PDA

View Full Version : WIN 10 Computer Question

Joe T.
01-29-2018, 06:21 PM
All,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am about to buy a rather expensive (for me) high performance desktop computer. It's primary purpose will be to run some CFD software I recently purchased This software is computationally intensive. I need as much computing power as I can afford. I am looking at two 'GAMING' computers from Best Buy. I am not interested in gaming, but they have the processing power I need and more graphics power than I need. Both come with WIN 10 installed. Not a problem for my CFD software, but I have a lot of custom software I use daily that also needs as fast of a processor and as much DDR RAM as I can get. So naturally I want to run it on this machine too.

Unfortunately, the custom software is not compatible with WIN 10. It only runs on WIN 7 64 bit.

The GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy tried to convince me to run the Win 10 in 'Compatible Win 7 Mode' instead of installing Win 7. They said Win 7 may introduce some 'driver issues.' I did not go down that path - - -

I would like that solution if it works. Otherwise, I will have to have Win 10 uninstalled and Win 7 installed.

Do any of you folks have any experience running Win 10 in Win 7 COMPATIBILITY Mode? If so, does it do well with Win 7 software?

Thanks again in advance
Joe T.

Bob Denman
01-29-2018, 06:35 PM
I had to buy a new 'puter for my Office, and it ended up coming with "10" installed.
(I would much rather have had "7")
In short: this thing is a piece of garbage! :gaah:
Tell them to load it with "7", or lose the sale! nojoke

Purple Guy
01-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Under a dual-boot scenario, you can run both versions of Windows on separate hard drive partitions on the same computer.
Your Windows 7 stays safe and sound in its own partition; you just borrow some of its host drive's free space to create a new partition in which to install Windows 10 and then you have both options...

RinconRyder
01-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Tell them to load it with "7", or lose the sale! nojoke

I am still running Win 7 as well but BB cannot legally load Win 7 on a new machine. Microsheet officially discontinued new releases so no new licenses are available now. He would have to load an "aftermarket" version if he can find one. The computer itself may have problems with Win 7 drivers though.

RinconRyder
01-29-2018, 09:51 PM
Do any of you folks have any experience running Win 10 in Win 7 COMPATIBILITY Mode? If so, does it do well with Win 7 software?
Thanks again in advance
Joe T.

Instead of spending big bucks buying a BB PC why not build your own? It isn't rocket science and you can customize the processor(s) and RAM to your heart content and at a much cheaper cost. Since you are not going to game with the new
PC it makes no sense to spend big $$$ on a gaming graphics card. Put that money instead into the processor(s) or RAM.

You should be able to find a good version of WIN 7 around or buy someone's old PC with Win 7 license and use that (make sure you have the license and original install disks).

A couple days' work and you will have a custom PC configured for your specific usage and save some money to boot.

Search the web for configuration tables for the machine then buy components by price and need. Otherwise, contact users of the software you will be running and find out what their configuration is. There are usually forums for every conceivable use.

pitzerwm
01-30-2018, 01:50 AM
I have Win10 and a program or two that wouldn't run on it, when you install it you tell it to use Win7 compatibility and it usually will work fine.

I would buy from Costco, you get double the warranty time and you can return it without any BS, not the same at BB. Usually, better prices at Costco too.

hypurone
01-30-2018, 03:48 PM
In all my experience with Win10 so far, I have only run across one program that would not reliably run in compatibility mode. And even that turned out to be a driver issue for the hardware that program used that didn't like being run in CM. Simple fix was to update the driver for the hardware. even if you forget to install the application and forget to choose to do it with CM, you can always find its exe later, right click and choose properties, then the compatibility tab and set it from there....

stevencovert
01-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Most programs I have run fine in compatibility mode. I have software compilers, 3D CAD programs, etc. The first thing to do is go the softwares web site and see. By now there should be plenty of feedback on WIN10 use.

As far as Best Buy, someplace like TigerDirect.com can get you FAR more bang for your buck. Sounds like you don't need a high end video card, which means you can get a better CPU. Intel i7 or i9 would be the way to go, with 16G or RAM in my opinion for number crunching. The "gaming" aspect usually means an expensive video card, which you don't need.

Check this for $630:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6270643&Sku=40862006

It is a computational powerhouse, with a good video card. The Ryzen CPU is incredible.

Just my humble opinion!

Joe T.
01-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Under a dual-boot scenario, you can run both versions of Windows on separate hard drive partitions on the same computer.
Your Windows 7 stays safe and sound in its own partition; you just borrow some of its host drive's free space to create a new partition in which to install Windows 10 and then you have both options...

Thanks. I'll have to learn more about that approach.

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T.
01-31-2018, 06:55 PM
Instead of spending big bucks buying a BB PC why not build your own? It isn't rocket science and you can customize the processor(s) and RAM to your heart content and at a much cheaper cost. Since you are not going to game with the new
PC it makes no sense to spend big $$$ on a gaming graphics card. Put that money instead into the processor(s) or RAM.

You should be able to find a good version of WIN 7 around or buy someone's old PC with Win 7 license and use that (make sure you have the license and original install disks).

A couple days' work and you will have a custom PC configured for your specific usage and save some money to boot.

Search the web for configuration tables for the machine then buy components by price and need. Otherwise, contact users of the software you will be running and find out what their configuration is. There are usually forums for every conceivable use.

