PDA

View Full Version : Backrest Question

arsquatch
02-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Hiya Gang,

so so dumb question here since BRP and my dealer can’t answer my question. So long story short. I have a stock BRP backrest and just ordered a comfort seat for my RT is there a way I can use the stock back rest by swapping the bottom mount for 70plus dollars versus another back rest at 449? I can see the mounts being different but are the top parts that different? Thanks in advance.

ARSquatch

Bob Denman
02-23-2018, 10:19 AM
:shocked: I've never seen the mounts sold separately, and I do believe that some of the top pieces are shaped differently due to the different contours of the seats.
Sorry!

arsquatch
02-23-2018, 10:33 AM
The BRP website lists two separate mounting options for adjustable mounts. The seats look identical in pictures and I was just curious if there is a cheaper way to get around this.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/accessories/seats-backrests-racks.html

canamjhb
02-23-2018, 08:44 PM
I suspect you can mount your backrest on the adjustable mount for the comfort seat. Certainty well worth a try. If after ordering the bracket, you find it is not compatible with your backrest, just return it and get ready to spend the big bucks for an entire set up......

JayBros
02-23-2018, 11:52 PM
According to what I read in the 2017 hard copy catalog if you order PN 219400682, $79.99, from your dealer that is the adjustable driver backrest support upgrade kit for previous generations of driver backrest. This kit fits both the production and Comfort Seat.

Go to this link and you can see the instructions for how to install the upgrade kit to your new Comfort Seat when it arrives:
http://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1&sku=219400682

In the instructions you will see that the mounting bracket that comes with the upgrade kit appears to be a bit different, at least picture-wise but I am not certain, from the backrest base that comes with the $449 adjustable driver backrest for the comfort seat. Your dealer parts guy should be able to verify this before he orders the part for you.

PW2013STL
02-24-2018, 01:28 AM
Hiya Gang,

so so dumb question here since BRP and my dealer can’t answer my question. So long story short. I have a stock BRP backrest and just ordered a comfort seat for my RT is there a way I can use the stock back rest by swapping the bottom mount for 70plus dollars versus another back rest at 449? I can see the mounts being different but are the top parts that different? Thanks in advance.

ARSquatch

The only difference is in the mount. The backrest itself is the same, so ordering the mount will get you what you need.

Bob Denman
02-24-2018, 10:23 AM
It won't... :shocked:

There are essentially Three components to the backrest:
The padded rest itself
The support
The base

The support is what you change, in order to be able to adjust the amount of rake that you have.
(I did that with mine...)
You would need to change the base; in order to make things begin to fit on the Comfort seat...
And I still think that you'd end up with some fitment issues with the vinyl covers....
(To be honest: I'm not 100% sure of the fitment issues...)

arsquatch
02-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. From the research I have found it’s worth a shot to see if it works or not so I ordered the mount and it will be here the same day as the seat. So I will keep you posted.

Bob Denman
02-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Good luck!! :thumbup:
(I just bolted my backrest to the new bike...)

SpyderNeil
02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
Good luck!! :thumbup:
(I just bolted my backrest to the new bike...)

Absolutely Gorgeous Bob!!!

Bob Denman
02-24-2018, 05:50 PM
:D

H2O
02-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Unless BRP has decided to be more generous, the mount referenced is just the new "tuning fork" to allow easier adjustments forward and backward tilt. The missing piece of the puzzle is the aluminum mounting plate bolted to the bottom of the seat, and BRP doesn't (as far as I know) sell that separately.

I bought a comfort seat for my RT a little over a year ago and decided to try to fabricate a new mounting plate. I used 1/4" plywood to make a prototype for fitment and alignment and once happy with that, used 1/4" aluminum plate for the mount. Take the locking assembly mechanism off the old mount and use it on the new plate. I spent several hours cutting and fitting the plywood prototype so it cleared everything under the seat. I also milled flat bottomed relief holes for all the bolt heads to keep them countersunk and to prevent interference with the center frame member.

H2O

Bob Denman
02-27-2018, 07:45 AM
:shocked: Seems like an awful lot of work: are you happy with the results? :dontknow:
(Would you do it again?)

H2O
02-27-2018, 11:05 PM
:shocked: Seems like an awful lot of work: are you happy with the results? :dontknow:
(Would you do it again?)

I'm not afraid of a little work especially if it saves me from buying another backrest kit for a few hundred dollars! With the time I put into making the plywood prototype (only needed one) it fits me perfectly. I would do it again for myself in a heartbeat. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the work to my own nitpicking standards and beating them at their own game.

H2O

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-28-2018, 01:18 AM
I'm not afraid of a little work especially if it saves me from buying another backrest kit for a few hundred dollars! With the time I put into making the plywood prototype (only needed one) it fits me perfectly. I would do it again for myself in a heartbeat. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the work to my own nitpicking standards and beating them at their own game.

H2O
:clap::clap::clap::agree::agree::agree: ...........We DIYer's Rock .........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-28-2018, 08:51 AM
:agree: :congrats: on the successful completion of a worthwhile project! :clap: :bowdown:

Gumbeau
03-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Hiya Gang,

ARSquatch

In a word, yes. The BRP part number for the comfort seat is 219400682. I made this conversion on my 2014 RTL and it works great!!

GoldenSpyder
03-04-2018, 04:20 PM
In a word, yes. The BRP part number for the comfort seat is 219400682. I made this conversion on my 2014 RTL and it works great!!

Gumbeau,
So you put a Comfort Seat on your 2014 RTL and only had to change out the mount for the backrest ($79.95) to make your stock backrest work with the comfort seat? Please enlighten me on this since I would LOVE to be able to do this! :pray:
Thanks,
Lorna

Cruzr Joe
03-04-2018, 05:31 PM
The only difference is in the mount. The backrest itself is the same, so ordering the mount will get you what you need.

:agree::agree:

Cruzr Joe

dukeBlue48
03-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Yes I did the same thing. PN: 219400682 for the comfort seat adjustable driver backrest support upgrade kit 79.99