PDA

View Full Version : Electric company SJW snowflakes are trying to shame me

Rogue Hawk
01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
I got this email from ComEd informing me that I use more energy than my neighbors and I should be ashamed of myself. :lecturef_smilie: Notice they bold the word "You".

Environmentalist wackos are everywhere, it's scary.

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 11:05 AM
I got this email from ComEd informing me that I use more energy than my neighbors and I should be ashamed of myself. :lecturef_smilie: Notice they bold the word "You". Environmentalist wackos are everywhere, it's scary.

Do you run a welder or something?

Fatcycledaddy
01-19-2018, 11:06 AM
I got this email from ComEd informing me that I use more energy than my neighbors and I should be ashamed of myself. :lecturef_smilie: Notice they bold the word "You".

I get the same thing from consumers power here in MI.
I want to reply and tell them that they should be happy that I chose to have more electric appliances and fewer gas appliances in my house, therefor giving them a job and job security.

I wonder if it is another one of those government mandated things they have to now supply you with.

Fatcycledaddy
01-19-2018, 11:12 AM

You bring up a good point, I have a electric smoker that I run extensively, a large 3 phase air compressor in the garage, a wire welder and arc welder I use quite a bit, and a ERV ventilation unit in my house that runs an electric motor 24-7-365 exchanging air from inside to out.

None of my neighbors have any of those things.

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 11:19 AM
You bring up a good point, I have a electric smoker that I run extensively, a large 3 phase air compressor in the garage, a wire welder and arc welder I use quite a bit, and a ERV ventilation unit in my house that runs an electric motor 24-7-365 exchanging air from inside to out. None of my neighbors have any of those things.
Right. So, you can account for your increased usage and don't have to be concerned about it. Otherwise, you'd probably want to compare notes with your neighbors if you were trying to reduce your electric bill. I don't thing they're trying to shame you so much as provide you useful information.

asp125
01-19-2018, 11:25 AM
It's that pesky grow op, those things suck up your power.

http://cdna.1highscore.com/images/high_score_320x320.png

Saluda
01-19-2018, 11:55 AM
How much energy (materials) go towards all these mailings ? Mine always say I'm more efficient than my neighbors. Apparently they don't know we have a camp which contributes to our artificially low usage.

Bob Denman
01-19-2018, 12:18 PM

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 12:26 PM
How much energy (materials) go towards all these mailings ?
They're emails, so I'm thinking they don't take much energy to produce and 'mail'

wyliec
01-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Right. So, you can account for your increased usage and don't have to be concerned about it. Otherwise, you'd probably want to compare notes with your neighbors if you were trying to reduce your electric bill. I don't thing they're trying to shame you so much as provide you useful information.

I agree, and maybe he should run an extension cord (sized appropriately) to his neighbors house.

ofdave
01-19-2018, 01:20 PM
maybe it's the grow lights?

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 01:23 PM
I agree, and maybe he should run an extension cord (sized appropriately) to his neighbors house.
Which end goes to the neighbor?

Bob Denman
01-19-2018, 01:37 PM
maybe it's the grow lights?

He's in Illinois: not California or Colorado. :D

Fatcycledaddy
01-19-2018, 01:40 PM
They're emails, so I'm thinking they don't take much energy to produce and 'mail'
Mine is not an email. It is a real old fashioned snail mail letter.

Fatcycledaddy
01-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Still works, haven't you read Barack *****'s book?

Bob Denman
01-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Still works, haven't you read Barack *****'s book?

:D Actually... I haven't! :thumbup:
Is there anything in it that I need to know? :dontknow:

Rogue Hawk
01-19-2018, 02:01 PM

No, but I leave lights on and run the air and heat year round. I do that because I have pets. My place is situated under trees and my neighbors porch so my place is dark day and night. My pets are there 24/7 and I don't want them sitting in a dark, cold dungeon. They have emotions so such an environment is not good for them. When the lights are all off, it gets to them and they start crying.

I am not against to saving energy. What I resent is their approach. They act like i have no right to use energy and I am a horrible person for doing so. If they instead say, "We see you use more energy than your neighbors, so we would like to offer you some assistants on how to lower your usage". Then I would listen. With the way they act, it makes me defiant and more likely to do more of what they don't like.

