PDA

View Full Version : TT2000 2018 - South Island, New Zealand

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 04:26 AM
Firstly, thought I’d share this shot from of the Skippers Canyon checkpoint as it sums up why I love this event.

There was also a great turnout with 147 riders registered this year with a wide variety of different bikes. There was even another Spyder though I didn’t catch up with them until the end.

Cyclone Gita had hit only a couple of days before, resulting in numerous road closures making several checkpoints inaccessible. I had to drop my original aim of 3250km (2019 miles) but still managed a respectable 2765km (1718 miles) within the 48-hours. However the events target is 2000km so that's still respectable.

First aid training came in useful but I'd rather I hadn't needed it. I was first on the scene of a downed rider with badly broken arm near Mavora Lakes (i.e. middle of nowhere). Luckily had mobile coverage and the ambo got there in under an hour.

youngers
02-27-2018, 04:29 AM
has anyone else noticed , these guys got nutz ----- the speed in the curves ---- 75 :yikes: { but this looks like a nice ride , are all the roads pretty much back roads . or mix of highway ? }

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 04:43 AM
has anyone else noticed , these guys got nutz ----- the speed in the curves ---- 75 :yikes: { but this looks like a nice ride , are all the roads pretty much back roads . or mix of highway ? }

There's not really anything you'd call a highway in the South Island:-) We do have about 10km of dual lane in Christchurch but everywhere else its just a lane in each direction (the road with the 75 sign is a state highway). Most of it was tarmac but did about 100km of gravel roads over the weekend. The checkpoints are designed to get you using the really twisty/hilly routes anyway i.e. the perfect motorbike roads. Clarence Valley and Skippers Canyon were probably the hardest going as they are 4x4 only tracks.

missouriboy
02-27-2018, 04:48 AM
The 75 on that sign would be 45 in Indiana.

kph v. mph ;)

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Here's a video to give you an idea what Skippers is like - my photo was taken at the point 5:49 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cU25-gxxYM&t=16s

Grandpot
02-27-2018, 07:56 AM
There's not really anything you'd call a highway in the South Island:-) We do have about 10km of dual lane in Christchurch but everywhere else its just a lane in each direction (the road with the 75 sign is a state highway). Most of it was tarmac but did about 100km of gravel roads over the weekend. The checkpoints are designed to get you using the really twisty/hilly routes anyway i.e. the perfect motorbike roads. Clarence Valley and Skippers Canyon were probably the hardest going as they are 4x4 only tracks.

I'm glad to hear 75 was the highway number instead of the speed. I drive on 21 and everyone keeps passing me. :clap::clap::clap:

Chupaca
02-27-2018, 11:45 AM
You did well all considered...:clap::clap:and it does look impressive along the way. I know Fred Rau does bike tours there and my daughter now goes every year and loves to drive around...:thumbup:

DGoebel
02-27-2018, 11:50 AM
NICE Photos, and great report, 1700+ miles in 48hrs of mostly non-interstate and attending an accident is VERY respectable!

Aesculapius
02-27-2018, 12:02 PM
I intend on spending a couple weeks next year touring the Alps on my F3-S, then hopefully either New Zealand or Norway the next. Convince me that New Zealand is where I need to go!

RinconRyder
02-27-2018, 12:28 PM
All those gravel roads don't bother your drive belt?

MercerLake
02-27-2018, 01:38 PM
What a ride!! Obviously you are not too concerned with "rocks in the belt", just ride it! Certainly not a road to let your attention wander! :yikes:Thanks !!!:clap::clap::clap:

oldgoat
02-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Glad you had a great time.

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 02:23 PM
I'm glad to hear 75 was the highway number instead of the speed. I drive on 21 and everyone keeps passing me. :clap::clap::clap:

The 75 is a speed sign for the corner but as already mentioned its 75kph = 46mph so not as bad as you think:-)

The road itself if State Highway 6 which winds its way down the West Coast from the top to the bottom.

The photo was taken at 'The Neck', situated between Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawera.

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 02:35 PM
All those gravel roads don't bother your drive belt?

I've got the Spyderpops belt guard and so far not had an issue on those sorts of roads. I do stop to check the belt and pulleys if I hear or feel anything odd. Had a couple of small stones in the back pulley before but by catching them early they don't damage the belt.

I have put a stone through one belt but that was on a newly laid section of chip and tar where the tar was still hot - that's the common cause I've heard of here. What a learnt from that was the belts are pretty tough and you can get yourself home afterwards:-)

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 02:41 PM
What a ride!! Obviously you are not too concerned with "rocks in the belt", just ride it! Certainly not a road to let your attention wander! :yikes:Thanks !!!:clap::clap::clap:

Funny enough you don't notice the drop so much when your riding it....well until you meet a big 4x4 coming the other way, then it becomes REALLY noticeable:-)

PistonBlown
02-27-2018, 03:06 PM
I intend on spending a couple weeks next year touring the Alps on my F3-S, then hopefully either New Zealand or Norway the next. Convince me that New Zealand is where I need to go!

The thing with NZ is that its like a 'best bits' compilation of all your favourite scenery. So you can go from snow covered mountains and glaciers, to rain forests, to desert, to rolling hills, to warm golden beaches all in a single journey. Been a few places but ever come across such compact diversity.

For people considering coming I would advise not booking during the 4 weeks after Chinese New Year. Over that recent years New Zealand has become a major destination during that time and as a result every hotel, motel, tour etc is booked to bursting point.