PDA

View Full Version : My 917 project .....cont'd. .additional info 1/16/17

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Well I made some major progress today at 24 degree's F :roflblack: ...... there are some pics in my albums .... To review a bit .... As received from the orig. builder, the engine was up against my right shoulder ... in the passenger compartment .... Not acceptable .... So I needed to stretch the body about 14inches and also the frame the same amount. And because the rear was at 48 in from the ground and looked stupid , I needed to change the angle to drop the rear 10 in.,!! .... well to day I made some major corrections to the body and I decided to scrap His exhaust system and start over. He used a long tube header that was reversed so it was much higher than the engine and everything rear of it ..... my plan is to use a " shorty " equal length type that will run alongside the engine and gas tank inside the wheel wells ...... after removing the exhaust, I also removed the rear radiator which also had an 18" shrouded fan attached ....I plan to put a radiator in the front and run the lines alongside the frame ..... this alone will get me 7 inches of space from the rear ....... On the body, I removed the rear wheel wells by cutting out the 16 pop rivets that held them in place .... I then cut the rear fenders back 12 inches ........ now instead of adding 14plus inches to the rear section I think I will only have to add 4in. ....... Things aren't set in stone yet and I can get a few more inches by moving the Oil cooler and welding some new supports for the Gas tank ......... I'll try and get some more pics up tomorrow ( for my album )......and yes this isn't a Spyder so it's in the " Off topic section " so some people won't get to too upset .....:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:........OK pics have just been added in my album on the 917

Chupaca
01-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Good to hear there is progress on the 917 project..:clap::clap:don't worry about where you post it they all come to the General Forum anyway...:roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-17-2018, 07:16 PM
See my album for the 917 project ,..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-18-2018, 08:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc

safecracker
01-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Great job, Mike. Bruce

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Great job, Mike. Bruce After giving some further thought and investigating what might work, I think I can move the rear forward another 4 inches. What this would accomplish is, making the rear extension that needs to be added to the rear section even less than what I would have to add now....... I'll get a pic in the album that showed where the Engine was ......as originally created by the builder. ( it was 14 inches into the passenger compartment ).........Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
01-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Amazed. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :firstplace::firstplace::firstplace: