PDA

View Full Version : best time to'

bmccaffrey
02-06-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm thinking of retirement but reluctant to make the move. Need both hips replaced. I'm 63

I guess the question is . When do you know it's time??

ARtraveler
02-06-2018, 08:51 PM
If you have good insurance coverage while working--I recommend getting the hips fixed first. Very expensive--but well worth it.

MC pays most--but I got stuck with over $5K for my total out of pocket bill.

Motorcycledave
02-06-2018, 09:06 PM
BEEN THERE !
If you feel you need them replaced, do it NOW, while you are younger and healthy AND employed
You will not regret it. the recovery time is much longer if you put it off, say for 5 years... NOW is the time
winter is best because you will be all healed up for riding in the spring and summer.
Dave

I'm thinking of retirement but reluctant to make the move. Need both hips replaced. I'm 63

PW2013STL
02-06-2018, 09:10 PM
If you have good coverage under your work insurance have your hips replaced before you retire.

That's what I did for my knee replacements. I ended up using MC for the physical therapy on my last knee. What're the work insurance covered the full cost, MC's has a $45 copy for each visit.

As for knowing when to retire - well I knew as soon as my employer offered me 20 weeks of pay to leave :ohyea:

ahh-cool
02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
You know that feeling when you wake up and you say I can't wait to retire. That's not it
When you wake up and say I just can't do it anymore, that's the day

oldguyinTX
02-06-2018, 09:17 PM
The time to do it is NOW!! I had both of mine replaced last year, left one in February, and the right one in October. I had avascular necrosis in both hips, and let me tell you, the pain was something I never want to go through again. It had gotten to the point where I could barely walk without a cane or walker, much less throw a leg over the saddle and ride. To me it was well worth the surgical pain & rehab to not have to live in constant pain and fear of falling. I'm just sorry that I waited so long to get them done. akspyderman is right - Medicare pays the most. With Medicare and my AARP Medicare supplement, my total out of pocket cost was zero. So, I finally got back some of that money I've been paying in all these years.

bmccaffrey
02-06-2018, 09:19 PM
The good thing everybody is i'm on my wife's insurance. So insurance isn't a factor:pray::pray:

DGoebel
02-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Funny, one of the financial gurus just had a blog about moving the best age to retire from 65 to 70 I think. seems the reasoning was both fiscal (many folks discover they outlive their retirement savings when retiring at 65 or younger) and well they just got too bored retiring that early. I guess it would also have to do with what your expectations and needs were.....
I expect I'll work till I can't because I enjoy my work so much.

Chupaca
02-06-2018, 09:43 PM
are we talking time to do the hip replacement or retiring....?? Pain and limitations would be on the first and financial budget would be for the other...The longer you wait on the first the tougher recovery etc. is on the other hand the longer you wait for retirement the more you get paid....:dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-06-2018, 11:55 PM

Do the hips now if you have good insurance coverage. You won't see Medicare coverage until you are 65. Your full retirement age for SS is 66 or 66 & 2 months, depending on if you were born in '55 or '56. Retiring now means your SS benefit will be reduced so you need to factor that in. When will you know it's time? You just will. There is no answer that fits all. What you absolutely do not want to do is retire now and become a couch potato. That'll kill you in only a few years.

Haze
02-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Maybe I'm the odd man out but retirement is not for me. I'm 67 and just lost my job due to the company closing. I had planned to work to 70 or better. So now I'm forced into retirement yet continuing to look for employment. I like the structure of the work environment. I did have notice so I got a bunch of medical issue taken care of during my severance. By all means get your medical work done before you run out of insurance. I'm waiting for MC to start coverage for me. Wife and I are now planning a move to the southwest and a new chapter in our lives. Life is good but retirement is unsettling.

Little Blue
02-07-2018, 04:10 AM
All VERY Good Thoughts. :thumbup: Best Wishes and Good Luck with your Decisions. :ohyea:

Saluda
02-07-2018, 04:22 AM
Question only you can answer, you only have so many years on this rock. Do you want to work or enjoy yourself ? Bored ? I haven't had time to be bored.

wyliec
02-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Maybe I'm the odd man out but retirement is not for me. I'm 67 and just lost my job due to the company closing. I had planned to work to 70 or better. So now I'm forced into retirement yet continuing to look for employment. I like the structure of the work environment. I did have notice so I got a bunch of medical issue taken care of during my severance. By all means get your medical work done before you run out of insurance. I'm waiting for MC to start coverage for me. Wife and I are now planning a move to the southwest and a new chapter in our lives. Life is good but retirement is unsettling.

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say retirement is unsettling. I've been partially retired for a number of years. I recently took a temporary retirement from the hospital where I work because in order to draw that retirement I had to be out for 2 weeks, and then I could start work again at that hospital. During that short time off I felt useless, and not a productive member of society. I had plenty of things that kept me busy, but it wasn't the same as having someone counting on you for the work you do. So, I guess there are 2 odd men out.

Navydad
02-07-2018, 09:27 PM
I retired six years ago at 56 and there was no doubt in my mind that it was time to go. I worked for a company that had a very good 401K plan and I took advantage of it. I spent 38 years doing electrical work. 14 years at a small company and then 24 years at a large factory. My body has taken a beating, not all work related, and I was miserable going to work even though I had always liked my job. I too had the luxury of a wife with insurance and she also urged me to get out while I could still walk upright on my own. Only you can make the decision to go, but I will say this. I have not regretted leaving for one minute, I was ready.

RapidSpyder
02-07-2018, 09:39 PM
My retirement lasted about a month before my wife told me to get back to work. Now I pull a partial retirement and work full time doing something I enjoy.

JerryB
02-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Hi Navy,

Re: I have not regretted leaving for one minute

I'm with you on this, it was time to go. I retired from the federal gov't. ( 30 yrs + 4 yrs military ) in Sep '99. Two weeks before I left they offered me a part-time consulting job. Worked another 3 yrs at 20 hrs a week & doubled my income.

Retired completely in Jan '02. Now I run a 1-man parachute business. When people ask why, I say, 'It keeps me out of the bars.' :yes:

Jerry Baumchen

Navvet
02-08-2018, 12:27 AM
I agree with Navydad and JerryB, When it's time to go, you will know it. I retired 3 times in the last 20 years, just couldn't get the hang of it. Finally packed it in for real 2 years ago at age 58. Been working harder than I ever did before, just don't get paid for it !!!

:yes::yes::yes:Life is beautiful :yes::yes::yes:

BigGuy66
02-08-2018, 08:52 AM
...and you are already in the first stage of retiring - thinking about it. Financially, the longer you delay taking social security the more your monthly paycheck will be. At least it used to be that way... something to consider.

Along with thinking about retiring, plan to have a reason to get up every day. I'm not suggesting that it is work... a hobby, start a blog, take up painting - George W. Bush, Red Skelton, Jim Carrey, and others have. Plan rides to visit friends. Camp. Read. Join a service club. Fish. You get the idea. Before we both retired, we talked about these very things. We didn't want to sit down and slowly decompose. We love our retirement years. We are glad for the years we could and did work, but these years are the best! Good luck and I hope your surgery surpasses all expectations.
Jim

Saluda
02-08-2018, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=wyliec;1334609] During that short time off I felt useless, and not a productive member of society. QUOTE]

Put in over 40 years prior to retirement, Earned and enjoying every minute. Have never felt useless working or retired.

bmccaffrey
02-08-2018, 08:03 PM
I have worked 44yrs. I started working full time as a senior in high school. Would get out of school and work 3:30 11:30

Feels like i'm just tired and want to enjoy life . Married and started a family at 20. Still married to same woman:clap:

canamjhb
02-09-2018, 02:17 AM
I worked in the corporate world for over 35 years. One of the things I learned is that nothing is certain except for change. Things change constantly. Goals, compensation, markets, products, etc. Flexibility was required to survive. When I got to the point that I felt I had no more change left in me, I retired. Time for the younger more flexible to take the reins. After 10 years, I came out of retirement 3 years ago to "work" part time 2 days a week selling motorhomes to my peers. I absolutely enjoy using my people skills to help others find the right fit for their retirement dreams.

Your reasons and timing for retirement will happen for you