PDA

View Full Version : What's your secret recipe?

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 11:52 AM
So many threads about tires, windshields, alignments, shocks,
swaybars and more...
There are still a lot of us that are still uncomfortable with their Spyder especially at
highway speeds.
So...give us your best recipe that made your Spyder ryde as comfortable and smooth as possible!

Bob Denman
02-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Nothing much special at all...
The standard 25" windshield at it's lowest setting...
BRP's rider backrest
BRP's adjustable air deflectors

Easy-Peasey... :D

Oh! I also had a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover on my 2014: I'll have to consider getting another one for the new bike.

JayBros
02-20-2018, 12:03 PM
What specifically are you uncomfortable with about your Spyder at highway speeds?

How about some numbers, please. "A lot of us" doesn't cut it without some empirical data.

al0vely
02-20-2018, 12:05 PM
It took me 500 - 1000 miles before I felt very comfortable at highway speeds. I have not subscribed to all the must haves - but added the accessories that increased my comfort as I continue to ride. I am even planning to remove the BRP vibration dampner because it fixes one problem temporarily then could cause another.

Keep riding - comfort and security will come to you.

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 12:08 PM
What specifically are you uncomfortable with about your Spyder at highway speeds?

How about some numbers, please. "A lot of us" doesn't cut it without some empirical data.

Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles
but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!

SPYD3R
02-20-2018, 12:11 PM
on my very 1st ride, i was very uncomfortable because i was expecting my SPYD3R to handle like a 2 wheeler....
i thought to myself, "wow, i've wasted some serious buck$"....
after about 200 miles of share fear and reservations, it & i started to feel way more comfortable....
by the time i hit 500 miles, it was all SMILES.... :ohyea:
had the SPYD3Rs been around back in the 1960's, i would have gone this route vs. 2 wheels...

farkle it to your liking, and give it a few hundred miles, and you'll be all SMILES like all the rest of us...
good luck & ride carefully....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Easy Rider
02-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Add me.

But your request is unreasonable; I suspect on purpose. Not nice.

In it's stock configuration, the Spyder has an UNSTABLE feel to it.
It tends to "dart" around with little or no input from the rider.

Part of that is real and part is just a feeling.
Some riders are more sensitive to it than others, it seems.

Just because YOU don't find it a problem does NOT mean that there is something wrong with the riders that DO find it to be a continuing problem.
And I resent the implication that there IS something wrong with them (us).

I strongly suspect that the tires have a LOT to do with it, soft sidewalls and poor tread pattern and that a lot of the other "fixes" that we are encouraged to spend a TON of money on by well other well meaning owners would just be a waste of money for your average "old fart" sedate-style owners. But that's just a theory. I won't be testing that until I am thoroughly convinced that just more miles in the seat won't solve most of the problem. But so far, there was a big improvement and then a plateau where I am mostly comfortable except in "unusual" situations......and speeds above about 55 MPH seem to magnify the little things that are uncomfortable.

Easy Rider
02-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Just noticed that you are in Florida......not too far from me, I think.

I still believe that the wavy roads (the 2 lane ones mostly) in Florida are part of my problem.
It's hard to keep the surface level when the road is built on SAND.

Finding a wavy section of pavement while going around a curve is particularly unsettling.

Blue Star
02-20-2018, 12:56 PM

I still believe that the wavy roads (the 2 lane ones mostly) in Florida are part of my problem.

Finding a wavy section of pavement while going around a curve is particularly unsettling.

I had this same problem with the wavy roads when I lived in Southern California, and it bothered me at first too. Once I realized it was the road, and not the bike it got better. I just learned to not hold on so tight, and adjust when the wavy part hit.

One thing I did to improve my confidence was to find a non-wavy road, and let go of the handle bars to see how straight the Spyder rode.
*Note: I had the cruise on, and held my hands about a half inch above the grips for safety when I did this.

Just give it some time, and miles. It will get better.

UtahPete
02-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles but not completely comfortable that's why I'm looking for the secret recipe!
It's not the bike. Get out there and RYDE!

Gator37
02-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Biggest improvement to me after coming from almost 60 years on two wheelers was the Sway bar and the Aleignment by Ann and Joe. Just takes a little getting used to.

JayBros
02-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Add me.

But your request is unreasonable; I suspect on purpose. Not nice.

Did I accuse the OP of intentionally fabricating numbers? Not at all. Do I suspect the OP of being a troll? Absolutely not. Would I like to know how many Spyder riders are unsatisfied with how their bikes handle? Sure, absolutely. If there are unsatisfied riders then data is important in attempting to assess the reasons for the dissatfaction. Kindly do not impugn my questioning when I was simply asking the OP to give us an idea of just how many owners are unsatisfied with their Spyders.

juscuz
02-20-2018, 01:38 PM
So far for me the biggest improvement has been the Baharon sway bar, WAIT, it's the laser alignment, WAIT, it's the 32 inch windshield, NO WAIT, it's the shad bags, DARNIT, it's the belt tensioner, OH WHAT THE HELL, it's the two up shock (yeah right) BUT Elka's soon, almost done, BUT no where near finished. RDL seats on order to make everything else more enjoyable for the long haul. WAIT there's more !!!!

bcer960
02-20-2018, 01:56 PM
I agree with what many have said here, the wheel ruts in the road will pull you around. Honestly, relax your grip. It may seem like a hard thing to get used to but it does help.

