for very good complete coverage ..... less than $ 200.00 for a 12 month policy...... Insurance varies so much you would need a personal quote ..... but that will free and only a phone call away ....... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:...........PS I did have an excellent rate with FourMost for the first year, but it went up quite a bit, so I went with Dairyland and have stayed there for the last 3 yrs :yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
03-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Independent Agent here with 40 years in the trenches...
Buying Direct will get you a lower rate.
What do you give up?
Having an Agent that'll fight for you if issues pop up with:
Claims
Proper Coverage
Proper Underwriting and rating of the risk
Payment issues.

Buy cheap if you want: just know what you're NOT getting, for that smaller payment.

Markel? I know them... they only have Salespeople sitting at phone banks! :roflblack:

Mad Mac
03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
We had a local agent here in Wisc. and we were paying almost $650.00 a year for basic coverage and that's with no tickets or accidents, clean driving record for over 30 years. Checked with AARP, and found Foremost for $280.00 a year with same coverage, plus trip interruption & towing. So we have been with them since we have had our Spyder. Mac:doorag:

hypurone
03-02-2018, 07:09 PM
I have had Rider insurance for several years now, and the premiums continue to rise. Got an internet quote from Markel, for 100.00 less per year with better coverage. Anyone have any history with Markel?

I started out with Markel but had to bail after a few months as they raised the rate on me for no reason, stating "the original quote was incorrect"!! WTF! Try Geico believe it or not, I end up paying 300.00+ a year less with them!

davehirst
03-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys I couldn't find any good reviews on them on the Internet and you guys are confirming what I read thanks again

pegasus1300
03-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Look under BikeLine,that is another name for Merkel which is the correct spelling. I had them for years on my 2 wheelers and they were a very reasonable cost.

PCBeachBum
03-02-2018, 09:11 PM
I had State Farm and it was $120.00 for 6 months and than went up for no reason. I left them and went to Geico and pay $171.00 a year. I hate those 6 month policies and will stay with Geico as long as they don't raise my rates on the Spyder

JerryB
03-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Hi PCBeachBum,

Re: I hate those 6 month policies

Here in Oregon, where it rains about 6 months a year, I know of no company that offers anything other than a 12-month policy. :wrong:

I would jump on a 6-month policy if I could.

I'm with USAA who then subs it out to Progessive; ~$310 / yr.

Jerry Baumchen

youngers
03-03-2018, 05:52 AM
We had a local agent here in Wisc. and we were paying almost $650.00 a year for basic coverage and that's with no tickets or accidents, clean driving record for over 30 years. Checked with AARP, and " ", plus trip interruption & towing. So we have been with them since we have had our Spyder. Mac:doorag:

found Foremost for $280.00 a year with same coverage < -------- when I purchased the 2015 indian chieftain , went to the insurance procedure , the coverage for a spyder r-t , indian chief , was enough too make my head spin , ( but a little of the head spin might have been from the realization , that I just purchased an Indian chieftain :yikes: .... but called around and also found foremost insurance , cut the bill in half , plus added a 3 rd smaller cycle for only 5 dollars more ! )

Little Blue
03-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Insurance always seems to have a VERY large part in the ART of Motorcycle Riding. AS most of us SPYDER ryders know, ITS all in the way we Pay to Play. :thumbup:

Bensonoid
03-03-2018, 09:19 AM
We had a local agent here in Wisc. and we were paying almost $650.00 a year for basic coverage and that's with no tickets or accidents, clean driving record for over 30 years. Checked with AARP, and found Foremost for $280.00 a year with same coverage, plus trip interruption & towing. So we have been with them since we have had our Spyder. Mac:doorag:

found Foremost for $280.00 a year with same coverage < -------- when I purchased the 2015 indian chieftain , went to the insurance procedure , the coverage for a spyder r-t , indian chief , was enough too make my head spin , ( but a little of the head spin might have been from the realization , that I just purchased an Indian chieftain :yikes: .... but called around and also found foremost insurance , cut the bill in half , plus added a 3 rd smaller cycle for only 5 dollars more ! )

I just opened, and filed a mailing from Foremost in the trash. I'm going to dig it out and investigate it now... Thanks.

