PDA

View Full Version : RT-S Rear Tire

rpopdan
02-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Any success stories out there for a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R/15 on a 2015 RT?
Good or bad I would like to hear.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Any success stories out there for a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R/15 on a 2015 RT?
Good or bad I would like to hear.
It's a lot better than the Crapenda OEM tire ....... However for about the same money ( and effort ) the General Altimax in 215/60-15 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Kumho ...... Mike :thumbup:

AeroPilot
02-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Have put 5 of the Kumhos on RTs from 2014 to 2015 and got good wear and performance from all of them. Currently have 33,500 miles on my 15 RT with 20,000 of that on the Kumho. We get between 12 and 13,000 miles out of the OEM Kendas then switch and get twice the mileage out of the Kumhos. YMMV

Just put a General Altimax on the wifes F3T and have another General ready to try on my RT when the Kumho wears out in around 5,000 more miles. Hope that the mileage matches the Kumhos. The Altimax in 215/60R15 is a little taller, so the Speedo is now within 1 mph of the GPS, compared to 2 mph off on the Kumho at 65 mph.

blacklightning
02-07-2018, 01:34 PM
I had the Kumho on my 2014 RT, and I loved it. I got it mainly because of the price, and the fact that it had the OEM size. But now I would not second guess going with another one, as the first served me well:thumbup:.

rpopdan
02-07-2018, 08:09 PM
It's a lot better than the Crapenda OEM tire ....... However for about the same money ( and effort ) the General Altimax in 215/60-15 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Kumho ...... Mike :thumbup:
Mike

Think I will go with the General. We ride 2 up all the time. What pressure would be your choice for this rear tire.

Thanks

Peter Aawen
02-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Unless you are loading the rear tire up a lot more than Spyders can safely carry, then you are going to be pretty much on the right pressure running 18 psi, +/- 1 or at most 2 psi to suit your particular load & ryding style/needs! :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Being the first and most used car tire at the start many were happy. Now there are so many to choose from it has fallen to the wayside...:shocked: still to many the best substiture so you can't go wrong. Hope they all fill you in on all the choices but it does become hard to pick....:dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Mike

Think I will go with the General. We ride 2 up all the time. What pressure would be your choice for this rear tire.

Thanks
:agree: with Peter 100% ...... He is the only other person on this forum who has the qualifications to give accurate info on the tire subject ...... you could try 17psi ..... the sidewalls of the Altimax will support any weight you can put on your Spyder ...... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
02-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Had to go with BK911, Peter and Spyder Ann. I just bought a General Altimax 215/60R15 and will install it next week. I pushed my Crappy Kinda to just about 7K and then installed a Kumho. I've gotten just about 20K on the Kumho with around 28 psi. I'll take the advice from BK911 and try 18 psi. on the Altimax, but that's quite some drop in air pressure. I put Federal Formoza on the front and I'm running 17 psi. and they seem to work ok.

azprince
02-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Had to go with BK911, Peter and Spyder Ann. I just bought a General Altimax 215/60R15 and will install it next week. I pushed my Crappy Kinda to just about 7K and then installed a Kumho. I've gotten just about 20K on the Kumho with around 28 psi. I'll take the advice from BK911 and try 18 psi. on the Altimax, but that's quite some drop in air pressure. I put Federal Formoza on the front and I'm running 17 psi. and they seem to work ok.
I have been running A Kumho for 6 months on my 2015 RT SM6 and have about 14,000 miles on it. Looks like it will go another 3,000. I am running 23psi now and wear is pretty even from center to edges. Last year I lowered the pressure to 18psi and started getting an orange screen, which would usually clear in 20 miles or so. The code was P0005, nothing. Above 20psi, no codes.Mostly 2 up riding and our road surfaces in AZ are hard on tires.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-08-2018, 12:05 PM
I have been running A Kumho for 6 months on my 2015 RT SM6 and have about 14,000 miles on it. Looks like it will go another 3,000. I am running 23psi now and wear is pretty even from center to edges. Last year I lowered the pressure to 18psi and started getting an orange screen, which would usually clear in 20 miles or so. The code was P0005, nothing. Above 20psi, no codes.Mostly 2 up riding and our road surfaces in AZ are hard on tires.
:yikes: ..., ORANGE screen .... I accidently ran my Hydro-Edge ( rear tire ) as low as 8psi for about 15 miles and I didn't have any CODES or the orange screen ......... I think your screen was for something else ...... and the Altimax will give you the best all-around performance at 17-18 psi....that tire can hold up 1500lbs ..... the Spyder only weighs 500lbs on that rear tire position..... I run My Michelin at 17psi in the Twisties at speeds that cause the Nanny to show the VSS code and it's never gotten " squirrelly " because of the tire pressure .... and if you are riding around on really HOT surfaces that PSI will increase because of it ........ just sayin .... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM

I have no clue what code P0005 is and I don't Know anyone else who's gotten that code. At 28 psi. on my Kumho the wear pattern was pretty consistent all the way across the tread. Possibly a touch more in the center but nothing that interfered with performance. If anyone out there knows what P0005 code means on a spyder, please let us know.

