PDA

View Full Version : Best Guesstimate???

Utah Geezer
02-28-2018, 10:58 PM
I have a friend that has been riding a Harley the last few years and has decided to get a three wheeler. He has test driven both a spyder and a Harley Trike and I think I have him talked into the Spyder. He found one at our local dealer in St. George on consignment and asked me for my opinion on the price. I have no idea what it is worth as I have no intention of selling mine so I haven't looked into what my is worth. Mine is a 2014 RTL but the one he is looking at is a 2015 RTL with 10,000 miles on it. Anybody have any suggestions on what it is worth. The consignment price is at $19,500. Is this good or bad? The dealer told my friend that the current owner has three of them but wants to get a newer model for himself so he might be eager to sell.

Thanks for any help you can give. He does a lot of cross country riding so I know he would be happier on the Spyder, no comparison in my opinion.

PaladinLV
03-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Anywhere fro 15.25K to 20K
19.5 is not bad; 18 would be better :)

AJ

I have a friend that has been riding a Harley the last few years and has decided to get a three wheeler. He has test driven both a spyder and a Harley Trike and I think I have him talked into the Spyder. He found one at our local dealer in St. George on consignment and asked me for my opinion on the price. I have no idea what it is worth as I have no intention of selling mine so I haven't looked into what my is worth. Mine is a 2014 RTL but the one he is looking at is a 2015 RTL with 10,000 miles on it. Anybody have any suggestions on what it is worth. The consignment price is at $19,500. Is this good or bad? The dealer told my friend that the current owner has three of them but wants to get a newer model for himself so he might be eager to sell.

Thanks for any help you can give. He does a lot of cross country riding so I know he would be happier on the Spyder, no comparison in my opinion.

d.o.spyder-rts
03-01-2018, 12:25 AM
You can check www.nada.com, it does list values for spyders (based on zip code). For my area it listed low retail @ 15,225 and avg retail @ 20,035. Dale

Chupaca
03-01-2018, 12:34 AM
You can check www.nada.com (http://www.nada.com), it does list values for spyders (based on zip code). For my area it listed low retail @ 15,225 and avg retail @ 20,035. Dale

Runs the same out here as well....:thumbup: must be warm weather pricing...:roflblack: 19,500 is decent price.

UtahPete
03-01-2018, 12:41 AM

Is it at MotoZoo? I don't know of anyone here in SW Utah with 3 Spyders.

I'd say the asking price is about $2k too high. But a lot depends on the way the bike is equipped and maintained and how much warranty remains.

Woodaddict
03-01-2018, 02:04 AM
I would say just slightly high. I bought used 2015 RTL in March 2017 for $19,795. ONLY 224 miles, only added feature was cup holder. not in wreck or damaged in any way. was told owner had "too much money" and bought spyder and 300 hp jet ski at same time. was bought and sold at same dealership so they know him.
depending how many extra's are on it, my guess is needs to be $1,000 less

johnsimion
03-01-2018, 02:48 AM
RideNow Rancho in Las Vegas is only a couple of hours away from you and currently has a brand new 2015 RS-S for $13,999 or a 2017 F3-S for $17,999. Those are not RTs, however. If you look on Cycle Trader, there are a number of 2017 RTs "brand new" for under $20K, which is only $500 more than the asking price for the 2015 with 10,000 miles and no warranty.

youngers
03-01-2018, 04:27 AM
quote : feature was cup holder. not in wreck or damaged in any way : man I am glad the cup holder was up to the test :roflblack: sorry brother rider , it was just kind of hanging there waiting for a good chuckle !

Bob Denman
03-01-2018, 07:44 AM
The price is in the Ballpark; just a bit toward the more expensive part of the park! :D
Tell him to start the negotiations!

C. Lee
03-01-2018, 08:40 AM
I paid just over $20k for my 16 RTL new. $19500 is high. Chris

Bob Denman
03-01-2018, 08:42 AM
I got 20K, when I traded in my 2014 last June. They sold it for 21K in just a Month...
It depends on the bike, the Dealership, and the market.

jaherbst
03-01-2018, 09:13 AM
NADA says $13-17,000. $15,000 would be halfway in between and in my opinion would be a fair price.

Consignment charges rears it's ugly head. Probably 10-15%. Better to buy from a private owner i.e.

no commission and no sales tax. At $19,000 it will sit for a long time.

I have a 2014 RTL and if I could sell it for $19,000 there would be nothing but a black hole where it

used to sit!

Jack

DGoebel
03-01-2018, 09:16 AM
At 10,000 miles, I'd check the back tire and see how new it is, or at least get a new back tire installed as part of that deal(Unless it's already not an original Kenda). It IS getting warmer and if the bike is cosmetically clean, mechanically sound, and your friend really is "called" by the spyder, then it's worth it. He can find less expensive ones, but maybe not as conveniently either.
When I got my gently used '13, it had about 8,000 miles, I had no idea my back tire would be BALD in a matter of months at 11,000 miles. Having to change it within the first year of ownership was a bit of a downer.

Big F
03-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Just like buying anything. offer a much lower amount and see if they accept/counteroffer?? then go from there. somewhere just say - I'll split the difference and see what happens. good luck.
BIG F

BUZZARD II
03-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Two thousand less, plus a new rear tire. That's max.

davehirst
03-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Last year, 2017, I bought a used 2015 RT S with 6 thousand miles for 20K. Don't know if that was a great price, but it fit my budget, so I bought it. (Private too)

Bob Denman
03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
As long as the bike was worth the purchase price to you: who cares what the Peanut Gallery thinks? :thumbup:
By the way: :congrats: :clap:

Utah Geezer
03-01-2018, 03:07 PM
I went to the dealership and looked at the Syder he was looking at. Turns out it was a RT-S. Does that change the pricing much. What does the limited have that the S doesn't besides GPS?

Thanks for all the comments and additional information you can share with me.

Dennis

Bob Denman
03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Bright Chrome bodywork trim, and the front travel bag...

ARtraveler
03-01-2018, 03:23 PM
I went to the dealership and looked at the Syder he was looking at. Turns out it was a RT-S. Does that change the pricing much. What does the limited have that the S doesn't besides GPS?

Thanks for all the comments and additional information you can share with me.

Dennis

$2K worth of chrome. And someone forget that accessories like that do not add value. :roflblack::roflblack:

Tazzel
03-01-2018, 03:28 PM
NO NO NO 15k to 16k at most

ARtraveler
03-01-2018, 03:28 PM

As you can see, prices are all over the place, depending on the part of the country. From where I sit--the $19K asking price is sky high. $15K is more realistic for a 2015--but that is just me. Most dealers have about $5K to play with. Since this is a consignment--the dealer is only going to get a % of the sale price and the consignor will get the rest. Dealer has nothing to lose by asking high--final price will be up to the consignor.

The good side--right now sellers can ask for top dollar. The season is about to begin. Be diligent and get your best deal.

jaherbst
03-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Always check the NADA before selling or buying.

2014 RTS SE6 Low $12,280 High $16160 Average $14,000

2014 RTS SM6 Low $11,585 High$15,245 Average $13,000

These are based on previous sales. Banks will normally loan 80% of the low value. I buy a lot of toys and vehicles every year and used I would never pay more than average price. This is a good reality check when one is dreaming or trying to rationalize. Seriously!

Jack

DGoebel
03-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Utah Geezer, almost sounds like they were trying to do a "Bait" (RTL) and "Switch" (RT-S), definitely don't pay RTL price for an RTS,
Jack's NADA high prices don't come anywhere near their original ask.
Shoot IMotorsports would ship a better priced deal for waaaaay less than the B&S disparity.