PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Lids I am torn...

MOSESS
02-19-2018, 09:31 AM
I am thinking of getting a new lid and I am torn between the HJC jet and the shoei. If its out there I know you guys would know thanks. I will also be mounting sena 20 units both.

Bob Denman
02-19-2018, 10:45 AM
:D Happy hunting! :thumbup:
Will you be taking your head to a store, and actually trying on the leading contestants? :dontknow:

Jeffmal
02-19-2018, 11:12 AM
I am thinking of getting a new lid and I am torn between the HJC jet and the shoei. If its out there I know you guys would know thanks. I will also be mounting sena 20 units both.

I recently had the same dilemma. After extensive research regarding safety, comfort, price, etc...
I opted for the Shoei Neotech. Although it was fairly pricey, I figured it was worth the investment in the long run.
The only issue I had was the padding was squeezing my cheek which I remedied by putting something in the helmet for a couple days which made the padding
less fluffy. The helmet is super comfortable and I love the modular design and all of the built in goodies...
Check it out, I love it!
Good Luck on your search.

Bob Denman
02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
NOT to rain on your Parade :shocked:...

But I'd feel as if I wasn't doing my job; if I didn't post this;

Ignore it or not: the choice is yours to make.

MOSESS
02-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the reply, I presently own a neotec and love it, Bob great info and that's why I am asking these questions. So from what I am getting here is stay with a full face.

Mad Mac
02-19-2018, 12:39 PM
I prefer a 3/4 helmet with a short visor, when the weather cooperates. Due to the humidity here in Wisc. during the summer, it makes wearing one for the day much nicer. But I have to admit that I also wear a full-face when I'm on a trip and it starts to rain to somewhat keep my glasses drier and to also keep the rain from pelting the heck out of me. When I'm on a trip, I usually tow my trailer and I keep one in a helmet bag and one on my head and swap out as weather permits. My wife has a Shoei 3/4 type helmet but it has a full face shield with a drop-down sun visor, and she prefers that because she feels claustrophobic in a full-face style helmet. From what I have seen in the motorcycle apparel mags, that their is quite the selection of helmets and I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs and looks good to boot! Mac:doorag:

2dogs
02-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Try the Shark Evo option.

Bob Denman
02-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Thank you for the reply, I presently own a neotec and love it, Bob great info and that's why I am asking these questions. So from what I am getting here is stay with a full face.

I'm not saying anything: I just wanted to give you a little bit more information. :thumbup:
No judgement...

AY4B
02-19-2018, 01:26 PM
I recently had the same dilemma. After extensive research regarding safety, comfort, price, etc...
I opted for the Shoei Neotech. Although it was fairly pricey, I figured it was worth the investment in the long run.
The only issue I had was the padding was squeezing my cheek which I remedied by putting something in the helmet for a couple days which made the padding
less fluffy. The helmet is super comfortable and I love the modular design and all of the built in goodies...
Check it out, I love it!
Good Luck on your search.

Me too! I really wanted the Shoei Neotech but having just getting a new Spyder and having to equip it with all the essentials farckles, I went for the HJC Modular to save a little cash. The cheek pads are also a little tight but they say to get it that way. It will break in. I went with the Sena 30K though.

SpyderAnn01
02-19-2018, 01:27 PM

It will make communicating on your Sena much clearer if you have a modular. It is hard to cut out the wind noise on a 3/4. Have you looked at those helmets that have the removable chin bar? They aren't cheap but would allow you to go with the 3/4 feel when you want and the full face/modular at other times. I think BRP has one.

Merlot2015
02-19-2018, 01:45 PM
We prefer modulars as well. :thumbup: I love my Shoei neotec and the wife prefers her Scorpion Exo 950. We wouldn’t leave home without them!:lecturef_smilie:

ARtraveler
02-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Nolan Modulars here. I have a total of eight Nolans. Started with the full faces and have worked our way to the Modulars. That is what we are now comfortable with. The latest--purchased last year have the N-com systems instead of Sena. We prefer the Sena for more clear and longer communication distance. The helmets are great. Neither one of us use the chin bars. :yes:

Fire34
02-19-2018, 02:19 PM
When we purchased our 2013 RTL our dealer had Nolans. We went with the N40 fulls which have the removable chin guards, ventilation could be a little better though but not bad. Like other posters here we use the chin guards on longer trips. We got 20% off thru our dealer but they were still a little pricey. Our salesman upgraded us to the Nolan B5 intercoms we love them also
Dave

It will make communicating on your Sena much clearer if you have a modular. It is hard to cut out the wind noise on a 3/4. Have you looked at those helmets that have the removable chin bar? They aren't cheap but would allow you to go with the 3/4 feel when you want and the full face/modular at other times. I think BRP has one.

Chupaca
02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
I have found the modular helmets work best for me and the wife. Closed up to full face when on the freeway at speeds and open on the curvy mountain road...But each ryder must find what makes them happy and safe....:thumbup:

sandeejs
02-19-2018, 04:16 PM

I have the HJC Jet, and was wearing it during my recent crash. Bought another one. It couldn't do anything to prevent the broken ribs; I did have a mild concussion, probably would have been a lot worse without a helmet.

What I like about this helmet:
The shield is full sized, goes down to the chin, provides a lot of face protection.
The built in sunscreen is very useful. I didn't think I'd find this helpful, but it really works. One less thing to remember.

I bought it in yellow. My friend who likes to ride behind (WAY behind) in group rides says she can always find me.

In the summer, the ventilation is fine. I have yet to figure out how to install air conditioning on the Spyder, so good ventilation while moving is the best I can do. There's a couple of vents on the helmet, opening them is easy.

I was able to get this at my local shop. Not very expensive, only a little more then the internet.

There's really no negatives about this helmet for me. I don't use Sena or anything like that, so I can't rate how well that works. It is good for sticking my earbuds in my ears and listening to my own particular form of "music".

Good luck in your search.

~Sandee~

ofdave
02-19-2018, 05:00 PM

excellent point
A 3/4 helmet is too dangerous for this old head.

johnsimion
02-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Comfort is critical and I don't think you can fully appreciate the comfort of a helmet from trying it on for 15 minutes in the store. I learned this the hard way; I bought an HJC because it looked good and felt good in the store. After an hour's ride, though, I'd have a splitting headache and big red mark on my forehead. I later learned that I have a long oval shaped head and HJC usually makes helmets for folks with round (Earth) shaped heads. That's no slap at HJC, that's just the shape they choose to make and it probably fits people with Earth-shaped heads just great. Hence I'd recommend you spend some time on WebBikeWorld and RevZilla concerning helmets and head shape. I ended up going with Arai and it's very comfortable for me because Arai's helmets are for people with long oval-shaped heads. As I understand it, Shoeis come in several different shapes, mostly for oval-shaped heads but perhaps not "long oval" like Arai. I also have to agree with the recommendation for a full-face helmet, not just for the added protection but because your communicator will work better.

MOSESS
02-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Wow lots of info. I am heading to a shop here in nj tomorrow and check out a few. I am also going to buy from a local dealer. just so I can do my part to keep these guys in business. I figure a bit more research is needed.

C. Lee
02-19-2018, 07:26 PM
We've been searching for helmets also. It's difficult as not many places by us have any selection of 3/4 helmets. So when we attended the motorcycle show in January we found all the brand's to try on. I thought the shoei was the ticket until I came across the Aria CTZ model. That's what we decided to buy. They're about the same money as Shoei too. I really liked the fit and so did my SO. In other helmets I've felt like my ears were being smashed against my head but not with the Arai's, nice ear pockets and good spaces for communication systems. Good luck with your search. Chris

Willy057
02-19-2018, 07:36 PM
In selecting a helmet, there is one question you have to ask yourself..........what is your head worth?

jaherbst
02-19-2018, 08:38 PM

As you can see by Bob's illustration most impact is on the chin and face area in M/C accidents. A fellow Pilot and Classmate of mine had a terrible accident with his son on the back. Car made a left hand turn and he broadsided it. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet and spent the next 6 months in the hospital while they built a new jaw with teeth a little at a time. I would never ever wear anything but a full face helmet or let a passenger do so. Small inconvenience for the safety it provides. His son went over the car and did survive with near fatal injuries.

