PDA

View Full Version : How hot does your spyder run? Ever worried?

Donk45
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I was sitting in horrible stop and go traffic yesterday and my spyder reached 6 bars for the 1st time. I did a quick search and also remember they tend to run hot, but when should I be worried? I'm about to take my first trip with my wife to the beach in a few hours and im pretty sure we are going to see some bad traffic.

Any recommendations, like shutting it off for a few min if we are dead stopped? Pulling off for a rest? I know as soon as i start driving again, it usually drops a bar, im just a little worried about sitting too long on a hot day.

Thanks!

bone crusher
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I was sitting in horrible stop and go traffic yesterday and my spyder reached 6 bars for the 1st time. I did a quick search and also remember they tend to run hot, but when should I be worried? I'm about to take my first trip with my wife to the beach in a few hours and im pretty sure we are going to see some bad traffic.

Any recommendations, like shutting it off for a few min if we are dead stopped? Pulling off for a rest? I know as soon as i start driving again, it usually drops a bar, im just a little worried about sitting too long on a hot day.

Thanks!

If it's hot and you're sitting, you will see it warm up more....your fan should kick on...if it doesn't, that's a problem...if it does, don't worry about the heat..the bike can run hot...in our area, it's gonna get a lot hotter!

Listen for the fan...don't worry about cutting the engine off...if you don't get a fan, then take it in for service...

zzneonzz
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Last year mine never got above 5 bars even at 110 but this year i hit 6 bars when its 80. My fan is cutting on so i'm not sure why its running so hot this year unless its the exaust leak i have.

bone crusher
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah...gotta keep the exhaust in mind as well.

I have run the bike at 70mph in 45 degree weather and seen only 2 bars...I've seen 5-6 bars with 90 degrees and sitting in traffic...

I don't worry as long as the bike tries to cool itself down...of course, movement is best as the bike needs airflow...

xpeschon
05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
If your coolant level is at the correct level and the fan kicks in your "good to go"... I know the feeling though, I don't like the idea of the engines running so HOT but it appears it causes no damage..

Joe

bone crusher
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
If your coolant level is at the correct level and the fan kicks in your "good to go"... I know the feeling though, I don't like the idea of the engines running so HOT but it appears it causes no damage..

Joe

Some here say to run the engine at 6-7k RPMs all the time...that alone is gonna kick up your engine temp...the bike has a Rotax...it's a good engine...all is good unless the fan doesn't work!

I think if you're cruising at 55mph on the highway and you're showing 6 bars, you have a problem...if you're in city traffic or riding at 80 mph, you're gonna see more bars...generally, at the extremes of riding...

Donk45
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks guys, I think i may just be a little paranoid. I just left my house to hit the auto part store to get an extra relay and then gas before our trip and I saw 4 bars sitting at light 5 min in. As soon as I got on the main street it went down to 4, but i still thought it was a little quick to reach 4 so soon. On the way back I hit 5....i have yet to hear the fan, but i have only hit 6 once for a minute before I started moving.

Oh yeah, i did just get it back after the 600 mile maint/oil change, HID install and 12v acc kit. Of course i think its running hot now bc i had work done but didnt even pay much attention before. I tend to worry a lil

NancysToy
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
If it gets too hot it will go into limp mode or shut down. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. Just my opinion.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Lamonster
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6961

bone crusher
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
thanks guys, I think i may just be a little paranoid. I just left my house to hit the auto part store to get an extra relay and then gas before our trip and I saw 4 bars sitting at light 5 min in. As soon as I got on the main street it went down to 4, but i still thought it was a little quick to reach 4 so soon. On the way back I hit 5....i have yet to hear the fan, but i have only hit 6 once for a minute before I started moving.

Oh yeah, i did just get it back after the 600 mile maint/oil change, HID install and 12v acc kit. Of course i think its running hot now bc i had work done but didnt even pay much attention before. I tend to worry a lil

Ride the bike and enjoy it...

Donk45
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
made it here, never had a heating issue. The trip was great especially over the bay bridge where the outside temp dropped 7 deg and just felt amazing. Passed a ton of bikes all going the opp way of me to rolling thunder.

Hit a litle bit of traffic in Annapolis where ***** was attending the Naval Ac graduation..

Donk45
05-25-2009, 03:41 PM
back home now, no over heating issues. Very successful trip, I now have about 1150 miles....:spyder:

Dudley
05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Participated in a small Memorial Day parade today in the park where we live. Seven golf carts and our Spyder. Rode about 3 miles, covering every road in the park one time. Ambient temperature was 93, ran mostly on 4 bars; fan kicked on at 5 bars and quickly dropped to 4. The Spyder was covered with dust in the end. We got quite a few smiles and thumbs up from campers in the park. Spyder now clean and in the Spyder Cave until tomorow. 10,000 miles and still humming!

prodrag69
05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
if you are worried about the heat, then there is a product by deep purple that is made to put in your radiator to decrease the temp. if the bottle has lets say 16oz in it then take out 32oz from your radiator and put the product in and then that much water. I did it and it help with mine, it lowered my temp. by about 10-15 digrese. witch is a lot......

Donk45
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks.

I've also heard people say the hindle drops the temp a bar or two....im def planning on doing that VERY soon.

Degaman
05-26-2009, 09:56 AM
On the way home from the dealer a couple months ago after he installed my hindle, I got stuck in stand-still traffic. Heat bars went to 7 and then spyder entered limp mode.

My machine still goes to 6 bars occasionally. It has backfired since purchase, so I wonder if an exhaust leak could be contributing to the overheating. Supposed to return it to the shop today to check backfiring, throttle stick, and not coming out of neutral issues.