Highwayman2013
02-08-2018, 12:34 PM
I have no clue what code P0005 is and I don't Know anyone else who's gotten that code. At 28 psi. on my Kumho the wear pattern was pretty consistent all the way across the tread. Possibly a touch more in the center but nothing that interfered with performance. If anyone out there knows what P0005 code means on a spyder, please let us know.
Not a valid code.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-09-2018, 12:07 AM
I have no clue what code P0005 is and I don't Know anyone else who's gotten that code. At 28 psi. on my Kumho the wear pattern was pretty consistent all the way across the tread. Possibly a touch more in the center but nothing that interfered with performance. If anyone out there knows what P0005 code means on a spyder, please let us know. 2dogs .... the Kumho will ride flat at almost any psi ....it's a car tire with much stronger sidewalls .... The real difference is how much WET - DRY traction it will provide !!!!! ......... Yes I recommend the Altimax for a lot of reasons, but even the Kumho will perform better with a psi of 18lbs.,.......try it you, the Spyder won't suffer, and you won't get hurt..... I promise .......... Think of the tire as part of the over-all suspension on the bike ( because it is )..... If the tire can flex it is going to ride smoother / softer, this is part of the Science and is a Fact not a Feeling.....I generally ride on the upper edge , bordering on HYPER in the Twisties ....and I have never felt out of control because my rear tire is at 17psi..... Enjoy ..... Mike :thumbup:

Buckeye Chuck 54
02-09-2018, 06:56 AM
I tried the Kumho Solus and was marginally happy with it. It lasted about 16,000 miles but like the Kenda, it wore in the middle.
But that was before I knew 28 psi was what cars use. Then I tried the General 215-60-15 and ran it at 20 psi. Mike is right on
about this tire, it's waaaaaay better. I ride a lot and buy them 2 at a time so I always have a spare.
My first Altimax lasted over 26,000 miles, it still had tread left but it was changed when the belt finally kicked off.
Chuck

KX5062
02-09-2018, 09:40 AM
It seems to me that a lot of the tire wear/life stories are very dependent on where you ride. The stories (which I accept as true) about the lifespan of the Altimax do not match my experiences with that tire. I believe this is due to where you ride. I live in the Western US and ride mostly through the deserts where it is a combination of high heat and lots of rough edged rock chip seal roads. I've seen how those conditions have eaten tires. To wit: On one trip through Death Valley one of the roads just outside of the monument is super rough rock chip seal, so rough that when I stopped to check a map (yes, I still use a paper map as a back up) I saw the tires had small pieces of rubber on the tread, like racing tires. At the end of the day the tires was visibly worn compared to the start of the day. (IIRC, that was the Kumho rear)

Anyway, the thing I've noticed in 65K miles in 2 different Spyders is that many of the recommended tires, front and rear, may perform well, but just don't wear as well many riders elsewhere in the world experience. So, for me, I switched to a hard compound rear, the Cooper CS5 Touring, and so far it has performed and worn excellently. I am over the moon happy with this tire compared to others. (I do my own work and hate changing the rear tire.) The only condition I haven't used this tire in is snow/ice, but under all other conditions and in about 15k miles so far, it works the best I've seen. And, to boot, it's made in the USA and is under $100. Win-win in my book.

Highwayman2013
02-09-2018, 11:01 AM
It seems to me that a lot of the tire wear/life stories are very dependent on where you ride. The stories (which I accept as true) about the lifespan of the Altimax do not match my experiences with that tire. I believe this is due to where you ride. I live in the Western US and ride mostly through the deserts where it is a combination of high heat and lots of rough edged rock chip seal roads. I've seen how those conditions have eaten tires. To wit: On one trip through Death Valley one of the roads just outside of the monument is super rough rock chip seal, so rough that when I stopped to check a map (yes, I still use a paper map as a back up) I saw the tires had small pieces of rubber on the tread, like racing tires. At the end of the day the tires was visibly worn compared to the start of the day. (IIRC, that was the Kumho rear)

Anyway, the thing I've noticed in 65K miles in 2 different Spyders is that many of the recommended tires, front and rear, may perform well, but just don't wear as well many riders elsewhere in the world experience. So, for me, I switched to a hard compound rear, the Cooper CS5 Touring, and so far it has performed and worn excellently. I am over the moon happy with this tire compared to others. (I do my own work and hate changing the rear tire.) The only condition I haven't used this tire in is snow/ice, but under all other conditions and in about 15k miles so far, it works the best I've seen. And, to boot, it's made in the USA and is under $100. Win-win in my book.