Please reconsider. Thanks Bob for the study/illustration.

​Jack

Mach123
02-19-2018, 11:15 PM
As you can see by Bob's illustration most impact is on the chin and face area in M/C accidents. A fellow Pilot and Classmate of mine had a terrible accident with his son on the back. Car made a left hand turn and he broadsided it. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet and spent the next 6 months in the hospital while they built a new jaw with teeth a little at a time. I would never ever wear anything but a full face helmet or let a passenger do so. Small inconvenience for the safety it provides. His son went over the car and did survive with near fatal injuries.

Please reconsider. Thanks Bob for the study/illustration.

​Jack

hi guys/gals
i have been reading lots, but after this comment I had to post. I would agree 100% on a full face also as I had an bike accident 20 yrs ago with a car and only part that was ok was my head as body was 80% road rash, 12 months in hospital 37 operations lower right leg amputation and helmet was trashed but not even a head concussion. So wife will let me buy a spyder now and so I bought the Daytona 500 and will also be looking at a great full face and hand brake as it was right leg amputated. So yes the head is worth saving....great site and maybe 1day run into a few people on spiders....👍🏻

PW2013STL
02-20-2018, 01:28 AM
We've been searching for helmets also. It's difficult as not many places by us have any selection of 3/4 helmets. So when we attended the motorcycle show in January we found all the brand's to try on. I thought the shoei was the ticket until I came across the Aria CTZ model. That's what we decided to buy. They're about the same money as Shoei too. I really liked the fit and so did my SO. In other helmets I've felt like my ears were being smashed against my head but not with the Arai's, nice ear pockets and good spaces for communication systems. Good luck with your search. Chris

I agree 100%. The Aria CTZ is what we have and the fit and finish is second to none.

Bob Denman
02-20-2018, 07:40 AM

DDT
02-20-2018, 08:36 AM
We were going to go to a 3/4 but after seeing Bob's picture we decided to stay with a modular.

2dogs
02-20-2018, 01:07 PM

That's the Shark helmet.

Peteoz
02-20-2018, 04:52 PM
We were going to go to a 3/4 but after seeing Bob's picture we decided to stay with a modular.

Don’t just go by Bob’s picture to make that call, DDT. That is a very old research paper, and there is a lot more recent research that calls it into question. Do some of your own research. I was going to go modular or full face after seeing that picture, but further research showed me (and I stress “ME”, not necessarily “YOU”), that the new 3/4 helmets with the extended chin guards and full length visors provided both protection and improved vision that I was happy with. I would never ride in one of the old fashioned 3/4 helmets, but the Arai CTZ, the Schuberth and the Shoei 3/4 are a different item altogether.
Pete157950

Peteoz
02-20-2018, 04:54 PM
p.s. I have never had any trouble communication via my Sena or my Uclear using either the Schuberth or Shoei 3/4 helmets.

Pete

M109Dreamer
02-20-2018, 05:11 PM
I have had this one for 5 years and will be replacing it with another one this season. Its not as quiet as my full face but in the summer I like being able to run a 3/4 without the chin piece sticking in the air and pushing my head around. And when I get caught in weather, I can just flip the chin piece over and lock it down.

https://us.shark-helmets.com/collections/evoline-series-3

Peteoz
02-20-2018, 06:02 PM
I have had this one for 5 years and will be replacing it with another one this season. Its not as quiet as my full face but in the summer I like being able to run a 3/4 without the chin piece sticking in the air and pushing my head around. And when I get caught in weather, I can just flip the chin piece over and lock it down.

https://us.shark-helmets.com/collections/evoline-series-3

Yeah, in my opinion, the smartest helmet ever made, M109:thumbup:. Unfortunately, they changed the headshape between the series 2 and the series 3, and the 3 was too tight in the largest size they make.....bugger.....

