PDA

View Full Version : US Shooting is my Olympic sport

Cavman
02-01-2018, 02:19 AM
https://m.wimp.com/the-real-cost-of-making-it-to-the-olympics/

I make donations to the US Olympic shooters even if that sport is not politically correct. Our FIRST Olympic gold medal at the last Olympics was won in shooting and got just a mention by the press. What a shame!

Peter Aawen
02-01-2018, 02:33 AM
The sad news about that clip is that, if your Olympic Committee is anything like ours (& I suspect that it IS!) then we've just seen 2 Olympians who will probably find it VERY HARD to get any future support from the OC because they had the balls to tell it like it really is!! :shocked:

And that's especially the case if a competitor's chosen sport isn't one of the sexy or popular sports that makes for great television or almost always results in a medal the OC can boast about, regardless of how much or more likely, how little that committee may have contributed!! :sour:

Saluda
02-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Olympic shooting is correct to me in every way.

wyliec
02-01-2018, 07:58 AM
The only Olympic shooting that holds interest for me is the biathlon. That requires endurance training, where you actually exercise to prepare. The other shooting where there is basically just standing is boring to me. Just my opinion.

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Olympic Shooting Sports: the single Olympic Sport that has never had a participant suffer an injury...
...Just sayin'...

RinconRyder
02-01-2018, 12:56 PM
I make donations to the US Olympic shooters even if that sport is not politically correct. Our FIRST Olympic gold medal at the last Olympics was won in shooting and got just a mention by the press. What a shame!

Perhaps that is because shooting is not an actual sport and the vast majority of people don't participate and are not interested.

Shooting is not alone in this category. Consider curling. Most people outside of Canada have never even heard of that activity much less played it. How about archery and all the 'demonstration' events? Anything that is judged instead of scored is an exhibition and politics has historically been a great influence of judging (think figure skating/dancing).

I used to go target shooting with my father as a youngster and really enjoyed it. But that doesn't make it a sport, much less one that should be in the Olympic Games. Or, perhaps that is why the Games are called the Games instead of Sports.

Consider: "A sport is an athletic competition between two or more human participants whose purpose is to outscore the opponent within a given set of rules, judged by absolute scoring and not esoteric judging, without intentional injury to either party, and does not include the use of vehicles, weapons, cards or animals."

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 01:01 PM
It's not a sport?

Try holding a three-pound handgun out at arm's length with just one hand...

... now try to hit a dime-sized target!

I'll even let you pick the range...
50 feet
25 yards
50 yards

Tell me that's not a sport that requires a lot of practice, training, and perseverance! nojoke

Chupaca
02-01-2018, 02:13 PM
They need some catagory changes...Like trikes, reverse trikes and autocyles...:roflblack:. they need to specify active sports and passive skills. Seems now with enough support you can make anything an olympic event....:banghead:

kep-up
02-01-2018, 02:31 PM
It's not a sport?

50 feet
25 yards
50 yards

Tell me that's not a sport that requires a lot of practice, training, and perseverance! nojoke

Add another twist -- make that a flintlock pistol with the same parameters.

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 02:53 PM
:shocked: That makes it about 1465 times harder!! :yikes:

Are we talking about a smoothbore? :D

wyliec
02-01-2018, 03:21 PM
I was just reading where shooting was part of the summer Olympics. Is the shooting for the winter Olympics just biathlon?

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
I believe so...
But it's considered to be an Alpine event: not a shooting event. :dontknow:

RinconRyder
02-01-2018, 04:01 PM
It's not a sport?

50 feet
25 yards
50 yards

Degree of Difficulty does not define a Sport. And, although athletes could participate in shooting, one does not have to be.

JerryB
02-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Hi RinconRyder,

Re: Anything that is judged instead of scored is an exhibition . . . A sport is an athletic competition between two or more human participants

I'm with you. Way too many 'sports trying to get into the Olympics.

