PDA

View Full Version : RT stick or automatic

Twowheelgal
02-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic.
So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic?
Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive.
Thanks for the help.
Diane

UtahPete
02-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic. So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic? Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive. Thanks for the help. Diane
Here's an old thread on the topic; http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64673-SE6-or-SM6

SPYD3R
02-27-2018, 01:11 PM
IF 'bling' is what you want, as in the auto-shift version.... WAIT until you find one to your liking and budget....
the manual tranny version will be a really expensive and most likely a long lived lesson if you aren't happy with it....

let's go to AGE.... most of us in the elevated age group are going to the SE (auto) versions, just because we've become a bit less interested in 'shifting' all day long....
just my opinion, but you asked for that in your post...

whatever you buy, ride it safely....
Dan P
SPYD3R

UtahPete
02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
IF 'bling' is what you want, as in the auto-shift version.... WAIT until you find one to your liking and budget....SPYD3R
I think the OP meant 'thinking' rather than 'the bling'

My two cents. 'Automatic' is a misnomer. It's really Manual vs. Electronic shift. The SE6 downshifts automatically, but upshifting is still controlled by the driver. It's really the clutch action that is different between the two, I think (I've never driven an SM6).

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-27-2018, 01:32 PM
The fact it is now three model years old and still in the box says a lot about the popularity of the manual shift. Keep that in mind.

UtahPete
02-27-2018, 01:39 PM
So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? Diane
It's not a 'stick'. You either enjoy using a clutch or not. Performance-wise I can't imagine anyone could shift faster using a manual clutch than the SE6 can shift when accelerating. See my thread 'what a machine'

ARtraveler
02-27-2018, 02:55 PM
Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic.
So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic?
Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive.
Thanks for the help.
Diane

Manual SM6 vs. Semi Auto SE6. Performance and mileage--not much difference. The Manual is about $1,500 less in cost. They are more difficult to sell because most want the SE version. I have had both and don't miss the Manual. If I need a shift fix, I have a two wheeler.

The earlier comment about 2015 and still in the box is a good indicator. The SM version is the "naked" version of the RT. I don't remember what it is missing from the SE version.

Clutch pull--no problem. I have had one manual and four semi automatics. Would not buy another :ani29: with the manual.

Good luck with your hunt. For a new 2015, they should be offering a "lot" off the MSRP. Look up used for the same model on Kelly or NADA. I am thinking used plus no more than $1,000 is a fair asking price. Since its being shipped, I am guessing someone else will get the servicing. This is a one and done for the dealer--so my price is within reason--IMO. :yes:

canamjhb
02-27-2018, 03:20 PM
I totally agree with all who have indicated the SM6 value to be much less than the SE6. A manual shift RT really limits the scope of it's market. Buy it if that's what you want. But, by just asking your question, you indicate you're mind is not set on a manual shift. That being the case, let that new SM6 continue to collect dust at the dealer. Find yourself a well loved 2014 or newer SE6. You will be happier.

ThreeWheels
02-27-2018, 03:51 PM
I like the manual shift, but that's my preference.
As to the resale value, I will probably run it into the ground, so I don't care.
You seem to prevaricate. Just like choosing a partner, if you can't say "Hell Yes", then you have to think about it too much and the answer is no.
You should move on to a selection that excites you.

UtahPete
02-27-2018, 04:27 PM
I like the manual shift, but that's my preference.
As to the resale value, I will probably run it into the ground, so I don't care.
You seem to prevaricate. Just like dating a woman, if you can't say "Hell Yes", then you have to think about it too much and the answer is no.
You should move on to a selection that excites you.
Ummm...I think she IS a woman...