Pete

JP58
02-20-2018, 07:01 PM
I have a shoei j-cruise. It's a nice fit and comfortable. Also my sena 20s fits good. The shield go's way down low so mike on sena is good. Has built in sun visor. I do have a taller recurve windshield on my RTS.

jaherbst
02-20-2018, 07:40 PM
A little common sense goes a long way. The 3/4 with the face Shield is also not very safe. Ask someone who has actually had an accident with one. When doing a face plant or "Cranial Perch" the helmet/helmut will always violently tilt forward and the bottom of the shield will dig into your throat. Even if it does not cut your throat it will do severe damage to your "adams apple" and windpipe.

With three emergency Doctors in my immediate family I always get the weekly report on motorcycle accidents, helmets and deaths. I don't ask for these but they never pass up a chance to point this out.

Life itself is a risk and riding M/C's for me is part of it. Why not be as safe as you can so you can come home to those who love you most.

Jack

MOSESS
02-20-2018, 08:11 PM
common sense or a preference. from reading all the posts there are some that feel a full safe is the best way to go based on safety and there are those that feel the 3/4 is a very good solution for them. in the summer I can see why one would go with a 3/4. the rest of the year a full face is the only option. okay after 3 hours in a shop trying on lids I am was tired and still could not decide.

loisk
02-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Best tip I was given was to try on a helmet in store, and leave it on - walk around for half an hour.

Ignoring this has left me with many uncomfortable helmets on my shelf ...

Following this has led to many "essential" purchases whilst walking around the store ...:shocked::sour::sour:

Peteoz
02-21-2018, 01:27 AM
A little common sense goes a long way. The 3/4 with the face Shield is also not very safe. Ask someone who has actually had an accident with one. When doing a face plant or "Cranial Perch" the helmet/helmut will always violently tilt forward and the bottom of the shield will dig into your throat. Even if it does not cut your throat it will do severe damage to your "adams apple" and windpipe.

With three emergency Doctors in my immediate family I always get the weekly report on motorcycle accidents, helmets and deaths. I don't ask for these but they never pass up a chance to point this out.

Life itself is a risk and riding M/C's for me is part of it. Why not be as safe as you can so you can come home to those who love you most.

Jack

I really would like to see examples of your quoted “cutting your throat” or “damaging your windpipe” occurrences, Jack. With your head bent forward at its maximum angle, the bottom of the Shoei 3/4 shield actually rests on your breastbone, way below your throat and wind pipe.......and a full face and modular helmet rests in exactly the same position, so they, with the firm bottom edge, would also impact your breastbone. I have never seen any examples of that in any of the research I have done.....and I have done plenty. That’s not to say that under some bizarre circumstance it hasn’t happened, but under bizarre circumstances, full face helmets have caused severe neck injuries.

I stress that I am not talking about the old fashioned 3/4 helmets here, but the newer, extended cheekguard models. Maybe we should call them 7/8 helmets.

The 7/8 helmets provide me with significantly better vision (and I believe better vision on a motorbike is always safer vision) than full face helmets, and with the jury still out on exactly whether a full face is better than a 7/8 in preventing head trauma occasioning death, I do indeed believe I am indeed being “as safe as I can”, despite your intimation that using anything other than a full face or modular is not using “common sense”.

Pete

Bob Denman
02-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Best tip I was given was to try on a helmet in store, and leave it on - walk around for half an hour.

Ignoring this has left me with many uncomfortable helmets on my shelf ...

