PDA

View Full Version : Where to position Spyder on a trailer?

machead
01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Howdy,

I just purchased an Aluma UT14 trailer to haul my Spyder behind our motorhome. Got a good deal on it.

My question for the gurus out there is this. Since the trailer is much longer (14') than the Spyder, should I place the Spyder all the way to the front of the trailer (and therefore closer to the tongue and tongue jack which is rated at 800 lbs) or place further back and over the trailer's axle?

--Allen

Zip
01-31-2018, 11:42 AM
Over axle

UtahPete
01-31-2018, 11:48 AM
Howdy, I just purchased an Aluma UT14 trailer to haul my Spyder behind our motorhome. Got a good deal on it. My question for the gurus out there is this. Since the trailer is much longer (14') than the Spyder, should I place the Spyder all the way to the front of the trailer (and therefore closer to the tongue and tongue jack which is rated at 800 lbs) or place further back and over the trailer's axle? --Allen
The right answer is 'wherever it gives you the required tongue weight'. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the total load. The trailer is 800# and figure the bike in round numbers is 1000#, so you want the loaded tongue weight to be 180-270#. A bathroom scale should be adequate for checking this out.

Bob Denman
01-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Actually, I think that the top of the trailer is the best place to put it! :roflblack:
Seriously: give yourself a fair amount of weight on the hitch.

Theory says to make sure that the balance point is about 10% forward of the center point on the trailer... :shocked:
Set yourself up with about two-hundred pounds of hitch weight, and you'll be good to go! :thumbup:

Chupaca
01-31-2018, 12:21 PM
If you use a bathroom scale best block it up to hitch height...:thumbup: if at floor level your throwing the combined weight forward...

RinconRyder
01-31-2018, 12:35 PM
Look at the label on the towing vehicle trailer hitch for recommended tongue weight and adjust accordingly.

UtahPete
01-31-2018, 08:36 PM
Look at the label on the towing vehicle trailer hitch for recommended tongue weight and adjust accordingly.
He had said the hitch is rated at 800#, but I'm pretty he doesn't need to weight the tongue that much. I doubt the trailer tongue is rated that high, actually, but I could be wrong.

Mazo EMS2
01-31-2018, 08:43 PM
To be simple....I think if you put half the bike forward of the axle, and the rear of the bike rear of the trailer axle, you'll be just fine. This is pretty much what I do with my 10' trailer and it works well. If you're truly looking to be technical, break out the scale and weigh it up.

machead
01-31-2018, 10:23 PM
He had said the hitch is rated at 800#, but I'm pretty he doesn't need to weight the tongue that much. I doubt the trailer tongue is rated that high, actually, but I could be wrong.

From the specs on the Aluma site for the trailer I bought, it just says "Weight: 800#" and then the page also has "Swivel tongue jack, 800# capacity"

https://www.alumaklm.com/recreational/atv/utv/ut14-utv-trailer

Bob Denman
02-01-2018, 07:48 AM
From the specs on the Aluma site for the trailer I bought, it just says "Weight: 800#" and then the page also has "Swivel tongue jack, 800# capacity"

https://www.alumaklm.com/recreational/atv/utv/ut14-utv-trailer

Those are the maximum load ratinngs for a different usage.
Make it front-heavy enough that it tracks nicely behind you, and you're good to go. :thumbup:

Little Blue
02-01-2018, 09:30 AM
ALL very Good Tips. After you get the bike positioned and the weight right Block Mark your trailer for future SPYDER positioning. Nice trailer by the way. :thumbup:

MR. H1956
02-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Most people load trailers on a 60-40 scale. With the 60% being more to the front of the trailer. That way the trailer doesn't wobble back and forth going down the road. So pull the spyder to the front then adjust it back from there to get the best balance of the weight on the trailer. The tung weight is how much weight it holds setting right on the trailer hitch not the displacement of what is loaded on it.