Tango
03-03-2018, 11:49 AM
All states are very different when it come to quotes. Here in PA., Dairyland got crazy expensive. Progressive was worse. Had Foremost for a few years. Butt, only after shopping with an agent for them, vs. AARP. The agent was MUCH cheaper than AARP!!! Shop around. Agents with multiple lines are the best. They will fight FOR you if any problems arise. :thumbup: Tom

Road-Kill
03-03-2018, 12:09 PM
I have Geico for my house, car and bike.
I pay $700.00 yearly but I keep top shelf liabilities on everything......so I pay more.
You have to ask yourself an honest question.....what do you have to lose?
If you have much to lose then insure up..... if not then go with an unknown unreliable cheap yet 'legal" insurer:doorag:

Mad Mac
03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
I just opened, and filed a mailing from Foremost in the trash. I'm going to dig it out and investigate it now... Thanks.
The agent I dealt with seemed OK, but of course, he was selling something. I have not had to use them yet and I really hope I don't have to, because that would mean something bad has happened (knock on wood now!). But I did get twice as much Ins. for half the price. Time will tell. Good luck! Mac:doorag: P.S. You do know that Ins. all started with the "mafia" didn't you??:roflblack::roflblack:

slick999
03-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Hi Neighbor,I just went with Progressive last year 256.00 a year full coverage.Had been with Dairyland for several years but for some reason they raised rates last year.

mcan1x
03-03-2018, 03:25 PM
$ 229 a year here with AmFam, includes roadside.

Tango
03-04-2018, 03:02 PM
If anyone has ERIE Insurance check with them. I have, house, car, bike, and trailer with them. Lots of additional discounts. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Deanna777
03-04-2018, 04:41 PM
I have Geico, been with them for 6 years now, I also have top shelf Limits/Liabilities + Towing/Labor costs. From April to Oct. I have full coverage.

My twelve month premium is $500.00, and from Oct. to April my premium is reduced ( for Winter Storage up here in the North East).

I have not made a claim, and I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 with 22,000 miles.

Deanna

Little Blue
03-05-2018, 11:08 AM
YOU get what you PAY.:coffee: I have 'AM FAM' the Basic was about $295 for 12 months. Top Tier was $495 for 12 months. I went with the TOP. :thumbup:

davehirst
03-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Hi Neighbor,I just went with Progressive last year 256.00 a year full coverage.Had been with Dairyland for several years but for some reason they raised rates last year.
That's a great rate! I'll have to check them out. You are in Chester county too, and that's usually higher than Lancaster county.

Bob Denman
03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
YOU get what you PAY.:coffee: I have 'AM FAM' the Basic was about $295 for 12 months. Top Tier was $495 for 12 months. I went with the TOP. :thumbup:

We represent The American Modern Group here
They do a great job of servicing claims.

But I bundled my Spyder with my Homeowners, Auto, Umbrella, and Motorhome package. It's with Safeco.

davehirst
03-05-2018, 03:27 PM

But I bundled my Spyder with my Homeowners, Auto, Umbrella, and Motorhome package. It's with Safeco.
I had American Modern before Rider and they were more expensive, that's why I switched.

irvin48
03-06-2018, 09:31 AM
my 15 rt and a victory cross roads are 295 a year through markel.
they base your rates partially on credit rating. most do. they have
some good benefits too. only my opinion. check their rating.

stevencovert
03-06-2018, 09:44 AM
2016 RTS Full coverage w/tow: $520
2008 GS Full Coverage w/tow: $290 (would be $210 year for basic).

I love the GEICO app - I went to look at the 2008, liked it, and used the app to add it and had insurance on the spot!

Steve

teninospyder
03-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Live in Washington State, around Olympia.
I have State Farm for everything I currently own including 2 Jeep cars, 1 Ram diesel truck, 81 Corvette, ATV, and 2014 Spyder.....and of course house and interior items including...........(other) things.

Spyder is $362 a year for same full coverages as the cars and truck. I have looked elsewhere but can't really find anyone (that makes me comfortable) cheaper. My wife and I both have clean slates for driving and accidents until this happened.