Following this has led to many "essential" purchases whilst walking around the store ...:shocked::sour::sour:

But were the Store Security personnel keeping a close eye on you?? :D

andytexas
02-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Here's another take on helmets I'm going to be 74 shortly and have been riding since I was 13. I spent a lot of time riding you know fun in the sun and live in south Texas and can ride everyday. I used mostly 3/4 helmets. My doctor noticed 5 spots of cancer on my face (you know fun in the sun). She recommended that I switch to a full face or modular.

Bob Denman
02-21-2018, 08:28 AM
I'm not saying that you're gonna leak all of your brains out through an ear-hole; if you don't wear a Snell Approved full-face helmet...

And I'm not saying that the aforementioned helmet will protect you from any and all harm...

But I AM saying that you should probably pick out a helmet that fits you comfortably.. and wear it! :thumbup:

jaherbst
02-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Well let's start at the beginning. Any helmet is safer than no helmet, right? Ever wonder why all the pro-racers both motorcycle and auto never wear anything but full face helmets. Their is a reason. They of course crash more often. You should be able to read between the lines. Comfort vs Safety is probably what this is all about. The choice is yours. Ain't it nice to ride in a free country!

Jack

jaherbst
02-21-2018, 10:05 AM
I really would like to see examples of your quoted “cutting your throat” or “damaging your windpipe” occurrences, Jack. With your head bent forward at its maximum angle, the bottom of the Shoei 3/4 shield actually rests on your breastbone, way below your throat and wind pipe.......and a full face and modular helmet rests in exactly the same position, so they, with the firm bottom edge, would also impact your breastbone. I have never seen any examples of that in any of the research I have done.....and I have done plenty. That’s not to say that under some bizarre circumstance it hasn’t happened, but under bizarre circumstances, full face helmets have caused severe neck injuries.

I stress that I am not talking about the old fashioned 3/4 helmets here, but the newer, extended cheekguard models. Maybe we should call them 7/8 helmets.

The 7/8 helmets provide me with significantly better vision (and I believe better vision on a motorbike is always safer vision) than full face helmets, and with the jury still out on exactly whether a full face is better than a 7/8 in preventing head trauma occasioning death, I do indeed believe I am indeed being “as safe as I can”, despite your intimation that using anything other than a full face or modular is not using “common sense”.

Pete

Pete, simply visit any emergency room and discuss this with any Emergency Room Doctor. Emergency Medicine is a specialty and they see it all. Ask them about which helmet they would recommend. You probably already know the answer.

​Jack

Lew L
02-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Full or Modular----- " Never leave home without one"

Lew L

PS: I do wear a 3/4 helmet when I ski.nojoke​

wyliec
02-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Pete

Pete,

You may find this quote interesting, from an article I found:

"Helmet usage itself does not preclude the occurrence of the coup-contrecoup type brain injury that is suffered in most head injuries. This paper presents an overview of the anatomy of the brain and mechanisms of head injury in non-technical terms to provide an understanding of this problem. As motorcycling comes under closer scrutiny this information will be needed to answer to those who would place unreasonable restriction on motorcycling."

In case you're not familiar with coup and counter-coup which ends up being a TBI (traumatic brain injury), coup is the impact site where your brain hits the skull first, and counter-coup is the opposite site where your brain swings back and hits the skull. So, what you have said that I have bolded makes sense. However, there are other factors in play here like facial damage, to name one. I'm sorry, I didn't go back and read every post, so facial damage may have been mentioned. All that being said, I wear a full face, and make my gf wear one, or don't ride. As for preaching to others, wear whatever you want. I'm sure this topic will come up again in a couple weeks.

crna59
02-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Folks..... you do know that most helmets have removable/replaceable padding to have a custom fit. The Neotec that I got was too tight around the cheeks and too loose around the crown. I ordered thinner cheek padding and thicker padding around the crown. Now it fits perfectly!
Arai has tear away padding 5mm increments.

Peteoz
02-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Thanks Guys, there’s some good points there. However, I have heard every one of them before and took all of them into consideration when making my decision (including trauma room photos and reports😉). Yes, there is an added risk of chin/nasal type injury with the 7/8, but I have also seen two instances of the chin bar cracking on a full face, with horrific results.

It was an informed decision (made over a long period of time) on my part to go with the 7/8 Shoei and Schuberth helmets, and I feel very safe and very comfortable in them. Thanks for the feedback.

Pete

M109Dreamer
02-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Yeah, in my opinion, the smartest helmet ever made, M109:thumbup:. Unfortunately, they changed the headshape between the series 2 and the series 3, and the 3 was too tight in the largest size they make.....bugger.....

Pete

Well crap, I have the first version. I hope it will still fit well then. I had that I don't have anywhere near me to try them on before hand. I have to buy then exchange, sometimes several times to get the correct one.

Peteoz
02-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Well crap, I have the first version. I hope it will still fit well then. I had that I don't have anywhere near me to try them on before hand. I have to buy then exchange, sometimes several times to get the correct one.

I could get the series 3 on, but it was really tight in a couple of spots compared to the series 2. Way too tight that it would loosen a bit......and since I was wearing the largest size (XL), I couldn’t try the “next size up”, which may have been perfect. Boy, was I pissed. There I was, having found the perfect helmet for me, and suddenly it was gone once the Series 2 wore out.

Pete.

mavrik
02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Wow...that is a totally different but valid point...and thanks. We spend so much time on these machine and in the sun, in the process of trying to get cooler we put our facial skin at risk...another positive for a modular helmet.

Here's another take on helmets I'm going to be 74 shortly and have been riding since I was 13. I spent a lot of time riding you know fun in the sun and live in south Texas and can ride everyday. I used mostly 3/4 helmets. My doctor noticed 5 spots of cancer on my face (you know fun in the sun). She recommended that I switch to a full face or modular.

Stogeylink
02-22-2018, 10:23 AM
After having a run-in with a small tree in 1976 and looking at the right side of my helmet pealed down like a banana, I went with the Bell statement of "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet". From then on, I stayed with Bell and have a Bell Star full face now that is my favorite. I'm new to the Spyder community but, so far, I have loved this machine. It just works and gives satisfaction. Besides, my wife said it had to be a trike this time due to some sever leg injuries from 2003. She just didn't say which trike...LOL! She actually loves it too and I wouldn't be surprised to see a pair of them after a while. Hoping to spend some time in the wind this spring as I am semi-retired and looking for day trips and over-night getaways for the wife and I. Hope to see you all on the road.

ofdave
02-22-2018, 11:24 AM
about 10 years ago I used to ride once in a while with a guy who's brother was in a mild accident.
He was wearing a 3/4 helmet and suffered major damage to his chin, bottom jaw, and left cheek bones as a result. His brother had pics of him after the surgeries and during the healing process. After seeing those pics, I got my first modular helmet 2 days later. The damage was shocking. Even more shocking was that there was minimal damage to the rest of him, minor road rash, and no broken bones except for the lower jaw and cheek bones, but his front teeth were gone and lips destroyed.
You'll never find me in anything other than a modular or full face ever again.
The risk to take is up to the rider.

As far as riding wearing a modular with it being open-that's just stupid. They are not meant to be worn that way. Do a get off and have the open front get dragged on the ground and see what happens to your neck. Just dumb.

mavrik
02-22-2018, 11:55 AM
we all take calculated risks being on these machines....with the spyder i'm a little more relaxed compared to when I was on a full bike...but still wear a full faced helmet. Problem is we can calculate some risks but there are other things that are out of are control....when crap hits the fan it can be bad....be prepared for that and except those risks with choices we all make

M109Dreamer
02-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I could get the series 3 on, but it was really tight in a couple of spots compared to the series 2. Way too tight that it would loosen a bit......and since I was wearing the largest size (XL), I couldn’t try the “next size up”, which may have been perfect. Boy, was I pissed. There I was, having found the perfect helmet for me, and suddenly it was gone once the Series 2 wore out.

