PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar on 2018’s warning

Flamewinger
02-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Just installed Baja Ron Sway bar on my ‘18 RT L and found a #4 Heim link without a blue dot. Not sure why or if they have new ones or still using bad ones?

Chupaca
02-03-2018, 05:57 PM
maybe they have corrected all the failed ones and now just have the new improved ones and don't mark them to show they are the new improved ones...:gaah::dontknow:seems they would change the number from a 4 so it is clear....

Bob Denman
02-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.
I've added Ron's end-links as well.

2dogs
02-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Ever seen the results of a broken plastic heim link? Not a pretty sight. I'm so glad I installed my sway bar and metal links from Ron.

Bob Denman
02-04-2018, 12:42 PM
The busted heim link isn't pretty... but the bikes will still be ride-able!
They'll get you to where you need to be; in order to replace it. :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
02-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Just replace the whole set. Sway bar and Heim links. It's cheap peace of mind.

Bob Denman
02-04-2018, 12:49 PM
:agree: :2thumbs:

JayBros
02-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Just replace the whole set. Sway bar and Heim links. It's cheap peace of mind.

Since a BajaRon swaybar is larger and stiffer than an OEM bar and since an owner does not know what the load strength of the OEM Heim links is and how much of a safety factor is built into them, it would be very unwise to replace the bar and not the Heim links. Rons sells the bar and Heim links as a set. Unless one is an engineer who has tested the OEM Heim links and knows they can withstand the added loads of Ron's bar why would one even consider not installing the links Ron includes in the package?

Samson
02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Pretty cheap insurance to just replace the bar and the links. Great peace of mind. Seems odd that a 2018 would need this but... I did the 2016 F3 T I have and it is a big change in performance.

Bob Denman
02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
You could "get away" with the OEM links, when using a "Ron-Bar" on the 2010 to 2012 models.
But not with the newer chassis... nojoke

JerryB
02-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: You could "get away" with the OEM links, when using a "Ron-Bar" on the 2010 to 2012 models.

I am sure that your intentions are good. However, you are far from being an engineer. And, IMO, this is dangerous advice.

As BajaRon posted in another thread: There is a lot of misunderstanding and even maybe some bad information out there regarding this whole sway bar issue.

Getting away' with something & running off of the road at speed are two very different things.

Let's leave the technical discussion to the technical people.

Jerry Baumchen

ofdave
02-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: You could "get away" with the OEM links, when using a "Ron-Bar" on the 2010 to 2012 models.

I am sure that your intentions are good. However, you are far from being an engineer. And, IMO, this is dangerous advice.

As BajaRon posted in another thread: There is a lot of misunderstanding and even maybe some bad information out there regarding this whole sway bar issue.

Getting away' with something & running off of the road at speed are two very different things.

Jerry Baumchen

so there, Bob
consider yourself spanked:lecturef_smilie:
I know what you meant though.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Just installed Baja Ron Sway bar on my ‘18 RT L and found a #4 Heim link without a blue dot. Not sure why or if they have new ones or still using bad ones?

You maybe should have waited to change out the sway bar to find out it handled compared to the earlier RTs. The part number has changed for 2018. For 2017 it is 706201544 and for 2018 it's 706202800. So what is different? Who knows at this point? Maybe they made it stiffer. The part number for the Heim link, which in the parts list is called a tie rod, has not changed.

AY4B
02-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Can someone please explain what the blue dot is and why it was a concern not to have one?:dontknow:
Also why it is dangerous to ride on OEM swaybar and links?

jcthorne
02-05-2018, 07:22 AM
BRP had a large number of links fail. The newer improved version had a blue dot.

We ONLY install BajaRon bars with new billet links. Have seen too many plastic links fail...even on bikes with stock sway bars much less significantly stiffer upgraded ones.

Don't be cheap with your bikes safety or reliability. If you upgrade the bar, get the links and do the job right.

Bob Denman
02-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Hi Bob,
Jerry Baumchen
Hi Jerry,
Not for nothing; have you ever run a "RonBar"?
I have.
The original Bar of his was a marked improvement over the OEM. But it wasn't as stiff as his latest version. Busted Heim links started showing up when BRP came out with the new front end design, and Ron improved his product.

And "getting away" with not changing them, is a pretty far cry from an actual endorsement of the practice.

AY4B
02-05-2018, 08:44 AM
BRP had a large number of links fail. The newer improved version had a blue dot.

We ONLY install BajaRon bars with new billet links. Have seen too many plastic links fail...even on bikes with stock sway bars much less significantly stiffer upgraded ones.

Don't be cheap with your bikes safety or reliability. If you upgrade the bar, get the links and do the job right.