I was deciding between the Cooper and the Altimax when my rear tire was worn out. I thought they would both perform well, but went with the General. I see no problems with the Altimax wearing excessively after 8,000 miles, haven't ridden in the heat yet but that is coming.

Deanna777
02-11-2018, 02:24 PM
I tried the Kumho Solus and was marginally happy with it. It lasted about 16,000 miles but like the Kenda, it wore in the middle.
But that was before I knew 28 psi was what cars use. Then I tried the General 215-60-15 and ran it at 20 psi. Mike is right on
about this tire, it's waaaaaay better. I ride a lot and buy them 2 at a time so I always have a spare.
My first Altimax lasted over 26,000 miles, it still had tread left but it was changed when the belt finally kicked off.
ChuckI am also running the General Altimax RT43 ( Size: 215/R6015). I have 16,176 miles on the General.

Deanna

Lew L
02-11-2018, 03:45 PM
I am also running the General Altimax RT43 ( Size: 215/R6015). I have 16,176 miles on the General.

Deanna

Altimax here also----- very pleased with it.

Lew L

Deanna777
02-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Altimax here also----- very pleased with it.

Lew LLew, I installed the Altimax on 6/20/2015. I still have a lot of tire tread left.

Deanna

2013REDRTS
02-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Has anybody tried Falken or Pirelli tires? Would you use a Touring tire vs. a Summer performance tire?

ricford
02-14-2018, 10:15 AM
OK, let me get this straight. It IS OK to run the rear tire (Altimax T43) at 20 PSI? I just pulled my head out and checked. I'm at 24K miles on the Altimax and it's about to be ryding season. So replacement is imminent. Better early than late I suppose. My concern, and it has been mentioned in this thread, is about speed with various tires. I do not want to get a ticket and don't want to have to worry that I'm exceeding that 'allowed' max speed by even one of those mile things, oh yeah, MPH. I have a couple of 5 K mile trips planned this ryding season.

And, where is instruction on how to acquire, fill and post those travel maps of the US and Canada? I went a whole lot of new places last year.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Has anybody tried Falken or Pirelli tires? Would you use a Touring tire vs. a Summer performance tire?
I've done quite a bit of research on Auto tires as they relate to our Spyders ..... here are some of my conclusions .... The Nanny ( ie. the VSS computer ) plays a large factor in determining at what point you stop gaining a traction advantage by using super sticky tires. I believe auto tires, any auto tires are much better than either the Kenda's or Arachnid's ..... On a three wheeled vehicle, the traction of the rear tire is more important than the fronts. Especially it's wet road traction. I discovered using super sticky tires,( front and rear ).... although they allow you to hold a turn much better/ faster..... they will cause the Nanny to trigger sooner and this interruption can / will effect the handling ( your turn line ). This usually slows you down more than if you went slower and didn't trigger the Nanny to begin with..... To comment on your Questions, I don't think the Falken's have great traction properties. I plan to put a Pirelli Four Season PLUS tire on my RT - for the REAR tire ... the General Altimax RT43 is a good rear tire choice also..... Touring (?) vs. Summer tire - the Summer tire will be much less effective below 50 degree's F.........and I think you meant ALL-SEASON tires and these will usually provide better WET road traction than a Summer designated tire ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
OK, let me get this straight. It IS OK to run the rear tire (Altimax T43) at 20 PSI? I just pulled my head out and checked. I'm at 24K miles on the Altimax and it's about to be ryding season. So replacement is imminent. Better early than late I suppose. My concern, and it has been mentioned in this thread, is about speed with various tires. I do not want to get a ticket and don't want to have to worry that I'm exceeding that 'allowed' max speed by even one of those mile things, oh yeah, MPH. I have a couple of 5 K mile trips planned this ryding season...... Yes 20psi will work fine .....However 17-18 psi will be better. If you have the 215/60-15 size tire you will lose the 2 mph fudge factor that a Kenda 225/50-15 tire has built into it. I don't think there is any Police officer on the planet that is going to ticket you for going 2 mph over the limit..... We all need to be AWARE of what speed we are driving at ...period.

And, where is instruction on how to acquire, fill and post those travel maps of the US and Canada? I went a whole lot of new places last year...... Someone will assist you with this ....... Mike :thumbup:

2013REDRTS
02-14-2018, 11:39 AM
I think my problem will be finding a dealer that will mount a car tire and not make me use a Factory tire.

Little Blue
02-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Let me know how it goes.:thumbup:

2013REDRTS
02-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Called both of the Dealers by me and they will not install a car tire. :banghead:

2013REDRTS
02-16-2018, 06:43 AM
I called both of the dealers near me and they will not put a car tire on my Spyder. I might have to find someplace else to do a tire when I need it. I don't want to go to just any bike shop they might know the proper way to do things.

Deanna777
02-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Something important to know if you run the RT43 tire in 215/60-15 size. I have this tire. It is not compatible if you have a rear mudflap on your RT. If you hit a large dip or bump in the road, the tire will hit the mounting bolts for the mudflap. There isnt enough clearance because the tire is taller than stock. I had to remove my mudflap. And stupid me, I just ordered and received another RT43 in the same size because I like having the speedo accurate. I might sell it to a friend and buy the Khumo 225/50-15.Joel, I also run the General RT 43 on my 2014RTS-SE6, I haven't had any problems, and I have 16,176 miles on the tire, and I have a lot of tread left.

Deanna

Highwayman2013
02-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Something important to know if you run the RT43 tire in 215/60-15 size. I have this tire. It is not compatible if you have a rear mudflap on your RT. If you hit a large dip or bump in the road, the tire will hit the mounting bolts for the mudflap. There isnt enough clearance because the tire is taller than stock. I had to remove my mudflap. And stupid me, I just ordered and received another RT43 in the same size because I like having the speedo accurate. I might sell it to a friend and buy the Khumo 225/50-15.

Maybe you could use different bolts.

Grayfox
02-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Will a General Altimax rt43 215-60-15 fit a 2012 rt-s or what size should I use

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Will a General Altimax rt43 215-60-15 fit a 2012 rt-s or what size should I use
Yes ,,,,, if you have an after-market mud flap ............ use the smallest bolts possible ....some have had issues because of that ........... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
02-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Yes ,,,,, if you have an after-market mud flap ............ use the smallest bolts possible ....some have had issues because of that ........... Mike :thumbup:

Not to worry. If they're too long they'll wear in to fit. :roflblack: I just put the 215/60-15 Altimax on my scoot and noticed it needs a little more throttle to achieve the same performance and torque. Did you notice that too? I think it's because it's a taller tire by a 1/2" or so.

luckylynn
02-21-2018, 05:31 PM

I installed a 225-60-15 and my abs light is on the dealer says i need to stay with the 225-50.

pegasus1300
02-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Bump

jcthorne
02-22-2018, 07:03 PM
I installed a 225-60-15 and my abs light is on the dealer says i need to stay with the 225-50.

You can go with the Yokohama S-Drive in a 205/55-15 as its exactly the same diameter as the oem tire. We have installed quite a few of them for happy customers. Its a great tire for the Spyder, wet or dry.

pegasus1300
02-23-2018, 01:01 PM
So I think the question is can you use a tire other then the original size tire without triggering an ABS fault? Lynn has put a 225 60 15 on the rear and got an ABS fault and his dealer is telling him that he has to go back to the original 225 50 15. I have not heard this before,do any of you know if this is true or is there some other problem. Or is there a way to erase the fault and go on with life with the 225 60.
BTW this is a 2010 RT-s

Peter Aawen
02-23-2018, 05:36 PM

There are quite a few Spyders out there running that 225/60R15 size without ANY issues, ABS or anything else, me amongst them.... :shocked:

So I suspect either you have a different make of tire to any of those that others are running (since actual rolling diameter sizes can be somewhat different than the true size) & that you just might have a 'different than most' size... :dontknow: or, somewhat more likely, that you have something else going on that has triggered the ABS fault light. :lecturef_smilie:

And knowing that some (many?) Spyders come with a spacer fitted to the rear ABS Sensor to make sure that it is 'flying' the correct distance from the notched disc that it 'reads', and that the rear disc brake caliper and that sensor both need to be unbolted & moved when you remove the rear tire to fit a replacement, I'd guess that whoever did the rear tire remove & refit probably put the ABS Sensor Spacer back on with the spacer in the wrong position, so the sensor head is now the wrong distance from the notched disc & it is giving a spurious reading, which results in that ABS Warning! Or maybe the sensor wire was used to support or carry the entire weight of the caliper while the wheel was removed, damaging the connection between the sensor & the wire?? :dontknow:

Anyhow, while there is a slight possibility that the tire size itself is an issue, since there are so many Spyders running this size tire without any issues I doubt VERY MUCH that it's actually the tire size that's creating the problem here; I suspect that it's much more likely that the ABS Sensor has been fitted incorrectly &/or the wire or sensor itself has been damaged!! :shocked: