PDA

View Full Version : brakes

Mikey
02-21-2018, 08:07 PM
The temp in Maine was 60 plus and of course I had to uncover Hoot! Let it warm up as it was doing that the brake light came on again. It did the same thing just before I put it away this fall, so I picked up the seat and check the fluid the back jug needed a little juice, so I gave her a drink, light went out. My question is, what is the back jug feeding, the back brakes or front? I was going to check all the pads this spring, but usually when you start to need fluid you need pads, that's why I would like to know how it feeds out from the jugs so I could get the pads on hand. Thank you for your time!! P.S I had the bike half way out the door just as my bud showed up with beer to sit on the deck and watch the sun set! Going to snow again this weekend!!:yikes:

Highwayman2013
02-21-2018, 08:25 PM
The rear should be for the front. Take a good look at the pads.

Mikey
02-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Thank you for the reply! I think I will tear into all the brakes before spring. do you have a favorite choice on after market pads or factory replacement?

SpyderAnn01
02-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the reply! I think I will tear into all the brakes before spring. do you have a favorite choice on after market pads or factory replacement?

BajaRon sells EBC pads.

mavrik
02-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Something to keep in mind...if you filled up the brake fluid then find you brakes need to be replaced, when you push the piston back in the calipers to install the new pads, you may find brake fluid coming out of reservoir. The is because fluid in the lines and caliper are being pushed back into the reservoir....so you may need to take a little out first but watch it.

missouriboy
02-22-2018, 05:05 PM
The temp in Maine was 60 plus and of course I had to uncover Hoot! Let it warm up as it was doing that the brake light came on again...By "brake light" do you mean just the regular taillights, the dashboard Parking Brake indicator, or a Code meaning Brake Failure?

I had all my brake pads replaced at 39K miles, and now have 47.7K miles. Every couple thousand miles, I get a Code Error (don't recall which one) saying "Low Brake Fluid" and the Parking Brake indicator also will not go off. Until I add some fluid to the back jug, then both will reset to normal.

This sometimes happens when I'm far from home, but I can continue ryding with no ill effects; just ignore the error and ryde on.

I get the "Sintered" EBC pads for replacements.

pegasus1300
02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Backs tend to wear a lot faster then fronts,which seems strange. you can look at the rears and measure them on the bike. I don't remember the minimum thickness.

missouriboy
02-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Backs tend to wear a lot faster then fronts,which seems strange...Hmmmm... maybe not so strange, mathematically: there is only one back disc, two on the front. If weight transfer makes braking effort 60:40 front:back, you have 33.3% of brake hardware on the back doing 40% of the work.

That's just a cowboy logic guess, though; I don't know the exact front:rear braking load, or the exact front:rear contact area of the Spyders.

PistonBlown
02-25-2018, 03:25 AM
On my 2011 RS the rear pads last around 18,000km while the fronts are good for 45,000km. So a significant difference. They get a lot of use because I tend to do a lot of bendy, hilly, riding.

Bfromla
02-25-2018, 06:50 AM
:shocked:
https://youtu.be/Csji-2tfwAQ
& BaJaRon for the pads:firstplace:& fast:yes::2thumbs: the fluid sensors are hyper sensative, & can fault just parking on incline if just a teaspoon low. Part of the safety card double check list encouragement.