Bob Denman
01-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Perhaps you should send your neighbors "Thank You" cards; for leaving so much electricity laying around for you... :roflblack:

Rogue Hawk
01-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Perhaps you should send your neighbors "Thank You" cards; for leaving so much electricity laying around for you... :roflblack:

Your a stinker :clap:

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 02:10 PM
No, but I leave lights on and run the air and heat year round. I do that because I have pets. My place is situated under trees and my neighbors porch so my place is dark day and night. My pets are there 24/7 and I don't want them sitting in a dark, cold dungeon. They have emotions so such an environment is not good for them. When the lights are all off, it gets to them and they start crying.

I am not against to saving energy. What I resent is their approach. They act like i have no right to use energy and I am a horrible person for doing so. If they instead say, "We see you use more energy than your neighbors, so we would like to offer you some assistants on how to lower your usage". Then I would listen. With the way they act, it makes me defiant and more likely to do more of what they don't like.
Kudos for taking care of your pets so well. I think you're reading more into that utility bill message than is there. nojoke

Bob Denman
01-19-2018, 02:30 PM
:agree: Your "Fur Kids" are lucky to have you! :firstplace:

Saluda
01-19-2018, 02:53 PM

They are not E mails, if they were I wouldn't have said what I did.

UtahPete
01-19-2018, 02:55 PM
They are not E mails, if they were I wouldn't have said what I did.
I think the OP said his were emails.

DGoebel
01-19-2018, 03:30 PM
I bet I cause my neighbors to get the same kinda notices, I have a 10 kW solar array on my south facing roof which feeds my house first and then sends the remainder off to the grid. So my actual usage can be higher than theirs, but the amount I "Get" from the utilities is wayyyy lesss... MWAHHHHHHH. At least till their computer programs catch up and all......
But before the solar panels went up, I too got these notices. They never took into account that I had a home based business (computer service and repair) and routinely have over 8 desktops and laptops running maintenance routines 24 7, or that my neighbors are all 2 person households and we're a 3 person household. Anyone could have a home with all electric heat and air, compared to the neighbor with a mixed HVAC system....

ARtraveler
01-19-2018, 03:37 PM
What has happened to customer appreciation, and job security? We sure don't want them closing down like Sams Club. :roflblack::roflblack:

Probably no discount for being one of their "better" customers either.

Saluda
01-19-2018, 03:49 PM
I think the OP said his were emails.

Correct, but you quoted me.

Joe T.
01-19-2018, 06:21 PM
We get an email from West Star (Local Kansas Electric Company) every week detailing energy usage. I never bother to open them. I suggest you don't bother either.

Joe T.

hypurone
01-19-2018, 06:49 PM

I get these. The thing is, I have every "efficient" upgrade under the sun done to my house outside of going solar. Windows, attic heat barrier, replaced heating/AC with 97% efficient units, HE washer/dryer, gas insert in fireplace blah blah blah... And somehow, I am still using xx amount more than my neighbors! Horsesh1t! I believe mine (and possibly yours and others) comes down to a ridiculously low "baseline" set for my house. Where they come up with this sh1t I have no idea. But even when my wife didn't work from home and we were gone 12 hours a day, I still got these notices! :banghead:

Chupaca
01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
I get them all the time both by mail and e-mail. Thing is I may have 15 people staying with me so on the basis of ownership (2) yeah..!! :yikes: I am blowing the neighbor away. I also know most of my neighbors are retired couples who turn in at 5:30 pm :roflblack::roflblack: Why do they care..:dontknow: I pay the bill.....

ofdave
01-19-2018, 07:34 PM

right you are,
didn't see that at first
so they don't smoke hippie lettuce in IL I guess

johnsimion
01-19-2018, 08:24 PM
A "snowflake" is someone who shows excessive sensitivity to something. ComEd sent what appears to be factual information and it's generated by a computer. The extreme reaction to the fact that ComEd's computer put the word "You" was put in bold print suggests that it's not really ComEd that's the "snowflake" here. I get the same kind of notifications. I take a look to see if there's anything out of the ordinary and if not, I throw them away. Case closed.

BoilerAnimal
01-20-2018, 02:56 AM
We get these notices from Ameren Illinois and I like getting info that lets us know where we stand in comparison to other similar size households. They don't take into account the number of residents at a specific address, rather it is a comparison of similar homes in your area.

https://amerenillinoissavings.com is their website that offers info that can be quite useful, such as ways to reduce energy usage, rebates, special offers etc, if you are so inclined. I'm sure that ComEd offers something very similar.

I think you might be a little too sensitive regarding this matter.

MisterP
01-20-2018, 09:06 AM
People shout “environmental paranoia” when an electric utility cautions them about their bill, and I’m sure there is some truth to that. But a much bigger issue is the deteriorating situation of the US power grid. It was built many years ago in most areas, and upgrades are few and far between. Utility companies everywhere are on a push to encourage users to reduce consumption and prevent overloads.

A good example is this year’s cold (for us) winter here in south FL. Most homes are heated by electric strip heaters in the air handlers, so think of everyone heating their homes with big electric toasters. It’s inefficient, expensive, and creates a big load on the grid. We are seeing brownouts and blackouts around the state, and the utilities are even connecting to customers through the TV stations, asking customers to reduce power when they can. It’s a real problem everywhere and we should get used to seeing prodding from our utility about our power consumption.

blacklightning
01-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Looks to me like you are winning!:thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
01-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Energy shaming!! :gaah: Can you imagine a business shaming their customers for buying their products??

I wonder what the public utility commission allows for their rate of return? If rate payers used less, would the rates go up? Ask to see what types of things they "expense" so they can show a lower return.

It's probably real, but I would compare the graphs to others received by your neighbors. Maybe they send the same thing to everyone to make them feel like they should reduce energy use. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
01-20-2018, 11:05 AM
:shocked: It's the Russians...

Navvet
01-20-2018, 11:28 AM

I don't know, looks pretty energy efficient to me ....

Last month I used 3223 Kwh .....

I wonder what your power company would say to me ????

Bob Denman
01-20-2018, 01:05 PM
I don't know, looks pretty energy efficient to me ....

Last month I used 3223 Kwh .....

I wonder what your power company would say to me ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkdIeY6P4s

GOZFST
01-20-2018, 01:51 PM
My "bill" last month was a $92 credit. I love those solar panels here in AZ.

Bob Denman
01-20-2018, 02:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCRUvX2D0E

pitzerwm
01-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Getting your usage stats each month is useful, being told that you are a bad person because of your usage which you pay for is BS. If my utility sent me one of those, me and the president of the utility would be having a little chat, which he wouldn't be forgetting for a long time.

And you are right when you conserve and use less, soon they are complaining to the state commission for a rate hike.

Rogue Hawk
01-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Kudos for taking care of your pets so well. I think you're reading more into that utility bill message than is there. nojoke

Well, extremism is the new normal, so I watch for it. If you look at the subtleties you can see what they mean. First of all, why do they see it as necessary to point this out? My energy needs are different from even my closes neighbors. So the comparisons are apples vs. oranges. Second, referring to someone as 'You" is often used just before a disparaging accusation. And notice the "You" is in bold. Like who will miss it if it was in normal font? These things are auto generated, they could have referred to me by name.

Youuuuuuuu..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GkvdbMzI0

UtahPete
01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Well, extremism is the new normal, so I watch for it. If you look at the subtleties you can see what they mean. First of all, why do they see it as necessary to point this out? My energy needs are different from even my closes neighbors. So the comparisons are apples vs. oranges. Second, referring to someone as 'You" is often used just before a disparaging accusation. And notice the "You" is in bold. Like who will miss it if it was in normal font? These things are auto generated, they could have referred to me by name.
Your feelings about this are valid enough. It's just not the only way to perceive it.

Bob Denman
01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
:clap: Nice scene from "KTB". :2thumbs:

Rogue Hawk
01-22-2018, 05:22 PM
:clap: Nice scene from "KTB". :2thumbs:

I'm Conan the Electrician :thumbup:

RinconRyder
01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
My "bill" last month was a $92 credit. I love those solar panels here in AZ.

I agree. Over the past three years I have paid only the $20/month "connect" fee to SRP. Not one cent in electric consumption.