PDA

View Full Version : Tire/wheel balancing my experience

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Back in 09 I switched to Auto tires for my Spyder ...... I had all three balanced with a high speed machine ..... I have not balanced any of my Four rear tires since and have not had any issues with them ............ I just mounted two new winter tread tires on new rims and didn't balance them either.... I did the tire Dot air nozzle alignment, that's all .... I then mounted them on my Toyt Pk-up on the front wheels ....one at a time ....... To test them, I took the trk. up to 80mph ( separately ) and I couldn't detect any vibes ...... I'm not going to balance these either ......... just food for thought, I think auto tires have improved quite a lot from the old days. ... I was pleasantly surprised that I won't have to balance these ....... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Like the song asks: "Will it go round in circles?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghj5V5cUo1s

Chupaca
01-29-2018, 07:15 PM
We used to static balance and things always worked. You seldom had to add weight if you lined up the dot. The problem was the scarf joint on the bands used but things have changed. You should be fine...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2018, 09:37 PM
We used to static balance and things always worked. You seldom had to add weight if you lined up the dot. The problem was the scarf joint on the bands used but things have changed. You should be fine...:thumbup:
Yep I think your correct...... In the old days you Absolutely had to balance them ..... today I think not so much ......Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
01-29-2018, 10:34 PM
When I took my front wheels into Costco to have tires mounted I did not say anything to them about balancing. (I have centrimatic balancers) They probably assumed I wanted them "mounted and balanced". The wheels were delivered to me with one little weight on one of the wheels. Nothing else, just one little weight. Not enough to give a thought to. New tires are, indeed, built way better.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-30-2018, 02:04 AM
When I took my front wheels into Costco to have tires mounted I did not say anything to them about balancing. (I have centrimatic balancers) They probably assumed I wanted them "mounted and balanced". The wheels were delivered to me with one little weight on one of the wheels. Nothing else, just one little weight. Not enough to give a thought to. New tires are, indeed, built way better. I'm curious about this .... why did you need any additional weight ...if you have the Centrimatic balance ring ????? ...........Mike :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-30-2018, 07:55 AM
ha ha ha ha ha

jcthorne
01-30-2018, 07:58 AM
When I took my front wheels into Costco to have tires mounted I did not say anything to them about balancing. (I have centrimatic balancers) They probably assumed I wanted them "mounted and balanced". The wheels were delivered to me with one little weight on one of the wheels. Nothing else, just one little weight. Not enough to give a thought to. New tires are, indeed, built way better.

Unless they are Kenda or Arachnids.

mowin
01-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Since Mike is talking about truck tires, I'll chime in. My 3500 takes 275-70r-18. 10ply tries. Fairly aggressive as I plow. I'll guarantee you if you don't balance them, you'll loose your fillings, quick. That's a lot of tire.

I have noticed, cheaper tires, at times have been a bear to get balanced, take more weights, than more expensive better quality tires.

I'm sure smaller, less aggressive tread tires are more precise.

jneg2
01-30-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm curious about this .... why did you need any additional weight ...if you have the Centrimatic balance ring ????? ...........Mike :thumbup:

If I could chime in here.. The Centramatic balancers don't come off with the tire, so the techs wouldn't know not to balance (although now I'm finding out that having the tire balanced would make the Centramatics job easier!)

canamjhb
01-30-2018, 12:06 PM
I'm curious about this .... why did you need any additional weight ...if you have the Centrimatic balance ring ????? ...........Mike :thumbup:

Mike, I just took the wheels to Costco so they did not know about my Centrimatics. I guess they just automatically assumed I needed them balanced. But it was sure minimal and I was happy when I picket them up and saw the green valve stem caps...:D