PDA

View Full Version : Reverse

Dukester
05-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing a noise that I never heard before when I put it in reverse? I have 2800 miles on my Spyder and it's coming up for inspection and the 3000 mile checkup. I don't have any problems in the upper gears. Thank you for your thoughts. Ride safe everyone.

zzneonzz
05-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing a noise that I never heard before when I put it in reverse? I have 2800 miles on my Spyder and it's coming up for inspection and the 3000 mile checkup. I don't have any problems in the upper gears. Thank you for your thoughts. Ride safe everyone.

What does the noise sound like?

McGone
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Could it be the brakes? I had noise of the brakes dragging when I backed up several time. :spyder2:

northramp
05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Is it a "clunk" when u first put it in to R ?

Dukester
05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
It's hard to describe because you have to use your words wisly but sounds like a hard rub, , it doesn't clunk into gear and it's not constent. It does it for a little and then stops and then comes back. I backed up to a longer distance to try and get a better idea what it might be, but I can't put my finger on it. When I first start letting the clutch out it doesn't make a sounds when I have it all the way out, is when it starts, a slight grid. Again thank you for your thoughts. Be safe to all and have a great Memorial Day. My son is in Iraq and I can't wait until he comes home.

Roger
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Dukster sorry i can,t help you but maybe you can help me tell your son i said THANK YOU. :pray::pray::pray:

NancysToy
05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
If it sounds like rubbing, and is coming from behind you rather than under you, it is probably the rear brake. For some reason it is noisier in reverse, and even noisier when turning in reverse. BRP couln't come up with a good answer for it on ours, but the tech did check the brakes, belt, swingarm bearings/bushings, and everything for looseness, and found no problems. Apperently inherent in the breed. BTW, ours didn't start doing it until the brake pads were worn a ways. Haven't tried new ones to see if it reverses the process, or Disk Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads to see if it will dampen the noise.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Dukester
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Roger, thank you for the well wishes. And my best wishes for all the families of soliders out there. It hard for us.

Dukester
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
To NancysToy, thank you for your thoughts on the matter. I print out all suggestions and fixes, so if I have to take it in the shop, I give them my copies and they love it. It helps make their jobs a little easier.

Krupps Power
05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
From our experience as well, it is the rear brake dragging. Not much to do about it but what Scotty said. We've also heard of rounding the edges of the pad to help with 'squeak' issues.

~Shane @ Krupp's