PDA

View Full Version : 2014 OEM Battery

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Two years ago I posted about this battery and reported I had starting issues from the day it was new. So instead of just replacing it ( because sometimes you can't really tell if a battery ia about to fail ), I bought one of those Lithium mini- jumper devices ..... Late last year I stopped keeping my RT on a Maintainer, and waited until I needed to use it because of battery failure..... well I waited a couple of months, hoping it would fail so I could find out if the Jumper worked as advertised...... The battery never went dead, and I have all winter ( another 4 mos. ) and when I went to start it today, it fired right up. I suppose I should be happy and I guess I am, but I still don't know if the Jumper will work ..... I will continue not using the Maintainer until the battery fails .......IF EVER :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Maybe the moral here is, your battery may not be in as a shape as you think ...... I wonder how many batteries get trashed long before they need to be :gaah:......... Mike :thumbup:

quasi
02-28-2018, 07:31 PM
I swapped my stock oem yuasa battery out last year for an a/m brand off of the bay. tried to save a few bucks. it's worked "ok" so far but I think the ricshaw is gonna get a new yuasa before I start hitting the road to much. I just don't really trust this a/m battery much.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-28-2018, 07:40 PM
I swapped my stock oem yuasa battery out last year for an a/m brand off of the bay. tried to save a few bucks. it's worked "ok" so far but I think the ricshaw is gonna get a new yuasa before I start hitting the road to much. I just don't really trust this a/m battery much..... Well like I said above , maybe yours will last a looooooooooooooooong time. Think about the Lithium Jumper thing ..... They are sooooooo popular now you can get a decent one for less than $50.00 ............cheap insurance ....... jmho ...... Mike :thumbup:

quasi
02-28-2018, 07:47 PM
.... Well like I said above , maybe yours will last a looooooooooooooooong time. Think about the Lithium Jumper thing ..... They are sooooooo popular now you can get a decent one for less than $50.00 ............cheap insurance ....... jmho ...... Mike :thumbup:

Got one. I got it back in 2016 off the Matco tool truck when I was living/working in South Carolina. pretty much stays on the bike along with the air pump and tire plug kit.

SpyderAnn01
02-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Have you checked to see if your lithium charger has maintained its charge? Wouldn’t that tick you off if your battery finally wouldn’t work and when you went to use your jumper you find out it’s dead too.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
]here is, your battery may not be in as a shape as you think ...... I wonder how many batteries get trashed long before they need to be :gaah:......... Mike :thumbup: [/COLOR]
I almost did that several years ago when my Goldwing battery wouldn't start the bike when I was leaving home in the morning. I jumped it to start and rode a good half hour plus to a morning coffee get together. A couple of hours later when I went to start the bike, nothing, nada, dead battery. One of guys at coffee jumped it. So I start going to a couple, three battery places to get a battery but didn't like their offerings. I left the bike running while I was shopping for a battery. So I went to Wally World and was ready to buy a battery. I borrowed a wrench to take the cables off the old battery and of course had to shut the bike down. Well, I decided to see if it would start. Zoom, took right off. Took the wrench back, put the new battery back on the shelf, and went home. I ordered a new OEM battery online. I also decided it was time to get a Battery Bug battery health monitor. (Great device, but sadly they're no longer made. Company lost a patent lawsuit.) I carried the new battery for over a year and changed it out only because I was getting ready for a cross country trip and needed the saddlebag space for other stuff. For all I know the OEM battery may have lasted for another year or longer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Got one. I got it back in 2016 off the Matco tool truck when I was living/working in South Carolina. pretty much stays on the bike along with the air pump and tire plug kit. Well then don't buy a battery until you know for sure it is near DEAD ..... If a battery just doesn't have enough JUICE, it can be jump started, and will keep your Spyder running fine ...... It's the initial Start that draws a lot of power ....... jmho ..... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-28-2018, 09:22 PM
I base my battery changes on time. I have been fortunate to NOT have any battery crashes. Never had one fail me on the road--SO FAR.