I've been trying that approach. Using "Portatech" (http://www.portatech.com/products/product.cshtml?id=65994&o=96123&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjeKv_bGD2QIVSpV-Ch2otAGIEAMYASAAEgKdFPD_BwE) and a minimal grahics card (2GB RAM) is ~1,200.

The Best Buy machine (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-recon-blue/5948610.p?skuId=5948610&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=51&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=e7cee94f-0edc-42f4-a51e-0ed765c3e2d4&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199262&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2) is $1,150 with the extra performace of the video card.

I read recently that ANYTHING associated with GAMING has become very expensive (as shown in the comparison above due to the differences in video cards), but DELL, HP, etc., buy in such large quantities that they get components at substantial discounts.

I would love to go to a local computer builder. The two I have tried here in Wichita (Computer Depot and RIBBIT Computer) were not very interested in building a machine. any other suggestions?

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T.
01-31-2018, 06:57 PM
I have Win10 and a program or two that wouldn't run on it, when you install it you tell it to use Win7 compatibility and it usually will work fine.

I would buy from Costco, you get double the warranty time and you can return it without any BS, not the same at BB. Usually, better prices at Costco too.

Thanks. I have been checking COSTCO. I can't find what I need.

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T.
01-31-2018, 07:00 PM
In all my experience with Win10 so far, I have only run across one program that would not reliably run in compatibility mode. And even that turned out to be a driver issue for the hardware that program used that didn't like being run in CM. Simple fix was to update the driver for the hardware. even if you forget to install the application and forget to choose to do it with CM, you can always find its exe later, right click and choose properties, then the compatibility tab and set it from there....

:dontknow:

Uhh, thanks, I think! You are way over my GEEZER head. But, I appreciate the info. I may try to discuss that with a local computer guy.

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T.
01-31-2018, 07:04 PM
Most programs I have run fine in compatibility mode. I have software compilers, 3D CAD programs, etc. The first thing to do is go the softwares web site and see. By now there should be plenty of feedback on WIN10 use.

As far as Best Buy, someplace like TigerDirect.com can get you FAR more bang for your buck. Sounds like you don't need a high end video card, which means you can get a better CPU. Intel i7 or i9 would be the way to go, with 16G or RAM in my opinion for number crunching. The "gaming" aspect usually means an expensive video card, which you don't need.

Check this for $630:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6270643&Sku=40862006

It is a computational powerhouse, with a good video card. The Ryzen CPU is incredible.

Just my humble opinion!

Thanks.

The CFD software, the reason I need a new machine, is limited to 8 cores. Apparently, what is critical is clock speed and DDR4 RAM. Hence, my desire to get the RYZEN 7 1800 with 32 GB DDR4 RAM. About a 2GB video card, perhaps a SSD M.2 PCIe card (ain't sure if that would help as 'additional' RAM or not), and the usual hard drive, wireless, etc.

Regards,
Joe T.

PS

The HP your link describes uses the RYZEN 5 1500 processor. I don't believe it runs anywhere near 3.5 GHz without some serious over-clocking. But, I'll check Tiger Direct for other options.

Thanks again,
Joe T.

keefer
02-01-2018, 09:25 AM
You can still buy a computer with Windows 7 from Dell.com. Look in the business computer section.

stevencovert
02-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Thanks.

The CFD software, the reason I need a new machine, is limited to 8 cores. Apparently, what is critical is clock speed and DDR4 RAM. Hence, my desire to get the RYZEN 7 1800 with 32 GB DDR4 RAM. About a 2GB video card, perhaps a SSD M.2 PCIe card (ain't sure if that would help as 'additional' RAM or not), and the usual hard drive, wireless, etc.

Regards,
Joe T.

PS

The HP your link describes uses the RYZEN 5 1500 processor. I don't believe it runs anywhere near 3.5 GHz without some serious over-clocking. But, I'll check Tiger Direct for other options.

Thanks again,
Joe T.

AMD makes good 8 core (4 hard, 4 virtual I think like Intel). I have one and like it a lot, plus it is usually a lot cheaper. The SSD M.2 PCI is not RAM, however you can use as an SSD drive to boot windows and run your program. Will definitely make a huge difference. Those are 32 or 64 bit versus the standard USB interface SSD drives; the M.2 is far faster then the regular SSD drives. It has a parallel interface versus USB's serial interface.

I built my own, and once I chose a decent motherboard (usually Gigabyte or ASUS) and the CPU, I look at the specs for the RAM speed it can support. I ordered that fastest (cost more). With good fast DDR4 and the M.2 that will speed up the usual bottlenecks - CPU talking to the hard drive and memory. My 8 core AMD Black is 3.8GHz, overclocked to 4.1. I put a good sized cooler on it for about $40 with it's own two fans. No heat issues, run about 48C.

Video card can be whatever - it will be more than enough. GTX900 series are cheap these days, 2G prob suffice like a Zotac brand. WIN7 still available online.

Keep us posted - we geeks love to talk computer builds!

Steve

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013VTRR6Q?ref_=pfb_762lde1a8e4230jj11b9aab17cj4&tag=hydfbook0e-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-s9ntua-0B3V6U

Just saw this on Amazon - 8 real hardware cores! Only $1700 REFURBISHED :P