Now as for mods, I have 2017 RT-S, Other than the daily commute. I generally ride 2-up with my wife. We have put about 13000miles in 2 summers of riding (still very much winter up here) and the 2 things I found that really made a difference to me are

1) sway bar
2) shock stiffeners from doc Humphrey.

I was able to buy 2 of the stiffeners from a guy who purchased the set, and only used 2 of them. The difference in corners was immediate, and as noticeable as when I put on the sway bar. The combination makes the spyder almost effortless around corners, and so much easier to ride.

Ray

Bob Denman
02-20-2018, 02:07 PM
If you buy a Spyder, and expect it to handle like a motorcycle: you're going to be VERY disappointed! nojoke
If you choose to NOT do the research, and learn what to expect: shoes fault is that?
If you're unwilling to take the time to learn something new: what do you expect?
Give it 500 miles, and then come back to us! :thumbup:

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=bcer960;1337533]
I agree with what many have said here, the wheel ruts in the road will pull you around. Honestly, relax your grip. It may seem like a hard thing to get used to but it does help.

Now as for mods, I have 2017 RT-S, Other than the daily commute. I generally ride 2-up with my wife. We have put about 13000miles in 2 summers of riding (still very much winter up here) and the 2 things I found that really made a difference to me are

1) sway bar
2) shock stiffeners from doc Humphrey.

I was able to buy 2 of the stiffeners from a guy who purchased the set, and only used 2 of them. The difference in corners was immediate, and as noticeable as when I put on the sway bar. The combination makes the spyder almost effortless around corners, and so much easier to ride.

Ray
[/QUOTE Who on this thread found an improvement with a taller windshield?
Does the windshield make for a better feel due to less wind buffeting or does it push the byke a little more??

MercerLake
02-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Assuming that everything about your :spyder2: is set up correctly, that leaves the rider technique and the rider's brain, and this can be solved. If you've been riding two wheels for years the brain is trained that if you are leaning left or right then you must be turning, so it corrects for the input and turns slightly left or right. So there you go down the road "twitching" left and right, very unsettling. Now we add a road surface that tilts left and right and we have more input to the brain telling us that we are twitching even more!:yikes:
What I found for myself, is that I was trying to keep my body and head aligned vertically with the vertical axis of the bike which works on a two wheeler as most of the road induced motion is vertical except when your really turning. So the brain becomes "trained"! With the :spyder2: going down the road you have motion vertically (bumps and dips) and side to side tipping following the road profile. So if you are riding with your body attempting to align with the vertical plane of the :spyder2:the poor old brain is being told that you are turning every which way and tries to correct for the perceived motion making it worse as now you are really "twitching". Once I realized what was happening to me I decided to ride the :spyder2:like a horse and let it move around under me and basically keep my head somewhat vertical and relax. All of sudden my SPYDER became "friendly" and it now tracks down the road at any speed and I'm free to look around way ahead for pleasures and also for up coming dangers, as the cars aren't trying to kill you, they really are and truly don't see you. And looking far ahead also is a big part of smoothing the ride as you aren't trying to correct for every movement real or perceived. Hope this helps, try it on a lonesome road with no traffic and soon it will become second nature as you have to retrain the brain!:D

pegasus1300
02-20-2018, 02:32 PM
So many threads about tires, windshields, alignments, shocks,
swaybars and more...
There are still a lot of us that are still uncomfortable with their Spyder especially at
highway speeds.
So...give us your best recipe that made your Spyder ryde as comfortable and smooth as possible!

I'm sorry Jeff,there is no secret sauce. It may have been easier for me because I came from 4 years on a Goldwing trike. I had already unlearned all my years of 2 wheel habits. I had my Spyder for over a year before I did laser alignment, Sway bar, or tires. I still took me a couple thousand miles to get really comfortable with the Spyder when I first started riding it. I can tell you that there comes a time when the "hunting" wont bother you any more,or may it never did hunt,or maybe it still hunts and I just don't care any more. I have ridden at 80mph for hundreds on miles in Wyoming,Montana and South Dakota. Being passed by or passing big trucks is not a problem to me. I find it very stable in cross winds. I bought my Spyder in June of 2015 and I have put 27000 miles on in that time.I would ride it anywhere at any speed. I also remember the 1st time I rode a Spyder I thought I was going all over the road. There is a learning curve and the only solution is time and miles. If you haven't done this have you front end checked out just to give you peace of mind that there are no mechanical problems and then just ride it.

I hope things work out for you and soon get to the point where it is all the fun you thought it was going to be.

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

You're probably correct...the real challenge is over 60mph!

Mad Mac
02-20-2018, 02:38 PM
I have to admit, when I first test rode an '11 RT (about 15 miles worth), I thought it was somewhat "darty". Considering I had, at the time 45 years worth of two-wheel experience, I caulked it up to that. When I took delivery of our '14, I rode it home from the dealer (about 120 miles) on curvy Natl. Forest paved roads, and said "damn this thing is really squirrelly". I spent the next couple of rides getting used to it and had about 2K miles on it before I made any modifications, I.E. tire pressure adjustments and a sway bar. Just those two modifications made a world of difference, the machine rode and handled much better for me. Being "twitchy" on the freeway at speed due to the differences in road surfaces, I feel is an inherent characteristic of the vehicle and it's something you learn to adapt to, and if you don't get used to the basic feel of the machine, you can spend a lot of $$$ and just be chasing your tail! Or you could just sell it if you feel unsafe and try something else. Good Luck!! Mac:doorag:
P.S. Luckily I rode snowmobiles for about 15 years, and riding a Spyder uses the same technique as a snowmobile in my opinion.

ARtraveler
02-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Time in the saddle. I took about 1500 miles before becoming comfortable.

Overcontrolling: If your knuckles are getting white and your hands starting to cramp--you may be overcontrolling.

I have mentioned a few times: Pretend there are eggs between the grips and your hands. Don't break the eggs. A light push/pull on the bars. Lean into the curves a bit. This reduces the "g" forces. Plant the outside foot on the pegs/floorboards. Grab the tank with your knees. If you have to brake for a curve--your entry speed is to fast. You should be able to accelerate slightly.

A laser alignment was helpful to both our :spyder:'s.

You may have a mental block when it comes to "over 60 mph." Don't think about it--just do it.

UtahPete
02-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Time in the saddle. I took about 1500 miles before becoming comfortable. Overcontrolling: If your knuckles are getting white and your hands starting to cramp--you may be overcontrolling. I have mentioned a few times: Pretend there are eggs between the grips and your hands. Don't break the eggs. A light push/pull on the bars. Lean into the curves a bit. This reduces the "g" forces. Plant the outside foot on the pegs/floorboards. Grab the tank with your knees. If you have to brake for a curve--your entry speed is to fast. You should be able to accelerate slightly. You may have a mental block when it comes to "over 60 mph." Don't think about it--just do it.
:agree: It's all in the ryder's head.

JayBros
02-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Still trying to figure out if the wind buffeting is causing the "twitchiness" or tires etc...
I did have the laser alignment and it made 0 difference to me. Still getting used to the Ryde, right at 1000 miles

I came to Spyderworld after a long two wheel hiatus and via a different route not worth detailing here. Safe it to say, I had absolutely no problem adjusting my RT; a 50-mile test ride convinced me it was the bike for me. Yes, I could have bought a Harley trike or a Gold Wing conversion but opted for the Spyder. As a result of a lot of reading here on SL I had a Bajaron sway bar installed by the dealership and the rolo laser alignment before I took possession. After a couple of weeks toodling around the countryside I headed for a local stretch of milti-lane interstate where the speed limit is 60 but if you're not doing almost 80 you get run over. I intentionally went looking for two semis with an open lane between them and ran right up to the tactor noses. Yes, I felt wind buffeting about my shoulders and upper torso but with a light grip on the bars the Spyder tracked like an arrow shot from a crossbow. IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars.

If you are uncertain about the stability of the Spyder itself find a long stretch of straight road and safely ride with hands off the bars. If the bike doesn't track perfectly straight take it back to the shop that did the laser alignment. If it's tires, I'm sorry, can't help. My crappy Kendas have performed well for me except for the shorter life of the rear tire that I will replace very soon with an Altimax; have never had a problem with the fronts.

I wish you'd said you have only a grand on the clock in your OP. Some folks take longer than others to get acclimated to a Spyder than others. It's nothing to worry about; just keep adding the miles and see what happens.

MR. H1956
02-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Don't worry time heals all. The best thing I've found is to go out early on Saturday or Sunday morning. Before a lot of traffic gets out and ride several roads. Just keep in mind on how the ride is going and how you are acting with or against the bike. Just remember that your on 3 wheels now that are wider and more prone to do different things at different times. No 2 roads are the same and no 2 bikes aren't either. You may travel the same strech of highway 10 times and you may find that the ride was not the same 8 out of 10 times. So just go out and have fun. Enjoy the ride. Happy Trails my Friend.

fjray
02-20-2018, 04:15 PM
I gave the 15RTL 15,000 miles and never made friends with it so re-homed it to someone else and went back to two wheels. We never got comfortable with the ride or the handling. Went through laser alignment,shock adj.,new tires on both ends, RDL seat and played with air pressure up and down the scale. I loved it in town and thought the sissy shift was the greatest thing going but as soon as I was in the twistys is handled like a truck. It's like drinking scotch as it is an acquired taste. I do like scotch but not so much the spyder. YMMV.

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 06:21 PM
I gave the 15RTL 15,000 miles and never made friends with it so re-homed it to someone else and went back to two wheels. We never got comfortable with the ride or the handling. Went through laser alignment,shock adj.,new tires on both ends, RDL seat and played with air pressure up and down the scale. I loved it in town and thought the sissy shift was the greatest thing going but as soon as I was in the twistys is handled like a truck. It's like drinking scotch as it is an acquired taste. I do like scotch but not so much the spyder. YMMV.
Do the sway bars really help on the highway or just on the curvy roads?
btw- I take it up to 85 mph to really get out of my comfort zone and it is feeling better as I log on the miles. I was just wondering if I needed to add a taller windshield or sway bar to enjoy the ryde more...