Short story on Dairyland.......... a few months ago I had an unfortunate collision with one of their customers that ran a stop sign on a country road. My 2012 Jeep liberty received right front damage, along with the usual necessary repairs to bumpers, grills, lights, passenger door, hood, etc. My wife was actually forced to crawl over the center console to get out on my side, because the front fender had been pushed back enough that her door wouldn't open. Everyone was shook up but not physically hurt. The young driver of the other car ADMITTED TO RUNNING THE STOP SIGN AND CAUSING THE ACCIDENT. Due to location, the highway patrol came out and took the statements from both him and us. AGAIN, TO THE OFFICER, THE GUY ADMITTED FAULT. My deductible is $500. State farm paid approx. $4500 additional for repairs and said they would go after their money and our $500....which they did.

NOW COMES MY DAIRYLAND STORY. EVEN THOUGH THEIR DRIVER ADMITTED TO EVRYONE......INCLUDING IN ALL REPORTS AND THEIR FILINGS.....THAT HE WAS AT FAULT....AND DAIRYLAND ADMITTED IT TO STATE FARM ALSO.......STATE FARM HAD TO TAKE THEM TO ARBITRATION TO GET THEM TO PAY UP !!! It recently went to arbitration and finally after almost 6 months we got our $500 back. Just passing along..............................

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Live in Washington State, around Olympia.
I have State Farm for everything I currently own including 2 Jeep cars, 1 Ram diesel truck, 81 Corvette, ATV, and 2014 Spyder.....and of course house and interior items including...........(other) things.

Spyder is $362 a year for same full coverages as the cars and truck. I have looked elsewhere but can't really find anyone (that makes me comfortable) cheaper. My wife and I both have clean slates for driving and accidents until this happened.

Short story on Dairyland.......... a few months ago I had an unfortunate collision with one of their customers that ran a stop sign on a country road. My 2012 Jeep liberty received right front damage, along with the usual necessary repairs to bumpers, grills, lights, passenger door, hood, etc. My wife was actually forced to crawl over the center console to get out on my side, because the front fender had been pushed back enough that her door wouldn't open. Everyone was shook up but not physically hurt. The young driver of the other car ADMITTED TO RUNNING THE STOP SIGN AND CAUSING THE ACCIDENT. Due to location, the highway patrol came out and took the statements from both him and us. AGAIN, TO THE OFFICER, THE GUY ADMITTED FAULT. My deductible is $500. State farm paid approx. $4500 additional for repairs and said they would go after their money and our $500....which they did.

NOW COMES MY DAIRYLAND STORY. EVEN THOUGH THEIR DRIVER ADMITTED TO EVRYONE......INCLUDING IN ALL REPORTS AND THEIR FILINGS.....THAT HE WAS AT FAULT....AND DAIRYLAND ADMITTED IT TO STATE FARM ALSO.......STATE FARM HAD TO TAKE THEM TO ARBITRATION TO GET THEM TO PAY UP !!! It recently went to arbitration and finally after almost 6 months we got our $500 back. Just passing along..............................

Insurance games

teninospyder
03-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Insurance games

When I inquired about "Why arbitration was required (when the Dairyland guy had admitted and Dairyland agreed he was at fault?)" My State Farm claims Rep. told me that "to delay things, Dairyland ALWAYS goes to arbitration whether they should or not !!" Guess it points up a judicial problem as well.....why is it accepted into the arbitration system at all ??

C. Lee
03-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Dairyland for me too. Chris

Bensonoid
03-10-2018, 12:11 PM
I just got an estimate from Foremost and Progressive. Both are more than Geico which I currently have.

ofdave
03-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Nothing special about the arbitration.
It's actually pretty common between the insurance companies when yours pays out and the other insures the at fault driver.

CrashDavis
03-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Look under BikeLine,that is another name for Merkel which is the correct spelling.

The company my bike insurance is with spells their name: Markel. I haven't had to make any claims, but the premium and coverage is right.

While everyone else is telling their insurance story, I'll tell mine. When I first got my bike, I would have gone with USAA just because if they had it, they don't. I shopped around and Allstate had the best deal. At renewal time when they sent me a bill, I called them up and asked what the total would be if I paid up front instead of monthly. The price given was less than the total for monthly, I paid it and was happy. That was until about 9 months later when a bill showed up for another $13. I asked what it was for and was told this was the fee since they were no longer charging my checking directly. I said I paid what I was quoted and why wasn't I given this charge initially. The answer was tough, I owed them the money. I considered it theft not worth fighting over, but worth dropping them for. GEICO was the best deal I found, now even better than what I was getting from Allstate. The next year I looked around again and was pointed to Markel by a coworker. They had the best deal then and they have vanishing deductible, making it ever better.

My State Farm story isn't about bike insurance but it explains why, like Allstate, if I ever consider either company for coverage is because I have no other option. I got into a fender bender where it was determined we were both at fault. We swapped info and talked to out companies. My company told me that means each side pays for their own damage, unless, like me I had none so I had to pay half of the other person's. I expected the two companies (USAA for me and State Farm for her) to handle it. The next thing I know is I get a bill from a collection agency working for SF for my share of the bill. SF didn't send anything to me or USAA, just went directly to the collection agency. When asked why they said they didn't know how to contact me. I asked how the agency knew where to send the bill if they didn't have my contact info. No answer. I bought this to USAA who was surprised this happened and said they would handle it. I then got a copy of a letter the collection agency sent to the state telling them they should rescind my license since I didn't have insurance. I wrote back to them threatening to sue if Florida does as I do have insurance and they would have known it if they had any brains. Anyway, USAA must have settled the problem and FL must not have thought much of their claim as I still have my license.

As I said, if I ever have ANY kind of insurance from Allstate or State Farm it will be because I have NO option.

DaveInMn
03-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Have 2 Spyders ('15 F3-S & '17 F3-LTD) and 1 MC ('12 Raider (1900cc)) with Foremost in NC Minn.

Full coverage: 250/500k liability, $1k ded. on coll./$500 ded. on comp. + roadside.

I just got the annual renewal and it went from $653 down to $525.:thumbup:

I have been with Foremost for over 12 years.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-12-2018, 03:26 PM
The company my bike insurance is with spells their name: Markel. I haven't had to make any claims, but the premium and coverage is right.

While everyone else is telling their insurance story, I'll tell mine. When I first got my bike, I would have gone with USAA just because if they had it, they don't. I shopped around and Allstate had the best deal. At renewal time when they sent me a bill, I called them up and asked what the total would be if I paid up front instead of monthly. The price given was less than the total for monthly, I paid it and was happy. That was until about 9 months later when a bill showed up for another $13. I asked what it was for and was told this was the fee since they were no longer charging my checking directly. I said I paid what I was quoted and why wasn't I given this charge initially. The answer was tough, I owed them the money. I considered it theft not worth fighting over, but worth dropping them for. GEICO was the best deal I found, now even better than what I was getting from Allstate. The next year I looked around again and was pointed to Markel by a coworker. They had the best deal then and they have vanishing deductible, making it ever better.

My State Farm story isn't about bike insurance but it explains why, like Allstate, if I ever consider either company for coverage is because I have no other option. I got into a fender bender where it was determined we were both at fault. We swapped info and talked to out companies. My company told me that means each side pays for their own damage, unless, like me I had none so I had to pay half of the other person's. I expected the two companies (USAA for me and State Farm for her) to handle it. The next thing I know is I get a bill from a collection agency working for SF for my share of the bill. SF didn't send anything to me or USAA, just went directly to the collection agency. When asked why they said they didn't know how to contact me. I asked how the agency knew where to send the bill if they didn't have my contact info. No answer. I bought this to USAA who was surprised this happened and said they would handle it. I then got a copy of a letter the collection agency sent to the state telling them they should rescind my license since I didn't have insurance. I wrote back to them threatening to sue if Florida does as I do have insurance and they would have known it if they had any brains. Anyway, USAA must have settled the problem and FL must not have thought much of their claim as I still have my license.

As I said, if I ever have ANY kind of insurance from Allstate or State Farm it will be because I have NO option. I feel your Pain ..... but the Key word in all this is what you said ....." BRAINS " .... there is such a lack of them with most " millenniums " today it's Scary :gaah::gaah::gaah:......... Mike :thumbup:

GearHd
03-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I have Progressive for the Spyder and 3 other motorcycles and my premium goes down quite a bit every year. I do get a good discount if I pay in full, which I do.

Madison Sully
03-12-2018, 07:01 PM
:shocked:

Either I live in the most boring place EVER, or have one amazing good driving record. (That's not it). :opps:

My insurance premium for each of my 2 and 3 wheeled rides is $90 per year.
I ride ~10,000 miles per year, and drive another ~25,000 or so.

My wife just insured our new-to-us Can Am and it was, yup, $90 per year.

Oh wait, maybe it's the TWO OF US that are boring? :dontknow:

GearHd
03-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Or your limits are extremely low?

OJ UK
03-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Bob, do you need motorhome cover for the times when your good lady discovers just how much you've spent on the latest
Spyder farkle and that's where you have to sleep 'til the heat dies down? Just curious....

Little Blue
03-14-2018, 10:34 AM
'Top Tier' for me included 'FULL VALUE' replacement. :lecturef_smilie: IF my 2016 RTL was Totaled I receive a NEW 2018 RTL plus any accessories. :bbq:You GET what you Pay FOR. :spyder:

Madison Sully
03-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Or your limits are extremely low?

No, the limits are appropriate.
Might have something to do with having 5 motorcycles / scooters and 2 cars with the same company that has our homeowners, too.
But in total the package is remarkably low compared to others I'm hearing about.

:ohyea:

Bob Denman
03-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Arbitration... or subrogation?
Subrogation is a process whereby you have your insurance company pay for a collision claim, and they attempt to recoup the money from the other party's company.
You'll be paid minus your deductible. You will get that back, when your company collects the funds from the other company.
(If they don't collect in full: you'll be paid based upon the percentage of fault assigned to the involved parties.)

Arbitration comes into play, when the two companies simply cannot reach an agreement. A neutral third party is brought in to make the decision.

Both processes take time.. because lawyers bill by the hour! :banghead:

canamjhb
04-05-2018, 04:55 PM
I have had Geico insurance for years. Two automobiles, motorhome, and two bikes, a Goldwing and Spyder. The bike insurance is due May 1st. And, of course, I get a number of solicitations from other companies......all wanting to be my best friend. Geico wants $238 for the 2002 Wing and another $770 for the 2014 RTL. This is minimal coverage and the last blemish on our driving record was a speeding ticket I got in 1969. I checked with Progressive and they quote $172.50 for the Wing and $253.50 for the Spyder. That is $582 less per year and includes much higher levels of coverage. Keeping the same minimal coverage my cost would only be $312.00 but I opted for higher coverage amounts..... Bye, Bye, Geico. Hello Flo

LeftCoast
04-05-2018, 09:43 PM

I have car and homeowners with no claims with Safeco and my estimate was $1600 for a used 2014 RTS. $800 from Progressive. Calif may be the most expensive place to insure a bike.

May also be an issue compared to the rest of you that I can only claim 3 years riding experience.

Fire34
04-06-2018, 04:02 AM
We have Allstate for our homeowners, had a tornado 3 years ago now no complaints with them on this , our home was habitable so we were lower on the list. Automobile not so much. Currently we have Geico for the cars and Spyder
People that had State Farm for their homeowners had nothing but problems
Dave

QUOTE=CrashDavis;1342811]The company my bike insurance is with spells their name: Markel. I haven't had to make any claims, but the premium and coverage is right.

As I said, if I ever have ANY kind of insurance from Allstate or State Farm it will be because I have NO option.[/QUOTE]

PeteF
04-09-2018, 06:25 PM
We had Markel for about five years. I had the opportunity once to assist their fraud department with an investigation before I retired. They’re a good company and specialize in power sports insurance. That being said, they began raising my rates like all companies seem to do. I eventually shopped and got a much better rate through Dairyland. $430 a year full coverage for a 2015 F3 and a 2016 Road Glide.

bcer960
04-09-2018, 09:29 PM
well, I'm hoping to get my bike on the road next weekend. I'll report what my insurance price is, but I guarantee.......

IT'S 3 - 4 TIMES WHAT YOU GUYS ARE PAYING.

PeteF
04-10-2018, 11:37 AM
well, I'm hoping to get my bike on the road next weekend. I'll report what my insurance price is, but I guarantee.......

IT'S 3 - 4 TIMES WHAT YOU GUYS ARE PAYING.

I've read where rates in Canada are crazy high. Why is this? You guys can only ride six months out of a year.

bcer960
04-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Each province is different. Here in B.C. the insurance company is government owned. ICBC, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. We have no other choice, and must get the basic insurance through them. Collision, comprehensive, fire and theft etc can be bought from other companies. I have storage, collision etc through a company called Beacon. I pay this for year round coverage. As I have not got the bike out of the shed yet, I have not looked at the papers to see what I pay, but I will post that, and what the 6 month insurance costs for the ICBC portion.

I plan on insuring on Sat.

ofdave
04-10-2018, 01:09 PM
'Top Tier' for me included 'FULL VALUE' replacement. :lecturef_smilie: IF my 2016 RTL was Totaled I receive a NEW 2018 RTL plus any accessories. :bbq:You GET what you Pay FOR. :spyder:

I don't think you are reading the policy correctly.
I think the replacement value you'll get is most likely to be for an equivalent bike-not a 2 year newer model.
If what you say is correct please quote the policy language here so we can all get the same policy that you have. And let us know the name of the insurance company-they will get a lot of business.

dondje
04-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Little Blue...

Usually full replacement value means that insurance will replace your vehicle with another of equal value - less deductible. Most insurance companies will try to use the lowest book value they can get away with. As for aftermarket accessories, those are usually separate from the equal/book value and have to be declared and covered under a policy rider. Hope you don't have to get into an accident to find out your coverage isn't what you think it is.

Regards,

Don

bcer960
04-15-2018, 01:23 PM
So yesterday I finally was able to put the bike on the road. Weather here has been horrible, and even the 150km ride yesterday was pretty cold.

anyway, Insurance costs. I have the max discount available, -43%. As i said earlier I get insurance through 2 different companies. ICBC is required as liability insurance, and the minimum insurance to be on the road for every vehicle. (On top of that, we have to insure every vehicle we drive, not the driver of the vehicle as is the case in some places) I then have fire, theft, collision and storage insurance through Beacon. I get the beacon insurance for 12 months, and the ICBC for 6 months.

Ready for the price......

ICBC $793
Beacon $898
-----------------
Total $1691 for 6 months riding, and 12 months of storage.

YOU GUYS GOT IT CHEAP :gaah:

bushrat
04-15-2018, 05:12 PM
YOU GUYS GOT IT CHEAP :gaah:

I have to agree with bcer960; here's why ... at least from an Ontario owner's perspective ...

77 year old accident free driver, multi vehicle discount, retiree discount, claims free discount, mature driver discount; license holder for 62 years. Total premium: $2,082 CDN funds for 12 months.

Vehicles covered: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, list value new $55K, driven 20,000 km/yr.
Covered for $2 million public liability/property damage; accident benefits (standard coverage) and $500 deductible collision, $500 deductible comprehensive.
Annual premium: $768 CDN.

2017 F3L Spyder, list before taxes $35K, driven approx. 8,000 km/yr. Covered for $2 million liability and property damage; accident benefits (standard coverage) and $500 deductible for each of collision and comprehensive.
Annual premium: $1,314 CDN.

For $US values, just figure 3/4 or 75%.

These vehicles are used alternately of one another, never on the road at the same time; however, the third party insurance (liability) charges are assessed independently according to what underwriters believe their vehicular capacity for causing damage might be. Third party liability insurance costs are higher for Jeep (about 1/3 more), as it could probably do greater damage to others than the Spyder. On the other hand, my accident benefits cost about 7 times as much for the Spyder portion of my policy as for the Jeep, presumably because they feel I could suffer much greater injury while on the bike.

AND, get this, although the $500 deductibles are the same for both vehicles, and the list cost of the Jeep is nearly TWICE that of the Spyder, it costs TWICE AS MUCH to buy the collision and comprehensive coverage for the Spyder. Explain that one to me, if you can.

Such is the working of the mind (logic ???) of an insurance underwriter/actuary.

This is the best/cheapest policy I could come up with that provided the coverage I wanted. I could scrimp and save a bit (not much) if I raised the deductible to $1,000. Not really worth doing so, in my judgment. I shopped around; I knew what I was looking for. Many years ago, I was a licensed salesman of casualty insurance. I grew up in a family-owned independent insurance agent/broker business first started 108 years ago by my grandfather (since sold). My policy today is through a direct writer, but just to double-check, I asked my niece (still employed in the former family firm) to look it over. Try as she might, she couldn't come within $700 of what I'm paying (and she tried all the angles, believe me; Bob D. will understand what I mean).

I'm just glad that my retirement/pension savings allow me the opportunity of owning a Spyder and being able to license and insure it so as to go out on the road. BUT, it ain't getting any easier, at least not on the north side of the 49th parallel.