PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT Cruise Control Knob Gone

agedbikeman
02-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Whilst riding a few days ago I looked down at the RH handlebar and noticed the cruise control switch button was missing, apparently just fell off somewhere. after reading the service manual, this part is not available, you have to buy the whole switch cluster at over 400 bucks, needless to say BRP didn't want to know, just advised me to go to the dealer for bankruptsy.
Being experienced in electronics, game for a challenge (or just plain stupid), I want to remove the switch assembly as I'm sure I can make a new button but I will be better doing it in my electronics workshop rather than the garage, I know I'll have to take the handlebar covers off to disconnect the cables, usual brp storey all panels off, engine out, wheels off, just to remove the handlebar, I think all brp designers are retired sadists.:joke:
Enough of the silly jokes, my question is has anyone ever dismantled an RT right hand switch cluster?
Is it how it looks, undo those tiny hex screws and all sorts of springs and clips will jump out never to be
seen again. :yikes:

157766157765Does anyone know what I'm in for if I undo the two gold screw on top?(second photo)
Or better still, does anyone know where there is a whole switch assembly lurking even broken or not working, all I want is the CC button.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Alex

Chupaca
02-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Never been in one for RT but many in my time around bikes. These newer ones are much easier and for sure the two halves are contained so you can remove the assembly after unplugging from the harness. After that you need to watch how it comes apart so as to be able to reassemble the half in question. Parts for it will be in the junk yard or shops that have changed one out...:banghead::banghead:

Cavman
02-12-2018, 05:25 PM
You might want to see if there are any wrecked Spyders somewhere? Maybe your insurance people would have info on that?

pegasus1300
02-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Try pinwall cycle. https://pinwallcycle.com/

IGETAROUND
02-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Whilst riding a few days ago I looked down at the RH handlebar and noticed the cruise control switch button was missing, apparently just fell off somewhere. after reading the service manual, this part is not available, you have to buy the whole switch cluster at over 400 bucks, needless to say BRP didn't want to know, just advised me to go to the dealer for bankruptsy.
Being experienced in electronics, game for a challenge (or just plain stupid), I want to remove the switch assembly as I'm sure I can make a new button but I will be better doing it in my electronics workshop rather than the garage, I know I'll have to take the handlebar covers off to disconnect the cables, usual brp storey all panels off, engine out, wheels off, just to remove the handlebar, I think all brp designers are retired sadists.:joke:
Enough of the silly jokes, my question is has anyone ever dismantled an RT right hand switch cluster?
Is it how it looks, undo those tiny hex screws and all sorts of springs and clips will jump out never to be

157766157765Does anyone know what I'm in for if I undo the two gold screw on top?(second photo)
Or better still, does anyone know where there is a whole switch assembly lurking even broken or not working, all I want is the CC button.

Alex

Alex.

I don't have an RT but that looks exactly like the inside of my cruise control on my RS. Now having said that, and it being two and a half years since I installed my cruise control; there is a positioning peg on the handle bar to keep the grip from rotating around. This is the collar that holds that half of the grip in place over the positioning peg. No springs and big surprises. I, not being experienced in electronics, would simply drill a pilot hole in the stub where the switch broke off and put a small allen wrench type headed screw in there. this would allow you to slide on and off, as well as giving you set and resume functions. Not about beauty but functionality!!!! FWIW

Al in Kazoo

canamjhb
02-12-2018, 08:25 PM
I always keep my CC button in the "ON" position. You have just given me a good reason to do so. I think Al in Kazoo may be on to an easier solution, if not just temporary, until another reasonably priced cluster can be located. Good luck with your repair.

SpyderAnn01
02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
I always keep my CC button in the "ON" position. You have just given me a good reason to do so. I think Al in Kazoo may be on to an easier solution, if not just temporary, until another reasonably priced cluster can be located. Good luck with your repair.

I have always done the same and I’ve nrver had an issue. I’d try to get it in the on position and leave it alone. 225,000 Spyder miles all with the cruise on.

WA5VHU
02-13-2018, 12:38 AM
Call around some of the dealers and see if they have any pull-offs laying around. If so, you can take the knob off one of those. That's what I did to add cruise control to my 2013 RS as the only thing missing was the stupid knob, everything else is there - switches, electronics, everything. The dealer gave me a bad cluster that was not under warranty that they were going to throw away.

agedbikeman
02-13-2018, 03:29 AM
Try pinwall cycle. https://pinwallcycle.com/

Thanks,looked on pinwall, they had one but 2009, no cc switch at all, thanks anyway I'll keep looking

agedbikeman
02-13-2018, 03:32 AM

I've never turned my cc of since I bought it, beats me where it went, just looked down one day and there it was, GONE., Going to do what Al Kazoo said.

agedbikeman
02-13-2018, 03:39 AM
Alex.

I don't have an RT but that looks exactly like the inside of my cruise control on my RS. Now having said that, and it being two and a half years since I installed my cruise control; there is a positioning peg on the handle bar to keep the grip from rotating around. This is the collar that holds that half of the grip in place over the positioning peg. No springs and big surprises. I, not being experienced in electronics, would simply drill a pilot hole in the stub where the switch broke off and put a small allen wrench type headed screw in there. this would allow you to slide on and off, as well as giving you set and resume functions. Not about beauty but functionality!!!! FWIW

Al in Kazoo

Thanks Al,thought of that at first, just wanted to keep looks original as possible, but not at 400 buck +.
Luckily there are 2 stubbs side by side with a tiny hole already in them, will take up your idea of allen screw but will screw a thin aluminium plate on using the already holes to stop anything getting into the switch unit, may even find a tiny knob to screw to the plate, I'll take photos and post 'em up here when I've done. I'M ON A MISSION NOW!!!:ohyea::ohyea:

SpyRyd
02-13-2018, 05:02 AM
I've never turned my cc of since I bought it, beats me where it went, just looked down one day and there it was, GONE., Going to do what Al Kazoo said.

If your CC is on, do you really need the button (other than for looks)?

eddieshep999
02-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Just as a matter of interest

If you have to dismantle one of the switch clusters and you are not sure if springs or screws are likely to fly out, a good tip is to place a plastic bag over the switch cluster large enough to get your hands and tools inside and if you use a see through bag in the event should any screws or springs fly out the bag will hopefully catch them and being see through they should be easier to spot and reteive

pegasus1300
02-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Thanks,looked on pinwall, they had one but 2009, no cc switch at all, thanks anyway I'll keep looking

Call them and ask them directly.Not everything is listed.

teninospyder
02-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Alex

Also, I'm thinking, any suggestions from anyone on how to prevent it now, before it happens ?? Short of putting a pretty rubber band around it :joke:

ottawa-rider
02-13-2018, 05:50 PM
If your CC is on, do you really need the button (other than for looks)?

Yes, on and activated are not the same, you still need the button to activate or resume.

teninospyder
02-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Yes, on and activated are not the same, you still need the button to activate or resume.

Agree.:thumbup:

pegasus1300
02-14-2018, 10:29 AM
If you haven't already, try on ebay,there is always tons of parts there for almost anything.