AeroPilot
02-20-2018, 06:48 PM
We had Rons Swaybar on our 2011 RT and it helped especially getting used to the corners or when pushing it faster. I would say that the Spyder will always have some "twitchiness" especially on uneven or worn roads, or when riding in buffeting conditions or when semis pass. Most of the comfort factor comes with getting some miles and learning to trust the stability of the machine. After a while each of us gets confidence in how the Spyder rides and how we can keep it on the road with little effort (Just like riding a bike, motorcycle or horse as others have mentioned). Part of my enjoyment of being in the Wind is that bit of wandering that is different from riding in a car and being isolated from the world. I do however like to have the windshield to keep most of the wind off (the 23" F4) is what we like on the F3T. I do like to look over the windshield on the RT. Different strokes, different folks. No matter what you like, hope you get to enjoy your time on three wheels and riding in the wind!

Mad Mac
02-20-2018, 07:01 PM
The sway bar I installed was Baja Ron's. The stock sway bar worked fine when it was just me riding it, but when two-up, the machine had too much body roll to the outside of turns for my liking, even if we were laying down "crotch rocket" style. It felt like the inside tire was going to go "airborne" although I knew it would not. I've only got about 19,000 mi. on it, but I ride it now without issue. I also have the stock height windshield and raise it so I can look over the top of it and not thru it, and I d/n get no more buffeting than I did with the Gold Wing's that I have owned. Good Luck! Mac:ohyea:

Yazz
02-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Who on this thread found an improvement with a taller windshield?
Does the windshield make for a better feel due to less wind buffeting or does it push the byke a little more??

The height of the windshield depends on how tall you are. Ideally, with a tall shield, it should come up to the middle of your nose, so you can peek over in the rain. There are shields made that flip the wind over your head, lessening the head buffet.

My GS has a BRP touring windshield and a shorty. The Spyder is stable with either shield.

Start this subject in a new thread and you'll get more help.

Get the sway bar first...

jaherbst
02-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Simple: Ron's Swaybar and Lazer Alignment.

Jack

pegasus1300
02-20-2018, 07:37 PM
I am 6' and still using the stock windshield. I bought my Spyder in June '15 and rode it to Sturgis in Aug '15. I did not have a taller windshield nor did I have Baja Ron's bar. I was just fine. I finally decided on the bar because the new car tire I put on for the trip allowed me to corner harder and the body roll was just too much. I put it on when I got back from Sturgis. In Sept '16 I went to Red Rock Spyder Rally and had it Laser aligned. By then I had put car tires on the fronts because the stock were wearing funny and I saw no sense doing an alignment with tires that were already showing signs of misalignment. They had plenty of tread at 20,000 miles but had worn funny.

Easy Rider
02-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Kindly do not impugn my questioning when I was simply asking the OP to give us an idea of just how many owners are unsatisfied with their Spyders.

And how exactly do you expect him to KNOW that ??

YOU can search this forum (and others if you want) to get that number yourself just as easy as he can.

There was a definite tone in the wording of your post that sounded like you were outright challenging his feeling that there are more than a few "new" riders who just don't seem to be getting much better over time. I share his feeling.......based on the number of posts made here to that effect.....and my guess that many are suffering in silence........and my personal experience so far.

And I am NOT a new rider.......FAR from it.

bcer960
02-20-2018, 08:07 PM
The sway bar I installed was Baja Ron's. The stock sway bar worked fine when it was just me riding, but when two-up, the machine had too much body roll to the outside of turns for my liking, even if we were laying down "crotch rocket" style. It felt like the inside tire was going to go "airborne" although I knew it would not.:ohyea:

The shock stiffeners for Doc Humphrey's took the roll out.

Ray

Easy Rider
02-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Get the sway bar first...

How does a stiffer sway bar help when most of the problem is when GOING STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD ??

I actually feel more stable going around corners and curves than when going straight.

bcer960
02-20-2018, 08:17 PM
How does a stiffer sway bar help when most of the problem is when GOING STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD ??

I actually feel more stable going around corners and curves than when going straight.

The sway bar will help with semi wind buffeting. It just stiffens up the bike.

Ray

JayBros
02-20-2018, 08:32 PM

Ray

Very much so IMO! I've ridden behind my son at high speed watching crosswinds blow his BMW1200GSA about and my RT just tracks along straight and undisturbed. I cannot say how my Spyder would behave with an OEM sway bar.

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 08:59 PM

I think you and I are on the same page! If I ever take the spyder to Central Fl,
maybe we can ryde together and try to figure it out lol...

Jeffmal
02-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Trying to get you an accurate number...really?

imfleck
02-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Well, at least that's how I did it. I rode my motorcycle 850 miles, traded it in for my Spyder, and then rode it back the same 850 miles. All highway miles.

