PDA

View Full Version : First Ryde of the Year For Me Today

newbert
02-27-2018, 02:44 PM
With the temps getting up to the low 50's, bright sunshine and most of the roads free from snow runoff, I decided to take a ryde today. First ryde since early November. I've had the Spyder on a Battery Tender all winter with a topped off tank. She started right up out of hibernation and was rarin' to go! I only did 57 miles but it sure did feel good! Not too cold, but pretty breezy - especially on the roads thru wide open farmland.

Got to try the "fit" of my new Russell Daylong seat for the first time and first impressions were really good!

Tomorrow should have similar weather, so I plan to get out again. But then the weather forecast looks like more "normal" temps and possibly some snow by the end of the week. (Back to winter...). With the changeable weather around here this time of year it's possible that I won't get to ryde again for up to 4 - 6 weeks (Ugh!). If that's the case, do I need to connect up to the Battery Tender again?

ARtraveler
02-27-2018, 03:00 PM
:congrats: About three weeks and counting. I am one of the first out on the roads here. :yes::yes:

Today, 10 above zero and recovering from another 6 inches of snow.

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Bert :congrats: on getting a February start on the Riding Season... :clap:

I did EXACTLY the same thing: I took a tour around the Rondout Reservoir!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

I've got to get the mirrors dialed-in, and the radio figured out, but the Season has started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ragXpWsAI

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Oh! I almost forgot to mention that I'm REALLY glad that I put one of Ron's anti-swaybars on this bike. :bowdown:
I now wish that I had put one on the 2014 also... :opps:

Ben Burped
02-27-2018, 03:41 PM
With the temps getting up to the low 50's, bright sunshine and most of the roads free from snow runoff, I decided to take a ryde today. First ryde since early November. I've had the Spyder on a Battery Tender all winter with a topped off tank. She started right up out of hibernation and was rarin' to go! I only did 57 miles but it sure did feel good! Not too cold, but pretty breezy - especially on the roads thru wide open farmland.

Got to try the "fit" of my new Russell Daylong seat for the first time and first impressions were really good!

Tomorrow should have similar weather, so I plan to get out again. But then the weather forecast looks like more "normal" temps and possibly some snow by the end of the week. (Back to winter...). With the changeable weather around here this time of year it's possible that I won't get to ryde again for up to 4 - 6 weeks (Ugh!). If that's the case, do I need to connect up to the Battery Tender again?

Whenever you think it may be a few days or weeks before your next ride, hook up the battery tender. It's simply going to make sure the battery is charged and that when you hit the start switch, you will be rewarded with a delightful sound.

donsspyder
02-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Bob glad to here the new spyder hit the road You had a long vacation from riding I hope it brought back good memories..

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 04:40 PM
:D The best... :2thumbs:

RapidSpyder
02-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Hooray for February rides in the snow belt! Anytime you can get one in is a good thing. Supposed to be in the 50’s here the next couple days. Have to get another one in myself.

wrb3004
02-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Going to be near 60 tomorrow but calling for rain then back to winter after that. In the mid fifty's today and the Spyder was raring to go. The oil has been changed, farkles done and has been all washed and waxed. Didn't ride far but was great getting back out. Plus I needed to do the short ride and routine so I could check the oil.

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 06:01 PM
:D We MIGHT get a second "bite at the apple" tomorrow. :thumbup:

After that: March is coming in like a cranky old witch! :gaah:

DGoebel
02-27-2018, 06:03 PM
I sincerely want to thank you guys FOR RUBBING IT IN! Still 8-10 inches of snow cover here, Sloppy, salty, wet, gritty roads here prolonging my PMS!
Though I can now see my driveway, the packed snow layer is all melted off over the last two days in the mid 30's.

PS, on the flip side, your postings of your first rides of the snowbelt season departing give me hope, hope for clean dry roads of spring....;)

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 06:10 PM
:shocked: Hang in there, Bro: Spring WILL happen! :thumbup:

Deanna777
02-27-2018, 07:14 PM
:congrats: getting your first ride in. I have to wait 5 more weeks until my spyder comes out of hibernation.:gaah: We still have some snow on the ground( not much), and the roads are still have salt, brine on them.

Hurry up spring!

We are hoping for a snow storm in March so we can at least get the last ride on our sleds.

Deanna

Chupaca
02-27-2018, 07:33 PM
So nice to hear the chit chat on first rydes and folks talking about dusting off the ryde already....:yes::yes:

missouriboy
02-27-2018, 10:02 PM
missourigirl and I really enjoyed our 148-myle putt-putt for lunch today with 6 Harleys and one other Spyder. :yes: So sorry, Mr. DGoebel. :ohyea:

Blue Star
02-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Glad you got your ryde in. It was 70 degrees here in Missouri, but my F3 is still in Calif. :(

DGoebel
03-01-2018, 09:29 AM
missourigirl and I really enjoyed our 148-myle putt-putt for lunch today with 6 Harleys and one other Spyder. :yes: So sorry, Mr. DGoebel. :ohyea:

Missouriboy, IF you really cared, I'll be just up the road a piece in Corpus Christi next week (driving my truck down) for a Hurricane Harvey recovery mission trip. Arriving Sunday night leaving for Houston Friday night?:sour:

spydernatic
03-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Our first ride of 2018 did 260 miles and went to 2 State parks. Started off a bit strange as we were getting on to ride I had turned the ignition on when my wife heard something drop it was the lens of my glasses looked down and almost stood on it, had to go back inside the house to refit the lens into my glasses frame not realizing that I had left the ignition turned on with the lights on. Got back onto the Spyder and tried to start it would not, did not have enough battery power to kick over. Opened the frunk unzipped the liner took off the cover to the battery got my portable jump start out of my car and got the Spyder started. 1 hour later than we had hoped to get going took the jump start with me just in case.158263158264158265

newbert
03-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Our first ride of 2018 did 260 miles and went to 2 State parks. Started off a bit strange as we were getting on to ride I had turned the ignition on when my wife heard something drop it was the lens of my glasses looked down and almost stood on it, had to go back inside the house to refit the lens into my glasses frame not realizing that I had left the ignition turned on with the lights on. Got back onto the Spyder and tried to start it would not, did not have enough battery power to kick over. Opened the frunk unzipped the liner took off the cover to the battery got my portable jump start out of my car and got the Spyder started. 1 hour later than we had hoped to get going took the jump start with me just in case.158263158264158265

Glad that you got it sorted out. 260 miles for a first ride is quite a bit IMO. Today, I did my third ryde (3 days in a row) bring my total to about 160 miles.

Winter's returning tonight though, so she's back in hibernation.