The 2011 (purchased in 2012) got a new OEM battery last season. The 2014 is going to get a new battery when I do the oil change service at start of riding season.

I only use the battery maintainer for the winter sleep. Late Oct to start up--usually March/April.

Chupaca
02-28-2018, 10:14 PM
Mine is now six years old...Been run down to nothing twice and then recently would not turn the engine over. Used the jump starter but may have been a vapor lock. Good thing about a manual is you can kick in gear and rock it back and forth.....Have always had good results with the YUASA batteries....:firstplace:

ottawa-rider
02-28-2018, 10:57 PM
I got one of those jumper last year, a Noco Genius GB20, I had a 2014 with the original battery, so I was concern of a potential problem.

Well, I got to use it, not for the Spyder but for the Kawasaki of a friend.

Over the course of a day outing, we had to boost his bike three times.

quasi
03-01-2018, 05:03 AM
I got one of those jumper last year, a Noco Genius GB20, I had a 2014 with the original battery, so I was concern of a potential problem.

Well, I got to use it, not for the Spyder but for the Kawasaki of a friend.

Over the course of a day outing, we had to boost his bike three times.

The Noco Genius GB20 is what I have also. I've used it several times jumping dead cars at tow yards when I have to do a damage appraisal. works fine.

old Timer
03-01-2018, 05:45 AM
I have a 9 year old BMW R1200GS with the original battery and still works perfectly. The secret with all of my bikes is that I connect and leave connected a Battery Tender Jr all the time when not riding it. No need for anything larger than the BT Jr.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Have you checked to see if your lithium charger has maintained its charge? Wouldn’t that tick you off if your battery finally wouldn’t work and when you went to use your jumper you find out it’s dead too.
:banghead::banghead::banghead: ... No Ann I was recalcitrant about that ..... So thanks to you I went to check it ...... :yes::yes::yes:after 6 mos. without re-charging it ...it still had a 75% charge , which was the minimum needed for a jump ....... Thanks ..... Mike :thumbup:

Fire34
03-02-2018, 07:53 AM
On a monthly basis, I have one for each car and the spyder have an alert on my phone at the first of the month to top them off. The ones I have dont seem to lose much but just to be safe
Dave

Bob Denman
03-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Good point, Ann! :clap: :thumbup:
Which reminds me which Lamonster garage tools should be plugged in, and have their charges topped off...
(Jump-starter, and air pump)

trikermutha
03-03-2018, 07:04 AM
I still have my original battery since 2014 and plan on using it another season unless I feel its time for a change :dontknow:

I will plug back in my maintainer today too . Last time I plugged it in it was charged back up in a few minutes.

Mad Mac
03-03-2018, 03:10 PM
I almost did that several years ago when my Goldwing battery wouldn't start the bike when I was leaving home in the morning. I jumped it to start and rode a good half hour plus to a morning coffee get together. A couple of hours later when I went to start the bike, nothing, nada, dead battery. One of guys at coffee jumped it. So I start going to a couple, three battery places to get a battery but didn't like their offerings. I left the bike running while I was shopping for a battery. So I went to Wally World and was ready to buy a battery. I borrowed a wrench to take the cables off the old battery and of course had to shut the bike down. Well, I decided to see if it would start. Zoom, took right off. Took the wrench back, put the new battery back on the shelf, and went home. I ordered a new OEM battery online. I also decided it was time to get a Battery Bug battery health monitor. (Great device, but sadly they're no longer made. Company lost a patent lawsuit.) I carried the new battery for over a year and changed it out only because I was getting ready for a cross country trip and needed the saddlebag space for other stuff. For all I know the OEM battery may have lasted for another year or longer.

I had an '03 GW and I had that bike for 11yrs., and had the original battery in it for the 70k miles I had on it. So I guess I was pretty lucky. But I did have it on a battery tender for 4mo. out of the every year also. My Spyder still has the original battery and it's on the tender for the same 4mo. oer year. Time will tell. Mac:doorag: