PDA

View Full Version : It’s time buyer

Kennysd
02-11-2018, 05:29 PM
We, my wife is looking at a Spyder, she’s been riding a R1200rt for the past 15 years but it’s getting to be a handful especially in the spring as we start our riding season.
We have looked at them at our local dealer but, trusting a motorcycle dealer, well let’s just say after nearly 16 motorcycles I have learned that toy dealers are not trustworthy, that being said I sure could use some input on which Spyder to buy. I see the ones with all the fancy cases and chrome but we really would rather not pay for all that “fluff”
We ride 10k - 20k each year. Assume after market bags are available for these.

Guys Thanks for the help.

DGoebel
02-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Kenny, you have to try the different styles to really decide, before we bought our RT, we tried F-3's, and an older RS, All of them "FELT" distinctly different.
The person driving one 20,000 miles should be the person deciding. If any local dealers will let you test ride, mores the better.

There's a trike rally in Deadwood every year, I'm sure there's some other gatherings of Spyders or trips coming your way.

Accessories are available for all models. There's supposed to be a very basic Spyder coming out soon, but you may want to look at a base model RT or the RS's.
Our '13 bought used in '16 has 20,000+ new miles on it and I'd swear it's the best model, but a friend rides an F-3 and he'd swear the same thing. We're not trading ever again.

Bfromla
02-11-2018, 06:05 PM
In addition to dealers that earned to be on home page
ive tried to compile a quick list of worthy visits (&avoid)when out on road if that helps:
:dontknow:

👍👎 dealers quick list of comments stated 2016

👎Fun bike center Mesa AZ:
👍Veys powersports
El Cajon AZ: By same person with tire problem.

👍Birds of prey Caldwell IA:
Towing assistance for someone with key/DESS problem

👍Rexburg Powersports in Idaho
Helped a person while on a trip with a brake issue allowing fun trip.

👍Sierra cycles Sierra Vista AZ:
Someone with damaged low tire got a helping hand, loner bike & repair wrk.
Also great reports from tombstone Ryde in

👎We ride power spots ,Mesa AZ: after making customer wait,
Actually told customer they could save $$ & time by sucking the oil out of dipstick rather & not changing filter, than a proper oil change⚠️ & made it sound like a standard practice

👍 Motorsports inc
Hanover PA: somebody had multiple issues p-brake & windshield & were instructed how to move spyder by helpful dealer (communicated tie dow instructions to tow truck over phone)

👍 Ride Now Chandler AZ: someone glad with fast service.

👍RideNow in Chandler, AZ:
Someone that had previous bad experience with sales dept had a great report for the service dept

👍Arctic adventures Rosendale NY: Recommended by someone to another having dealer trust issues

👍Rivco had express delivery complications (not sure where fault was)& the refunded & made sure customer was satisfied

👎Maxium Powersports Merrillville, IN : service dept failure to communicate times of repair person left w/o bike & no information for a week.
👍by couple others that had great all around exp

👍Baja Ron for service & parts all around
👍Spyderpops for service & parts all around
⚡️👍Lamonster all around

Corbin
👍good looking stuff
👎long wait on orders
👎multiple complaints of service when there is a question on paid for expensive parts.
👎for warranty issues when bought with dealer assistance

👍
Lou the guy who owns Pirate Motorsports on Center St in Riverside CA:
He has customers bringing their bikes from 150 miles away--just for an oil change (really)!

👍Vey's Powersports in El Cajon in San Diego CA: reports of fast service & good price from someone had parts already.

👍CASWELL CYCLE Mora, MN: Group on tour had good reports for service dept

👍Eddie Chance aka WildTexasRanger with Little Loyd's Engine Repair in Palestine, Tx:
Eddie has a satellite garage in Shreveport, LA.

👎Mancuso's Houston TX: Bad service request , leave bike for a simple mirror repair, not, just fix & go

Person had hot gas tank & spewing gas,
👎pikes peak Motorsports Colo. springs, CO: was no help & dismissive of the problem
👍RPM Motorsports Littleton Littleton, CO: was helpful same bike

👍Elk Grove Powersports. North CA: general compliment of timely service wrk

👍 Pro Caliber PowerSports Bend, OR: person was out on trip had mishap with transmission & was towed & fixed quickly

👍Alcoa Good Times Knoxville, TN : report if fast service

👍GSS Powersports in East Haven, CT.: fast second opinion & repairs for a desperate owner looking for better dealer. Found & fixed number of problems in time for an event, previous dealer failed & may be source of some of the problems found.

👍ELK GROVE POWERSPORTS, CA:
Report for fast friendly service just in time for Nor Cal rally

Person had two dealers refused Warranty work at
👎Malcolm Smith motorsports &
👎Temecula Motorsports Riverside, Ca
then good help same issue @

👍Pirate Motorsports Riverside CA.

👍 Johnny K's in Warren, Ohio and especially in Lodi, Ohio. Great service, sales and alaround customer support.

👎 to Hardings Park Cycle in Canton, Ohio. They try to charge for warranty work, believe unmolicious, they don't know what was covered, and it took them over three weeks to do a service

👎Temecula Motorsports (Southern CA. LA area) NO BRP Spyder Tech available was the response. wanted some basic service. ⚠️

👍Central Florida Power Sports, Kissimmee, FL. Happy customer reports yrs of good service

👍Klinger PowerSports,Walton, NY
Happy customer for years sales &service

👍Ollies out of Alexandria, MN General satisfied customer sales & service
(out of state customer)

👍Mission Motorsports. CA They have an excellent Spyder Tech

👍Whittier Fun Center. CA General happy customer sales & service

👎Temecula MotorSports CA geNeral report by someone on 3rd spyder
They just suck.

👍Southbay

👎👍jet world

👍 Maximum Power, Peru IN
Person had one fault the dealer found few more & repaired all in quick timeframe.

👎Motorsports in Riverside, CA
They refused to do warranty work on bike. They would Not let person talk to the Spyder Tech. They claimed since the LaMonster LED head lights and fog lights in, and also had a cig lighter connected to the aux user circut that it was Not a BRP approved install and therefore they would not help with the radio. That had issues before upgrades install.

👎Pete's Motorcycles in Baltimore
👍 J & J Powersports in Wilmington, DE
Quality perople and quality service. Can't say enough good about Jim and CJ. If you are in need of service, routine or emergency, or just a consult, highy recommend this dealer (don't go to Pete's).

same person had poor service @ 1 & great service @ the other
----------------------------------
👍East Tennessee ATV in Elizabethton, TN
Person had great help while out on trip after home dealer failed & took extended time on an install. Even found a problem the home dealer could not.

----------------------------
👍Family Power Sports in Lubbock Tx , general help & happy customer with service dept

👍Motomember in Leesburg General recommendation
👎ROUTE 3A MOTORS, INC. North Chelmsford, MA multiple fails on multiple returns for simple service work
FYI is a copy past from my note pad app why it may look funny

Bob Denman
02-11-2018, 06:08 PM
:welcome:
I'd say "buy an RT", but my perception is heavily skewed toward that answer! nojoke
If you're looking for new: the base model F-3 is the cheapest. There's also a base model RT available.
If you're looking for used: Any F-3 after 2015 is cool, as are the RTs after 2013.
If you look at the GS/RS series: the ones built after 2012 all have the newer 991 series Vee-Twin.
(Less horsepower, but more torque!:clap:
Any ST also has the 991 engine; only look at the ones that are 2014 or newer.

Happy Shopping!)

ofdave
02-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Welcome
There are, as you have discovered, a variety of Spyder models to choose from.
Perhaps the first consideration is semi-automatic or manual.
The second would be the type of riding anticipated, If two-up touring there are the F3 LTD and the RT series.
They handle/ride differently. You'll hear a lot about that in subsequent posts from a variety of owners, each with their own correct opinion.
The manuals have a lower resale value when you change rides. Not a consideration for all, but worth mentioning.

I have the base (cheapest) Spyder you can buy. It comes in your choice of color as long as it's black.
It has no bags (I added mine), it has a basic suspension which I find to be more than adequate for my mostly one up riding. The models with factory bags as standard look better than my add-ons for sure.
It does not have GPS. It does not have music. It does not have an air adjustable rear suspension. It does not have any of the electrical features (gizmos, to me) that I actually do not want..

I got the basic model because, to me, there are fewer things to go wrong.
A version of the base model can be had with the semi-automatic.

Go somewhere and get a test ride. A Spyder is very different from a two-wheeler and will take time to adjust.
And, stay tuned, you will soon get a lot of info to digest.
Bottom line, get a Spyder-she'll be glad.

Bob Denman
02-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Ergonomics matter...

robhowen
02-11-2018, 07:12 PM
I appreciate your wanting feedback from this group; however, I feel you must try the various models to have any chance of making a good decision. If are looking for new then you only have two styles: F3 and RT. If you are looking for used then you have more older model options. Given that you have years of 2-wheel experience, you may find a Spyder to be different. In general people who have never ridden a motorcycle adapt to a Spyder more quickly than those with significant 2-wheel experience. Chances are near 100% that you will love it over time, as so many previous 2-wheeled riders have expressed this. Me included.

Good luck.

Rob

AY4B
02-11-2018, 07:41 PM
If you are used to the high riding BMW's you would probably feel more comfortable on an RT, than the low rider F3. Also riding 20000 miles you would be better with a Limited. Bells and whistles equate to comfort and convenience.
Go for it!

ARtraveler
02-11-2018, 08:15 PM
:welcome: Others are right on when they say test drive to see what fits you and your style best.

RT is the "comfort" one. It's a lot like the GW--but better for most.

Gently used might be the way to go. We have Linda's 2011 RT up for sale. Our farkles include trunk light, BRP comfort seat, floorboards, and driving lights. 28K miles and the first $11K takes it. Everyone on here knows the history and that this is a nice ride.

A link to the ad:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87111-2011-RT-A-amp-C-SE5&highlight=sale+2011

Kennysd
02-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Guys thanks a lot for the information.
As always it seems like we’re going to have to travel around and try these Spyder.
I have some doubts that my wife will like these but I’m going to keep thAt to myself 😉.
We ride a lot of Ironbutt events each year and the gas mileage could become an issue, I will be riding a K1600 that consistanly gets 46 mpg which makes gas stops not coencide, that may not seem like a big deal, but if you ride 700-800 miles per day it quickly becomes an issue.

GOZFST
02-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Guys thanks a lot for the information.
As always it seems like we’re going to have to travel around and try these Spyder.
I have some doubts that my wife will like these but I’m going to keep thAt to myself ��.
We ride a lot of Ironbutt events each year and the gas mileage could become an issue, I will be riding a K1600 that consistanly gets 46 mpg which makes gas stops not coencide, that may not seem like a big deal, but if you ride 700-800 miles per day it quickly becomes an issue.
My wife and I rode BMW's for many years, her last one was a K75rt. She stopped ridding it and thought she was done until we bought our first Spyder, a used 08 gs. It was sporty and a manual shift, but she didn't really like the seating and riding position. We sold it and bought a used 2012 RT with the semi-auto, what a difference. She loves it. I still ride my R11100r and F650gs, but when we are going 2 up take the Spyder. Rice Honda in Rapid City is a pretty good dealer, they usually have quite a few in stock. If she liked the comfort of her 1200 rt the Spyder RT would probably be the best fit, but like everyone else has said let her try them all. The 2014 or newer RT's with the 1300 motor would be a better fit for long distance touring as they get better mileage. If you are interested in a used RT a friend of mine in Deadwood will have his wife's for sale shortly.

RapidSpyder
02-11-2018, 09:25 PM
pm sent

asp125
02-11-2018, 09:53 PM
We had some service work done at Rice Honda in Rapid City. They are a Can Am dealer - can't vouch for their sales staff but their service dept took good care of us when we were passing through. Go test ride some demos there if nothing else.

ARtraveler
02-11-2018, 10:28 PM
The 1330's give about 10 mpg better. 39-41 per gal and the 998's get 29-31 per gal. That's 200 miles or 150 miles before fill up light usually goes on.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER. :yes:

Bob Denman
02-12-2018, 08:06 AM
If you think about it in terms of range: the 1330 bikes can get out near (or over) 200 miles.
The 998s are usually around 160 or so...

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-12-2018, 01:15 PM
If you think about it in terms of range: the 1330 bikes can get out near (or over) 200 miles.
The 998s are usually around 160 or so...
:agree: .......... and I went 243 mi. when my 2014 RT hit EMPTY :yikes: .... I didn't baby it after the warning light came on, so I might have gone 250mi........since I had some spare gas with me I actually intended to go to empty just to see how far it would go ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-12-2018, 01:30 PM
243 also is where I stopped for fuel.
I had about three-quarters of a gallon left in the tank! :thumbup:

(I ran out of nerve, before running out of fuel... :opps:)

RapidSpyder
02-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Our 1st Spyder was a 2011 RTS with the 998. You'll appreciate the bigger engine riding around the Hills. It also seems to just handle better also.