Having never ridden a Spyder (15 mile test didn't count), and about 20 miles into my adventure home, I was convinced that I'd wasted $$$ on a toy that I would never be able to ride comfortably. HUGE cross-wind storm on the way home while traveling 80 MPH on the highway taught me that I COULD deal with the highway. Getting home and finally relaxing my butt cheeks a little I decided to finally read about my new Spyder.

I should have done my homework first, but now that I've dealt with it once and learned how to control the Spyder on the interstate I'm good to go! My best piece of advice is to just ride it and remove any pre-conceived notion you had/have about how it's supposed to ride.

Bob Denman
02-21-2018, 07:44 AM
We ALL come into the "Spyder Experience" with preconceived notions about what to expect. ;)
When they are proven wrong: all Hell breaks loose! :yikes:
The fact, is that nobody ever told you that these things handle like a motorcycle. nojoke
(If they did: I gonna turn them into the I.R.S. for a much-needed audit! :shocked:)
My first two miles on my original RT were freaky... I was all over the road; trying to make constant corrections to keep the damn thing straight. I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake! :gaah:
After I thought about it for a bit: I remembered that Ski Doo had no problem building sleds that tracked straight down the trails with nary a hint of wander...
So I took a deep breath, relaxed my grip...

...And the clouds parted! :yes::yes::yes:

Give ti some time, and quit whining about how your friends on "leaners" have no problems with cross-wind buffeting.

Highwayman2013
02-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Twitchy, alignment. Swaybar for better handling.

Highwayman2013
02-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Was it a laser alignment? Who did the alignment? We put the BRP Tallboy windshield on. I rode over 7,300 miles on our F3L last summer ( Las Vegas to Lake George, NY and back) and noticed no twichiness. Laser alignment by Squared Away, Bajaron swaybar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, 18 psi front Kenda tires, 22psi rear General Altimax tire. 30 psi in rear airbag. Currently at 18,500 miles.

Jeffmal
02-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Was it a laser alignment? Who did the alignment? We put the BRP Tallboy windshield on. I rode over 7,300 miles on our F3L last summer ( Las Vegas to Lake George, NY and back) and noticed no twichiness. Laser alignment by Squared Away, Bajaron swaybar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, 18 psi front Kenda tires, 22psi rear General Altimax tire. 30 psi in rear airbag. Currently at 18,500 miles.

Alignment was done by Tricled with a small out of the box setup.
I don't know what the setup is supposed to look like but I am assuming these guys are doing it correct (hopefully).
My arms are relaxed while ryding, I'm thinking it may be due to wind buffeting at the higher speeds as I do have the short, stock windshield.
I just wasn't sure if the taller windshield will move the bike more even though it's diminishing the wind hitting me...

Lew L
02-21-2018, 11:07 AM

A proper windshield vent moves the buffeting zone above the rider. The windshield WILL cause turbulence in the air flow , ALSO a low pressure area behind it. A $50 Gold wing vent installed in a stock windshield fills the low pressure area and pushes it above the rider ( and passenger, according to my wife)

Its just simple aerodynamics.

Lew L

Jimboregon
02-21-2018, 11:16 AM
You're probably correct...the real challenge is over 60mph!

What made a huge difference for me was the realization that the Spyder comes with Power Steering!! Never rode a 2-wheeler with Power Steering..... I'm now over 15,000.

azprince
02-21-2018, 11:47 AM

The additions of sway bar, tires, grips, windshield are not helpful, if you don't follow this advice, from an earlier post:

IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars. very simple.
RELAX!:)

Easy Rider
02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
I think you and I are on the same page! If I ever take the spyder to Central Fl,
maybe we can ryde together and try to figure it out lol...

I plan to be in Homestead around Oct. 15 this year.

SpyderAnn01
02-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Alignment was done by Tricled with a small out of the box setup.
I don't know what the setup is supposed to look like but I am assuming these guys are doing it correct (hopefully).
My arms are relaxed while ryding, I'm thinking it may be due to wind buffeting at the higher speeds as I do have the short, stock windshield.
I just wasn't sure if the taller windshield will move the bike more even though it's diminishing the wind hitting me...

I don’t know how tall you are but the top of your windshield should be even with your nose. Too high and you will be buffeted from behind. Too low and you’ll feel a lot of pressure on your chest. TricLED uses the Rolo Laser Alignment system, which is the best one so I’m sure your alignment is good. You need a BajaRon Sway Bar and the ”twitchy” will go away.

Easy Rider
02-21-2018, 12:10 PM
The additions of sway bar, tires, grips, windshield are not helpful, if you don't follow this advice, from an earlier post:

IMO, your arms from shoulders to fingertips need to be fully relaxed or any movement in them will be transmitted to the handlebars. very simple.
RELAX!:)

Well that is no doubt good advice......to a point.....based on a LOT of input on here and my own personal experience.............
BUT..........

I've been riding mine whenever practical with only one of two fingers lightly on the bars; sometimes one side or the other and sometimes both sides.
That seems to eliminate about 80% of the problem, just guessing at a number.

But the remaining 20% still is downright unsettling when it unexpectedly darts to one side with no input on the bars at all.
Sometimes it's windy, sometimes not. Sometimes passing traffic, sometimes not.
Often an uneven road surface but not always.

In short, minimizing your bar input is critical but it is not the ONLY factor at work.

I kind of doubt that windshield height will do much because my RT has a movable shield......with a "Goldwing vent"....... and shield position doesn't seem to make any difference.

Easy Rider
02-21-2018, 12:12 PM
You need a BajaRon Sway Bar and the ”twitchy” will go away.

Will you provide a refund if it doesn't ??? ;)

Mad Mac
02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
The shock stiffeners for Doc Humphrey's took the roll out.

Ray
I just replaced the complete sway-bar w/ the hardened links because from reading this site it seemed that was going to be the "cure" I was looking for. Mac:doorag:

Mad Mac
02-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Ray
TOTALY:agree: with above statement. I noticed the machine d/n "rock" as much. Mac:doorag:

bcer960
02-21-2018, 01:25 PM
I just replaced the complete sway-bar w/ the hardened links because from reading this site it seemed that was going to be the "cure" I was looking for. Mac:doorag:

Have you taken it out yet for a ride? You will notice a difference. In my case, I just found that it took both the sway bar and the shock stiffeners to get it so there was no more roll in the curves. But again, this is in a 2-up situation.

Mad Mac
02-21-2018, 01:37 PM
I would figure that since you ride an F3, if you are suffering "buffeting" as you describe, Either you need to ride it more and become more accustomed to it or you do have a "mechanical" issue. Looking at the F3 with it's lower C.G. and stretched-out rider position, I would think it would be more stabile than a lot of us that ride the RT style of :spyder:, because we sit up higher in the saddle and wind would have more of an adverse effect on our machines than your style of Spyder. Don't know, just say'n . Again, Good Luck! Mac:doorag:

Mad Mac
02-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Have you taken it out yet for a ride? You will notice a difference. In my case, I just found that it took both the sway bar and the shock stiffeners to get it so there was no more roll in the curves. But again, this is in a 2-up situation.

Yes, I have 17K with the new sway-bar(I installed it the first year I owned it) and am quite satisfied with the outcome. As we have been discussing in this thread, Spyder's are "quirky" machines, you either like them or you don't. I have owned enough quirky recreational vehicles that I know you either adapt or get something else. I had a Kaw ZX11 back in the day, and I could only ride it 60 miles and then I had to get off of it for about 30 min. before I could get back on again, fast as heck, handled fantastic, but a touring bike it was NOT!! So I got rid of it. Mac:doorag:

Easy Rider
02-21-2018, 03:56 PM

Well.......was it what you hoped for ?
And what DID you hope for ??

Jeffmal
02-21-2018, 04:08 PM
The results please...

Highwayman2013
02-21-2018, 04:11 PM
The results please... Scroll up^^^^^^^^^

Mad Mac
02-21-2018, 04:32 PM
YES it was! I don't think it's absolutely the best "motorcycle" I have ever ridden, but for what it is, it does what I need it to do and I can accept that. I have not been in any "panic" situations but it's handled any "close calls" just fine and I have not had to go to the E.R. to have them pull any seat material out of anyplace it shouldn't be!:joke:Mac

Easy Rider
02-22-2018, 09:07 AM
YES it was!

Generalities don't help.

What WAS your main complaint to start with........and how is it better now ??

Are there any of the "unique" ride characteristics that it did NOT help ??

Little Blue
02-22-2018, 10:56 AM
There is a learning process for the Spyder. Maybe like learning to play 'Golf or Tennis'. Some things come easy. Some things take more time. Try it and just do it at a comfortable pace for YOU. :coffee: I have learned to enjoy my RYDE and YES it was a learning Process. For me, I ryde at my own pace. :thumbup: PS: GOOD LUCK in what ever YOU Decide.

Jeffmal
02-22-2018, 11:07 AM
There is a learning process for the Spyder. Maybe like learning to play 'Golf or Tennis'. Some things come easy. Some things take more time. Try it and just do it at a comfortable pace for YOU. :coffee: I have learned to enjoy my RYDE and YES it was a learning Process. For me, I ryde at my own pace. :thumbup: PS: GOOD LUCK in what ever YOU Decide.
I personally would love to see the problem you encountered and what you added to alleviate or eliminate issue and how it worked out.....
thanks for all the good feedback! I feel like Dr. Phil!!

mavrik
02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
well...it starts off with 3 eggs and some bread crumbs....oh wait wrong forum...hahha:rolleyes:

Mad Mac
02-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Generalities don't help.

What WAS your main complaint to start with........and how is it better now ??

Are there any of the "unique" ride characteristics that it did NOT help ??

Read post #28. I think I had said what the issue I was having and what I did to fix it, I thought it was obvious, but maybe not. The sway-bar "stiffened" the "front end", it made the machine have less "body-roll" or "less tippy", more "planted", in turns and more stabile in straight line riding (less of the rocking sensation when a gust of wind hits you from any angle. I hope I covered the "cause and effect" of this particular "fix'. I have never ridden the new F3, but have sat on a few, until the wife made me get off and took my phone away so I couldn't call the bank, since I am the "impulse" buyer of our family! Hope this helps. Mac:doorag:

Easy Rider
02-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Read post #28.

and more stabile in straight line riding (less of the rocking sensation when a gust of wind hits you from any angle.

