PDA

View Full Version : Broken Sreering lock, episode 2

agedbikeman
02-17-2018, 04:18 AM
End of August last year I reported a broken steering lock due to attemped theft of my RT. I went to a dealer who had a ingnition switch assembly over from a swapout just to look at it , looking at it there was no way the actual lock itself would break it's so strong. I decided to investigate, all that had happened is, looking at the first picture of the top steering support, the lock pushes a pin out on one side or the other of the square block at the top, the pin only protrudes about 5mm to jam against the side of the block, the pin had scored a groove across the top of the block, photo 2. As there is plenty of room I Drilled and tapped the block and screwed an aluminium U shaped plate across the block, photo3. This works very well and should the same thing happen again, just replace the plate.

New steering support 80 dollars, 2 days work. My method less than 1 dollar 2 hours work. NO CONTEST

157881 157878 157879

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-17-2018, 11:42 AM
End of August last year I reported a broken steering lock due to attemped theft of my RT. I went to a dealer who had a ingnition switch assembly over from a swapout just to look at it , looking at it there was no way the actual lock itself would break it's so strong. I decided to investigate, all that had happened is, looking at the first picture of the top steering support, the lock pushes a pin out on one side or the other of the square block at the top, the pin only protrudes about 5mm to jam against the side of the block, the pin had scored a groove across the top of the block, photo 2. As there is plenty of room I Drilled and tapped the block and screwed an aluminium U shaped plate across the block, photo3. This works very well and should the same thing happen again, just replace the plate.

New steering support 80 dollars, 2 days work. My method less than 1 dollar 2 hours work. NO CONTEST

157881 157878 157879
:clap::clap::clap:.......... DIYer's ROCK :yes:..............Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Always nice to take a look and find a solution saving you some big bucks. .:clap::2thumbs: we now live in a world (more like country) of replace not repair. Much of the test equipment have two lights....good...replace....:banghead: glad your in the minority and looked for options and I grew up where we had no options...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Thanks for posting a solution. DIY :yes::yes::yes:

agedbikeman
02-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Always nice to take a look and find a solution saving you some big bucks. .:clap::2thumbs: we now live in a world (more like country) of replace not repair. Much of the test equipment have two lights....good...replace....:banghead: glad your in the minority and looked for options and I grew up where we had no options...:thumbup:

I also grew up in a world where replacement was only the last resort, make do and mend was the norm