PDA

View Full Version : MY TAKE ON IT

oldguyinTX
02-21-2018, 08:27 PM
I have, as many others have, posted my Spyder for sale on the For sale and want to buy page on this forum. May be just my impression, but I have not seen any sales of Spyders on that page, and some have been there for a long time. What I have seen is a lot of really good feedback on how they are priced for sale, and what is a realistic price for what we have to sell. Many thanks to all that have chimed in.

oldgoat
02-21-2018, 09:39 PM
I have, as many others have, posted my Spyder for sale on the For sale and want to buy page on this forum. May be just my impression, but I have not seen any sales of Spyders on that page, and some have been there for a long time. What I have seen is a lot of really good feedback on how they are priced for sale, and what is a realistic price for what we have to sell. Many thanks to all that have chimed in.

I was thinking the same thing today. Thinking what a waste of time it is.

Now used parts etc are a different matter. They seem to always (or very nearly always) get sold.

Mazo EMS2
02-21-2018, 09:57 PM
I think the concentration of Spyder buyers isn't strong enough. If I was to try to sell, I would list locally on Craigslist and other forums that cover your immediate area. To me it's unrealistic to expect someone to travel much more than a couple hundred miles to buy a bike. There are enough Spyders out there nowadays that allows us to shop more "locally". Yeah, there are hundreds of members here on S/L, but to expect a member from within a reasonable driving distance to see your ad, and then follow through...to me is unrealistic. Advertise locally. Accessories do pretty well on here I think, but not the bikes. It does give a decent venue for feedback though, as mentioned

DJFaninTN
02-21-2018, 10:20 PM
blame old man winter for most of you. those of us in FL are digging these warm temps. in a few weeks everyone will want to be out riding and I am betting your activity will pick up then.

ARtraveler
02-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Good information all. :bowdown::bowdown: I was thinking the same thing. Been trying to sell one since 2015. Dealer is going to get it and sell on consignment come March. :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-21-2018, 10:47 PM
There are few shoppers coming here as one assumes to be here you have to have one. We have many that and leave the site you will see us telling them to stay on. For lurker the site should have some promotion or banner stating spyders for sale maybe a picture of some to attract them to that forum...:dontknow:

Stumpy6Guns
02-22-2018, 12:13 AM
I sold mine on CycleTrader. It took a long time to find a buyer but we were both happy with the deal. I priced it based on the feedback I got from here and in CycleTrader.
The only responses I got from Craigslist were from scammers, so be careful out there.

Scotts8826
02-22-2018, 06:31 AM
I bought my RTS from an ad on Spyderlovers. But, it was July and it was also in the same metro area where i live.

Buckeye Bleau
02-22-2018, 06:44 AM
I bought my RTS from an ad on Spyderlovers. But, it was July and it was also in the same metro area where i live.

There are Metro areas in Kansas? Nah, just kidding, but I could not help myself.

Joe

spydernatic
02-22-2018, 08:53 AM
I sold mine on CycleTrader. It took a long time to find a buyer but we were both happy with the deal. I priced it based on the feedback I got from here and in CycleTrader.
The only responses I got from Craigslist were from scammers, so be careful out there.

I also sold mine on Cycletrader it took 5 days to sell I put the ad in on Wednesday Thursday got a call from a guy in Alabama Sunday we met halfway between my home in Georgia and his in Alabama did the deal counted the cash, got my 2017 RTL delivered on Tuesday.
Also tried Craigslist and just got scammers calling me.

mavrik
02-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Don't give up...definitely frustrating...bad time of year around here, on top of that spyders are coming more available unless you have specific model you want, also sypders are a small segment of the riding population. Another month and people will be looking more to buy

DGoebel
02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Yep, kinda like selling a snowmobile in May.... I can't imagine many in CT looking for a bike quite yet. But they will be soon. I found my used spyder through dealers posting on Craigslist, after joining and checking SL. I did look at two personal spyders for sale, but both wanted spring time prices in the fall. (Up north there is quite a spread).

SpyderAnn01
02-22-2018, 11:46 AM
I really think you would come out ahead by selling your trailer separately from your Spyder. You will likely be selling to a first time Spyder owner who would have no idea if they needed a trailer. There are always people looking for the RT-622 on this forum and people are getting top $$ for them.

I am not looking to purchase your trailer, my 10 trailer is still doing the job for me.

Squanchkava72
02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Facebook marketplace is a good place to list and find vehicles.

ofdave
02-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Timing is everything as has been said.
I see a tendency for sales prices to be above the market when posted here. Asking 2-3000 dollars less than new for a three year old bike is just wishful thinking and I don't care what you've added.
A list of the cost of all the extras you had to have and spent big money getting and installing does not mean they add to the value in an equal amount. Accessories bring two things-a lighter wallet and a return of maybe 15-20% of the cost when the bike/trike is sold, if they are universally sought after add-ons. Cosmetic additions add nothing to value/price. Not all share your taste.
People often say xx dollars "invested". That is far from the truth. You want to invest in a toy, buy a Henderson or original Barbie. They might go up or hold their value- a Spyder will not. It is foolishness to call it an "investment".
Doing some research will help find value-Kelly and NADA really don't, but they will give you an idea.
Price at or just above what you will accept. A selling price is very different from an asking price. I'll take a fair selling price and money in my hand over a high asking price any day.

al0vely
02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
I am looking for a 2014 RTS and have talked to a couple of sellers on SL. Actually I am hoping to close the deal on one this weekend.

In addition to shopping here I have also looked on CL, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, and CycleTrader. My first choice is to buy local or within a couple of hours driving distance and 2nd choice is buy from wherever. I purchased my current F3L on Ebay from Tampa FL and had it delivered by U-Ship.

I don't want anything older than 2014 and the price has to be in my range. Farkles are OK but they don't have a value to me when buying used.

JerryB
02-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Hi oldguyinCT,

Re: MY TAKE ON IT

I know that my buying experience was somewhat unique.

The seller was located in Southern California. He sent emails to SRA chapters on the west coast; maybe some inland, don't know for absolute.

The local SRA chapter president knew what I was looking for & sent the info on the Spyder on to me.

I had a number of emails & phone calls with the seller.

Fortunately, I had a trip to SoCal already planned, so it was easy for me to stop by and 'try her out.'

The Spyder met all of my pre-determined conditions, so I bought it.

Send some emails out ( with photos, specs, etc ) to all of the SRA chapters near you. It might just work.

Jerry Baumchen