Chupaca
02-27-2018, 04:34 PM
As for me and my opinion....I am a manual guy all the way. Love to be in control, be able to coast, be able to slip the clutch when needed etc. But test ryde an semi-auto and see what you think....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 04:42 PM
It's just whichever one, that "floats your goat" the best! :thumbup:

Grandpot
02-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Ya gotta love that spell check .:roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-27-2018, 06:33 PM

Ya gotta love that spell check .:roflblack:
You forgot the picture he posts every once in awhile? :roflblack:

MR. H1956
02-28-2018, 02:04 PM
As for me and my opinion....I am a manual guy all the way. Love to be in control, be able to coast, be able to slip the clutch when needed etc. But test ryde an semi-auto and see what you think....:thumbup:
I agree that a test ride of both styles would be very useful. When in doubt test ride. I myself just like the manual shift. Had a old hondamatic motorcycle once and hatted that auto shift. The two happiest days of my life was the day I bought it and the day I sold it to its next victim. I mean sucker, no I meant new owner

SpyderAnn01
02-28-2018, 02:13 PM
I love the manual and I have over 200,000 miles on Manual Spyders with very little problems. I also put about 8,000 miles on a 14 RT semi auto and did not like it. The clutch is really easy on the RT too. As for resale value, I recently sold my RTS SM-6 with 123,000 miles on it for $10,000. Of course a lower mileage bike would have sold for more but I was happy with the price.

I say go for the manual. Get them to throw in an extended warranty too.

MR. H1956
02-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Yes go out and test ride both then test some more. You'll some have the answer to to the question. Is it live or is it Memorex. Plus it always fun to ride someone elses bike for a little while.

ARtraveler
02-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I agree that a test ride of both styles would be very useful. When in doubt test ride. I myself just like the manual shift. Had a old hondamatic motorcycle once and hatted that auto shift. The two happiest days of my life was the day I bought it and the day I sold it to its next victim. I mean sucker, no I meant new owner

I have exactly the same feelings concerning the 750 Hondamatic. When they first came out in 1976--I had to have one. Loved it for about a month. The "turbine" sound when you snicked it into drive and rolled off was cool. The "missing" clutch got a lot of attention.

That one sat in the garage most of the time and I traded it off on a 1978 Kawi 650. That was a UJM bike. I decked it out with about $3K worth of Vetter accessories and put many, many miles on that one.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Memories. :yes::yes::yes:

jnt
03-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Your riding style may make a difference. Both are proven systems.

For riding in traffic, SE wins in our book. For oozing along in slow sections, left hand can get tired.

For hard riding, maybe the SM.

Have ridden both. Liked em both. Got great deal (on the color I really wanted), so have a SE. Quite pleased.

Get what YOU like.

Bob Denman
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
You forgot the picture he posts every once in awhile? :roflblack:

Thank you...

gnorthern
03-02-2018, 02:20 PM
I see nobody asked her how good a deal she is getting. Also nobody asked her if she is fairly confident she will keep it for a number of years.

I do not like my Altima hybrid but I got such a good deal on it I would buy it again without thinking. I got such a good deal (2 years old, 32000 miles, $12,800) I assume the resale on it would be terrible. But I do not care about resale since I plan on driving it into the ground like previous cars. I bought a new 2016 Spyder in October despite all of the cool features on the latest model ones because it was such a good deal.

As much as I like my SE6, I would have considered buying a SM6 if it was a really good deal. And I only say considered since I wasn't completely sold on the Spyder when I bought it, though I have enough time in the saddle that I am now.

Bob Denman
03-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Not everybody is always looking for a "Good Deal".
What good is the deal; if it's not the vehicle that you really want? :dontknow:
For important stuff like Spyders: I'd rather get exactly what I want, and pay for it... nojoke

But that's probably just me! :D

gnorthern
03-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Not everybody is always looking for a "Good Deal".
What good is the deal; if it's not the vehicle that you really want? :dontknow:
For important stuff like Spyders: I'd rather get exactly what I want, and pay for it... nojoke

But that's probably just me! :D

For me everything has a price. I guessed I would have a lot of fun with a manual (didn't drive one, but assumed it would be like a motorcycle or car), but preferred an SE6. If a manual was an option I decided I would be willing to pay $1500 more for an SE6. I found the SE6 really cool. If she finds the manual really hurts the riding experience, that is something different.