I just did. There was no mention of any "straight line" improvement........but there is now.

I don't get any "rocking sensation" when going straight. It feels like it is shifting sideways under me a tiny bit.......but enough to be disconcerting.

Mad Mac
02-22-2018, 08:26 PM
I just did. There was no mention of any "straight line" improvement........but there is now.

I don't get any "rocking sensation" when going straight. It feels like it is shifting sideways under me a tiny bit.......but enough to be disconcerting.

Is it a constant "shifting" motion or does it feel like it's "sideways" all the time? If it's a "sideways" all the time thing, an alignment is probably going to have to be re-done since you said it was done once already. The "shifting" could be the road surface acting upon the tires. That's the best I can do for you at this time. Hope all of this helps and hope you get it figured out. Mac:doorag:

Easy Rider
02-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Is it a constant "shifting" motion or does it feel like it's "sideways" all the time? If it's a "sideways" all the time thing, an alignment is probably going to have to be re-done since you said it was done once already. The "shifting" could be the road surface acting upon the tires. That's the best I can do for you at this time. Hope all of this helps and hope you get it figured out. Mac:doorag:

I never said it has had an alignment; it hasn't.

It will be going down the road just fine, sometimes for long stretches, and then just suddenly feels like it is darting to the side slightly.......with no apparent external input.

I suspect it's road surface and poor tread design. If the rear tries to follow a ridge......or "falls off" of one.....I think that's the feeling I'm getting.

I think upping the pressures a little will be my next experiment.

I'm not opposed to spending some money to fix this........but I AM opposed to throwing money away on things that aren't likely to work.

I do NOT have this problem when turning or going around curves at speed.......unless the road surface is really BAD.

Bob Denman
02-23-2018, 09:09 AM
An alignment will help to make your tires wear more evenly (and last longer.).
It's a quick and relatively cheap process to have done, and positive results are felt immediately.
(Although I almost suspect that some of your lane movement has a bit to do with the highway crown...)
Ron's anti-swaybar: I put one on my 2010, and it railed around corners like a slot car on steroids. :bowdown:
I never put one on my 2014... but I DID notice that it wasn't quite as sharp in the corners...
So I've got one on my 2018, and am waiting for the weather to clear up so that I can get it properly aligned.

Lew L
02-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Yes, I have 17K with the new sway-bar(I installed it the first year I owned it) and am quite satisfied with the outcome. As we have been discussing in this thread, Spyder's are "quirky" machines, you either like them or you don't. I have owned enough quirky recreational vehicles that I know you either adapt or get something else. I had a Kaw ZX11 back in the day, and I could only ride it 60 miles and then I had to get off of it for about 30 min. before I could get back on again, fast as heck, handled fantastic, but a touring bike it was NOT!! So I got rid of it. Mac:doorag:

Hay Mac,

I used to have a ZX-11 also. I made brackets to lower the foot pegs an inch and bought a bar raising kit. With a double bubble shield all was good for a tour. Had saddle bags, Corbin seat, and a tank bag. Pumped up the motor a bit also. Never should have sold it. Now a have a old , slow V-max for when I feel the need for light speed.( V-boost is a blast)

Lew L

Mad Mac
02-23-2018, 01:52 PM
I never said it has had an alignment; it hasn't.

It will be going down the road just fine, sometimes for long stretches, and then just suddenly feels like it is darting to the side slightly.......with no apparent external input.

I suspect it's road surface and poor tread design. If the rear tries to follow a ridge......or "falls off" of one.....I think that's the feeling I'm getting.

I think upping the pressures a little will be my next experiment.

I'm not opposed to spending some money to fix this........but I AM opposed to throwing money away on things that aren't likely to work.

I do NOT have this problem when turning or going around curves at speed.......unless the road surface is really BAD.

It does sound like more of a tire issue, even though our tires really don't have any "ribs" in them (stock Kenda's). My RT will "dart" on occasion but I've noticed it was the road surface. I could ride with "no-hands" farther on my Gold Wing's then I can with the Spyder, but I'm sure that has to do more with the contact patch of the machine. I really am not trying to be an A%$, but have you noticed if your rear axle/wheel has been shifting in any direction (possibly loose axle?)? I say this because it would not have to move much to make the machine "jerk". Try looking at your belt and see if it is in the same place on the pulley when you stop or if the clearance against the flange has increased or decreased. P.S. make sure you push the machine fwd a small ways to make sure the belt travel on the pulley is neutralized, for lack of a better word. I find when my belt is adjusted correctly, and if I let it roll backwards, the belt will shift, then when I roll it fwd, it rides where I adjusted it, probably due to the belt's length?? I do hope you can get it worked out because once you get it sorted out, the Spyder is fun to ride and enjoyable. Mac:doorag:

Mad Mac
02-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Hay Mac,

I used to have a ZX-11 also. I made brackets to lower the foot pegs an inch and bought a bar raising kit. With a double bubble shield all was good for a tour. Had saddle bags, Corbin seat, and a tank bag. Pumped up the motor a bit also. Never should have sold it. Now a have a old , slow V-max for when I feel the need for light speed.( V-boost is a blast)

Lew L
Wasn't that bike a "HOOT"!! (80 mph in 1st gear!) I left mine stock except for a tail bag and tank bag. The tank bag was mainly to lay my chest on as I could take weight off of my wrists. I did have a "kerker" exhaust on it, and yeh, you could hear it coming or going! Man, makes me feel freak'n old trying to remember the "good ole days". Mac:doorag:

Lew L
02-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Wasn't that bike a "HOOT"!! (80 mph in 1st gear!) I left mine stock except for a tail bag and tank bag. The tank bag was mainly to lay my chest on as I could take weight off of my wrists. I did have a "kerker" exhaust on it, and yeh, you could hear it coming or going! Man, makes me feel freak'n old trying to remember the "good ole days". Mac:doorag:

Yes it was!!! I piped and jetted it with a modified air box and intake defuser. Also added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket. Really pissed off a bunch of bikes that were supposedly faster. I could probably only hit 75 in first but it would loft the front wheel in second if I wasn't leaning well forward. Yes it was a HOOT!!!!

Lew L

Mad Mac
02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Yes it was!!! I piped and jetted it with a modified air box and intake defuser. Also added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket. Really pissed off a bunch of bikes that were supposedly faster. I could probably only hit 75 in first but it would loft the front wheel in second if I wasn't leaning well forward. Yes it was a HOOT!!!!

Lew L

WE just had to go there, didn't we!!! Yes, I jetted and K&N'd mine, but that was it. Was sure fun to "scream" around on, wasn't it?? I could NOT ride that type of bike again if I had to, But I was glad to have had the opportunity and that chapter of my life. NO regrets! Mac:thumbup:

Easy Rider
02-23-2018, 04:27 PM
(Although I almost suspect that some of your lane movement has a bit to do with the highway crown...)

I think you are close to something there.
Asphalt tends to "flow" under heat and pressure......in places like Florida especially.
That tends to put a "crown" in the middle of each lane right about where the back wheel runs most of the time.
Or if you ride a bit off center, the back wheel would be on the side of that little hill.
I doubt that can be eliminated totally without adding or subtracting one wheel. ;)

Easy Rider
02-23-2018, 04:36 PM
even though our tires really don't have any "ribs" in them (stock Kenda's).

I could ride with "no-hands" farther on my Gold Wing's then I can with the Spyder, but I'm sure that has to do more with the contact patch of the machine.

All honest thoughts are appreciated.......except those that imply that it's all in my head and I just need to get over it. :p

I don't know what you mean by "ribs" but mine certainly do have grooves near the center which are essentially un-broken and on a real motorcycle that can be REALLY bad. Those grooves try to follow ridges in the pavement and sometimes even cracks, no matter what you are doing with the bars.

Once you understand that a motorcycle really is steered by weight shift and leaning (initiated by counter-steer at speed) and the gyroscopic forces from the LARGE wheels and tires, you can better appreciate why "no hands" is pretty easy. NONE of those factors apply with 3 wheels.

Mad Mac
02-23-2018, 04:46 PM
All honest thoughts are appreciated.......except those that imply that it's all in my head and I just need to get over it. :p

I don't know what you mean by "ribs" but mine certainly do have grooves near the center which are essentially un-broken and on a real motorcycle that can be REALLY bad. Those grooves try to follow ridges in the pavement and sometimes even cracks, no matter what you are doing with the bars.

Once you understand that a motorcycle really is steered by weight shift and leaning (initiated by counter-steer at speed) and the gyroscopic forces from the LARGE wheels and tires, you can better appreciate why "no hands" is pretty easy. NONE of those factors apply with 3 wheels.

I might have used the rib definition incorrectly, but your description is correct and I do understand the "counter" steering of a two wheeled vehicle I.E. push-pull technique, or I have been doing it wrong for almost 47 years ( let go of the handle bars and wiggle your butt and see how fast you head for the ditch!). I was just trying to provide the OP with some possible places to look for issues. Without riding the OP's machine, it's hard to trouble shoot any type of issues. I still feel it's a "road" problem. Just say'n! Mac:dontknow:

Lew L
02-23-2018, 05:48 PM
A few of the roads here in Nevada are 2 lane and crowned in the center. When SAFE----I can put the :spyder2: in the center of the road and take my hands off the bars with no drift either way. It tracks straight and true. Yes----- air pressure is the same on both tires ( to a tenth of a PSI) and it has been Squared Away ( Thanks Joe and Anne). Our roads out in the west aren't the greatest but ya have to get off the beaten track to get a bad one.

Also, NO helmet buffeting with a vented windshieldnojoke

Good luck in you quest to fine peace with your :spyder2:.

Lew L

Jeffmal
02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
I’m gong to install the Baja Ron anti sway bars within a week to see if that settles down some of the twitchiness from wind buffeting, etc..
I’m not so sure it’s going to make a big difference on the f3t. I really don’t do the twisties in south Fl but maybe will hit them some day!