Pete.

I have the XL as well and see they don't make an XXL........grrrrrrrrr

crna59
02-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Another thing to think about is the Neotec is "only" DOT rated. The Schuberth and others? are ECE rated which tests impact resistance of the chin bar. DOT doesn't!!

Peteoz
02-22-2018, 07:34 PM
I have the XL as well and see they don't make an XXL........grrrrrrrrr

Make sure you try one on first, M109. Your head may be a different shape to mine and it may fit you perfectly. My brain is obviously much smaller than yours too, as I am both stupid AND dumb according to ofdave;):D. Strangely, being insulted didn’t actually swing me around to his way of thinking :thumbup:

Pete

ofdave
02-23-2018, 05:26 AM
Make sure you try one on first, M109. Your head may be a different shape to mine and it may fit you perfectly. My brain is obviously much smaller than yours too, as I am both stupid AND dumb according to ofdave;):D. Strangely, being insulted didn’t actually swing me around to his way of thinking :thumbup:

Pete

was not singling you out, stated my thoughts based on my experiences
what an ego to think I was specifically talking about you
It's your head and your life-you do what you feel is right for you-it's your decision, not mine.
I really don't give a rat's rear end.

Peteoz
02-24-2018, 12:17 AM
was not singling you out, stated my thoughts based on my experiences
what an ego to think I was specifically talking about you
It's your head and your life-you do what you feel is right for you-it's your decision, not mine.
I really don't give a rat's rear end.

Ofdave - “As far as riding wearing a modular with it being open-that's just stupid. They are not meant to be worn that way. Do a get off and have the open front get dragged on the ground and see what happens to your neck. Just dumb.”

Have a re-read of what you wrote above. I wore a modular Shark, sometimes open, which you say is “just stupid”. I ride with a 7/8 open face, which you say is “just dumb”. That means that you are indeed including me in your “general” insults above.

I, and others, have made a call based on well researched risk assessments for particular individual situations. You are of course entitled to a differing opinion, but to call those decisions stupid and dumb just because they don’t match your own beliefs says a great deal. Ego? My goodness :shocked:

Pete

ofdave
02-24-2018, 05:04 AM
Ofdave - “As far as riding wearing a modular with it being open-that's just stupid. They are not meant to be worn that way. Do a get off and have the open front get dragged on the ground and see what happens to your neck. Just dumb.”

Have a re-read of what you wrote above. I wore a modular Shark, sometimes open, which you say is “just stupid”. I ride with a 7/8 open face, which you say is “just dumb”. That means that you are indeed including me in your “general” insults above.

I, and others, have made a call based on well researched risk assessments for particular individual situations. You are of course entitled to a differing opinion, but to call those decisions stupid and dumb just because they don’t match your own beliefs says a great deal. Ego? My goodness :shocked:

Pete

I stand by my opinion as expressed in my statement. Riding while wearing a modular with it being open is stupid.
Your Shark (I surmise it is the Evoline Series 3 model), when open, has the front laid back against the rear of the helmet-not sticking up in the air. Worn as such it becomes an open face as is noted in the description of it on the Shark website. One only needs to see a pic of it to understand the difference between the Evoline Series 3 and a typical modular helmet which was/is the subject of my comment.

Again, wearing open face helmets, to me, is just dumb. As I mentioned, having seen the damage to a face from wearing one in a crash, it is a risk I am not willing to take. And an opinion I continue to hold.

As far as insulting, well that's your take. My comments, as you noted, are my "differing opinion".
I am not insulted when I read "differing opinions" from mine. Good grief, if we all felt that, our entire lives would be spent being insulted. My time on this planet is too short for me to be concerned with or feel insulted by every comment made which does not align with my take on a subject. Give that a try-you'll sleep better and smile more.;)

INFAMOUS
02-24-2018, 10:46 AM
I wear a Shoei Gt Air. It is very comfortable. But i also tried aon A lot of helmets before picking the one i did. You will know which one is right pretty much the second you put it on your head.

Peteoz
02-24-2018, 02:55 PM
I am not insulted when I read "differing opinions" from mine. Good grief, if we all felt that, our entire lives would be spent being insulted. My time on this planet is too short for me to be concerned with or feel insulted by every comment made which does not align with my take on a subject. Give that a try-you'll sleep better and smile more.;)

dave, I am NEVER insulted by someone’s differing opinion. I welcome them as they often provide more input to be considered. It’s just that I don’t believe those opinions need to include labels like “stupid” or “dumb” just because the opinion differs from your own.....unfortunately though, some people just can’t help themselves.......and it would be hard for me to laugh more and sleep better, so there’s no need to be concerned about that ;)

Pete

ofdave
02-24-2018, 07:25 PM
dave, I am NEVER insulted by someone’s differing opinion. I welcome them as they often provide more input to be considered. It’s just that I don’t believe those opinions need to include labels like “stupid” or “dumb” just because the opinion differs from your own.....unfortunately though, some people just can’t help themselves.......and it would be hard for me to laugh more and sleep better, so there’s no need to be concerned about that ;)

Pete

if you had seen the face of the man injured wearing his half helmet, there is no doubt in my mind you would feel the same.
when I see behavior with disregard to the potential serious negative results for that behavior, I do not consider it sane, educated, intelligent, or reasonable and express my opinion accordingly.
Glad you sleep well, it is a treat.;)

Peteoz
02-24-2018, 08:15 PM
if you had seen the face of the man injured wearing his half helmet, there is no doubt in my mind you would feel the same.
when I see behavior with disregard to the potential serious negative results for that behavior, I do not consider it sane, educated, intelligent, or reasonable and express my opinion accordingly.
Glad you sleep well, it is a treat.;)

Hang in there Dave. Hopefully the penny will drop eventually :shocked:.

Pete

old Timer
02-25-2018, 06:50 AM
I completely agree that one should not disparage anyone wearing a Beanie or Novelty so called helmet.

I also strongly am aware that a Beanie or Novelty so called Helmet is not in anyway a Motorcycle Helmet.

But also a strong believer in "Live and let live".

RapidSpyder
02-25-2018, 08:50 AM
As you can see there is always a lot of good info here. Have to admit most of the posts are about things I haven’t given thought to. I am appreciative to all those who contribute based on that their experience and look forward to what they have to say. Hope you new guys find the forum as useful as I do.
The only drawback is it gets me itching for spring....

ARtraveler
02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
I completely agree that one should not disparage anyone wearing a Beanie or Novelty so called helmet.

I also strongly am aware that a Beanie or Novelty so called Helmet is not in anyway a Motorcycle Helmet.

But also a strong believer in "Live and let live".

Totally agree with your point. Each person must make their own decisions about the level of safety gear worn every time they get on board a motorcycle or :ani29:.

I am a ATGATT person and always wear a helmet. I like modular and NOT full face helmets. I know I am not as safe as I could be--but that is my current "comfort" level.

I will NEVER criticize another's choice of safety gear but I do like to share experience type of advice.

MOSESS
02-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Yes I did it. I ordered the HJC jet in gloss black. ill continue to use my neo tech but around town ill use the HJC for the money it was a good buy. I tried on 10 different lids. There are so many that it can get a bit over whelming. glad its over. now on to my next mod. adjustable bars..and back rest for my custom seat. Guys thank you.

Sarge707
02-25-2018, 09:26 PM
I swear the only reason I wear My 3/4 Helmets is to Keep the Ear buds in? I'm not gonna lay down my Spyder and as a Former Advanced Infantry Drill Sergeant my Peripheral Vision is second to None. To me the extra vision I get is More benefit than the extra protection and If someone texting runs head on into me its Not gonna make a whole lot of difference- Is It! :yikes: