PDA

View Full Version : Could you tow a motorcycle with a Spyder RT?

Jenfz09
02-24-2018, 07:41 PM
What do you think? Could you tow a 400 lb sport bike behind a Spyder?

Chupaca
02-24-2018, 07:56 PM
You would need a hitch...:dontknow:

Flamewinger
02-25-2018, 12:07 AM
I don't see why not. I've seen a Goldwing towing a trials bike on a trailer. I also know of a tow Goldwing that it a emergency tow truck and can tow cars. Albeit not for long distances.

So owing a 400 lb loaded trailer would be about the same as towing a cargo trailer just not an aerodynamic.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-25-2018, 12:15 AM
I don't see why not. I've seen a Goldwing towing a trials bike on a trailer. I also know of a tow Goldwing that it a emergency tow truck and can tow cars. Albeit not for long distances.

So owing a 400 lb loaded trailer would be about the same as towing a cargo trailer just not an aerodynamic.
I believe the 400lb max recommended tow limit .....must include the weight of the trailer and the Load itself .... the lightest weight I've ever seen for a trailer is 150lbs........ so adding a 400lb Mtc. will = 550lbs total .......and the load is very high up compared to a normal load and I think that needs to considered ....... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

Jenfz09
02-25-2018, 12:36 AM
I believe the 400lb max recommended tow limit .....must include the weight of the trailer and the Load itself .... the lightest weight I've ever seen for a trailer is 150lbs........ so adding a 400lb Mtc. will = 550lbs total .......and the load is very high up compared to a normal load and I think that needs to considered ....... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

Worth a try. Thanks for the info!

Bfromla
02-25-2018, 02:42 AM

;) Has been done:158120:yes::yes::yes: just be careful with the balance :lecturef_smilie:
as much over & on axel as possible.

(FYI not my pic but had to keep evidence of a HD in tow:p)wish I could find the thread it was on about someone had to help their bud get his bike to or from a dealer. Anybody know plz pm me thx

WA5VHU
02-25-2018, 05:35 AM
Sure, I tow my enclosed motorcycle trailer all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ARkLQOIP0

Bob Denman
02-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Even with the lightest sport bikes; you'll probably be over the weight limitations.
But if you want to give it a low-speed, local street try: we'd love to hear how things proceed.
Good luck! :thumbup:

(I've seen GoldWings tow log-splitters and small outboard engine boats...)

Grandpot
02-25-2018, 10:22 AM
If you can tow it, can you stop it? Accelerating at a normal rate is easy compared to a Panic Stop.

Bob Denman
02-25-2018, 10:28 AM
:shocked: That IS the other side of this slippery slope...
We've seen folks in here tow trailers weighing over 500 pounds before... :dontknow:

I'm not saying it's smart: I'm just saying that it's possible.

eddieshep999
02-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Your mention of the Goldwing is likely to be the Goldwing 1800 Retriver
There are 2 in service used by the UK Highways agency

https://youtu.be/g42oP7hUVTM

RinconRyder
02-25-2018, 12:35 PM

The towed bike weighs 400 lbs so the combined weight of bike and trailer needs to be calculated as well as the tongue weight.

Jenfz09
02-25-2018, 08:48 PM
I would love to have one of my bikes in TN on vacation, but riding for ten hours on a sport bike is not my idea of a good time. If anything we can take the Spyder and the car from PA to TN and switch off. My husband won't go near my bikes so it's the Spyder or one of his cruisers.

r1100rider
02-25-2018, 11:16 PM
What do you think? Could you tow a 400 lb sport bike behind a Spyder?
Why? just ride it