PDA

View Full Version : Changing brake fluid in 2014RTL 1330 SE6

teninospyder
02-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Question on procedure........Any problem with this and would it be a good idea?

1 - Open respective reservoir and suck out old fluid as low as SAFELY (preventing air in) possible.
2 - Fill with new fluid.
3 - Using pump pedal method, open one caliper per sequence specified and bleed until new fluid flows.
4 - Close up that wheel and refill reservoir again.

Etc, Etc.

My question, I think is, if I do this how low can you go sucking out the old reservoir fluid and assure you don't get air in ? Can you tell where that point is
by looking in or at the reservoir??

2dogs
02-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Bleed and then fill the reservoir, but don't bleed the reservoir dry. Stop when you get clear fluid and then go to the next caliper. Good luck.

JayBros
02-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Do left caliper, right caliper, rear caliper in that order. Without B.U.D.S. you can't bleed the VCM.

Don't suck fluid out of the master cylinder; just keep filling it until you have fresh fluid throughout the system.

teninospyder
02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Do left caliper, right caliper, rear caliper in that order. Without B.U.D.S. you can't bleed the VCM.

Don't suck fluid out of the master cylinder; just keep filling it until you have fresh fluid throughout the system.

No problem doing this but am I correct that this basically means you (me) are diluting the old dirty stuff until it is sufficiently clean, which would mean that all "dilution" would be done on the first caliper.....right? If/when you get clear out of the caliper, then the reservoir and line to THAT caliper are both good, and the reservoir now has nothing but new in it so it is good.

No problem here.....just trying to assure I'm on the same page with you people.

Warlock
02-08-2018, 12:26 PM

I bleed my whole system including the VSS without B.U.D.S. ever being hooked up. This was done on a 08 model. I sucked both reservoir and added new fluid before I started the bleeding of the brakes. I did use the sequence of the bleed. I had no problems, but do this at your own risk.
David

jcoats1
02-08-2018, 12:52 PM
I just finished changing brake fluid in my 2013 RTL. Simply by drawing fluid from reservoir and refilling it. Then removing the plug from first caliper (not bleeder), and allowing fluid to run (slowly) from the plug till clean,(1 to 2 hours) keeping reservoir filled as needed. Then, with plug still removed, slowly compress each side allowing New pads to be inserted. (cover hole or you will get a facefull of fluid.)Then install plug and slowly pump brakes till pad is seated. Remove plug and gravity bleed till fluid comes out without bubbles. Repeat for other pad and then other caliper. I have not done the rear, but I see no reason this will not work for it also....

This gravity bleed procedure is common on automotive applications for many years.

2dogs
02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
No problem doing this but am I correct that this basically means you (me) are diluting the old dirty stuff until it is sufficiently clean, which would mean that all "dilution" would be done on the first caliper.....right? If/when you get clear out of the caliper, then the reservoir and line to THAT caliper are both good, and the reservoir now has nothing but new in it so it is good.

JayBros is right. Always start with the caliper farthest from the master cylinder because that will be your longest brake line. Then do the right caliper and then the rear each time topping off the reservoir. Leave the reservoir fluid level about a 1/2" to a 1/4" below the full line so you don't get any spillage. That darn brake fluid is nasty stuff and will eat right through some materials. Keep some "Lacquer Thinner" close at hand because that's the only thing that will cut brake fluid. After bleeding each line and caliper and refilling the reservoir everything will have new brake fluid in it. If there is any old fluid anywhere in the system, the amount will be so slight that it well never ever present a problem.

JayBros
02-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Don't know for sure. Was just reading from the service manual which did say to keep the master cylinder full to ensure no air bubbles get in the system. It's one job I let the dealer do every two years.