PDA

View Full Version : Good and Bad news

Warlock
01-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Not real bad, but bad enough. Went riding today with some fellow Spyder riders. About the last 10 miles I kept smelling burnt oil. Went on to the house and was getting ready to go back to town to get the wife a new car tag when I noticed spots of oil on the shifter side of the bike on the side panels and a little on my sports fender. Pulled it back into the shop and went to town and took care of the tag. Didn't take long to find the problem. I had just changed oil about 100 miles back and was thinking maybe a plug or filter housing leak. None of them. Found oil cooler has a small leak in it. Looked from the front and could see where it is leaking. Couldn't tell if something hit it or just went bad. Ordered a new one today. Found a great place to get parts at a good price. 2WheelPro has good prices and free shipping over $99.00. Now waiting on part to come in.
David

youngers
01-31-2018, 05:50 PM
hope the cooler fits well , and all ends up smiles down the road !

Bob Denman
01-31-2018, 05:51 PM
It's a good thing that you caught this early! :clap:
Good luck with the repairs! :thumbup:

UtahPete
01-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Not real bad, but bad enough. Went riding today with some fellow Spyder riders. About the last 10 miles I kept smelling burnt oil. Went on to the house and was getting ready to go back to town to get the wife a new car tag when I noticed spots of oil on the shifter side of the bike on the side panels and a little on my sports fender. Pulled it back into the shop and went to town and took care of the tag. Didn't take long to find the problem. I had just changed oil about 100 miles back and was thinking maybe a plug or filter housing leak. None of them. Found oil cooler has a small leak in it. Looked from the front and could see where it is leaking. Couldn't tell if something hit it or just went bad. Ordered a new one today. Found a great place to get parts at a good price. 2WheelPro has good prices and free shipping over $99.00. Now waiting on part to come in. David
Wow, good thing you caught it before a long trip.

Chupaca
01-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Though that is a great price. Even at cheapcycleparts.com they are $182.49. As mentioned above good you caught it when you did. If you find out what happened let us know as a rare happening....:thumbup:

Warlock
01-31-2018, 08:50 PM
Though that is a great price. Even at cheapcycleparts.com they are $182.49. As mentioned above good you caught it when you did. If you find out what happened let us know as a rare happening....:thumbup:

Looked at it again and from what I could see something had hit it. No big indent just a small drip. Checked my oil and looks like I might had lost maybe about 1/8 of a quart. Will probably end up dropping the oil out and put fresh back in it. Looks to be a pretty simply change out. Will install the fuel hose clamps on the oil lines when I install the new cooler. Never did see anything in the road while riding, but had to be something. Got a fellow about 30 miles from me that supposedly can repair my old one. Will see and keep it for a spare in case I need it or fellow riders in a bind and needs one. I know it fits I think GS, RS, RSS, ST and RT's thru 12 or 13 models.
David

Warlock
02-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Removed the oil cooler this morning. After further investigation looks like something had hit the protective screen and pushed it up against the bottom of the cooler. With time and vibration and movement of the cooler the protective screen caused the hole in the cooler. It was at the very bottom of the cooler. I took and bent the screen under to help it stay in place better. Going to add a piece of Velcro to the bottom of the new cooler. Shouldn't interfere with the cooling of the oil any.
David