PDA

View Full Version : Dealer just lost all my future business

canamjhb
01-19-2018, 11:26 PM
I have always thought that a professional, trained pair of eyes on my machines was a good thing once in a while. So having my oil/filter changed and the bike looked over by the dealer was something I justified. Yesterday I had an appointment to have that service done. While waiting for almost 2 hours watching that no one had even lifter a finger to service my bike, I told the service manager that I was ready to leave and to cancel my "appointment". Well that got them going and he moved my bike out of sight. He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good. Said it would save me the cost of filters and labor because panels didn't need to be removed. I OK'd this. (In hind sight, I think this was a mistake) When It came time to pay the bill, they charged a full hours labor + oil cost. After I told them that they charged one hour labor for a "full" service including filters, etc. last time, they said they NOW charge 2 hours labor for a full oil, filter job and one hour for the suck job. After I objected, they did lower their labor cost to 1/2 hour. (Actually took them about 20 minutes). When they brought my bike to the delivery place, it was covered with water which apparently came from their washing area. Service manager offered to get me a rag to wipe it down. Told him to never mind. I have my own rags. Wiped my bike down in front of him and left. He knows I was pissed. I will do my own service from now on.

Edit. The person who I thought was the Service Manager was not. He was a Service Advisor. See my later posts when I dealt with the Manager.

jaherbst
01-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Your not doing any of us any favors unless you name the dealer. Changing oil without changing the filter is like chewing your food and spitting it out. I would never recommend this. You change the filter to drain "all" oil and any metal contaminants not to mention the acid build up in both the oil and filter.

Jack

Chupaca
01-19-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm surprised they even do that at a dealer..:yikes: the whole idea is to remove the drain plugs so the residue at the bottom drains out and the magnetic plug shows them things are not wearing out or breaking up. I would not have my oil sucked out the dipstick nor do it myself. I do my own and always have. Dealer does the break in service that's it...

oldguyinTX
01-19-2018, 11:39 PM
Two hours is pretty much the going rate at just about any dealer for a "full" oil change, that is, removing panels, draining - not sucking - the oil out from both the engine & transmission, new filters, O rings, crusch washers, all labor, etc. Hourly rates vary wildly from dealer to dealer. Parts are pretty much the same at any dealer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-20-2018, 01:21 AM
:yikes: .... I also have an RT with the 1330 engine .... I also do ALL my maintenance ..... I really cannot believe how sucking the oil out the filler tube is faster than just removing the two drain plugs ......Those drains aren't covered or hidden by ANY panels .....and as was said above getting the crap out with a suction device isn't going to happen ....... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

johnsimion
01-20-2018, 02:12 AM
No idea if this was good or bad, but I just had the oil changed on my new (2017) RT at the dealer a week ago. The total was $188, which included $73 for the "Spyder Oil Change Kit" (included oil, filter and whatever other parts they needed), $90 for one (1) hour labor, plus tax and some other fees.

youngers
01-20-2018, 05:48 AM
sounds like they clock watched the hours slip by , and gave the savings to you ! :yikes: if your cycle is like the 990 , the oil is in the reservoir , and gets pulled through the engine from there , if they tell you " suck the oil from there " where the 990 oil dip stick is , you left a lot of oil in the engine ... { saved the cycle dealer guys --- 1 oil filter --- O-rings --- and 4 quarts of oil }

mike1952
01-20-2018, 09:28 AM
in mobile al they get $350 for oil change

HankD
01-20-2018, 09:42 AM
If any Spyder dealership said they were going to change my oil by sucking it out of the dipstick hole without changing the oil filter or checking the magnetic plug, I would have simply said: YGBFSM! (You Gotta Be :cus:ing :cus:itting Me!). Then I would have asked for my ride back and ran like hell.

blacklightning
01-20-2018, 09:45 AM
No idea if this was good or bad, but I just had the oil changed on my new (2017) RT at the dealer a week ago. The total was $188, which included $73 for the "Spyder Oil Change Kit" (included oil, filter and whatever other parts they needed), $90 for one (1) hour labor, plus tax and some other fees.
That was a good price. There are 2 very close dealers to me, and they actually vary quite a bit. My oil change is normally around $220-240. I have a friend that has purchased all his bikes from them, and he pays $200, while I have another friend that they quoted $340 for the same oil change on his F3, and he actually bought it from that dealer.

asp125
01-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Your not doing any of us any favors unless you name the dealer. Changing oil without changing the filter is like chewing your food and spitting it out. I would never recommend this. You change the filter to drain "all" oil and any metal contaminants not to mention the acid build up in both the oil and filter.

Jack

Is it We Ride Powersports in Mesa? Or Ridenow in Chandler? Pretty easy to call them out since BRP doesn't have a vast dealer network.

Any dealer or non-dealer that tells me they'll change the oil by sucking it out of the dipstick will immediately be seeing my tail lights.

Bfromla
01-20-2018, 12:54 PM
I have always thought that a professional, trained pair of eyes on my machines was a good thing once in a while. So having my oil/filter changed and the bike looked over by the dealer was something I justified. Yesterday I had an appointment to have that service done. While waiting for almost 2 hours watching that no one had even lifter a finger to service my bike, I told the service manager that I was ready to leave and to cancel my "appointment". Well that got them going and he moved my bike out of sight. He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good. Said it would save me the cost of filters and labor because panels didn't need to be removed. I OK'd this. (In hind sight, I think this was a mistake) When It came time to pay the bill, they charged a full hours labor + oil cost. After I told them that they charged one hour labor for a "full" service including filters, etc. last time, they said they NOW charge 2 hours labor for a full oil, filter job and one hour for the suck job. After I objected, they did lower their labor cost to 1/2 hour. (Actually took them about 20 minutes). When they brought my bike to the delivery place, it was covered with water which apparently came from their washing area. Service manager offered to get me a rag to wipe it down. Told him to never mind. I have my own rags. Wiped my bike down in front of him and left. He knows I was pissed. I will do my own service from now on.
:shocked: Please name the dealer so I can avoid if in your area. :2thumbs:Thx

JerryB
01-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Hi canamjhb,

Re: He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good.

Until about 15 yrs ago, I had never heard of such a thing; 'sucking the oil out.'

Back then a friend's son worked in one of those auto quicky oil change places. He is the one who told me about this 'sucking' procedure.

Personally, I believe that we all get to do what we want with whatever we own. Because of this, I am not going to tell you what to do.

However, if it were me, I would go right back to the dealer, pay the costs for a complete oil change and never go back. Alternatively, find a different dealer; or maybe some independent motorcycle shop to do your oil changes.

Oil changes on my '08 engine are not so complex that anyone with mechanical skills cannot do it. That is why I recommend possibly finding that independent m/c shop to do it. You can buy everything you need for an oil change from BajaRon and take it to the shop of your choice.

That service mgr is beyond believeable.

Jerry Bumchen

Little Blue
01-20-2018, 02:33 PM
:yikes: That's JUST NOT RIGHT. Do us all a favor and TELL us the dealer/State. :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

pitzerwm
01-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Is it We Ride Powersports in Mesa? Or Ridenow in Chandler? Pretty easy to call them out since BRP doesn't have a vast dealer network.

Any dealer or non-dealer that tells me they'll change the oil by sucking it out of the dipstick will immediately be seeing my tail lights.

If you look/read here you will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING positive about a RideNow dealership.

ARtraveler
01-20-2018, 03:58 PM

That is pretty much the "going" rate. I don't mind spending the money at my dealer because I know everything gets done properly. :yes: Unfortunately, I am mechanically challenged so need help from the dealer when it comes to servicing the :spyder2:

ARtraveler
01-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Another card on the pile for naming the dealer. I would consider it as a public service to the rest of the members here.

The "suck" job is a perfect indicator that the dealer also "sucks." :thumbup:

BajaRon
01-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Changing just the oil without changing the filters does not comply with the warranty requirements. Plus, as stated above. It's not a good idea. Sad....

youngers
01-20-2018, 05:30 PM
if you folks in this area go too one of the cycle shops ask about oil sucking from the dip stick , this will give you an idea of who it is ...

DGoebel
01-20-2018, 06:34 PM
canamjhb, Sorry to hear you got such treatment, they don't deserve your patronage.
FYI, It's really not that hard to change the oil and filter yourself, I get my filter kit's from BajaRon and buy two kits at once. I get my Full synthetic oil (with appropriate ratings) from Amazon and know that I've got good filters and oil in the bike. It takes me longer to get up from the garage floor than draining the oil. (I'm 60 and not skinny).

canamjhb
01-20-2018, 06:59 PM
I have not had any good experience with Ride Now Power Sports so did not go there. We Ride Power Sports is about 2 miles from my home. That particular dealership has changed their name (and presumably ownership) 3 times in the last 10 years. The newest being in the last 10 months. There are only 2 people in the entire dealership that I recognize from the previous owner/name. Pretty chaotic in the entire store. What they were able to do in one hour last May now earns them 2 hours billing time.....? They charge $2.00 per minute. I will do my own from now on.

SpyderAnn01
01-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Wow! Suck job was right. And that particular chain of dealerships wonders why they have a bad reputation for service.

Bfromla
01-21-2018, 05:22 AM
I have not had any good experience with Ride Now Power Sports so did not go there. We Ride Power Sports is about 2 miles from my home. That particular dealership has changed their name (and presumably ownership) 3 times in the last 10 years. The newest being in the last 10 months. There are only 2 people in the entire dealership that I recognize from the previous owner/name. Pretty chaotic in the entire store. What they were able to do in one hour last May now earns them 2 hours billing time.....? They charge $2.00 per minute. I will do my own from now on.
:hun: So (to be sure)the name of the "SUCK" dealer is We Ride Power sports Mesa AZ correct??:dontknow::dontknow:

bushrat
01-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Another sad story of a poor service or sales experience.

For some thoughts on a possible solution/response see:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?110514-Spyder-Scorecard&p=1330677#post1330677

UtahPete
01-21-2018, 12:27 PM
:hun: So (to be sure)the name of the "SUCK" dealer is We Ride Power sports Mesa AZ correct??:dontknow::dontknow:
https://www.weridepowersports.com/

manxman
01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
:yikes: .... I also have an RT with the 1330 engine .... I also do ALL my maintenance ..... I really cannot believe how sucking the oil out the filler tube is faster than just removing the two drain plugs ......Those drains aren't covered or hidden by ANY panels .....and as was said above getting the crap out with a suction device isn't going to happen ....... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

I agree, it might take me 45-50 minuets for oil and filter. I drain the oil first and while it is draining I take off the panels by that time oil is drained. Install the filter, add the oil and button it up. Having magic mirrors helps. 2014 RT......1330.......

2dogs
01-21-2018, 03:16 PM
I've had way too many bad experiences over the years that finally turned me into a DIY'er. First, a quality dealership will never hide their service department from the customer's view. You may not go in it with out permission, but you can always view it at anytime. If you get a response to a question such as, "well that depends," watch out that person likely doesn't know what he/she's doing. Another one is regarding warrantee work. If you get "well,,,,,,, we'll have to see if that's covered or not by the warrantee." Again, they are looking for wiggle room to get you to pay prevailing shop rate for the repair. The responses you should receive are, "let us take a look at it and we can give you more accurate answer," or "let's check that first and it just might be covered by your warrantee." Questions met with positive responses first, are nearly always an indication of a competent trustworthy dealership.

gnorthern
01-22-2018, 01:06 AM

For a Spyder or BMW? I went into sticker shock when yearly service on my motorcycle jumped from $150 to $350 on a BMW 800.

gnorthern
01-22-2018, 01:12 AM
I've had way too many bad experiences over the years that finally turned me into a DIY'er. First, a quality dealership will never hide their service department from the customer's view. You may not go in it with out permission, but you can always view it at anytime. If you get a response to a question such as, "well that depends," watch out that person likely doesn't know what he/she's doing.

This whole thread is getting me nervous. When I bought my Spyder they had a deal where they pick up the Spyder in a 30 mile radius (they are in a town of 1100 people, and that will get them to all of Salem/Keizer), service it and deliver it back. Three services for $250. They said service normally costs $155 if I drop it off. Now I am wondering if they are going to suck out the oil and sent it back or worse do nothing.

DJFaninTN
01-22-2018, 02:15 AM
i know of a dealership where you cannot see their garage and you sure as heck are not allowed to talk to the technician to even ask a question. you must go thru the service advisor and then they will ask the tech your questions and then relay the info to you. crazy!!!

2dogs
01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
i know of a dealership where you cannot see their garage and you sure as heck are not allowed to talk to the technician to even ask a question. you must go thru the service advisor and then they will ask the tech your questions and then relay the info to you. crazy!!!

Yes it is! I would very suspect of that dealership.

"This whole thread is getting me nervous. When I bought my Spyder they had a deal where they pick up the Spyder in a 30 mile radius (they are in a town of 1100 people, and that will get them to all of Salem/Keizer), service it and deliver it back. Three services for $250. They said service normally costs $155 if I drop it off. Now I am wondering if they are going to suck out the oil and sent it back or worse do nothing."

I wouldn't be overly concerned, however, I'd investigate any suspicions you have with questions and personal contact. I think this dealer has a very good idea and is going the extra step in providing a valuable customer service. I could be wrong, but check it out and if it's good news, spread it around. Good dealers as well as poor dealers need the appropriate recognition. $155 is not bad if it includes a safety inspection other adjustments and any updates that may be required. It's certainly better than $300+ that's been reported here on this site.

ARtraveler
01-22-2018, 03:42 PM
For a Spyder or BMW? I went into sticker shock when yearly service on my motorcycle jumped from $150 to $350 on a BMW 800.

Since you have a 1330 and not a 998 you are lucky. The "valve check" service recommended every 14K miles (for 998's) adds another $800 or so to the package (very labor intensive). I did two of those before I got smart and decided they were not worth the effort.

canamjhb
01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
I contacted BRP care. They were very responsive and got back to me within just a couple of hours. The Service Advisor was wrong (as I thought he might be). In order to not jeopardize my warranty, both the oil AND filter need to be changed every 9,300 miles or one year which ever comes first. I will take this information back to the dealer and allow them the opportunity to "make it right". Stay tuned.....

Peteoz
01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
I contacted BRP care. They were very responsive and got back to me within just a couple of hours. The Service Advisor was wrong (as I thought he might be). In order to not jeopardize my warranty, both the oil AND filter need to be changed every 9,300 miles or one year which ever comes first. I will take this information back to the dealer and allow them the opportunity to "make it right". Stay tuned.....

.......and if push comes to shove, I bet your dealer will say that you agreed to the “suck” option as you were in a hurry and not prepared to wait until the shop could do the job properly, and their lawyers will back them up. Here’s hoping they decide to do the right thing by you :thumbup:

Pete

M109Dreamer
01-24-2018, 02:14 PM

I am very familiar with that dealership and lived just south of there, until about 2 years ago. I had similar experiences as yours. I even had to explain to the service advisor and mechanic what they needed to do to my M109 and Spyder before. I even pulled up the forums to show them the cause and fix before. That was years ago and when I first started riding. The problem with that is you either have them or Ride Now, which suck as well. There is the dealership out by Fountain Hills, we bought our Spyder from them with a Service Contract at the beginning and didn't find that they were much better, but they were decent in getting services done but always leaved the hand grips on the Spyder oily and never cleaned up the side of the motor from the SE filter. I lived in the Valley for the past 15+ years and was never able to find a decent wrench until I just decided to do my own.

One option you might be able to try is go to a "Motorcycles on Main" one Friday night and meet up will other Spyders and see if anyone does their own and see if you could pay them to work on your Spyder. I have done this a few times, and let them help and watch as I worked on their Spyder.

This way if you didn't know, they can educate some and help you do the maintenance in the future, atleast that was my intent when I worked on others bikes. I wasn't in it for the $$, but just to help someone out.

canamjhb
01-24-2018, 08:05 PM
I spoke with the new Service Manager about this. He was very receptive and said the owner hired him to "clean up" problems like I had. He said to bring the bike in and he will make sure I have a complete new oil AND filter change. He also told me he will have a "come to Jesus" talk with the service advisor who misled me. Appointment is set for this Friday and, in all fairness to the new manager, I will allow him an opportunity to fix the problem. Again, stay tuned.....

ARtraveler
01-24-2018, 09:16 PM
I spoke with the new Service Manager about this. He was very receptive and said the owner hired him to "clean up" problems like I had. He said to bring the bike in and he will make sure I have a complete new oil AND filter change. He also told me he will have a "come to Jesus" talk with the service advisor who misled me. Appointment is set for this Friday and, in all fairness to the new manager, I will allow him an opportunity to fix the problem. Again, stay tuned.....

If they follow through and keep their word--it sounds like your good to go. :yes:

canamjhb
01-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Dropped the bike off this morning. Full oil AND filter change at no charge to me. The new Service Manager is good to deal with. I am still not happy with the original Service Advisor. He is new also and my bet is he won't last long. I really hope the new Manager gets this place running like a good dealership should. I am cautiously optimistic.....

Peter Aawen
01-26-2018, 03:56 PM
So things are looking up! :thumbup:

Fat Baxter
01-26-2018, 09:39 PM
FYI: I read somewhere that all new Mercedes cars now use the "suck" method to change oil. In fact, there are no drain plugs.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2018, 12:19 AM
FYI: I read somewhere that all new Mercedes cars now use the "suck" method to change oil. In fact, there are no drain plugs.
:yikes:....Well that " SUCKS " ..... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:..... Mike :thumbup:

R FUN
01-27-2018, 01:28 PM
I guess I wont be trading my Mercedes in for a new one,Mine has a drain plug and can do all my own servicing myself. An SEC Grand Touring Sport Coup.
Roger