PDA

View Full Version : STL or ST-S wet weight?

nwrider
02-24-2018, 12:52 PM
I've tried a number of different searches to no avail. Has anyone actually weighed their ST-S or STL? I've found dry weights listed from roughly 850 -1020# It's important since I want to transport my ST-S (with bags) + an Aprilia Caponord Rally. The Rally's wet weight is 612#. I need to be sure I get a trailer that can handle the load with a bit of extra margin.
TIA John

WET WIGHT 937#

asp125
02-24-2018, 02:12 PM
The weight of a gallon of gas is 6.2lbs, water (coolant) is around 8.4lbs, oil about 6.8lbs/gal. The other fluids are insignificant. So full of gas and fluids, add approximately 40lbs for 6.6 gallons of gas, couple for coolant and oil, and then a safety factor - say 50lbs. extra. Then don't forget any payload such as aftermarket accessories and gear.

When we were toy-hauler shopping we had to run the same calculations. Our GS (dry 700lbs) plus two sportbikes, I added 20% for margin. Ended up around 1900lbs. :shocked:

nwrider
02-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Yes, I understand all of the add on weights but when the given dry weight varies by about 160# there's no way to be sure what the true dry weight is and, manufacturers are notoriously dishonest in their published figures. My riders manual has a misprint for the dry weight which is given as 392mm!!!!

Even subtracting the maximum load of 459# from the GVWR of 1373# = 914# doesn't make me confident that it's accurate and isn't close to other published dry weights.

Yazz
02-24-2018, 07:20 PM
I've heard of people weighing their Spyders at semi weigh stations. Some truck stops have them too.

nwrider
02-24-2018, 08:15 PM
yazz,
That's probably what I'll have to do -- I was hoping someone had already done that. If I do have it weighed, I'll post it here.

Peter Aawen
02-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Over here in Aus, most Landscaping Supplies or Garden Centres, Fire-Wood lots, or just about any other place that sells bulk material by weight generally has their own weigh bridge.... as well as all the heavy vehicle & local council weigh stations that are around the place! So we just duck down to the nearest Garden Centre etc & ask if they'll weigh our Spyder - & I don't know of anyone being knocked back yet, with the only time I know of when anyone was asked to pay being when an official weight certificate was required... even then, the cost was only about $5! Knowing what your Spyder weighs in ryding trim can come in really handy for all sorts of things, including helping you to set your tire pressures correctly! ;)

Got any Garden or Landscaping Supply Centres nearby?! :thumbup:

nwrider
02-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Well I used the airplane weighing technique of using a bathroom scale with 2x10 boards under the tires and just rolled each wheel on to the scale. It's probably as accurate as it would be going to a commercial scale where the accuracy might be questionable for lighter weights. Anyway, with a few items in the frunk that might weigh a total of 10# roughly offset by about a gallon burned off of a full tank of fuel + saddlebags & mounts, spyderpops bump/skid and BajaRon swaybar it came in at 937#. 342# on the rear tire, 310 on the R front and 285 on the L front. With a GVWR of 1373# - 937# = 436# for rider + passenger + gear.

To have a bit of margin on a trailer, I'm going to need a payload capacity of about 1700#. Most of the single axle trailers I've looked at have a GVWR of 2990# with empty weights around 1100 - 1200# very close to my limit.

Flamewinger
03-05-2018, 10:21 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the weight is around 1300 lbs. if a Honda Goldwing can weight 1000lbs then the extra wheel makes it heavier. Find a truck scale or a garden place that sells gravel and see if they’ll weight it for you.

nwrider
03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
See my previous post. I weighed mine at 937# wet.