For many, many years, a number of people tried to get skydiving into the Olympics. It has mostly failed because it requires an airplane.

But, there was a lot of exhibition jumping at the '88 Olympics in Seoul.

Jerry Baumchen

Cavman
02-01-2018, 04:49 PM
The number 2 participating sport in the US are the shooting sports.
Number one is bowling and number three is golf.

pegasus1300
02-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Degree of Difficulty does not define a Sport. And, although athletes could participate in shooting, one does not have to be.

At the level that these people are shooting at they better be athletes. They need to be able to control their breathing,have enough strength and stamina to go round after round with the same consistent performance in the last round,or better, as the first round

RinconRyder
02-01-2018, 05:22 PM
At the level that these people are shooting at they better be athletes. They need to be able to control their breathing,have enough strength and stamina to go round after round with the same consistent performance in the last round,or better, as the first round

Put them on a motocross bike, soccer field or ice rink and then tell me they are athletes.

As I said before, they CAN be athletes but it isn't required.

RinconRyder
02-01-2018, 05:23 PM
The number 2 participating sport in the US are the shooting sports.
Number one is bowling and number three is golf.

Activities. Not sports.

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 06:09 PM
What about NASCAR?

:D

kep-up
02-01-2018, 07:50 PM
:shocked: That makes it about 1465 times harder!! :yikes:

Are we talking about a smoothbore? :D

Naah, that's tooo hard.

Just a 10.5" rifled barrel carrying a
patched 1/2" round ball pushed by 28gr FFFG.

newbert
02-01-2018, 09:08 PM
....Shooting is not alone in this category. Consider curling. Most people outside of Canada have never even heard of that activity much less played it. How about archery and all the 'demonstration' events? Anything that is judged instead of scored is an exhibition and politics has historically been a great influence of judging (think figure skating/dancing)......

Consider: "A sport is an athletic competition between two or more human participants whose purpose is to outscore the opponent within a given set of rules, judged by absolute scoring and not esoteric judging, without intentional injury to either party, and does not include the use of vehicles, weapons, cards or animals."

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

RinconRyder
02-01-2018, 09:17 PM
What about NASCAR?:D

NASCAR, and other vehicle activities have almost always been called "motorsports" putting them in a sub-class of sport. In the old days it was not common to have an athlete in the drivers seat. Not any longer. Nevertheless, I still would not call any vehicle racing activity (other than skating or biking) a 'sport'.

A study several years ago found that the most athletic of athletes were soccer players followed closely by motocrossers. Both require the upmost physical abilities and endurance and as someone who has done both (not professionally though) I can say I might have reversed the order but mox nix.

Mazo EMS2
02-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Olympic Shooting Sports: the single Olympic Sport that has never had a participant suffer an injury...
...Just sayin'...

But how can this possibly be??? Guns kill people.....why aren't people dying during these shooting competitions? This is so strange to me. I don't understand.....:gaah:

Bob Denman
02-02-2018, 07:58 AM
:D Tell your Pharmacist that your medications need some adjustments... :joke::joke::joke::joke:

mowin
02-02-2018, 11:05 AM
If shooting isn't a sport, than neither is golf.

Bob Denman
02-02-2018, 11:10 AM

RinconRyder
02-02-2018, 12:39 PM
If shooting isn't a sport, than neither is golf.

Agreed.

Bob Denman
02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Call it whatever you lie: THIS is pretty Sporty! :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6y7ZlNyLQ

Granted: it's IPSC... but it's not too shabby! :thumbup:

mowin
02-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Call it whatever you lie: THIS is pretty Sporty! :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6y7ZlNyLQ

Granted: it's IPSC... but it's not too shabby! :thumbup:

Only wish I was anywhere near that good.

ES44AC
02-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I think 3 gun should be in the Olympics! I'm glad they still have what they have thought.

Mad Mac
02-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Only wish I was anywhere near that good.

You and I both!!:agree::agree:
Mad Mac