I already have changed the Sway bar and links. That was one of the first things I did on my new F3. I was just curious about the blue dot and wanted that info clearly explained in this thread for me and those that have no Idea what OP was talking about.
Thanks for clearing it up.:thumbup:

AY4B
02-05-2018, 08:57 AM
I just went out to check the OEM swaybar and links that I removed from the new spyder. No blue dot anywhere. Mine looks just like the pic on the OP. Does anyone have a pic of the updated links with the blue dot?

BajaRon
02-05-2018, 09:02 AM
When BRP re-engineered the frame and suspension for the 2013 models. Somehow the OEM plastic Heim joint links quality control took a nose dive and there was a good deal of breakage with the stock bars. That is when I came out with my first upgraded Heim joint links. The originals were stainless steel. They worked great but way too much labor involved. And as demand increased I just didn't have the time to make enough to keep up.

So I went to the current Aircraft Grade, Billet Aluminum Heim joint links. There have been several improvements to this product over the years but still the same basic design.

But the only Blue Dot, plastic link issue only applies to the 2013 production run. BRP recalled the original production run and got this fixed pretty quickly.

AY4B
02-05-2018, 09:11 AM
I do remember what the links looked like that I removed from my 2014 ST limited and they were toy like plastic ribbed. Not nearly as beefy as the plastic ones I took off the F3. I made a comment on another thread that they look like something right out of a cracker jack box.

AY4B
02-05-2018, 09:18 AM
When BRP re-engineered the frame and suspension for the 2013 models. Somehow the OEM plastic Heim joint links quality control took a nose dive and there was a good deal of breakage with the stock bars. That is when I came out with my first upgraded Heim joint links. The originals were stainless steel. They worked great but way too much labor involved. And as demand increased I just didn't have the time to make enough to keep up.

So I went to the current Aircraft Grade, Billet Aluminum Heim joint links. There have been several improvements to this product over the years but still the same basic design.

But the only Blue Dot, plastic link issue only applies to the 2013 production run. BRP recalled the original production run and got this fixed pretty quickly.
So the blue dot was only for the 2013 's?

SpyderAnn01
02-05-2018, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=JerryB;1333956]Hi Bob,

Jerry

If you purchase the bar for a pre 2013 RT or for an F3 you do not have to purchase the upgraded links. If you are buying a bar for a 13 or newer RT, Ron only sells them as a set with the links. So even though Bob is not an engineer, what he said was correct.

Bob Denman
02-05-2018, 12:59 PM
:shocked: You mean that this old blind hog finally found an acorn??? :D

JerryB
02-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: have you ever run a "RonBar"?

I bought my '08 in early 2014 & the very first thing I did once it was home was to buy a BajaRon sway bar & install it.

At that time Ron was selling the sway bar by itself and felt that the original links would be OK.

Later he informed me that I should get his upgraded links; which I did.

IMO everyone putting a BajaRon sway bar on any year of Spyder should use the upgraded links. That is until Ron says otherwise.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
02-05-2018, 01:45 PM
And you are of course; entitled to that opinion. :thumbup:
Ron builds a GREAT product, and I've already got one on my new bike!

2dogs
02-05-2018, 01:54 PM
The busted heim link isn't pretty... but the bikes will still be ride-able!
They'll get you to where you need to be; in order to replace it. :thumbup:

Yes Bob you are absolutely correct, you can ride a spyder with a broken heim link.............all the darn way to a crash scene. At a Spyder Rally in 2015 I met a nice gentleman who'd broken a link on his RT. That broken link got that gentleman a ride to the scene of his crash as well as to the hospital, not some place he needed or wanted to be. BRP upgraded the broken link all neatly wrapped up inside a brand new 2015 RTS-SE6 in the color of his choice, thanks to a traffic accident investigation and a competent attorney. So, in the beginning it certainly wasn't a pretty picture, but all in all it came out ok.

SpyderAnn01
02-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: have you ever run a "RonBar"?

I bought my '08 in early 2014 & the very first thing I did once it was home was to buy a BajaRon sway bar & install it.

At that time Ron was selling the sway bar by itself and felt that the original links would be OK.

Later he informed me that I should get his upgraded links; which I did.

IMO everyone putting a BajaRon sway bar on any year of Spyder should use the upgraded links. That is until Ron says otherwise.

Jerry Baumchen
I agree that everyone should install the links but it is not mandatory on the older models.

Bob Denman
02-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Yes Bob you are absolutely correct, you can ride a spyder with a broken heim link.............all the darn way to a crash scene. At a Spyder Rally in 2015 I met a nice gentleman who'd broken a link on his RT. That broken link got that gentleman a ride to the scene of his crash as well as to the hospital, not some place he needed or wanted to be. BRP upgraded the broken link all neatly wrapped up inside a brand new 2015 RTS-SE6 in the color of his choice, thanks to a traffic accident investigation and a competent attorney. So, in the beginning it certainly wasn't a pretty picture, but all in all it came out ok.
I sometimes forget that no t all riders know how to adapt to a changing situation. :opps:

... If you know what you're doing: it shouldn't pose a huge risk.

johnsimion
02-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Being pretty new to Spyders, can somebody explain what is the problem with the OEM sway bar and the links? My Spyder is a brand new 2017 and rides and steers great. Heck, I've been known to do donuts on some of the new (unused) streets nearby and have been buzzing on-ramps as if I was in a Porsche. Are people saying I'm risking my life because my steering could fail on me? If not, why would I want to mess with it, especially while I'm still under warranty? I'm already cornering as fast as I'd ever want to. What would a BajaRon sway bar and billet links do for me?

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-05-2018, 11:50 PM
I'm already cornering as fast as I'd ever want to. What would a BajaRon sway bar and billet links do for me?
Let you corner faster than you want to! :thumbup:

JerryB
02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Hi John,

Re: why would I want to mess with it

Based upon your post, I doubt that you would.

I installed the BajaRon sway bar to allow me to corner faster/better/etc. I doubt that I will ever use the sway bar to its maximum benefit in these areas. However, should I ever get into that 'tight spot' when I would really need what the sway bar offers, I know that it will help.

A better/stiffer suspension is, like a lot of things in life, not for everybody.

Jerry Baumchen

SpyderAnn01
02-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Being pretty new to Spyders, can somebody explain what is the problem with the OEM sway bar and the links? My Spyder is a brand new 2017 and rides and steers great. Heck, I've been known to do donuts on some of the new (unused) streets nearby and have been buzzing on-ramps as if I was in a Porsche. Are people saying I'm risking my life because my steering could fail on me? If not, why would I want to mess with it, especially while I'm still under warranty? I'm already cornering as fast as I'd ever want to. What would a BajaRon sway bar and billet links do for me?

It let’s you crank it up a notch from good to great.

AY4B
02-06-2018, 06:26 PM
There is a difference between good enough and Outstanding.:ohyea::ohyea:

BajaRon
02-07-2018, 11:40 AM
There is a difference between good enough and Outstanding.:ohyea::ohyea:

I like this answer!

I will tell this story again because I never get tired of it.

I just don't have the room or the finances to purchase a Spyder every time a new one comes out to test new products. So I ask for 'Testers' (volunteers) from the Spyder community. People that I know who are very familiar with the Spyder, do their own work and are willing to tell me the truth, even if it is brutal. Better to hear it from a tester than from a customer down the line.

So, for the F3 bar kit project I called SpyderPops. He has a shop, installs a lot of my bar kits, rides a lot and had just purchased 2 F3's, (one for himself and one for his wife). But he told me that his F3 handled so well stock that he was not interested in putting one of my prototype bar kits on either of his Spyders!

Then, about a week later he said he had a long time Spyder customer who just purchased an F3 and wanted a BajaRon bar kit installed. Harvey asked if it would be OK to install my prototype on this customers Spyder (with the customer's knowledge of what was going on). Harvey said that after the install he would take a log ride on some good twisty roads with this customer, swap F3's and ride back. That way he could give me a very good assessment of the difference as both F3's were stock other than the bar kit.

After this test ride Harvey called me saying; 'Send me 2 F3 bar kits'. He said that the F3 handles very well stock but fantastic with the Bajaron bar kit installed.

And the rest is history, as they say.

Thanks Harvey! And thank you all for the support I receive here at Spyderlovers.com. It is greatly appreciated!

BajaRon
02-07-2018, 11:47 AM
It has come to my attention that the new 2018 F3's and RT's have a different part # for the sway bar, (Thanks to a Spyderlover informant who contacted me). And the obvious question is, is this a different, better, improved sway bar?

I have looked into this and since the sway bar bushing part number has not changed it is likely that the sway bar also has not changed. BRP is know to change part #s when the supplier changes. This makes sense because if there is any issue with a part, this helps BRP know where that part came from.

However, there is more to a sway bar than diameter. I have in the process of getting 1 each of these sway bars for testing. Once that is done I will publish my findings.

Mad Mac
02-07-2018, 02:29 PM
I installed the sway bar on our '14 due to the fact that when I rode solo, the bike was fine for what little body roll I experienced, but with both of us onboard, it had way too much body roll in turns. After the install I felt the :spyder:was a lot more controllable in turns and more "planted". Just my .02 worth. Mad Mac:doorag: