PDA

View Full Version : My Unique Mods

Jumper35
05-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I've finally received my Spyder and would like to share my mods. My favorite is the new gas cap. As a paraplegic, getting off my machine is not an option so my friend was able to engineer an accessible gas cap using a marine filler cap. The foot plate is made of diamond plating and fully adjustable for angle. The hydraulic handbrake was made using an OEM clutch lever and needless to say, looks like it came right from the factory. This is my first attempt at posting pics so hopefully they come through.... here goes.

fastfraser
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM
:thumbup: Nice job , looks good. :spyder2: on. Where you from ? Ont. Canada is a big place.

pphantom538
05-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Great work. Looks like it belongs.

Big Arm
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Jumper35 welcome and :congrats: on your purchase

and your mods :clap: Look Great :thumbup:

Blackwidow74
05-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Looks very nice

Cundiffla
05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Awesome! Happy to see your acomplishment!Now let's ride!!!!

rleathen
05-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Nice mods. It is amazing what people come up with when they have the desire to ride the spyder !

With the marine filler cap how do you deal with the actual stock cap or was this removed with the mod ?

dltang
05-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Those are great!! and welcome

Dudley
05-23-2009, 11:22 PM
The Spyder has done so much for some, who had it not been for the Spyder, could never enjoy what so many of us take for granted. I had a cousin who was a paraplegic for over 30 years, and would he still be living today would have loved the Spyder. He was a very active person, given his difficulties, and this would have been a real challenge for him. Spyder Rules!

SpyderByter
05-24-2009, 09:40 AM
:congrats: welcome

Glad you were able to adapt and enjoy the riding!

Lamonster
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Very cool. Fill us in on the details. :doorag:

Jumper35
05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
The new filler cap eliminates the use of the stock cap under the seat. The new piping runs under the plastic and ties into the tank by way of the original filler cap.....so no need to get off the bike. The hydraulic brake set-up is pretty much identical to the thread on that topic (I used this site as a resource for my mods), but the OEM lever was used to add to the aesthetics of the bike. My next goal is to design a wheelchair rack that I can use for longer trips and touring. Lots of good ideas on this site for that too! Thanks to everyone who posts their mods....it is a great help to people like me who are not that creative LOL

Wheelz
05-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Can you post a pic of the filler tube routing? I want to do this ASAP cause I'm getting tired of breaking the chair down and getting my little 3 gal gas can and filling up in a parking spot in the gas station. :helpsmilie:

igor
05-31-2009, 12:33 AM
great job.:bowdown:

SethO
05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
should have a metal wheelchair bracket for sale in a bout 3 weeks, just have to build and test the metal one I have in progress.

hawkiii
05-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Very cool job Jumper35. Looks sweet. By the way, welcome.

Roaddog2
06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Nice work your fill cap rocks :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Al Bragg
06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Look very nice. :doorag:

Jumper35
06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Can you post a pic of the filler tube routing? I want to do this ASAP cause I'm getting tired of breaking the chair down and getting my little 3 gal gas can and filling up in a parking spot in the gas station. :helpsmilie:

Hey Wheelz, here is a pic of the fuel routing.:2thumbs:

M2Wild
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Is that PVC piping I see? Be careful that petro does not melt the PVC and the glue holding it together.

Wheelz
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Jumper,

a few more questions...how does the seat settle over the elbow? I just tried building my filler neck tonight but the seat wouldn't quite close all the way..also the panel was interefering with the filler pipe. What did you do different? What did you trim away to make this all fit? I put two red circles on your picture to see what you did...Did you trim the elbow shorter?

I know that the elbow is a "Vent" elbow cause is a low profile 90 deg bend and all the piping is 1.5"...How does your elbow fit into the filler hole of the gas tank? And at the remote filler neck that you drilled out?

SpyderGirl
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Brilliant!! :clap:

Happy Spydering!!!!

Motza
06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I've finally received my Spyder and would like to share my mods. My favorite is the new gas cap. As a paraplegic, getting off my machine is not an option so my friend was able to engineer an accessible gas cap using a marine filler cap. The foot plate is made of diamond plating and fully adjustable for angle. The hydraulic handbrake was made using an OEM clutch lever and needless to say, looks like it came right from the factory. This is my first attempt at posting pics so hopefully they come through.... here goes.
OUTSTANDING looks great... enjoy

vt228
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Jumper,

a few more questions...how does the seat settle over the elbow? I just tried building my filler neck tonight but the seat wouldn't quite close all the way..also the panel was interefering with the filler pipe. What did you do different? What did you trim away to make this all fit? I put two red circles on your picture to see what you did...Did you trim the elbow shorter?

I know that the elbow is a "Vent" elbow cause is a low profile 90 deg bend and all the piping is 1.5"...How does your elbow fit into the filler hole of the gas tank? And at the remote filler neck that you drilled out?

Yes fill us all in step by step so we can do same ? can we use a boat gas tubeing so we can do same im going to boat suply to see if they can help.
with the tubing great job :clap: and the prize go to you :firstplace: place :clap:

Jumper35
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Jumper,

The best I can do is post more detailed pics as it was my mechanic friend who did the mods. I can tell you the piping sits on top of the filler neck. This mod took a bit of work to get right and may need some fine tuning to get right.

Ryno
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I like it.. maybe a mod I could do..

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow, amazing what people can do :firstplace:

UVASpyder
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
nice brainstorming, looks sweet!! Have you found a mod yet to make the fuel any cheaper? lol!! Have a blast, put 'er in the wind!!:thumbup:

smokster
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
When it is full does it go up the whole neck of the mod or does it only fill to the stock set-up?

Wheelz
07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I have to keep the Spyder on to watch the gauge so it doesnt fill up to the new cap...that wouldn't be good because the venting is still the original and all of that gas would overfill the charcoal canister and possibly start a fire...

I just did this mod..so I'll write it up with pics....although I'm not too happy with the ABS plastic under the tupperware, I'm going to source it out to get the filler neck made in aluminum or somekind of metal.

Jumper35
07-17-2009, 08:18 AM
I fill the tank as I normally would. I fill it to the last full bar on the gas gauge making sure that I do not overfill. I have about 3000km with this mod and the ABS is working fine.

SethO
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I thought I put this up on this section, must of screwed up, I just hit 11,000 miles today on this setup, works great cost on this upgrade?? 0.0 dollars just use a sidegrinder to cut the plastic in a straight line and boom! done and done.

Pilo
08-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I have to keep the Spyder on to watch the gauge so it doesnt fill up to the new cap...that wouldn't be good because the venting is still the original and all of that gas would overfill the charcoal canister and possibly start a fire...

I just did this mod..so I'll write it up with pics....although I'm not too happy with the ABS plastic under the tupperware, I'm going to source it out to get the filler neck made in aluminum or somekind of metal.

Hey Wheelz:

I have a new 2009 SE5, and being an left leg amputee, when I go to the gas station, it gets kind of tricky and uncomfortable to get down from the seat on the right side, open and lift the seat, open and close the gas tank (especially when you have to press the cap down and turn it so it seals properly). :(

Have you come up with an idea similar to Jumper's, that you might explain and show pictures of...? :helpsmilie:

Your input will be appreciared.

Thanks and regards, Pilo

mickc
08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Pilo, If you don't have an artificial replacment for the left leg you might want to search out the gas cap extension that was done by another amp, that goes thru the seat and is filled without rasing the seat. I had the same problem, but with the artifical leg I get off/on the right side and walk around and do the fill up. Good luck. Mickc

Pilo
08-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Pilo, If you don't have an artificial replacment for the left leg you might want to search out the gas cap extension that was done by another amp, that goes thru the seat and is filled without rasing the seat. I had the same problem, but with the artifical leg I get off/on the right side and walk around and do the fill up. Good luck. Mickc

Mickc:

I am an AKA (above the knee amputee), and when I am on the SE5 (probably because of the forward seating position), the edge of the socket of my old artificial leg feels uncomfortable on my left buttock and upper hip, so I ride it without the artificial leg.

When I get a new and better prosthesis I'll try it on the Spyder and then I'll decide which way to go.

If you mean the other amp mod where you lift the left-front corner of the seat..., to be honest, I like Jumper's arrangement better... :D

Are you an AKA or BKA? What sort of prosthesis do you use?

PM me, or e-mail me to: pilodiaz@net-uno.net

Saludos from an Argentinean in Venezuela and welcome

chris56
06-17-2010, 04:40 AM

its a perfect job !! have you any idea how much fuel fits inside the tank now ??
chris

spyder_RT
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Like to ask what handbrake mod did you do the one that push the foot brake or the one that there is no foot brake any more

littlebob24
05-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Very nice work Jumper35, This will help me when it comes time to adapt mine when I decide to get one. I thank all for there ideas and pics. :congrats:

freebob
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Now that would really mess me up with handbrake on left side bad enough
not having one on rt side..I'm sure you had reason for installing on left side and it does look good. Don't let anyone with manual trans ride your Spyder..:thumbup:...

Freebob...:doorag:

Hawk Eye
05-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Great job & :welcome::2thumbs:

Pete:yes::yes:

harleyRick
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Now that's neat very cool !!! :congrats:

roller
05-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Anyone know how I access the pics of the Gas cap relocation that were originally part of this thread? By Jumper35

Thanks
roller